The Mod Collective: Bring all your full sized headphone mods here.
Dec 12, 2017 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 521

Cruelhand Luke

Headphoneus Supremus
All cool cities have a "bike collective" where you can bring your bike to work on yourself, get a hand from the local experts and take advantage of the tools and knowledge base of the collective.
Head Fi has a Mod Collective now.
Please post any mods you have done to your headphones. In order to have the broadest reach to help the most people, we have very few restrictions: on ear, over ear, no matter the brand, no matter how major or minor the modification, please share it here. It doesn't matter if the same mod on the same headphone has been posted, please post your personal take on it. The only requirements are:
1) tell us what you did, why you did it, and what were the results.
2) PICTURES or it didn't happen!
That's it.
I have found from reading countless tutorials that sometimes the same mod, explained in a different way, with different pictures will clarify things for me. I have also found quite often that the principles of sound reproduction are somewhat consistent, so a cable mod on an MDR7506 could work just as well on a Beyerdynamic. It doesn't make sense for tutorials with broad appeal to be buried within a model specific thread.
I would like to encourage anyone who has ever posted any kind of mod with pics, please go find it for us and just copy paste it here?
You're welcome in the Mod Collective even if you don't have a tutorial to post! This is a great place to wander in and say, "Hey, has anyone ever tried _______"
Hopefully over time there will be enough content that you will have already found the answer by using the search function yourself :wink:
Thanks for joining us, at the expense of opening a pandora's box, feel free to PM me if you have any questions or suggestions. @Cruelhand Luke
EDIT: Now there's an IEM Mod Collective! Feel free to post all your IEM mods here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-mod-collective-bring-all-your-iem-mods-here.867486/

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 521
Some other mod threads to check out:

Using Sorbothane to dampen cup vibrations: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dam...s-with-sorbothane-and-other-materials.744839/
Stacking additional magnets on top of your driver magnets:https://www.head-fi.org/threads/stacking-magnets.839878/

I'll go first:
I swapped out the stock pads on my Philips 9500s for pleathers from the NVX SPT100.
They are a big improvement over the stock pads but I still wanted them to be a little firmer and a bit more distance inside the pads between my ears and the drivers. I have done this mod on various headphones in the past and decided to make a tutorial this time around.

For materials all you need are your headphones, with your preferred pad installed and a pack of these foam hair rollers from the Dollar Store:

They are little foam tubes with a piece of wire in the middle so you can bend and form them.
Remove the little end pieces

bend into a C shape and gently work it under the pad between the driver. (It will take some stretching, my pads were on other headphones previously and had stretched quite a bit already, you may want to heat them up under a lamp to make them more pliable.)

The open part of the "C" should face the front. Similar to how angled pads are worn, the rear part behind your ear is more padded. This serves 2 functions: angles the driver in a more flat orientation and puts less pressure where the pads rest on the temples. I wear glasses with my headphones and this makes them more comfortable and provides a better seal.

It's really cheap, easy to do, and reversible. Other people have written about how leather pads change the sound of the 9500s, this mod improves on those changes a little bit. The fit is a little more secure, the seal/clamp is improved somewhat and there is more space inside the pads for my ears. Not massive changes, but worth the effort.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #3 of 521
Hi
I did ca couple of small mods to both my jvc ha-rx900 and 700s
I added a inline socket so i can use any length cable i wont.
image(3).jpg
image (3)(1).jpg

And added foam to the ear cups
image (1)(3).jpg
image (2)(1).jpg

Thats as far as ive got so far.

Dec 13, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #4 of 521
PC080581.JPG PC080584.JPG PC090587.JPG PC130605.JPG HI, interesting thread! I was about time:wink:

Im new about modding, so will post more stuff later, but it begin with BOSSFI B7 that I find sounding way too bassy so I try 3 things.

1) patty around the driver= a NO for this headphone. Change the sound for the worst and make the bass distort and high even harshed.

