Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Jan 12, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #451 of 7,153
There is one thing that the marrantz /isks have an issue with, they are north of nuetral on the bass and the bass sounds awesome but not so much with rock/metal as there is a bit too much. A very simple mod i did was line the inside of the cup with cotton, i know you dont like to mod but its very simple and fun experimenting with different amounts of cotton and how it changes the sound. I love my ISKs now for their deep soundstage and engaging bass. When you do buy them i can post a picture of the cotton mod. Chances are you will love them the way they are though as alot of people seem to love the bass extension and quanitity without mods. Also its alot easier to tame bass on these than it would be to add bass to some headphones that need it. The sound on these are thick, powerful and deep sounding...very addicting.

Jan 12, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #452 of 7,153

My pick of all the ISK MDH9000 clones is the Marantz MPH-2. IMO it's easily the best-looking of the 5-6 nearly identical iterations of this design. I don't even mind the brandname "Marantz" on the flat outside of each earcup & on the top of the headband--it's a dark gold text on black background. Classy-looking to me.

IMO you shouldn't be scared, quality-wise. I've now owned/listened extensive to 3 examples of this design:

-- 2 X Marantz MPH-2's: I like the 1st pair so much I gifted it to my brother; then bought myself a second pair -- both are perfect, sound identical (ie, very good)

-- 1 X LyxPro HAS-30: The pads look a little less filled w/memory foam, which concerned me at first. But these sound exactly like the 2 Marantz's...couldn't tell them apart if my life depended on it.

3 headphones, all work perfectly. I'd say your odds of getting a good pair are pretty good!

And btw, IMO there's no need to mod these headphones, though one other Head-Fi'er on this thread has done so and really preferred that (ie, change pads to Brainwavz HM5s + stuff some insulation in the earcups).

I tried the HM5 pads on my LyxPro HAS-30's, and found it interesting: the already excellent bass had even more ipact, and there was a little more soundstaging. BUT (there's always a "but"...) the upper midrange & treble, which had been perfect IMO w/stock pads, became brighter. I was able to tame the brightness ~90% by putting fabric inserts on the inside of the HM5 earpads, and the sonic result was impressive (though the HM5's were not quite as comfortable as the stock pads).

2 days ago I pulled the HM5 pads off the LyxPro's and put back the stock pads, and realized: these sound so damned good, I never reallyl needed to replace pads in the first place.

Yeah, that gold and black simply looks good. I was (actually I still am) digging Marshall Major looks, because of the black and gold combination. Your impressions sound great, I've just one question. As I was looking all over the internet for Marantz, LyxPro, ISKs and others, it seemed like all of them have travelling cases, some have two 3,5mm cables, one corded long, one short, and then reduction to 6,3mm. But the only unboxing video of Marantz shows just a retail box with headphones and one or two straight cables, not very sure. Is this all you get in the package, or is it any different? I thught that all the headphones are going to have the same things in box, just branded differently.

And modding was meant for Bosshifi B6s, I'm not planning to mod Marantz.

There is one thing that the marrantz /isks have an issue with, they are north of nuetral on the bass and the bass sounds awesome but not so much with rock/metal as there is a bit too much. A very simple mod i did was line the inside of the cup with cotton, i know you dont like to mod but its very simple and fun experimenting with different amounts of cotton and how it changes the sound. I love my ISKs now for their deep soundstage and engaging bass. When you do buy them i can post a picture of the cotton mod. Chances are you will love them the way they are though as alot of people seem to love the bass extension and quanitity without mods. Also its alot easier to tame bass on these than it would be to add bass to some headphones that need it. The sound on these are thick, powerful and deep sounding...very addicting.

Thanks for the tip, I'll maybe be back for the picture. But in all honesty, I think it'll sound unbelievable to me even unmoded, because those will be by far the best headphones I ever had. And as you said, I'll probably love the bass. But we'll see, never say never.

Jan 12, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #453 of 7,153

Yeah, that gold and black simply looks good. I was (actually I still am) digging Marshall Major looks, because of the black and gold combination. Your impressions sound great, I've just one question. As I was looking all over the internet for Marantz, LyxPro, ISKs and others, it seemed like all of them have travelling cases, some have two 3,5mm cables, one corded long, one short, and then reduction to 6,3mm. But the only unboxing video of Marantz shows just a retail box with headphones and one or two straight cables, not very sure. Is this all you get in the package, or is it any different? I thught that all the headphones are going to have the same things in box, just branded differently.

