Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Jul 2, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #6,136 of 7,153
@Slater Thanks for the tip! I placed an order, wasnt able to get the $10 discount on Ali though.:frowning2:

I cant decide either I like or not the gold/black-color scheme but it could be worse. Its a shame that they don´t include multiple earpads anymore, that sounded interesting.

Can you tell how they compare to something like Meizu HD50 or possibly Creative Aurvana Live?

Jul 2, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #6,137 of 7,153
@Slater Thanks for the tip! I placed an order, wasnt able to get the $10 discount on Ali though.:frowning2:

I cant decide either I like or not the gold/black-color scheme but it could be worse. Its a shame that they don´t include multiple earpads anymore, that sounded interesting.

Can you tell how they compare to something like Meizu HD50 or possibly Creative Aurvana Live?

To get the $10 you use the code in the app.

5139CA29-D741-403D-B738-9931DA392BBF.png

Jul 6, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #6,138 of 7,153
Thanks for this. my first Ali Express buy. Always wanted a pair of all aluminum cans. Hope they arrive..
I wanted to share a really good deal on a ChiFi headphone.

Xiaomi is apparently clearing out stock of the 2nd generation Mi HiFi wired headphone. Gold is the only color available.

The headphone was originally $100-$120, and is being sold for $39 with coupon code. Also, during Aliexpress sales, you can use coupon-fu to get it even cheaper.

It’s an on-ear, closed headphone. All aluminum build, 40mm graphene driver, and made for Xiaomi by 1More. It’s very compact on the head, fits well, is very comfortable to wear, folds up, and includes a hard carry case.

Note that this is the 2nd gen version. The 1st gen had a beryllium driver, a different style of fake mesh grille, and came with multiple earpads. I’ve never heard the 1st gen, so I can’t tell you how this compares.

The sound is V shaped, but it’s got good midrange that isn’t super recessed. I guess it could be considered mild V shaped or U shaped.

It reminds me a lot of the 1More H1707 Triple Driver (a $300 headphone), in sound tuning, build, and fit. It’s basically the little brother of the H1707, and I can definitely tell that 1More used the Xiaomi HiFi as a testing/proving ground for the more advanced/expensive H1707.

The Xiaomi even has a secret unadvertised passive radiator, identical to the one used in the H1707. Which I guess makes it a ‘dual driver’ using 1More’s questionable marketing nomenclature (eye roll lol).

The earpads are removable (twist locking), but they’re proprietary. However, 3rd party replacement pads are available on Aliexpress. I ordered a set to see how the quality compares.

Anyways, if you’re looking for a very well built, knock around headphone that has a closed design, consumer tuning, and that you can wear outside without looking like an idiot, it’s a heck of a good deal.

It is 32ohm, so just like the H1707 it scales well with an amplifier. It is drivable from a phone, but not to ear shattering levels.

The Aliexpress seller is “Mi CC Store”, and it’s genuine and factory sealed.

CC4FCF8D-A1F9-4B63-9E6C-C08EF3D09A03.jpegEFE3CCB6-43A4-4DD6-AD91-3125DED131A7.jpeg33F8742B-47FC-43EE-9245-30C0BAB7670E.jpeg

Jul 18, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #6,139 of 7,153
Clamping force is perfect IMO. I have been wearing them non stop for about 6 hours so far, with no hotspots or glaring comfort issues. I only took them off once to take a break for dinner.

The on ear pads aren’t overly hot either, which can be overwhelming in summer with big ass circumaural pads like HM5 etc.

They would be more comfortable with larger pads, but that’s every on ear headphone in the world. I might try to mod 1 of my pairs with Beats pads like I did with 1 of my H1707, but we’ll see how I feel.

Note that since the headband is metal, the clamping force can be easily adjusted if need be.

Sub bass extension is deep. It’s not overwhelming or overly boosted though. For example, one of my goto test tracks for sub bass extension is Crazy by Seal. At 5:20 there is a very deep sub bass line, and the Xiaomi hits it with ease and plenty of rumble.

As far as treble, it’s very well done. Smooth, not harsh or piercing, not overly analytical. In fact, the treble on the H1707 can be hotter due to the ceramic tweeter.

The is a very polite and musical headphone. Tuned for the average consumer masses. They’re not TOTL giant killers though. But they’re a total steal at the $39 price, and I’m definitely going to be using the heck out of them (which I can’t say for a lot of my headphones).

Remember though, it’s closed so it’s got the typical closed in compressed sound. But 100% that’s to be expected, especially with on ear pads and compact ear cups with small internal volume.

I will also mention that I am not using the stock cable. I’m using a custom made SPC upgrade cable. I’ve done all my listening with the ES100 and also FiiO A5 amp. YMMV.

