Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Oct 21, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #27,602 of 33,689
unit variations exist in every price category, only professional brands like Etymotic for example have very tight tolerance on their top of the line ER4 models

Yep and I do believe most brand just QCed not all of their iems but just going by the batch and call it a day.

Oct 21, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #27,603 of 33,689
unit variations exist in every price category, only professional brands like Etymotic for example have very tight tolerance on their top of the line ER4 models
Indeed differences do exist in every price category. Which is why in some ways I think pontificating on headfi about how great an iem is and rating it in finite terms over various aspects is a complete waste of effort...so many variables, not just from unit to unit, but depending on source, cable, fit, point of burn in etc etc.
Just pick what you like and enjoy the music eh!

Oct 21, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #27,604 of 33,689
This all comes back to the general thought on case studies being of questionable veracity.

Most of us only have a single pair as a point of reference for most things we have, cars, headphones, etc. It's why a meta analysis of all data points is such a necessity. We can only infer so much, even from reviewers we find we have similar tastes to. I know @Hawaiibadboy tends to have similar tastes to me... I also know his general tastes well enough that I'd have told him not to buy the spring 1 if I'd had it before him... He doesn't believe in burn in, and prefers a more natural sound than I require. That's bad news with the spring 1...

Conversely, I know @antdroid and I have very different tastes, so I don't pay much attention to the subjective parts of his reviews (that being said his bl-03 review echos my thoughts almost exactly now that I read it).

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #27,605 of 33,689
but depending on source, cable, fit, point of burn in etc etc.
that is a very good point, for example there is a opinions on my DAC that the sound is more on the "analytical" side, so it is possible warm earphones to sound cleaner with my source compared to others that have more neutral or warm sources, at the end we will have different opinion on the sound, the earphone is the same, a lot of variables

Oct 21, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #27,606 of 33,689
Blon received, the hype is real. Lower treble is still a touch elevated for me personally but it is very well controlled, not just for the price. Bass has a satisfying punch, soundstage is immersive, and timbre is done exceedingly well. Bass could be a bit flatter toward the sub for better definition. Vocals have enough presence for my liking and sound very natural. Overall, an incredible product all around but I’ll still be on the lookout for something greater. I’m sure many of us in this hobby would agree that you can’t put a price on an earphone that fits our preferences!

Oct 21, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #27,607 of 33,689
The main thing I see is that it's an easy recommendation for $30 because it is so inoffensive and all around pretty good. I doubt anybody is going to HATE the bl-03 for the sound, most likely it'd be because they have fit issues.

But also because of that, I'm not even sure if the blon will be my lawn mowing pair, they're just not secure enough for physical activity...

Long term, I just don't see myself getting much use from them as a hobbyist/collector because they just don't really standout in any way to me. They'd be a great pick for a random person who wants "the best" IEM they can get for $30 without knowing anything about their preferences.

I can definitely see why people like @Hawaiibadboy recommend them, it's a no brainer. To a casual user without much basis for comparison, they're pretty great. To a collector and avid EQ user? Meh... Nothing special about em.

Edit:. I take that back, the packaging is very "special". Oppoty!
Ok, so the blon bl-03 are good... But I think the comparisons are getting a bit out of control in my opinion. It's a good reference set. Sort of reminds me of the ibasso it04 but at a lower price point. It's good but it's not knocking your socks off.

The soundstage isn't great, it's artificially large because the vocal ranges are recessed. As a basshead, I really can't get on board with the bass here compared to any of the other DD sets I've tried recently. It's middle of the pack, and inoffensive but also unremarkable. Attack and decay is middle of the road, punchiness and extension also middle of the road. Detail is simply good, not fantastic or out of the ordinary for a single DD.

These are in undoubtedly a good set, but I see little that they truly Excel at. I actually don't agree that the tuning is overall very balanced. I do hear harshness in the lower treble that makes them need EQ for high volume, and that's with a copper cable on the hiby r6 pro, so not a shrill setup.

A good set, undoubtedly, but the main thing it does is set the bar really high for $30 and make it unacceptable for more expensive pairs to have really glaring weaknesses... That's a very good thing, but I think the hype is a bit much.
I'm more than tired of the BL-03's radioactive popularity, coerced me to order a 2nd pair :ksc75smile:

But it'll be a good thing, if enough members buy a pair, then we'll have a common benchmark, for future comparisons. As long as the one-upmanship doesn't get out of hand. e.g. I've seen comparisons against the MoonDrop Kanas, Kanas Pro & KXXS, where owners have found some scenarios where the BL-03 might hit a drum kit better; which someone will then take to an illogical conclusion of "Kanas Killer".

Oct 21, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #27,608 of 33,689
On second thought, it seems to be the peak around 10k on the Blon that could stand to be less emphasized more so than the lower treble. No harshness, however. I think less emphasis at 5k and 10k would be perfect but I’m nitpicking here. Also, it appears that Disney really is taking over everything.. 8CC38D70-642B-481A-8C3A-1FDA9F20327B.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #27,610 of 33,689
The cable isn’t bad in my opinion. I’d prefer a straight jack and a cable cinch but otherwise no real complaints.

Another random rant (unrelated to Blon).. 45 degree jacks are ugly, this needs to stop.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #27,611 of 33,689
Another random rant (unrelated to Blon).. 45 degree jacks are ugly, this needs to stop.

But there’s a valid reason for them. Depending on the earphone and individual ear anatomy, they may lead to a superior fit.

Case in point is the difference between the plug shape on these 2 earphones:

17CC8371-5782-41C4-A908-F6B40CF051F5.jpeg
1615FC60-DE8A-47B3-A4AB-D8AFC0BCD89E.jpeg

Oct 21, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #27,612 of 33,689
But there’s a valid reason for them. Depending on the earphone and individual ear anatomy, they may lead to a superior fit.

Case in point is the difference between the plug shape on these 2 earphones:

I was actually referring to the end of the cable where it enters the source/amp, not the earpieces. My mistake for using the term “jack” when I meant plug.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #27,613 of 33,689
My recommendation for tip rolling the Blon. I’m using SpinFits CP145 with spacer rings made by cutting off part of the inserts
found with the CP240. This way the CP145 doesn’t slip further down the nozzle, giving the earphone more distance from the ear thus increasing comfort.

I'm glad it worked for you. Even though the spacer fixes the slippery issue I still can't use this model (CP145-M) without getting the ear tip stuck in my ear when taking it off. :frowning2:
To me, it's either MH755 tips or Spiral Dots since they can "lock-in" on the nozzle.

Oct 21, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #27,614 of 33,689
I'm glad it worked for you. Even though the spacer fixes the slippery issue I still can't use this model (CP145-M) without getting the ear tip stuck in my ear when taking it off. :frowning2:
To me, it's either MH755 tips or Spiral Dots since they can "lock-in" on the nozzle.
Ah, I’m sorry to hear that. I don’t have that issue with the 145 on the Blon but the tips do get stuck sometimes depending on the earphone. They did on my Simgot Pros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back