Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Jan 6, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #406 of 7,153
UPDATE: The Status Audio CB-1 headphone arrived today. Straight out of the box (packing is spare but sufficient), and literally cold, they sounded amazingly good.

After 5-6 hrs of burning in, they warmed up and sounded a little different/better--quite balanced, composed, with no frequency range exaggerated. The bass in unobtrusive until there's some in the music, then it's all there. More burn-in is underway (too early for big sound conclusions).

What's weird is how similar the CB-1's design is to the Marantz MPH-2 & LyxPro HS-30: they're physically similar in dimensions, also rather similar in sound. Besides the (IMO) somewhat muted and respectful color scheme of the CB-1's, the differences I can see so far are:

1. The CB-1 has somewhat less absolute extension on the headband sliders. I have a very large head and the CB-1's fit me comfortably, but the earcups are extended to the max. In contrast, the Marantz MPH-2 & LyxPro HS-30 also fit very comfortably but (in my case) have a some range of extension left over. The CB-1's may be a better fit for people with small heads.

2. The padding on the underside of the CB-1's headband is very comfortable--perfect. The padding on the Marantz MPH-2 & LyxPro HS-30, less so (though it's not a real issue--they're still quite comfortable).

3. And the CB-1's seem to have a bit less clamping pressure--they're just about perfect: not too much or too little pressure. The Marantz MPH-2 & LyxPro HS-30, on the other hand, have just a bit more pressure IMO.

My 2nd pair of Marantz MPH-2's arrive on Mon. 1/9th. If they work properly &sound as good as I remember the 1st pair did, I'll probably sell the LyxPro.

And if the CB-1 continues to sound like a near clone of the other 2, I'll probably end up selling those, too. No sense having 3 sonic clones.

Plus I still have the Yenona's--still playing around with fabric inserts to the HM5 pads on those, tweaking the treble. They're great headphones, physically lighter & somewhat more "fun" in sound profile than the Marantz MPH-2 & LyxPro HS-30; I'm still trying to get them back to sounding as fine as they did at the start.

Lol you should pickup the isks and see how they sound in comparison, since we are assuming they are the exact same.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #407 of 7,153
Hello Pharmaboy, could you do a comparison of the build quality of CB-1 and the LyxPro/Marantz? I have the older Somic efi-82mt but the left headband slider has broken and, while I am holding them together with electrical tape, I am looking for a similar sounding replacement.
The slider on the LyxPro looks like it's metal.

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #408 of 7,153
Hello Pharmaboy, could you do a comparison of the build quality of CB-1 and the LyxPro/Marantz? I have the older Somic efi-82mt but the left headband slider has broken and, while I am holding them together with electrical tape, I am looking for a similar sounding replacement.
The slider on the LyxPro looks like it's metal.

Sure.

Despite their similarities in design/shape, it's pretty easy to tell the differences between the CB-1 and the ISK MD-9000/LyxPro HS-30/Marantz MPH-2's:

1. As you point out, in the CB-1, the sliding shaft of the earcup extender is plastic (black plastic, to be specific) vs metal in the others.  And the CB-1's sliders (despite being marked identically w/raised length segments) operate with less certainty/positiveness, compared to the others.

2. The absolute earcup extension/length of the CB-1 is somewhat less than the others.

3. The inside of the earpad of the CB-1 is well padded (better than the others).

4. And the CB-1 headband is more flexible--its clamping pressure is somewhat lower than the others.

5. Finally, the CB-1 weighs somewhat less than the others. Part of that is the plastic sliders--I also think the outside of the earcups being all plastic (vs some metal in the earcups of the others) contributes to lower weight.

In conclusion, these are clearly different headphones, despite surface similarities.

I think the ISK MD-9000's have the clear edge in durability over the CB-1. On the other hand, I wouldn't hesitate to take the CB-1's for commuting/traveling (because they're lighter/slightly less bulky).

