Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Jan 7, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #421 of 7,153
Looks like the AliExpress seller of the Yenonas has a new version called "OneOdio" with slightly different design and... metal sliders!
Oneodio-Wired-Headphones-Studio-Professional-DJ-Headphone-with-Microphone-Over-Ear-Monitor-Studio-Headphones-DJ-Stereo.jpg

Great find! I wonder if sound changed or they just upped the build quality

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #422 of 7,153
Great find! I wonder if sound changed or they just upped the build quality

It is a great find, but a note of caution is appropriate here:

I'm looking at the "OneOdio" listing on Aliexpress, and notice the 5 pictures shown there illustrate 3 different iterations of the basic design:

-- Top picture and 3rd down show the Yenona variant I was unable to purchase in 2 attempts (ie, white stitching around outside/front of each earpad, w/no maroon color anywhere)
-- The 2nd picture down shows the maroon-themed Yenona I received both times I ordered (1st time the headphones were defective, then I reordered and got a good pair)
-- The 4th and 5th pictures down apparently show this new "OneOdio" design.

Net/net: You probably have no idea which of the 3 iterations you'd get when ordering...whether you get Yenona's vs OneOdio, and if Yenona's, which color scheme.

As for actual physical changes in the OneOdio version--all I can see is that the plastic earcup sliders have been replaced with metal. I guess that's good, but IMO it doesn't matter much, since the plastic sliders work pretty well for me. That leaves open the question asked by @crabdog (I, too, wonder if the sound has been tweaked).

Another thought: anyone reading this string knows that a relatively comparable headphone design appears in 5-6 iterations (ISK MD-9000/LyxPro HS-30/Marantz MPH-2, etc). We may be seeing something like that w/the Yenona design, where it's getting rebadged w/ or w/o actual design changes.. If so, we may see other iterations coming along.

Jan 7, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #424 of 7,153
Alright. Just stay far away from status audio. Terrible customer service. Still no response from their customer service. Checking their Twitter shows there are other buyers who have equally bad experiences.

Something is wrong with my package. It's probably lost, but when status audio refuses to respond to my emails, there's not much I can do to bring it up to the shipping company.

I'll probably just try to set a PayPal dispute

I doubt their products are good enough to be worth the risk you take in dealing with them. ISK seems much more promising

I'm sorry to hear this. Don't use a mobile phone, can't use twitter, so not aware of problems w/Status Audio, beyond the (very occasional) Amazon comment expressing dissatisfaction w/them (not a lot of that, really).

I've had a far-above average experience w/Status Audio in buying the CB-1 (currently 2+ days into burn-in and sounding pretty good)--but if you had the opposite experience, that gets my attention.

I hope you get it resolved, get your money back, etc.

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #425 of 7,153
I'm sorry to hear this. Don't use a mobile phone, can't use twitter, so not aware of problems w/Status Audio, beyond the (very occasional) Amazon comment expressing dissatisfaction w/them (not a lot of that, really).

I've had a far-above average experience w/Status Audio in buying the CB-1 (currently 2+ days into burn-in and sounding pretty good)--but if you had the opposite experience, that gets my attention.

I hope you get it resolved, get your money back, etc.

Twitter isn't just mobile phone app lol

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #426 of 7,153
UPDATE: My 2nd pair of Marantz MPH-2's arrived yesterday. After 1 day of burn-in, this is what I hear, compared to my nearly identical LyxPro HS-30's (both w/stock pads):

-- Despite minor physical differences, the Marantz MPH-2's and LyxPro HS-30's sound identical. After 1 hour comparing them (same HP amp, volume & tunes), if there's any differences, they're too subtle for me to hear.

-- These inexpensive headphones sound extremely good to me. Every part of the frequency spectrum is there, and it's pleasing, no abnormal sounds or fatigue. The highs contain lots of detail, but aren't peaky; the mids are also very detailed, but not forward; and the bass is amazing--they go low w/kick, but w/o intruding on the mids. There's even good soundstaging for closed backs...not quite as good as the Yenona's (my closed back soundstage champs), but more than one would expect.

The bass does deep & hard on well-produced studio rock/R&B (electric bass & synths). Then I listen to jazz string bass and the instrument sounds perfect--the body, the strings, and note plucks are audible, just as they should be.

I like the yellow-text-on-black background design of the Marantz' (handsome headphones IMO), and I'll keep this pair  (gave away the 1st pr of these, and regretted it quickly). I'll either sell or gift the LyxPro's pretty soon.

Same w/the Status Audio CB-1's, a well thought out, good sounding headphone that doesn't quite equal the Marantz'/LyxPros in comfort and sound.

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #427 of 7,153
We all hear differently. I prefer the soundstage and overall sound of the Lyx over the Yenona, both with HM5 pads

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #428 of 7,153
I do, too...though I'm still wrestling w/the Yenona's, trying to fine tune their (suddenly) peak treble. The HM5s were an improvement on them overall--soundstage got even bigger, and bass got more controlled--except that IMO treble is too peaky. Don't think it's the pads; the Yenona's had started sounding bright even w/the stock pads.

I have one more fabric insert tweak to try. I keep hoping the Yenona's sound will pull together and be it was at the start (great sound).

Jan 9, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #429 of 7,153
  I do, too...though I'm still wrestling w/the Yenona's, trying to fine tune their (suddenly) peak treble. The HM5s were an improvement on them overall--soundstage got even bigger, and bass got more controlled--except that IMO treble is too peaky. Don't think it's the pads; the Yenona's had started sounding bright even w/the stock pads.

I have one more fabric insert tweak to try. I keep hoping the Yenona's sound will pull together and be it was at the start (great sound).