2)duck tape to cover the grill= a YES. Give better bass presentation and roundness (before it was kind of airy and muffled)

3) Changing pads. Pad included was thick and ears hole was small so it creat an over ear instead of an around, sound was ultimately bassy and soundstage was small, kind of congested. After It try a different pad from superlux and it sound better but there was no foam to cover driver so sound was too bright and fatiguing so I finally use 2 pad stick togheter and a foam too, now this is it: Soundstage is wide and airy, bass is well presented, its way more comfy, not too harsh but still detailed. I plan to use velcro to be able to change type of pads easily too.

Other mods I wanna try it insert cotton in the wood shell, will share impression and pics once I try it.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #5 of 521
Copy paste here different MODS from CHETPROPHET for SUPERLUX HD668B and 681.
Very interesting and EASY. I take of foam paper inside of back plastic ''grill'' to have a more airy soundsignature for the HD668.

SO, check this out:
Re: Superlux Headphone HD668B, HD681
As scheduled, I would like to introduce modifications to 681 and 668B. Basically, the design of these two is very similar, just different driver, headband, cup ventilation so all the mod will apply to both but suitable for which I will say.

1. Filter mod: mod to reduce glare, this mod can not be missing with 681, 668B is up to people. Filter mod 681 mainly consists of 3 types:
-Ver1: only reduce the sibilance, high still high tower
-Ver2: Reduce high more than ver1 about 2db
-Ver3: like ver2 + bass reduction for anyone who wants to balance sound better but ver3 only works with portable, low voltage devices.
Currently I mod using ver2, can be adjusted to add or remove high if you want.
Recommend: 681

Foam mod: Very simple, just peel the driver cover foam, resulting in the sound will be brighter, more detailed, the sound will be wider but the bass will weaken.
Recommend: custom taste, this mod will do more dazzling so it will not match with many people.

1000x500px-LL-603cdf9e_IMG_0258.jpeg

3. Headband mod: Use your hands to twist the two headband bars until they are wide open. The result is more comfortable to wear than initially.
Recommend: 668B, 681
Above is the original 668B, the bottom is after shaping

KDVYg.jpg

4. Pad mod: buy cotton medical, baby bag 3k is enough, rolled up as shown below:

ZqJti.jpg

Then insert into the bottom of the pad, note that just put the cotton into the half of the pad, half behind the ear, raising the half of the pad to about 5mm.

NOCCb.jpg

The result: the sound field is wider, the feeling of space is clearer, hearing more may be because the mid thin a bit, the wear is much more comfortable.

5. Sound stage mod:
First of all, take the superlux finger to the rounded piece

1tzGl.jpg

To be like this, use a small screwdriver to twist the snail:

UOxrL.jpg

I will be:

DHE2t.jpg

Continue to turn the black snail:

5gEnW.jpg

Underneath the cup with a vent hole, a piece of circular paper appears, which appears to be entangled in the signal cord but is removed simply because it is cut as shown below:

I1DZM.jpg

After removing the paper, replace the parts.
The result: The vocal field is considerably broader, the sound is open and airy, the pitch seems clearer, so it's a bit more dazzling.
Recommend: This mod is quite good with 668B but with 681 is not effective.

6.Dampen mod 1:
Buy a piece of cloth, cut right in shape, size, insert into the paper substitute in the mod.
The upper left side is the modest fabric, the upper part is the stock piece, the bottom is the medical cotton.

5s9JH.jpg

The result: the sound is more closed, the sound is reduced slightly but the sound is warmer, less dazzling
Recommend: No need to change the spacious, clear sound of the school sound to thick and more dazzling

7.Dampen mod 2 (this I have researched
sexy_girl.gif
)
With the medical cut piece as shown above, add it under the piece of paper stock

Ngw5a.jpg

The result: the 668B's midrange was much smoother, and the treb was not sure. 681 is also silky smooth so this mod does not need too much and you feel it reduces the dynamic.
Recommend: 668B

8. Dampen mod 3:
Remove pad and foam:

VLWkq.jpg

Then take a piece of hemp into a piece of foam, with a round hole in the middle as shown below:

XrTdu.jpg

Then insert the original foam and pad up

SlOm8.jpg

The results are: mid denser, mid mid, high bass, so the sound is more soulful, the guitar sound is thicker, the pitch is slightly reduced.