I'll know better in 3-4 days whether the CB-1's sound is comparable. I know from early listening that it's "in the ballpark," but the fact is the ISK MD-9000/LyxPro HS-30/Marantz MPH-2's are IMO the best-sounding headphones I've ever had...so the CB-1 has to establish real equivalence to that standard.

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #409 of 7,153
Sure.

Despite their similarities in design/shape, it's pretty easy to tell the differences between the CB-1 and the ISK MD-9000/LyxPro HS-30/Marantz MPH-2's:

1. As you point out, in the CB-1, the sliding shaft of the earcup extender is plastic (black plastic, to be specific) vs metal in the others.  And the CB-1's sliders (despite being marked identically w/raised length segments) operate with less certainty/positiveness, compared to the others.

2. The absolute earcup extension/length of the CB-1 is somewhat less than the others.

3. The inside of the earpad of the CB-1 is well padded (better than the others).

4. And the CB-1 headband is more flexible--its clamping pressure is somewhat lower than the others.

5. Finally, the CB-1 weighs somewhat less than the others. Part of that is the plastic sliders--I also think the outside of the earcups being all plastic (vs some metal in the earcups of the others) contributes to lower weight.

In conclusion, these are clearly different headphones, despite surface similarities.

I think the ISK MD-9000's have the clear edge in durability over the CB-1. On the other hand, I wouldn't hesitate to take the CB-1's for commuting/traveling (because they're lighter/slightly less bulky).

I'll know better in 3-4 days whether the CB-1's sound is comparable. I know from early listening that it's "in the ballpark," but the fact is the ISK MD-9000/LyxPro HS-30/Marantz MPH-2's are IMO the best-sounding headphones I've ever had...so the CB-1 has to establish real equivalence to that standard.

Hey i noticed you have the philips x2s, what is your opinion on the lynxpro/marrantz compared to those? Its funny because they are not the most expensive pair you own, but you say they are the best. I wish i had more closed cans to compare to. When i compare the isk mdh9000 is my senn 598s its like apples and oranges and i like them both for different reasons. The main reason the 598s are a problem is they disturb others, im not sure everyone would like Vitas as much as i do, lol.

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #410 of 7,153
Hey i notoced you have the philips x2s, what is your opinion on the lynxpro/marrantz compared to those?

Excellent question. Why would I say that, as the X2's are nearly 4X the price of LyxPro HS-30's or Marantz MPH-2's?

I do love the X2's. They were the 1st headphone that "locked in" for me & really suited my sonic tastes. They're rather large, impressive, open-backed headphones. They sound more spacious than closed headphones, with a bit more distance between the performance & listener. A friend came over 2 weeks ago and listened to some music w/the X2's. He was really wowed .... "These are beautiful headphones." Yes, they are.

On the other hand, I respond viscerally to the impact of good closed headphones. The bass/lower midrange hits a little harder w/the LyxPro HS-30's and Marantz MPH-2's, which also seem to have some sub-bass (more than the X2's do). The X2's deliver sound all sound, including bass, a little more softly. They're very relaxing.

The X2's have what I consider "gently scooped" mids, just slightly down vs bass & treble. By comparison, stock LyxPro HS-30's and Marantz MPH-2's have very even sound across the entire frequency spectrum. I could see them being used for studio monitoring as well as "fun" listening...but not the X2's.

Recently I've tried HM5 extra thick pleathers on the LyxPro's. Found they increase treble slightly, so inserted 1 layer of thin cotton/lycra + 1 layer of toilet paper into the base of the earcups (not behind them--too much trouble). Anyway, the result is maye a touch more treble than stock--but from the lower midrange down, these headphones hit like a sledge-hammer. I really respond to this quality of impact. No doubt this modified sound isn't technically as flat./even as stock (and I really do like the stock pads' sound a lot). Point is, these headphones readily go in that direction if pushed. Their sound is malleable. They also have a surprising amount of soundstaging for closed headphones.

By contrast, the X2's big velour pads come off fairly easily, but can't be practically replaced. Anyway I have no urge to replace them: Phillips used velours to dial in their specific sound: warm, bassy, and at the same time, somewhat refined & delicate. They're great the way they are IMO. Not going to try to make them into something different.

