Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Dec 9, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #20,476 of 33,689
Playing with SHOZY & NEO CP - 3BA IEMs. Knowless 22955 bass unit and 2 in-house design drivers for mids and treble. So far so good - like a bit of warm and mellow feel to the sound and that it is more or less balanced. Treble is not enormously emphasized (I just can't use some IEMs with excessive treble presence and extent). I would share the full review in a couple of days
_DSC8899.jpg _DSC8924.jpg _DSC8948.jpg

Dec 9, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #20,479 of 33,689
What are the top Chi-Fi models above 100$ that provide KZ ZS3/4 level of isolation and better sound quality? My preferred signature is Harman, maybe with even more of a bass boost and high treble doesn't have to recede as quickly as it does in Harman graphs. Though the signature is secondary, since I'm used to equalizing everything. The sound characteristics unrelated to signature must be better than <50$ Chi-Fi.

Dec 9, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #20,481 of 33,689
Is it me or is this issue of iems arriving "out of phase" becoming more and more prevalent lately?

It’s an easy mistake to make, so it’s been happening since speakers and headphones were invented.

However, the risk gets multiplied with each pair of drivers you add.

So in a pair of single driver earphones/headphones, there’s only 2 drivers to keep track of and make sure you solder the + and - correctly.

But now that gear with 2, 3, and even 5 and 6 drivers (per side) are becoming commonplace, that’s a ton of drivers to keep track of.

It doesn’t help that the drivers are often the size of a grain of rice.

Years ago, multi-driver gear was only available from mainstream western companies for thousands of dollars. Those companies have extensive multi-step QA procedures in place (involving multiple people), because the per unit cost justified it (as well as the reputation of the company).

Therefore, you are more likely to get an out of phase set from a small ChiFi operation selling $20 IEMs, because the price doesn’t allow for a multi-step QA procedure by a whole team of dedicated QA employees.

Using Shure as a generic example of the typical “high dollar western company”:

1. The profit margins are slim (vs higher profit arbitration Shure)
2. The production employees are not always the most skilled (vs the average production employee working at Shure)
3. There is minimal QA testing (vs massive QA testing at Shure)

Obviously, there are multiple levels of ChiFi gear just like there’s multiple levels of Western gear. The points I stated above are just generalizations. There are western companies with poor QA, just like there’s ChiFi companies with good QA.

Dec 9, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #20,482 of 33,689
It’s an easy mistake to make, so it’s been happening since speakers and headphones were invented.

However, the risk gets multiplied with each pair of drivers you add.

So in a pair of single driver earphones/headphones, there’s only 2 drivers to keep track of and make sure you solder the + and - correctly.

But now that gear with 2, 3, and even 5 and 6 drivers (per side) are becoming commonplace, that’s a ton of drivers to keep track of.

It doesn’t help that the drivers are often the size of a grain of rice.

Years ago, multi-driver gear was only available from mainstream western companies for thousands of dollars. Those companies have extensive multi-step QA procedures in place (involving multiple people), because the per unit cost justified it (as well as the reputation of the company).

Therefore, you are more likely to get an out of phase set from a small ChiFi operation selling $20 IEMs, because the price doesn’t allow for a multi-step QA procedure by a whole team of dedicated QA employees.

Using Shure as a generic example of the typical “high dollar western company”:

1. The profit margins are slim (vs higher profit arbitration Shure)
2. The production employees are not always the most skilled (vs the average production employee working at Shure)
3. There is minimal QA testing (vs massive QA testing at Shure)

Obviously, there are multiple levels of ChiFi gear just like there’s multiple levels of Western gear. The points I stated above are just generalizations. There are western companies with poor QA, just like there’s ChiFi companies with good QA.[/Q

Than you for the response. Very informative as Always.

Dec 9, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #20,484 of 33,689
I ordered a pair of EKSA E100 last night ( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/EKS...ed-Wireless-2-in-1-Handsfree/32943989237.html ).
For their price, they're practically disposable, but claim a decent battery life and seem solid build-wise.
I'm not expecting much, but I'm hoping to get a pleasant surprise. Although I doubt they'll match the Sony MDR-1AM2 that just got delivered and have been sitting on my noggin for about 15 minutes now.

Dec 9, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #20,485 of 33,689
Actually, I had to correct myself above after listening. The sub-bass is impressive, the overall sound is quite cohesive with a well-rounded image. Voices have a natural timbre and are a bit thin/distant in comparison to the more expensive hybrids. And the are really nice to handle...great materials. I got the ebony.

And yes, they are slightly warm because of the bass but not particularly dark.

These are good earphones. You will like them.

P.S. I use wide-bore tips to brighten them up a bit.
I absolutely loved my K4. I got it during 11/11 a few years ago. I recently gave them to my brother because they had been gathering dust and I didn't have the time to appreciate them.

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #20,486 of 33,689
I got my VJJB K4S from Amazon UK last February. I believe it was a closeout and I got the last one... for £13.99. Mine are the cherry wood. I love how tiny they are and they do sound great. Sadly I have not given them enough time... another reason I have to stop buying so many.

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #20,487 of 33,689
Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #20,488 of 33,689
Jus got some new toys: EZAudio d4, kz es4 n tfz series 2. The d4 n series 2 are both very enjoyable. I rly wanna like the es4 but the bass is too unbearable. Anyone kno how I can tame the bass?

Also for benjie t6 owners; are u guys running stock firmware or RockBox?

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #20,489 of 33,689
Yeah, i have read that but it seems to be the only proper review for them.
Here is photo of this cute Cinderilla (VJJB K4) with the Tennmak Whirlwind tips. Aproar had a review but I just see they are gone: server not found. They were the non-commercial counterpoint to the cheesy Phonograph and provided useful information. RIP Vidal's blog!

Those were the days when a springy, rubbery, non-detachable candy-cane cable did the job and nobody complained - 2 years ago.

IMG_0080.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back