9. Dampen mod 4:

VLWkq.jpg

As you can see, there are six round holes around the driver, using tape (I use double-sided tape) to seal the 6 holes.
The result is a warmer, mid-thicker voice, but with a slightly mid bass, the sound is squashed
Recommend: None

10. Cup mod:

Ynxhj.jpg

People will notice that the main difference between 668B and 681 is that the vent holes on the cup: 681 larger vent holes. I tried to change the cup of 681 to 668B the previous results the bass of the 668B down to 40hz can now be down to 30hz very clear. So you want the 668B to have a deeper bass, but it's a bit too loose to have a hole in the cup, as it has 108 holes per cup.

11. Sock mod:
Simply put a pair of socks wrapped outside the pad, according to many people are more comfortable and support sweat, I try to do it is too hot,
The way to do this is like this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/470304/shure-srh840-earpad-mod

668B-2.jpg

12. EQ:
Download the Electri-Q program, install the George Yohng VST Wrapper plugin. Then install and add the folder Electri-Q into the plugin and then edit as follows:
22Hz: +1.9 bw 1.6
2400Hz: -3db bw 0.110
4600Hz: + 1.4db bw 0.3
5500Hz: -6db bw 0.2
12000Hz: -6.7 bw 0.2
16000Hz: -6.7 bw 0.2
15000Hz: +1.7 bw 1.0

3EaVY.jpg

Compared with the current, I am quite satisfied with the configuration for 668B as follows: pad mod + dampen mod 2 + dampen mod 3 + cup mod + EQ. There are also some config files as follows:
-Soundstage, best detail but sibilance =. =: Mod mod + soundstage mod + foam mod + EQ
The most, but most closed feeling, quite a few mid bass (can be adjusted with eq): dampen mod 1 + 3 + 4 + cup mod + EQ
In addition, the doctor should be creative, assembled mods together to get the best sound
P / s: Anybody buy 668B will be free mod arbitrary, except cup mod, sock mod, headband mod, mod mod
big_smile.gif

Dec 13, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 521
Dec 13, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 521
Here the "OTTO MOD" or "SANTA'S BEARD MOD" for the SEAHF AWK-009 to tame the treble (also works for the Boarseman CX98 and other aggressive earphones): I ripped a bit of cotton out of Santa's beard and stuffed it between nozzles and rubber tips...the opposite of the "SLATER MOD" for the KZ KS3.
This mod shifts the whole spectrum a bit to the darker side.

And, hey, the SEAHF/Boarseman suddenly sound decent.

IMG_5609.JPG.jpg
Santa_Beard.jpg

Dec 13, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #8 of 521
Here the "OTTO MOD" or "SANTA'S BEARD MOD" for the SEAHF AWK-009 to tame the treble (also works for the Boarseman CX98 and other aggressive earphones): I ripped a bit of cotton out of Santa's beard and stuffed it between nozzles and rubber tips...the opposite of the "SLATER MOD" for the KZ KS3.

ahah, good idea...not quite fancy looking, but for this time of the year its very appropriate I think.
Only thing I would be a little concern is that some beard fall inside the earphone and create distortion once it touch the driver....be carefull with santa beard:wink:

Dec 13, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 521
ahah, good idea...not quite fancy looking, but for this time of the year its very appropriate I think.
Only thing I would be a little concern is that some beard fall inside the earphone and create distortion once it touch the driver....be carefull with santa beard:wink:

Can't happen as the cotton is above the screen.

