Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Oct 1, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #26,986 of 33,689
Thanks for the link, I've learnt something new today

"The sensitivity of the human ear changes as a function of frequency, as shown in the equal-loudness graph. Each line on this graph shows the SPL required for frequencies to be perceived as equally loud, and different curves pertain to different sound pressure levels. It also shows that humans with normal hearing are most sensitive to sounds around 2–4 kHz, with sensitivity declining to either side of this region. A complete model of the perception of loudness will include the integration of SPL by frequency."

no wonder that TOTL iem always have little dip around 3 khz to compensate the sensitivity. So bottomline, loudness are linearly increase, but our sensitivity against certain frequency area is different. This is really affecting much in tuning the IEMs and in how loud youre listening then. My long time curiosity got answered today.

This still doesn't explain why on certain IEMs, no matter the loudness, I still hear them very pleasantly and on others this does not work that well. If it's our hearing, shouldn't all IEMs be perceived similarly?

Oct 1, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #26,987 of 33,689
Oct 1, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #26,988 of 33,689
Oct 1, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #26,989 of 33,689
This still doesn't explain why on certain IEMs, no matter the loudness, I still hear them very pleasantly and on others this does not work that well. If it's our hearing, shouldn't all IEMs be perceived similarly?

Every IEM has its own unique frequency response which you may like or not independently of volume.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #26,990 of 33,689

Every IEM has its own unique frequency response which you may like or not independently of volume.

agree with this, thats why i prefer treble safe and 3khz safe iem because i like to enjoy music in quite loud volume

Oct 1, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #26,991 of 33,689
This is why many stereo systems of the past had a "Loudness" button to emphazise the low end at lower volumes.
I think my Yamaha Amp's loudness adjustment, actually boosted both low and high frequencies. That way it would sound better at lower volumes. When IEM's have U shaped or V shaped frequenct curves, they will sound better at lower volume levels. But as you boost the overall volume the bass and treble will sound too loud. With The old Stereos, you just turned off the loudness function when you cranked up the volume. Not sure if any IEMs have that kind of loudness button. (Never heard the LZ-A6...).
When an IEM is a Flatter Frequency Curve, it will likely sound bass and treble shy at low volumes, and take high volume levels to bring out the bass and treble.
It's difficult to have any iem, headphone, or speaker sound great at all volume levels. (Without some EQ, or Loudness contouring)

Oct 1, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #26,992 of 33,689
I think my Yamaha Amp's loudness adjustment, actually boosted both low and high frequencies. That way it would sound better at lower volumes.

Yes, the loudness button was for boosting the highs and lows with amps/receivers that I had in the past.

Oct 1, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #26,993 of 33,689
Here's the other BIG factor is that those graphs showing the sensitivity of the human ear are based on averages of perceived volume of test subjects.

Two things here.

1. Kind of like the optometrist where you say what looks about the same, people were reporting what sounded the same loudness to them at different frequencies... This is a tough test honestly. Think about actually sitting and saying a lower bassnote sounds as loud as a hihat... It's not so simple since they also just sound different. Also, compared to an image, it's not as easy to simply sit there and repeat the signal as it is to stare at a couple of images side by side.

2.YOUR ears can have pretty significant differences from that chart and other individuals. That curve you see of equal loudness is an average.

I would love to see a 95% confidence level chart of these showing the differences. If anyone can point me in the direction of something like that, I'd love to see it.

This is all just a reminder that things legitimately sound different to individuals similar to our preference in taste, smell and colors, etc. Sure, MOST people love the taste of chocolate and hate the smell of poo, but not all... Same goes here.

For instance, I know A LOT of people on here have a sensitivity/preference for lower volumes at 4-8k that I simply don't mind, don't hear or don't care about.... To me that's just extra flavor that you're missing out on if you don't like it, much how onions are to others, but are intolerable to me.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #26,994 of 33,689
This is what im always talking about, not only for DQ4, but there are a lot cases about this. A very good balanced iem, in low volume usually treble side are not so lively, but once you crank up the volume, they are become more balanced, trebles have sparkles without dominating other frequencies. Like BLON BL-03 in this case, if youre listening in higher volume, you will starting to hear trebles more but still safe and balanced in high volume.
KPE kinda too... needs amping(mA) and at least medium vol. to really "shine".

