Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jul 15, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #10,066 of 33,689
I asked this couple times but i don't believe i actually got a answer but are the xe800 really have the gr07 BE drivers in them? So if you get the xe800 there is no point in getting the gr07?

I don't know about the BE specifically, but I researched this a while ago myself because I was considering the XE800. They do share the same drivers as the GR07 (and GR07c), but it's reported that they're tuned with a different sound (whether it's due to specific driver tuning, or just sound differences due to the shell). The XE800 is supposed to have a "better shell" and also a much better fit. But I've also read comments that the XE800 doesn't fit that great because the gimmiky moving nozzle doesn't allow for a good enough angle in the ear canal.

As to which one is "better" seems to be subjective. Most people say the XE800 sounds better, and others say it just sounds "different".

Again, I don't own either, so I'm not speaking from personal experience just what I found on HF. If you search the forums on the topic, you'll find lots of discussions (including firsthand info from folks that own both).

The BIGGER problem with the XE800 seems to be guaranteeing you get a genuine version, as there's a flood of counterfeits. People have said that even some sellers who used to sell genuines are now selling fakes (not sure why - maybe the genuines can't be sourced anymore). It's much harder to tell the real from the fakes now that they're using the moving nozzles on the fakes. Personally, I wouldn't even risk it. There's plenty of IEMs that are just as good if not better for the same $ so why risk throwing money away on a fake?

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #10,067 of 33,689
Same driver can still have a vastly different sound though. Changes in housing shape, materials, tuning etc can make them sound nothing alike.

I agree. With earbuds, the Zen 1 for example is fairly desired, and the SeaHF 320 Smart 1.0 supposedly has the same driver, same shell, similar sound, but changes in wire and other aspects like tuning resulted in the Zen 1 going for around 150 where the SeaHF sold for around 50.

Jul 16, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #10,068 of 33,689
I asked this couple times but i don't believe i actually got a answer but are the xe800 really have the gr07 BE drivers in them? So if you get the xe800 there is no point in getting the gr07?

Also does any mmcx cable work with he pinnacle px? might order a cheap cable from aliexpress. Seems like the pinnacle px only comes with a microphone cable.

I don't own any but I read
Xe800 is neutral
Gr07 is fun

So both are tuned differently

Jul 16, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #10,069 of 33,689
Thanks - I just added an update to my post, so be sure to take another look if interested.

As far as the ZS5, I have not received my ZS5 yet nor did I purchase the gold cable with it. I was just planning on using the silver ZS3 cable I already own once the ZS5 arrives. Sorry I can't be more help. The gold cable is definitely good looking, and KZ even makes a sexy orange cable now as well!

Thank you again, well it seems like china earphone market is going to get a little interesting, will order a ZS5 with Silver and Gold upgrade cable when I have save enough $$$.

Jul 16, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #10,070 of 33,689
hahaha, that's rich!

That reminds me of the photo of Dr. Dre producing in his studio while wearing Beats. Yeah, right - like he really used his own products legitimate production work LOL!

I bet You don't believe Marky Mark uses ATT to download his TV shows faster, anywhere on his cell phone either?

:ksc75smile::ksc75smile: TWIN

Jul 16, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #10,071 of 33,689
I bet You don't believe Marky Mark uses ATT to download his TV shows faster, anywhere on his cell phone either?

:ksc75smile::ksc75smile: TWIN

marky mark 2.gif

Jul 16, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #10,072 of 33,689
Hi guys. I wanna ask if its worth buying a dac or dap anymore these days. As mobile phone are getting equipped with better and better dac and dap like lg g6 and v20. I am actually wondering if these two model for example, are able to replace dac and dap like Fiio E17k and Fiio X3.
Thanks !

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #10,073 of 33,689
Hi guys. I wanna ask if its worth buying a dac or dap anymore these days. As mobile phone are getting equipped with better and better dac and dap like lg g6 and v20. I am actually wondering if these two model for example, are able to replace dac and dap like Fiio E17k and Fiio X3.
Thanks !

Most (halfway) decent DAPs have features in them no phone has - amplifiers that drive headphones a phone couldn't even touch, line output, dual card slots, optical outputs, balanced headphone jacks, etc.