Why not to try amplitude corrector filter like with HD-681? Lot more fine tuning settings.

Jan 9, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #430 of 7,153
So, how is the build quality on the cb-1's? Plastic bands are a major turn off, but if they're sturdy, well built, and potentially easy to mod to a metal band, then I'll keep em instead of returning them. That is of course, if they do arrive.

You said that the marantz are better than the cb-1's. The cb-1's were about twice the price of ISK mdh-9000's haha. Really starting to regret my buy.

Also kind of curious about what Zeos would think about the marantz/ISK's. He loved the cb-1's, and if the marantz are better, then I'm sure he'd be all over these

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #431 of 7,153
  Why not to try amplitude corrector filter like with HD-681? Lot more fine tuning settings.

Can you explain what you mean by "amplitude corrector filter"? Is this software EQ? I don't know diddly about the HD-681. Just looked around, read some reviews, but no one mentioned anything like this filter.

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #432 of 7,153
So, how is the build quality on the cb-1's? Plastic bands are a major turn off, but if they're sturdy, well built, and potentially easy to mod to a metal band, then I'll keep em instead of returning them. That is of course, if they do arrive.

You said that the marantz are better than the cb-1's. The cb-1's were about twice the price of ISK mdh-9000's haha. Really starting to regret my buy.

Also kind of curious about what Zeos would think about the marantz/ISK's. He loved the cb-1's, and if the marantz are better, then I'm sure he'd be all over these

The CB-1's strike me as a pretty competent "total package," a design that was well planned & executed. Everything about them reflects competent, on purpose design: little things like the comfort of the headband (so many headphones miss the mark w/insufficient padding on the underside), and most of all the earpads, which are really good. In fact, I've never seen earpads exactly like this:

-- they're completely round in outer shape (circular, not oval like my favorite aftermarket pads, the HM5s
-- but the inner opening where the ear goes is oblong, not circular, which maximized comfort
-- no doubt this was all thought out in terms of sound, because the sound is very smooth, competent, no obvious errors.

Just about every part of this headphone is plastic, but it's well executed. I don't /experience it as the designer "cheaping out," overtly saving money at the cost of durability. And the exensive use of plastic obviously contributed to their low weight, which makes them easy to wear.

Is the CB-1's durability optimal...will they last forever? Hell, no. But neither will any of my cherished inexpensive Chinese headphones. The LyxPro HS-30's/Marantz MPH-2's feel more solid and substantial than either the CB-1's or the Yenona's, but it's just a question of degree. I never take headphones out of the house, so I won't find out if durability is an issue. Still, the CB-1's are the only headphone I own that I could imagine commuting with, using outside. They're relatively compact (for a 50mm driver design) and light. Also not terribly obtrusive-looking on one's head.

I'm planning to either give my CB-1's to a good friend, or sell them. The reasons are simple: I have too many closed headphones right now, and the CB-1's are just a bit less impressive to me than the others. Also, I have a large head and have the earcups extended to the max. They fit OK, but don't have that extra wiggle room the other designs do (purely a physical reaction on my part, based on anatomy...it would be different for others).

The CB-1's sound very good, relatively similar to the others, but something has to give, and it will be them. But that's just me at this stage in my desktop audio journey. If the CB-1's had been my first headphone, I'd be crazy over them.

As for Zeo, hard to know how he'd react to the Marantz/ISK's. They certainly wow me; and my brother, to whom I gave my 1st pair of Marantz', had his mind thoroughly blown when I told him they cost me just $40. He thinks they sound amazing and assumed they cost hundreds.

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #433 of 7,153
2nd UPDATE: I'm happy to report that my Yenona's are back to sounding really good.

For the past 4-5 weeks I've been trying various things to get the Yenona's sounding good again, after they'd started sounding bright w/boomier bass on the stock earpads (something I still can't explain/understand). Anyway, I tried changing pads multiple times, ending up w/the HM5s recommended by others in this string. That helped pull the bass back into line, but the treble remained unacceptably bright.

So I tried 8-9 different combinations of fabric +/- paper inserts into the bottom/front of each pad, to fine-tune the treble. Tried 2-3 kinds of cotton & cotton/lyrcra, with addition of a layer of toilet paper (the headphone modder's friend!), and recently, layers of fine tissue paper of the king you find surrounding gift items in boxes.

Finally tonight I found a combination that totally works (1 layer of cotton/lycra + 2 layers of thin tissue paper). And suddenly the Yenona's are back! They sound good again.

Admittedly, this is a fun, V-shaped sound signature. The bass, even controlled by the HM5 pads, is still elevated somewhat; the highs, despite the inserts, still sparkle a bit; and the midrange is not quite as "present" as I hear from some other headphones. Nevertheless, this is a sound I enjoy & appreciate.

I have 1-2 other headphones that have better "technicalities" than the Yenona's, and one more is on the way. No matter--I really like what the Yenona's can do.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #434 of 7,153
well, im enjoying the yenona with a maceton aptx adapter. For me the earpads feels better than the hm5, just big enough to to fully go over the ears and close them. The sound is better than the ausdom m05 with hm5 pads, but the ausom is better for bluetooth etc.

The yenona did give me a small 6.35mm to 3.5 adapter cable so the seller is one of the best on ali

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #435 of 7,153
I'm loving the B8 more and more nowadays, I'm using my DT150 only for movies (because of the cable)

I was wondering though, all the hp mentioned (at least the one that I've read) are in the sub100 range. Are there any good chinese headphones in the $200-300 range? Because if a $80 sounds that good, I can't imagine what they can accomplish with more (especially when they don't have to bother with marketing)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back