And modding was meant for Bosshifi B6s, I'm not planning to mod Marantz.

Thanks for the tip, I'll maybe be back for the picture. But in all honesty, I think it'll sound unbelievable to me even unmoded, because those will be by far the best headphones I ever had. And as you said, I'll probably love the bass. But we'll see, never say never.

You're correct: each variation of this same design is packaged with slightly different accessories. The Marantz MPH-2's have no case, just the 3M cord + 3.5mm to 6.35mm screw on adapter. The LyxPro's came with a case (so flimsy I wouldn't consider using it) + 2 cords, one coiled, the other not.

Just my opinion here: accessories are secondary. If you can get a good deal on any of these clones of the ISK MDH9000, you should probably take it, then get a carrying case somewhere else.

You can buy padded/fabric containers w/zippers & fabric handles that people use to carry sandwiches/lunch in...one of those would make a perfect carrying case for headphones.

BTW, 3 meters is pretty long for a cord, but the one packaged w/the Marantz MPH-2's and the LyxPro HAS-30's has a captive velcro strap attached to the cable, so you can easily wrap a meter or more of the cable w/the velcro strap, effectively making the cable shorter for desktop use.

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #454 of 7,153

You're correct: each variation of this same design is packaged with slightly different accessories. The Marantz MPH-2's have no case, just the 3M cord + 3.5mm to 6.35mm screw on adapter. The LyxPro's came with a case (so flimsy I wouldn't consider using it) + 2 cords, one coiled, the other not.

Just my opinion here: accessories are secondary. If you can get a good deal on any of these clones of the ISK MDH9000, you should probably take it, then get a carrying case somewhere else.

You can buy padded/fabric containers w/zippers & fabric handles that people use to carry sandwiches/lunch in...one of those would make a perfect carrying case for headphones.

BTW, 3 meters is pretty long for a cord, but the one packaged w/the Marantz MPH-2's and the LyxPro HAS-30's has a captive velcro strap attached to the cable, so you can easily wrap a meter or more of the cable w/the velcro strap, effectively making the cable shorter for desktop use.

Yeah so mine comes with a carrying case, its flimsy but not bad by any means as long as you dont sit on them lol. Also the ISK's come with two cables, i typically use the coiled one since the other one is 3M i think. Great for at home use i suppose but portable is a nightmare. You could always try and find a replacement cut it in half and solder/heatshrink. I will probably do this soon. Agree though accessories are not a deal breaker and the marrantz probably look the best. Not that it matters but marantz is a pretty good high end audio brand so if they are willing to stick their neck out there for a pair of chinese headphones...that is saying something positive about these regardless of the brand iteration.  

In response to your comment about everyone on android forums being D bags. Well i guess we are all more mature here and we realize that more consumers purchasing audio products and headphones mean manufactures will continue to provide us with better more competitive products. We need more people to support the industry and our unhealthy spending habits on audio products :)

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #456 of 7,153

That's what I thought, thanks. Of course, accessories aren't important for me, I was just curious, as I thought every box is the same. I don't even need or want the case, just thought it looked cool, that's all. What bothers me more is that it has only that one long cable, three meters, that's huuuge, even with that strap. I'll probably buy shorter or coiled cable for more "portable" uses.

Yeah so mine comes with a carrying case, its flimsy but not bad by any means as long as you dont sit on them lol. Also the ISK's come with two cables, i typically use the coiled one since the other one is 3M i think. Great for at home use i suppose but portable is a nightmare. You could always try and find a replacement cut it in half and solder/heatshrink. I will probably do this soon. Agree though accessories are not a deal breaker and the marrantz probably look the best. Not that it matters but marantz is a pretty good high end audio brand so if they are willing to stick their neck out there for a pair of chinese headphones...that is saying something positive about these regardless of the brand iteration.  