I doubt I'll ever sell the X2's (to me they're big, beautiful, soothing headphones). I find myself listening to the LyxPro HS-30's and Marantz MPH-2's more often, and more intently. But both designs totally work for me.

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #411 of 7,153
Pharmaboy, can You say anything about Somic V2 or HD-681(modded) vs. LyxPro HS-30's and Marantz MPH-2's?

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #412 of 7,153
I ordered the Bosshifi B8 but they came with defective cable .I talked with seller and he will refund me .
Can someone suggest me a cable around 20 euros shipped .I prefer from europe but it's ok if you suggest something to be worth from aliexpress/ebay .
The cable is 3.5 to 3.5 and i want it be fabric and to the one edge i can screw 6.5mm adaptor .

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #413 of 7,153
I ordered the Bosshifi B8 but they came with defective cable .I talked with seller and he will refund me .
Can someone suggest me a cable around 20 euros shipped .I prefer from europe but it's ok if you suggest something to be worth from aliexpress/ebay .
The cable is 3.5 to 3.5 and i want it be fabric and to the one edge i can screw 6.5mm adaptor .

Single cable entry (3.5mm) on just one earcup? Or dual cable entry on 2 earcups?

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #415 of 7,153
single

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/AK-Original-BOSSHifi-B8-HiFi-Wooden-Metal-Headphone-Black-Mahogany-Headset-With-Beryllium-Alloy-Driver-And/119089_32719095713.html

OK.

I purchased a number of cables from Ghent Audio/China. Xu Ghent is terrific to deal with--very responsive & customer service-oriented. His headphone cables sound better than my stock cables and are far sturdier. They're also rather inexpensive. The only hard part about ordering cables from G.A. is waiting for that China packet to arrive...

Below are 3 options:

1. w/fabric sheath: http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d11.html
     -- the actual 3.5mm ends are relatively short. they can be pushed into a 3.5mm-to-6.5mm adapter, not threaded.

2. another option w/fabric sheath: http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d01.html
     -- the 3.5mm ends are a little longer & have a blank "collar." these can be pushed into a 3.5mm-to-6.5mm adapter, not threaded.

3. no fabric sheath: http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d05.html
     -- I know this no-fabric cable is spec'd only w/TRS at each end. But I'll be Xu would swap those out for 3.5mm ends if you asked

I've found that fabric covered cables, though sounding good & built crazy-strong, are relatively stiff & can be microphonic. I actually prefer the non-fabric version, which sounds just as good.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #416 of 7,153
  Pharmaboy, can You say anything about Somic V2 or HD-681(modded) vs. LyxPro HS-30's and Marantz MPH-2's?

Can't really help. I've never heard the Somic V2 or HD-681 (modded or otherwise).

Interestingly, Status Audio has an open back model, the OB-1, that looks like a faithful rebrand of the Somic V2 (just as the CB-1 is a rebrand of the Somic V1).

The LyxPro HS-30/Marantz MPH-2 design is fully closed, has a 50mm driver and seems (at least going by pictures) a little larger than the Somic V2, which has oval pads and (I believe) 40mm drivers.

I've read many comments about various Superlux designs being rather uncomfortable to wear--and some designs have been called bright. No idea how this specific Superlux model lines up to the the LyxPro HS-30/Marantz MPH-2 design, except to say the latter are above average in comfort (IMO) and are not bright/harsh in treble.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #417 of 7,153
Excellent question. Why would I say that, as the X2's are nearly 4X the price of LyxPro HS-30's or Marantz MPH-2's?

I do love the X2's. They were the 1st headphone that "locked in" for me & really suited my sonic tastes. They're rather large, impressive, open-backed headphones. They sound more spacious than closed headphones, with a bit more distance between the performance & listener. A friend came over 2 weeks ago and listened to some music w/the X2's. He was really wowed .... "These are beautiful headphones." Yes, they are.