Oct 1, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #26,995 of 33,689
Does anyone have any tips for IEMs that irritate the ears? My Semkarch get very uncomfortable after about an hour. Possibly a little around the base of the tip but mostly in areas where the IEM shell touches my ear. It's maddening as with tip and cable and probably a bit of burn in too they are now performing right at the very top of my pile of IEMs.

Oct 1, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #26,996 of 33,689
Does anyone have any tips for IEMs that irritate the ears? My Semkarch get very uncomfortable after about an hour. Possibly a little around the base of the tip but mostly in areas where the IEM shell touches my ear. It's maddening as with tip and cable and probably a bit of burn in too they are now performing right at the very top of my pile of IEMs.
I have plenty of tips that start to irritate after little usage but mostly due to molding "ring" around tip "skirt".

Oct 1, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #26,997 of 33,689
Often, in todays IEM's with multi-drivers driven through one housing when compared to one dynamic driver, it usually takes a micro-crossover board to divide the frequency appropriately to the different functions; bass, midrange, treble, respectively. According to the volume applied, it could either gain or lose stability to each function (bass, midrange, treble) by +5 or -5 percent due to the resistor or capacitors built into the micro-crossover board. A good resistor and capacitor built into the micro-crossover board should work in unison with the volume so that the same sound you hear at low volume should sound mainly the same at louder volumes with only +1 or -1 percent signal gain or loss. Usually, much costlier IEM's will have a more expensive micro-crossover board built-in to it's housings versus a less expensive one, which is usually the case with budget ones. This is one topic that is never covered, but does actually make a difference on "how much money are you willing to pay for an IEM?"
For example, on loud hi-end home audio speakers it basically works the same way. Your not going to get the same hi-end outcome from audio speakers that cost up to $500 US dollars versus the sound of audio speakers that middle to rich class people usually buy and own at a cost of anywhere from $10,000 to $500,000 US dollars, or more! So remember, crossover boards can make a difference whether in an IEM or hi-end loud audio speakers and may effect the product more than one might think.
I'm glad to had shared this topic, since I myself had built loud speakers for many years and ventured out from this area to the smaller world of IEM's more than 10 years ago. :relaxed::thumbsup:
HTB1ZU3pafLsK1Rjy0Fbq6xSEXXaP(1).jpgAcrilica%20Paar%20f%FCr%20Website%201(1).jpg

Left, courtesy of CCA / Right, courtesy of Fichtner-Fidelity

-Clear

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #26,998 of 33,689
in case of micro-crossover-boards and their components - I HIGHLY doubt that HQ capacitors/resistors justify SO MUCH higher price.
Hardware itself is NOT so expensive today (except snake-oil), it`s more about implementation and knowledge... but well, high-payment research person/team wants to get payday they deserve for his/her knowledge :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #26,999 of 33,689
Also as the cost goes up, the number of units sold will go down. For example I would happily spend around £100 on IEMs, maybe more if they were good. Some people would spend far, far more and not consider such a budget option. But most would consider that an extravagance.
So profit margins have to rise with unit cost in order to sustain a profitable company.

Oct 1, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #27,000 of 33,689
FYI, for those paying attention...

The Shuoer Tape is starting to hit Ali sellers at around $130USD.

It's awfully tempting with the 10mm DD and slight V shaped purported FR with that electrostatic driver in it. I might just blind order it...

US $127.16 31%OFF | SHUOER TAPE 10MM High-Performance Nanotechnology Low Voltage Electrostatic Driver in-Ear Earphone With Detachable MMCX Cable
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/KAPZDm8u

Users who are viewing this thread

Back