In response to your comment about everyone on android forums being D bags. Well i guess we are all more mature here and we realize that more consumers purchasing audio products and headphones mean manufactures will continue to provide us with better more competitive products. We need more people to support the industry and our unhealthy spending habits on audio products :)

Yes, two cables, it'd be great if Marantz did it too. It's a pity, Marantz has the best looks but none accessories, ISK's look ugly in my opinion but have all the accessories and finally LyxPro, which looks better than ISKs and has all the little thingies, but can't be bought anywhere by me. And that's the case with all the other clones whose names I can't remember right now.
I aggree on the brand thing, you're right.

Yeah, that might be it. Or I don't know, it might be just Czech forums, because for example XDA guys are very nice. I was helping people at a PC forum for a few years, and you know that if they come to you, they know literally nothing about it, and are often desperate, so if they want to build a PC, ask something or help with a virus, you don't say to them something like "take a month of your time to read deep into it and then ask us again if you won't still know. And if you'll need to ask us after all of that, you are a shame of manhood and you should kill yourself." You'll try to help them, explain it to them the way they could understand. And I'm glad you guys here are treating people this way too. Thank you.

And just FYI, I bought the Marantz ones a few minutes ago, I should get them on Monday or Tuesday. I can maybe write something about them when they come, but the question is, if I can provide any useful information with my knowledge :) So thank you all for your help, I'm certain I chose the right ones.

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #457 of 7,153
Do the LyxPro HAS-30 have a normal 3,5mm on it? Wondering if the Vmoda Boompro would fit.

All the ISK MDH9000 clones have an insert-then-twist type of locking 3.5mm jack on bottom of left earcup. The problem w/that is that the body/shaft of the locking 3.5mm plug is quite narrow, as is the housing/jack in the earcup body where it inserts.

My aftermarket 3.5mm-to-6.5mm cables won't fit the LyxPro's or Marantz' because the 3.5mm jack is normal width (ie, too wide to insert into these headphones' housing/jack.

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #458 of 7,153

That's what I thought, thanks. Of course, accessories aren't important for me, I was just curious, as I thought every box is the same. I don't even need or want the case, just thought it looked cool, that's all. What bothers me more is that it has only that one long cable, three meters, that's huuuge, even with that strap. I'll probably buy shorter or coiled cable for more "portable" uses.

Yes, two cables, it'd be great if Marantz did it too. It's a pity, Marantz has the best looks but none accessories, ISK's look ugly in my opinion but have all the accessories and finally LyxPro, which looks better than ISKs and has all the little thingies, but can't be bought anywhere by me. And that's the case with all the other clones whose names I can't remember right now.

Yeah, that might be it. Or I don't know, it might be just Czech forums, because for example XDA guys are very nice. I was helping people at a PC forum for a few years, and you know that if they come to you, they know literally nothing about it, and are often desperate, so if they want to build a PC, ask something or help with a virus, you don't say to them something like "take a month of your time to read deep into it and then ask us again if you won't still know. And if you'll need to ask us after all of that, you are a shame of manhood and you should kill yourself." You'll try to help them, explain it to them the way they could understand. And I'm glad you guys here are treating people this way too. Thank you.

And just FYI, I bought the Marantz ones a few minutes ago, I should get them on Monday or Tuesday. I can maybe write something about them when they come, but the question is, if I can provide any useful information with my knowledge :) So thank you all for your help, I'm certain I chose the right ones.

Your second paragraph is kind of funny, also horrifying. I've seen forums where you get flamed badly for asking simple questions--for not knowing as much as everyone else.

Every once in awhile people get snippy w/each other on Head-Fi. But far more often, people are respectful & helpful. I've had nothing but good experiences on Head-Fi.

I have years of experience in high end audio, and had a decent desktop audio system for the past 10 years. But only in the last 1-2 years did I get really involved in headphones as part of my system (which I've repeatedly upgraded over that time). In the beginning I knew very little about headphones, headphone amps, etc, and I'm sure it showed in my questions. But nobody on Head-Fi ever shamed me for being ignorant. I've learned a LOT on this site...

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #459 of 7,153

All the ISK MDH9000 clones have an insert-then-twist type of locking 3.5mm jack on bottom of left earcup. The problem w/that is that the body/shaft of the locking 3.5mm plug is quite narrow, as is the housing/jack in the earcup body where it inserts.