On the other hand, I respond viscerally to the impact of good closed headphones. The bass/lower midrange hits a little harder w/the LyxPro HS-30's and Marantz MPH-2's, which also seem to have some sub-bass (more than the X2's do). The X2's deliver sound all sound, including bass, a little more softly. They're very relaxing.

The X2's have what I consider "gently scooped" mids, just slightly down vs bass & treble. By comparison, stock LyxPro HS-30's and Marantz MPH-2's have very even sound across the entire frequency spectrum. I could see them being used for studio monitoring as well as "fun" listening...but not the X2's.

Recently I've tried HM5 extra thick pleathers on the LyxPro's. Found they increase treble slightly, so inserted 1 layer of thin cotton/lycra + 1 layer of toilet paper into the base of the earcups (not behind them--too much trouble). Anyway, the result is maye a touch more treble than stock--but from the lower midrange down, these headphones hit like a sledge-hammer. I really respond to this quality of impact. No doubt this modified sound isn't technically as flat./even as stock (and I really do like the stock pads' sound a lot). Point is, these headphones readily go in that direction if pushed. Their sound is malleable. They also have a surprising amount of soundstaging for closed headphones.

By contrast, the X2's big velour pads come off fairly easily, but can't be practically replaced. Anyway I have no urge to replace them: Phillips used velours to dial in their specific sound: warm, bassy, and at the same time, somewhat refined & delicate. They're great the way they are IMO. Not going to try to make them into something different.

I doubt I'll ever sell the X2's (to me they're big, beautiful, soothing headphones). I find myself listening to the LyxPro HS-30's and Marantz MPH-2's more often, and more intently. But both designs totally work for me.

I was actually surpised on the soundstage aswell, they have a bit of air around the notes...sort of 3d sounding. Where the pro 80s have a more linear and boring sound which sor of sounds clustered and busy. Im not talking about the signature but just the soundstage akin to being in a sound chamber with speakers. I think its because the mount holding the drivers have perforations around the driver to allow air to pass around the noteable large rear cups and the space between the driver and your ear.

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #418 of 7,153
Below are 3 options:

1. w/fabric sheath: http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d11.html
     -- the actual 3.5mm ends are relatively short. they can be pushed into a 3.5mm-to-6.5mm adapter, not threaded.

2. another option w/fabric sheath: http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d01.html
     -- the 3.5mm ends are a little longer & have a blank "collar." these can be pushed into a 3.5mm-to-6.5mm adapter, not threaded.

3. no fabric sheath: http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d05.html
     -- I know this no-fabric cable is spec'd only w/TRS at each end. But I'll be Xu would swap those out for 3.5mm ends if you asked

I've found that fabric covered cables, though sounding good & built crazy-strong, are relatively stiff & can be microphonic. I actually prefer the non-fabric version, which sounds just as good.

Thank you very much !!

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #419 of 7,153
Thank you very much !!

de nada.

First time I used one of Ghent Audio's cables was on the Fidelio X2's mentioned above. Not sure why I ordered an after-market cable...the X2's sounded damned good as they were (probably just audio neurosis). But when I switched cables, the sound was just a bit better--a bonus IMO.

Then I got the Yenona's, with their pepto bismol-colored cable...couldn't even bring myself to use that. Just plugged in one of the Ghent Audio cables. Nice!

Then it started to dawn on me that the fabric-covered cables were kind of a pain (despite their good sound). So ordered the non-fabric covered variants.

Both the Status Audio CB-1's and LyxPro HS-30's/Marantz MPH-2's use proprietary/locking 3.5mm cables, so haven't tried aftermarket cables on those.

Jan 7, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #420 of 7,153
Looks like the AliExpress seller of the Yenonas has a new version called "OneOdio" with slightly different design and... metal sliders!
Oneodio-Wired-Headphones-Studio-Professional-DJ-Headphone-with-Microphone-Over-Ear-Monitor-Studio-Headphones-DJ-Stereo.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back