But if you are talking one of those tiny little $20 ChiFi DAPs w/the 70hr battery life, then yeah I would just use your phone.

Also keep in mind that even though some of the better phones have decent dac chips in them, they are not purpose built for audio. Besides the radios and other electronics crammed in phones that could potentially cause EMI and other noise in the audio, decent DAPs always have better specs than any phone (noise, distortion, SNR, etc).

But it boils down to convenience and what works for you in any given situation. I went skating today, and wasn't going to lug my DAP + amp with me. I just streamed music from my iPhone to my KZ ZST via the KZ bluetooth cable. But when I'm at home or work I much prefer to use my DAP/amp with wired headphones/IEMs for best sound.

So to answer your question, I use both setups for various purposes (and definitely appreciate having both setups available).

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #10,074 of 33,689
Thanks
I am interested in Fiio e17k but have seen that people mention it not actually better than LG V20.
If I buy Fiio e17k, will phones be better than it in like a few years time?
Btw, I prioritise SQ and Price together. So i don't mind using dac strap to phone.

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #10,075 of 33,689
If I buy Fiio e17k, will phones be better than it in like a few years time?

If I could answer that I would be a billionaire.

A lot changes in 2 years when dealing with technology.

My personal opinion is that obviously cell phones will advance in 2 years, but so will DAPs/DACs. Look at IEMs from 2 years ago vs what you can get today for the same cost.

Besides, you can only deal with the here and now. Cross that future bridge in 2 years when the time comes.

Lemme ask you some questions:

1. Do you have to have a DAC, or is a DAP OK?
2. Do you need optical out?
3. Do you need balanced headphone connection?
4. Do you need bluetooth? What about aptX?
5. Is 1 microSD card slot OK, or do you need 2?
6. Do you want a player that supports Rockbox, or is the stock firmware OK?
7. Are you planning on using just IEMs with the player, or full size headphones as well?
8. What is the impedance ranges of the headphones you will be using?
9. What is your budget?
10. Do you plan on running an amp along with the DAP/DAC, or just using the player as-is?
11. If you want a DAC, do you need USB Type C?
12. Do you need DSD support?
13. Do you need EQ support?

Jul 17, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #10,076 of 33,689
Does anybody know a good $100 or so headphone that looks like a custom but it's universal?

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #10,078 of 33,689
Does anybody know a good $100 or so headphone that looks like a custom but it's universal?

You could check out the TFZ Exclusive 5 and King and the upcoming Kinera H3.

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #10,079 of 33,689
If I could answer that I would be a billionaire.

A lot changes in 2 years when dealing with technology.

My personal opinion is that obviously cell phones will advance in 2 years, but so will DAPs/DACs. Look at IEMs from 2 years ago vs what you can get today for the same cost.

Besides, you can only deal with the here and now. Cross that future bridge in 2 years when the time comes.

Lemme ask you some questions:

1. Do you have to have a DAC, or is a DAP OK?
2. Do you need optical out?
3. Do you need balanced headphone connection?
4. Do you need bluetooth? What about aptX?
5. Is 1 microSD card slot OK, or do you need 2?
6. Do you want a player that supports Rockbox, or is the stock firmware OK?
7. Are you planning on using just IEMs with the player, or full size headphones as well?
8. What is the impedance ranges of the headphones you will be using?
9. What is your budget?
10. Do you plan on running an amp along with the DAP/DAC, or just using the player as-is?
11. If you want a DAC, do you need USB Type C?
12. Do you need DSD support?
13. Do you need EQ support?

Thanks. I got it. I very much prefer dac. As a dac will sound better compared to a similar priced dap right. Correct me if i am wrong.
And how is the fiio q1 vs e 17k?
Thank you!

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #10,080 of 33,689
You could check out the TFZ Exclusive 5 and King and the upcoming Kinera H3.

Ooo the TFZ looks nice. Is there any reviews on tfz 5 vs the kinera. Now I just joined the pinnacle px drop few weeks ago I am thinking about canceling it or maybe get both the pinnacle px and tfz, kinera or maybe get all 3 lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back