Hi, long time lurker here and I also have a few questions:

1. Would this pair be good for competitive gaming as well (directional footsteps)?

2. I know you said they were close to the 1more headphones, but can these be considered a substitute for them?

Thanks!

Jul 18, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #6,140 of 7,153
Hi, long time lurker here and I also have a few questions:

1. Would this pair be good for competitive gaming as well (directional footsteps)?

2. I know you said they were close to the 1more headphones, but can these be considered a substitute for them?

Thanks!

On #1, I don’t know because I don’t do any gaming. My understanding of gaming requirements (which may not be accurate), is that a big soundstage is best. If that is true, the soundstage in the Xiaomi is average.

For #2, be aware the 1More has a ceramic tweeter, which gives more treble extension. The Xiaomi does not have that. The 1More is more refined and mature overall, when compared to the Xiaomi.

So to your question of if it can be a substitute - it can in the same way that a Honda Civic can be a substitute for a Honda Accord, or in the same way that a Toyota Corolla can be a substitute for a Toyota Camry.

There are many things that are similar between the Civic and Accord (or Corolla and Camry). When you drive them back to back, you can tell that they are related, that they are made with similar parts, made by the same company, the suspension tuned by the same engineers, etc. But the Accord and Camry are more refined, more mature, more upgraded, roomier feeling, more expensive, and more premium when compared to the Civic and Corolla.

So in some ways, the Civic and Corolla could be considered substitutes for the Accord or Camry. But in doing so there would be trade offs and differences. In the end the true answer may be different from person to person.

One advantage of the Xiaomi over the 1More - the Xiaomi comes with an in-line mic, which is important for gaming is it not? The 1More doesn’t come with a mic cable.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #6,141 of 7,153
So to your question of if it can be a substitute - it can in the same way that a Honda Civic can be a substitute for a Honda Accord, or in the same way that a Toyota Corolla can be a substitute for a Toyota Camry.

Brilliant analogy!!

Jul 18, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #6,142 of 7,153
On #1, I don’t know because I don’t do any gaming. My understanding of gaming requirements (which may not be accurate), is that a big soundstage is best. If that is true, the soundstage in the Xiaomi is average.

For #2, be aware the 1More has a ceramic tweeter, which gives more treble extension. The Xiaomi does not have that. The 1More is more refined and mature overall, when compared to the Xiaomi.

There are many things that are similar between the Civic and Accord (or Corolla and Camry). When you drive them back to back, you can tell that they are related, that they are made with similar parts, made by the same company, the suspension tuned by the same engineers, etc. But the Accord and Camry are more refined, more mature, more upgraded, roomier feeling, more expensive, and more premium when compared to the Civic and Corolla.

So in some ways, the Civic and Corolla could be considered substitutes for the Accord or Camry. But in doing so there would be trade offs and differences. In the end the true answer may be different from person to person.

One advantage of the Xiaomi over the 1More - the Xiaomi comes with an in-line mic, which is important for gaming is it not? The 1More doesn’t come with a mic cable.

Thank you, that was everything I needed =]

I have my own microphone, so an inline one is not as important to me.

For gaming I believe you want an accurate imaging too, not just a wider soundstage. I'm kind of new to this audio rabbithole so I'm not sure of all the terms.

I'm going to assume the 1more has a wider soundstage as well?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #6,143 of 7,153
Thank you, that was everything I needed =]

I have my own microphone, so an inline one is not as important to me.

For gaming I believe you want an accurate imaging too, not just a wider soundstage. I'm kind of new to this audio rabbithole so I'm not sure of all the terms.

I'm going to assume the 1more has a wider soundstage as well?

Yes, it’s still a closed headphone but it definitely has a wider soundstage than the Xiaomi. But the 1More is a $300 headphone (originally), so it is to be expected to be way better in all regards.

My take on it is to try the Xiaomi. You’re not going to get a better quality headphone for $39 or less. It just isn’t going to happen. If it works for your gaming, then Bob’s your uncle. Otherwise, it is really enjoyable for music.

In fact, I bought yet ANOTHER pair this last sale. I wasn’t planning on it, but the seller had a $2 off $39 coupon, AND I won a $3 off $30 coupon from Aliexpress. So I scooped up another pair of Xiaomis for $34.99, which is just unbelievable.

I plan on heavily modding this set, and I can’t even get a bare headphone shell with this level of build quality for $34.99.

That’s why I say you really have nothing to lose.

