Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Dec 10, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #2,836 of 7,153
Yeah, i'm kind of looking everything everywhere right now, like...making ultra fast self education about basic universal rules of modding headphones...this read is quite interesting cause if cover lot of headphones I like (like the Portapro...wich don,t feel an urgency to mod as I likethem stock but if I get the ksc75 or sportapro very cheap might try some modding forsure!):https://lifehacker.com/get-better-sound-from-your-favorite-headphones-with-the-1516562484
Potential of Blon-Bossfi B7 look quite promising, while the Superlux 668B still is annoying sounding, why too peaky in highs and overall dry-bright sounding, not finish with it.
In fact, I have 4 Superlux models, the HD681EVO are the only one that aren't too bright but to the cost of details and soundstage, when you see how much the drivers have foam and peice of thick foam on it you understand why it sound dark....and even wonder how can some sound pass trough this!
I'm very curious about making sound good the HD660 cause I like their closed form and DT770 look, but they are my least lovable in term of musicality, cups arent easy to open....well no screw, perhaps its easier...will try.
I fall on a very interesting looking article about 681EVO mods testing...like, ultra informative made by a more than serious audiophile (or audio engineer). Its pdf. Its serious stuff. Its a must I think!
http://www.mediafire.com/view/av6k1rhkv5lwol6/Superlux_HD681_EVO.pdf
well...you definitely have the bug.
I think you are on the right path though. I read everything I can find on modding headphones, look at all the boring pictures etc to get a better understanding of how changes in materials, placement of them, removal, etc affects sound.
I mean, how do you think I wound up with silly putty around the drivers of an open backed NVX SPT100?

Dec 10, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #2,837 of 7,153
well...you definitely have the bug.
I think you are on the right path though. I read everything I can find on modding headphones, look at all the boring pictures etc to get a better understanding of how changes in materials, placement of them, removal, etc affects sound.
I mean, how do you think I wound up with silly putty around the drivers of an open backed NVX SPT100?
PC100590.JPG
Got the bug? LOL In fact, I wanna open everything like I should have done 30 years ago as a curious kid hehe Just came back from dollar store, velcro stuff is for changeable pads and I think its better than scotch tape to stick them hehe. Lot of experience to do! DO you know if there a VERY DETAILED PASSIONATE headfi thread about modding, like, full of pictures and great idea....feel its quite too scatter. And feel like we can learn about modding even if its not the exact headphones models we have that we read about.
Now, I will stop talking about modding in this thread to not be out of subject....(this is why a search a vast headfi thread about it).
Thanks for the tips man....and the bug!

Dec 10, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #2,838 of 7,153

Got the bug? LOL In fact, I wanna open everything like I should have done 30 years ago as a curious kid hehe Just came back from dollar store, velcro stuff is for changeable pads and I think its better than scotch tape to stick them hehe. Lot of experience to do! DO you know if there a VERY DETAILED PASSIONATE headfi thread about modding, like, full of pictures and great idea....feel its quite too scatter. And feel like we can learn about modding even if its not the exact headphones models we have that we read about.
Now, I will stop talking about modding in this thread to not be out of subject....(this is why a search a vast headfi thread about it).
Thanks for the tips man....and the bug!
I don't think there is mods thread...I mean there is a whole 'diy' section and lots of various threads......
You just gave me an idea...what if there were a dedicated "mods" thread, one requirement:ppictures. You can post any mod, on any headphone...as long as you have the pics to show us what you did. Sound like a good idea?
EDIT forgot to mention, the dollar store is your friend for sure! Just one example? I buy these packs of foam hair rollers that are perfect as attenuators! They even have a memory wire inside, it's awesome.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #2,839 of 7,153
I don't think there is mods thread...I mean there is a whole 'diy' section and lots of various threads......
You just gave me an idea...what if there were a dedicated "mods" thread, one requirement:ppictures. You can post any mod, on any headphone...as long as you have the pics to show us what you did. Sound like a good idea?
EDIT forgot to mention, the dollar store is your friend for sure! Just one example? I buy these packs of foam hair rollers that are perfect as attenuators! They even have a memory wire inside, it's awesome.