Dec 13, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #10 of 521

I did a similar mod to tame the sharp treble on the KZ ED9. Stuffed some (synthetic) fiber fill inside of the nozzle. Instant improvement.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #11 of 521
Copy paste here different MODS from CHETPROPHET for SUPERLUX HD668B and 681.
Very interesting and EASY. I take of foam paper inside of back plastic ''grill'' to have a more airy soundsignature for the HD668.

SO, check this out:
Re: Superlux Headphone HD668B, HD681
As scheduled, I would like to introduce modifications to 681 and 668B. Basically, the design of these two is very similar, just different driver, headband, cup ventilation so all the mod will apply to both but suitable for which I will say.

1. Filter mod: mod to reduce glare, this mod can not be missing with 681, 668B is up to people. Filter mod 681 mainly consists of 3 types:
-Ver1: only reduce the sibilance, high still high tower
-Ver2: Reduce high more than ver1 about 2db
-Ver3: like ver2 + bass reduction for anyone who wants to balance sound better but ver3 only works with portable, low voltage devices.
Currently I mod using ver2, can be adjusted to add or remove high if you want.
Recommend: 681

Foam mod: Very simple, just peel the driver cover foam, resulting in the sound will be brighter, more detailed, the sound will be wider but the bass will weaken.
Recommend: custom taste, this mod will do more dazzling so it will not match with many people.

1000x500px-LL-603cdf9e_IMG_0258.jpeg

3. Headband mod: Use your hands to twist the two headband bars until they are wide open. The result is more comfortable to wear than initially.
Above is the original 668B, the bottom is after shaping

KDVYg.jpg

4. Pad mod: buy cotton medical, baby bag 3k is enough, rolled up as shown below:

ZqJti.jpg

Then insert into the bottom of the pad, note that just put the cotton into the half of the pad, half behind the ear, raising the half of the pad to about 5mm.

NOCCb.jpg

The result: the sound field is wider, the feeling of space is clearer, hearing more may be because the mid thin a bit, the wear is much more comfortable.

5. Sound stage mod:
First of all, take the superlux finger to the rounded piece

1tzGl.jpg

To be like this, use a small screwdriver to twist the snail:

UOxrL.jpg

I will be:

DHE2t.jpg

Continue to turn the black snail:

5gEnW.jpg

Underneath the cup with a vent hole, a piece of circular paper appears, which appears to be entangled in the signal cord but is removed simply because it is cut as shown below:

I1DZM.jpg

After removing the paper, replace the parts.
The result: The vocal field is considerably broader, the sound is open and airy, the pitch seems clearer, so it's a bit more dazzling.
Recommend: This mod is quite good with 668B but with 681 is not effective.

6.Dampen mod 1:
Buy a piece of cloth, cut right in shape, size, insert into the paper substitute in the mod.
The upper left side is the modest fabric, the upper part is the stock piece, the bottom is the medical cotton.

5s9JH.jpg

The result: the sound is more closed, the sound is reduced slightly but the sound is warmer, less dazzling
Recommend: No need to change the spacious, clear sound of the school sound to thick and more dazzling

7.Dampen mod 2 (this I have researched
sexy_girl.gif
)
With the medical cut piece as shown above, add it under the piece of paper stock

Ngw5a.jpg

The result: the 668B's midrange was much smoother, and the treb was not sure. 681 is also silky smooth so this mod does not need too much and you feel it reduces the dynamic.

8. Dampen mod 3:
Remove pad and foam:

VLWkq.jpg

Then take a piece of hemp into a piece of foam, with a round hole in the middle as shown below:

XrTdu.jpg

Then insert the original foam and pad up

SlOm8.jpg

The results are: mid denser, mid mid, high bass, so the sound is more soulful, the guitar sound is thicker, the pitch is slightly reduced.