And yes, the imaging is quite good. Remember it is v shaped, so I don’t know with gaming how ideal a v shaped headphone is. Maybe someone else would know? Maybe midrange human voices would be too recessed, and explosions would be too boosted? I really don’t know, so I apologize for my lack of FPS gaming knowledge. I grew up in 1980s arcades, so I can tell you anything you want to know about Joust, QBert, Burger Time, or Donkey Kong. But the latest Call of Duty or Crysis, unfortunately not.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #6,144 of 7,153
Yes, it’s still a closed headphone but it definitely has a wider soundstage than the Xiaomi. But the 1More is a $300 headphone (originally), so it is to be expected to be way better in all regards.

My take on it is to try the Xiaomi. You’re not going to get a better quality headphone for $39 or less. It just isn’t going to happen. If it works for your gaming, then Bob’s your uncle. Otherwise, it is really enjoyable for music.

In fact, I bought yet ANOTHER pair this last sale. I wasn’t planning on it, but the seller had a $2 off $39 coupon, AND I won a $3 off $30 coupon from Aliexpress. So I scooped up another pair of Xiaomis for $34.99, which is just unbelievable.

I plan on heavily modding this set, and I can’t even get a bare headphone shell with this level of build quality for $34.99.

That’s why I say you really have nothing to lose.

And yes, the imaging is quite good. Remember it is v shaped, so I don’t know with gaming how ideal a v shaped headphone is. Maybe someone else would know? Maybe midrange human voices would be too recessed, and explosions would be too boosted? I really don’t know, so I apologize for my lack of FPS gaming knowledge. I grew up in 1980s arcades, so I can tell you anything you want to know about Joust, QBert, Burger Time, or Donkey Kong. But the latest Call of Duty or Crysis, unfortunately not.

Sweet, you've already explained way more than I expected and I have a 100% better idea of it now.

Keep on being awesome

Jul 18, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #6,145 of 7,153
Jul 19, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #6,146 of 7,153
Here's an interest pair that Amazon actually pitched to me through their algorithms, no doubt based on the fact I was looking at other planar magnetic headphones (with 60mm drivers apparently, according to seller in response to question) on Amazon at the time for USD $179.99:

SEAPHY WB-101PD Bluetooth Over-Ear Planar Magnetic Headphones Wireless Collapsible Open Back HiFi Headphone with 3.5MM Audio Cable/APTX-HD Support https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0857HQWRK/

Screenshot 2020-05-01 22.19.46.png
Specifications:
Model:WB-101PD
Type:Bluetooth Planar Magnetic Headphones
Bluetooth Version:Bluetooth 5.0
Connection Distance: 10m
Impedance:22Ω
Sensitivity:90dB
Frequency Response Range: 10 ~ 40kHz
Total Harmonic Distortion:<0.2%(@1kHz 1mW)
Rated Input Power:50mW
Maximum Input Power:200mW
Channel Balance:<2dB(@100Hz-5kHz)
Supporting Agreement:HSP/HFP/A2DP/AVRCP/APTX/APTX-HD/
Battery Capacity:800mAh 3.7V
Net Weight:260g
Package Size: 23.1*18.2*9 cm
Accessories: 1 * charging cable,
1 * audio cable

I googled MaxFun WB-101PD since that's the name clearly on the picture and stumbled on what appears to be the manufacturer since clearly "SEAPHY" is not the manufacturer:

http://en.maxfun-audio.com/product/118.html

Not a whole lot on it and no serious reviews of it yet that I could find.... so of course I ordered it sight unseen today and it has shipped and is supposed to arrive tomorrow to my favorite Amazon Locker right down the street from me. :)

There is a lightening deal on AMZ for $152.00. It's very tempting despite liking my current BT cans alot.

Jul 20, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #6,147 of 7,153
Jul 22, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #6,149 of 7,153
I finally got the Gold Planar GL400 (open version). Took six weeks to arrive. I guess Covid-19 is still affecting the deliviries.
IMG_20200516_191545.jpg

Since there is little information availaible on these headphones I'll start by correcting what has been written about these headphones elsewhere. There is a review that states "You get a well-padded headband with a good albeit plastic mechanism to adjust for sizing. The earcups swivel and pivot which aids the comfort somewhat. " First of all the slider mechanism is made of metal, not plastic. What is more important is that earcups do not pivot. The cups swivel 180 degrees so you can lay them flat but the cups do not pivot. To make it clear by pivoting I mean the vertical movement of the cups which makes them adjust to your headshape.

Cups on Beyerdynamic T1 tilt freely to achieve proper fit.
IMG_20200516_193311__01.jpg

Allmost all headphones do that to some extent because without pivot mechanism it is unlikely most people get a comfortable fit. GL400 and Martin Logan Mikros 90 are only headphones I can think of that have no pivot mechanism whatsoever. Kind of makes me wonder how someone who reviews headphones professionally can miss something like that.