+1 000 000 000 for begining this thread WITH pictures! As an image worth 1000 words, it will be very very usefull for alot of DIYer! Please do please do....don't want to make a third thread and i'm not good enough about this to be credible.
And yes, dollar store is my friend....there like 5 near my appartment, quite an invasion of those in Montreal lol Medical tape is interesting cause it have micro hole in it....now...I begin to open computer stuffs to take piece aha, find a heatsink for the AMP-DAC....kinda crazy all those electronic waste, wish I can find some OPamp too hehe

Cheers and don't forget to PM me if you open a MODS THREAD:):):)!

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #2,840 of 7,153
+1 000 000 000 for begining this thread WITH pictures! As an image worth 1000 words, it will be very very usefull for alot of DIYer! Please do please do....don't want to make a third thread and i'm not good enough about this to be credible.
And yes, dollar store is my friend....there like 5 near my appartment, quite an invasion of those in Montreal lol Medical tape is interesting cause it have micro hole in it....now...I begin to open computer stuffs to take piece aha, find a heatsink for the AMP-DAC....kinda crazy all those electronic waste, wish I can find some OPamp too hehe

So that's a yes? OK, I'll think about how to proposition it, then post something up, probably tomorrow.

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #2,841 of 7,153
Dec 11, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #2,843 of 7,153
Well I've been using the Hifiman HE4XX a LOT lately. Still love them a ton, especially for gaming and streams. I also love the Audeze EL8's I also got, but not so much for games. Music only. Vocals through music are so nice and everything gels on the EL8s, but when listening to EL8 with stream, the vocals come in shouty and tinny. Very strange.

I have on order though 3 new headphones coming.

Status Audio CB-1
House Use Product Headphone (also known as the VA800 Langsdom) from ebay
Takstar pro 82 (yes finally ordered these now that they are back in stock)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #2,844 of 7,153
Well I've been using the Hifiman HE4XX a LOT lately. Still love them a ton, especially for gaming and streams. I also love the Audeze EL8's I also got, but not so much for music only. Vocals through music are so nice and everything gels. But when listening to EL8 with stream, the vocals come in shouty and tinny. Very strange.

I have on order though 3 new headphones coming.

Status Audio CB-1
House Use Product Headphone (also known as the VA800 Langsdom) from ebay
Takstar pro 82 (yes finally ordered these now that they are back in stock)

VA800 look quite interesting, well, there beautifull to look with there nice woods cups....did anybody share impressions about these?

Well in fact, all your headphones choice look very intriguing hehe Will have to reads your feedback about them, I order the Takstar Pro82 too:wink:

Dec 11, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #2,845 of 7,153
So. I confirm Bosshifi B7 aren't bad afterall, I enjoy it with clear audio source, if source its too bassy it became too much. They can sound fatiguing too.
But changing pad is a obligation, not a whims at all.
Other mods, well i dont know if its burn in or tape to block the hole, can really make positive change, not finish to try them.

anyway, I still prefer the ISK HF2010 way more and they cost about 35$.

Dec 12, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #2,847 of 7,153

Here it is. Hopefully we can get a lot of people to contribute

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...-your-full-sized-headphone-mods-to-us.867426/

Dec 15, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #2,848 of 7,153
hey guys, does anybody here have the isk hf2010 or hp2011?, i already have the b8's, and idk if its an upgrade. last time i almost bought them but didnt pull the trigger bcoz of the b8's being more good-looking (i still care for looks), but as listening to my b8's, i feel like its lacking in soundstage department, so maybe those isk might have a wider soundstage.

Dec 15, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #2,849 of 7,153
I wanted to take a ISK-HF2010 as an upgrade to my superlux. But then i saw ISK MDH-8500 on Aliexpress, with a nicer design a datachable cable for the same price. ididn't wanted to risky myself. Anyone here has them ? They are the same thing as takstar pro80s ? How these compare do the semi open isk ?

Dec 15, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #2,850 of 7,153
hey guys, does anybody here have the isk hf2010 or hp2011?, i already have the b8's, and idk if its an upgrade. last time i almost bought them but didnt pull the trigger bcoz of the b8's being more good-looking (i still care for looks), but as listening to my b8's, i feel like its lacking in soundstage department, so maybe those isk might have a wider soundstage.
Isk HF2010 and HP 2011 are not upgrades over Bosshifi B8. If you want something slightly different but want closed back then take a look at Takstar Pro 82. If soundstage is more important to you then getting an open back headphone will be better (consider Philips SHP9500 in that case).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back