9. Dampen mod 4:

VLWkq.jpg

As you can see, there are six round holes around the driver, using tape (I use double-sided tape) to seal the 6 holes.
The result is a warmer, mid-thicker voice, but with a slightly mid bass, the sound is squashed
Recommend: None

10. Cup mod:

Ynxhj.jpg

People will notice that the main difference between 668B and 681 is that the vent holes on the cup: 681 larger vent holes. I tried to change the cup of 681 to 668B the previous results the bass of the 668B down to 40hz can now be down to 30hz very clear. So you want the 668B to have a deeper bass, but it's a bit too loose to have a hole in the cup, as it has 108 holes per cup.

11. Sock mod:
Simply put a pair of socks wrapped outside the pad, according to many people are more comfortable and support sweat, I try to do it is too hot,
The way to do this is like this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/470304/shure-srh840-earpad-mod

668B-2.jpg

12. EQ:
Download the Electri-Q program, install the George Yohng VST Wrapper plugin. Then install and add the folder Electri-Q into the plugin and then edit as follows:
22Hz: +1.9 bw 1.6
2400Hz: -3db bw 0.110
4600Hz: + 1.4db bw 0.3
5500Hz: -6db bw 0.2
12000Hz: -6.7 bw 0.2
16000Hz: -6.7 bw 0.2
15000Hz: +1.7 bw 1.0

3EaVY.jpg

Compared with the current, I am quite satisfied with the configuration for 668B as follows: pad mod + dampen mod 2 + dampen mod 3 + cup mod + EQ. There are also some config files as follows:
-Soundstage, best detail but sibilance =. =: Mod mod + soundstage mod + foam mod + EQ
The most, but most closed feeling, quite a few mid bass (can be adjusted with eq): dampen mod 1 + 3 + 4 + cup mod + EQ
In addition, the doctor should be creative, assembled mods together to get the best sound
P / s: Anybody buy 668B will be free mod arbitrary, except cup mod, sock mod, headband mod, mod mod
big_smile.gif
Thanks for the Superlux love! I just received my 668B in the mail yesterday, so I'll be posting my own mods very soon.
I also have a set of 681 on the way. I bought both of them knowing they wouldn't stay in stock form for more than 5 minutes (Off with their pads!) I intend to post in this thread everything I put those poor headphones through. :wink:

Dec 13, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 521
I did a similar mod to tame the sharp treble on the KZ ED9. Stuffed some (synthetic) fiber fill inside of the nozzle. Instant improvement.
Which fibre did you use? Have you ever tried micro pore tape? I still have to do my ED9, too as well as the Tennmak Dulcimer. Did the SANTA MOD also on the Boarseman CX98, UiiSii HM7, and the Remax-RM-720i: it worked for all of them.

And since I have two pairs of the SEAHF, I did one with cotton and I put some textile material of the VE Monk Plus around the nozzles of the other. In comparison, the textile made little difference.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #13 of 521
Oh....got these....and they take dust cause of sharpness you talk....hum, should crave the table to find them.

Dec 13, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #14 of 521
Which fibre did you use? Have you ever tried micro pore tape? I still have to do my ED9, too as well as the Tennmak Dulcimer. Did the SANTA MOD also on the Boarseman CX98, UiiSii HM7, and the Remax-RM-720i: it worked for all of them.

And since I have two pairs of the SEAHF, I did one with cotton and I put some textile material of the VE Monk Plus around the nozzles of the other. In comparison, the textile made little difference.
I started a thread earlier today for IEM specific mods: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-mod-collective-bring-all-your-iem-mods-here.867486/
can you guys move this over there and get the discussion started for me?? I don't have any IEM mods to show yet..

Dec 13, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #15 of 521
Thanks for the Superlux love! I just received my 668B in the mail yesterday, so I'll be posting my own mods very soon.
I also have a set of 681 on the way. I bought both of them knowing they wouldn't stay in stock form for more than 5 minutes (Off with their pads!) I intend to post in this thread everything I put those poor headphones through. :wink:
Very nice dude, im not finish with them for sure, just too busy with different experience this days....eager to know your audacious mod:) Be gentle with them pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease hehe
If I find other mod post will copy-paste like crazy here, we can wait for miracle to happen, must create them ourself!

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back