As you can see from this inside pic there is no hidden mechanism that allows the cups to tilt.

IMG_20200516_163428.jpg

So why am I making such a big fuzz about lack of this pivot mechanism?

1) This design makes the headphones extremely uncomfortable

2) It affects sound quality in a very negative way

These are propably the most uncomfortable headphones I've ever had. Generally I don't even find on-ear headphones uncomfortable. The clamping force is concentrated mostly on the upper portion of the ear.

Look how it fits on my measurement kit.
IMG_20200516_165157.jpg
IMG_20200516_165142.jpg
It is a pain to wear and it also leaves lower parts lacking seal which of course affects sound quality. GL400 sounds hollow and depending on seal issues can lack bass. It sounds like listening to music through a metal tube. Loudness like, fatiquing, reverby mess. Upper treble is severely recessed. Cymbals lack shimmer and presentation in general is lacking air. Lot of these negatives could have been avoided with a pivot system. When I push the cups near my jaw things clear up nicely. Bass is still soft and loose sounding for a planar but midrange clarity is improved so much that I think these headphones actually have potential. Treble is still quite nonexistent no matter what I do.

Few words about earpads... Stupid fixed headband system is not the only culprit when it comes to lack of comfort. Earpads suck. Pads look quite nice on pictures but the foam inside is too soft and the actual soft part of the pads is only about half of what you'd guess by looking at them.

This is the actual thickness of the earpads
IMG_20200516_195859.jpg

I wanted to do some measurements but on ear headphones are always tricky with mini dps ears. It is even more tricky with headphones like gl400 that don't adapt to headshape at all. So I taped the headphones on the measurement rig.

IMG_20200516_171243.jpg

So the measurement is iffy at best. However that is pretty much how it sounds to my ears. Shouty, loudness like midrange lacking any higher frequencies. Channel balance is nice but because of the tape job I did that can't be trusted.
Gold Planar GL400.jpg

These headphones could have potential with different headband and more comfortable earpads. Some mods to bring out the highs and lower the 1khz-3khz region to tone down the shouty loudness effect. Frequency response has no weird dips or peaks. I can't think of a cheap headphone that is so linear. It has great bass extension down to 20hz. If someone came up with proper mods these could easily be the best headphones under $100. Technicalities are there but I'm kind of pissed that Gold Planar released this mess that is more like a prototype than a finished product.

The housing they used on this headphone is a generic one. I had dick smith vt-h68's which look a lot like and those had a all metal housing. On gl400 cups are plastic. So they took a very plain design and downgraded from metal to plastic. Many major brands use this design.

1589652034754.png

I can't say for certain but if gold planar got their parts from Shenzhen Vtsonic they should have atleast used the better model vt-h63. If this sounds or looks familiar it's because not long ago I recommended rebrand kit sound milano in this thread. GL400 with those pads and pivot function could have been a homerun.
1589652303246.png

Stil... if someone want's to give GL400 a go, good news is that ear pads can easily be replaced. Attachement ring is not glued on so you can use any pads you like that are about the right size.
IMG_20200516_172211.jpg

Other things:

- Very light for a planar. Reported weight is 160g.
- Cable is microphonic
- Quite easy to drive, straight out of a oneplus 6 it was decent.

I have a pair of these & they were quite hot sounding in the lower midrange to me. Most natural reverb in music resides in the lower midrange & on mine the reverb was in some cases over powering other more direct sounds. High frequencies were almost nonexistent but what little there was was pleasing to the ear.

I largely corrected the excess lower midrange by adding a second foam piece behind the felt damping pad. This pressed the felt pad up against the back of the driver more firmly increasing the damping.

Bass still remained strong but more detailed, they were already pretty detailed in the bass stock. That bass did take on a slightly dryer texture though which some may not like. Others may like the improved detail though. If the recording has a lot of texture & reverb though that is still revealed in it's full glory.

Treble was slightly better in level but not enough so I cut another piece of foam from the packaging that the headphones came in & placed that one in front of the driver behind the grill cloth. This further increased damping very slightly to the midrange & improved the high frequencies even more to where they are just about perfect in level. Not too bright but not too dull either. The esses in vocals are more clearly delineated but not harsh. Cymbals show more sparkle & detail but still almost never harsh. It only really gets harsh on my copy of Supertramp's Breakfast In America which is really very hot in the highs & I believe clipped as no amount of EQ gets rid of the harshness on any headphone or speaker that I have heard to date.

The balance sounds about perfect to me now. Just enough life in the high frequencies to be engaging but not enough to be harsh. If the recording is dry the sound is but if there is lots of reverb in recording it can sound very wet indeed but never drowning out other direct sounds like it did originally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back