My aftermarket 3.5mm-to-6.5mm cables won't fit the LyxPro's or Marantz' because the 3.5mm jack is normal width (ie, too wide to insert into these headphones' housing/jack.

Do you have any idea where to get compatible cable, if normal 3,5 mm's don't fit? According to one post on this forum, the cable should be the same as M50x, can anyone confirm this please? Or is there any kind of reduction anywhere? 
EDIT: I found something called "Replacement Cable for LyxPro HAS-30 Headphones - Coiled" on Amazon, that should be it, right? (Still can't post links). 

Your second paragraph is kind of funny, also horrifying. I've seen forums where you get flamed badly for asking simple questions--for not knowing as much as everyone else.

Every once in awhile people get snippy w/each other on Head-Fi. But far more often, people are respectful & helpful. I've had nothing but good experiences on Head-Fi.

I have years of experience in high end audio, and had a decent desktop audio system for the past 10 years. But only in the last 1-2 years did I get really involved in headphones as part of my system (which I've repeatedly upgraded over that time). In the beginning I knew very little about headphones, headphone amps, etc, and I'm sure it showed in my questions. But nobody on Head-Fi ever shamed me for being ignorant. I've learned a LOT on this site...

Yeah, some people take it for granted that everyone knows what they know. But that's material for a long discussion, this is not the place for OT. But I'm really glad that this forum exists.

Jan 13, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #460 of 7,153

Do you have any idea where to get compatible cable, if normal 3,5 mm's don't fit? According to one post on this forum, the cable should be the same as M50x, can anyone confirm this please? Or is there any kind of reduction anywhere? 
EDIT: I found something called "Replacement Cable for LyxPro HAS-30 Headphones - Coiled" on Amazon, that should be it, right? (Still can't post links). 

Yeah, some people take it for granted that everyone knows what they know. But that's material for a long discussion, this is not the place for OT. But I'm really glad that this forum exists.

Thats the cable you need. I hate the coiled design though as Its annoying for portable use. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #461 of 7,153

I hope you like the Marantz MPH-2's as much as I do. Please do share your impressions of them...

I'm listening to the MPH-2's right now, hopping from genre to genre, recordings that vary widely in quality & mastering skill. Began with top-notch studio music (Brazilian & African pop, then Donald Fagen's MORPH THE CAT)--all w/deep, impactful electric bass + synths, great percussion. Then it was small-group jazz with an emphasis on intimacy, string bass, clear individual melodic & harmonic playing. The Marantz' let it all through w/o exaggeration or tricks.

These headphones are very balanced. I think they'd be suitable for studio work "as is." Inexpensive but competent & assured. Friends listened to them and the reaction usually was, "WOW!" (then shock at the low cost).

I have another pair of headphones that cost ~4X what the Marantz do (Fidelio X2's--love them) & just ordered a pair costing ~20X the Marantz' (ZMF Omni/Ori). These 3 designs differ greatly, technically. But no matter how good t he Omni/Ori's sound, I doubt they'll "embarrass" the Marantz', make them sound bad in comparison..

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #463 of 7,153
Hi everyone!

I am looking for a new 100-150$ over ear, closed back headphone with detachable cable. Chinese brands just came to my mind. Sadly that is very hard to find reviews about chinese products, so i ask for your help. 

Can you recommend me some chinese headphones with the following requirements?
 -price range is 100-150 $
 -over ear, but rather portable than full size
 -closed back
 -detachable cable
 -neutral, living, detailed sound is preferred. basshead and very V shaped headphones are excluded

Amongst popular brands i found two promising headphones matching these requirements: Audio-Technika ath-m40x and Shure srh440. The chinese contestant must be better value 
Also i am a novice audiophile. I have a Fiio X3 k2 music player, Creative Aurvana live! 1 headphone and a Yamaha eph-100 inner ear headphone. Both sound great with the X3. CAL! is great but the eph-100 is on a different level. I want an other over ear headphone with better sound quality, better build quality (CAL! is very creaky and squishy), and detachable cable. The eph-100 is also very great, but i realized, that i prefer over ear headphones 

Sorry for my english and many thanks for help! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back