Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jul 17, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #10,081 of 33,689
Most (halfway) decent DAPs have features in them no phone has - amplifiers that drive headphones a phone couldn't even touch, line output, dual card slots, optical outputs, balanced headphone jacks, etc.

But if you are talking one of those tiny little $20 ChiFi DAPs w/the 70hr battery life, then yeah I would just use your phone.

Also keep in mind that even though some of the better phones have decent dac chips in them, they are not purpose built for audio. Besides the radios and other electronics crammed in phones that could potentially cause EMI and other noise in the audio, decent DAPs always have better specs than any phone (noise, distortion, SNR, etc).

But it boils down to convenience and what works for you in any given situation. I went skating today, and wasn't going to lug my DAP + amp with me. I just streamed music from my iPhone to my KZ ZST via the KZ bluetooth cable. But when I'm at home or work I much prefer to use my DAP/amp with wired headphones/IEMs for best sound.

So to answer your question, I use both setups for various purposes (and definitely appreciate having both setups available).

Out of curiosity, what cheap DAPs have you compared to what smart phones to come to this conclusion?

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #10,082 of 33,689
Does anybody know a good $100 or so headphone that looks like a custom but it's universal?
Kinera H3

h3.jpg

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #10,083 of 33,689
Thanks. I got it. I very much prefer dac. As a dac will sound better compared to a similar priced dap right. Correct me if i am wrong.
And how is the fiio q1 vs e 17k?
Thank you!

Not sure about the FiiO Q1 or E17K.

A DAC is a simple device (or function) that converts a digital audio signal to a line level analog audio signal.

A typical DAP contains 3 main components:
- Digital media player with storage
- DAC
- Headphone amplifier

As you can see, a DAC is one of many functions built into a DAP. A DAP could not function without a built in DAC feature.

Some DAPs can provide the same function, as a simple DAC (digital in / analog line-out). For example using a DAP as a DAC and plugging in an external amplifier (headphone or speaker) into the line output jack. But normally a DAP's DAC function is used with the DAP's built in headphone amplifier.

Are you hooking this up to a home stereo? Or attaching to a computer via USB for digital to analog playback?

What about attaching it to the USB output of your phone for digital to analog playback?

Or will you just be using it with headphones and walking around town?

Do you plan on attaching an external amplifier?

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #10,084 of 33,689
Received the ZS5 today to upgrade on the ZS3.

What a great sound on the ZS5. More detailed and less oomph. I always found the bass on the ZS3 a little too prominent.

On the other hand the comfort on the Zs3 are way better. Small tips on the ZS5 are to loose and middle a bit too tight.

But overall i like the upgrade. With these quality sounding headphones i am for sure we are paying too much for A-branded IEM's

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #10,085 of 33,689

What a great sound on the ZS5. More detailed and less oomph. I always found the bass on the ZS3 a little too prominent.

On the other hand the comfort on the Zs3 are way better. Small tips on the ZS5 are to loose and middle a bit too tight.

But overall i like the upgrade. With these quality sounding headphones i am for sure we are paying too much for A-branded IEM's

FYI, JVC Spinfits have sizes in between the normal S, M, and L that may provide a better fit for you. They are called the SM and ML. They are also very good quality.

Also, if you remove the small piece of black tuning foam from inside the nozzle of the ZS3, it reduces the bloated bass in a good way. It's not going to compare with the ZS5, but it definitely improves the ZS3 (and like you said, it is super comfortable).

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #10,086 of 33,689
Thanks for the tips tip :gs1000smile: slaterlovesspam

Also ordered the Bluetooth kit. But as i allready thought it's (IMO) a waste of money.
Never was a fan of audio via Bluetooth. Thought maybe in time there are improvements...
The clear highs are gone. And stereo separation is way less.
But hey what can you complain for that money.
Guess i leave the silver cables on. And the Bluetooth kit on the ZS3 for when i need wireless.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #10,087 of 33,689
Thanks for the tips tip :gs1000smile: slaterlovesspam

Also ordered the Bluetooth kit. But as i allready thought it's (IMO) a waste of money.
Never was a fan of audio via Bluetooth. Thought maybe in time there are improvements...
The clear highs are gone. And stereo separation is way less.
But hey what can you complain for that money.
Guess i leave the silver cables on. And the Bluetooth kit on the ZS3 for when i need wireless.

Sure, let us know how they work out for you.

I might also mention that the ZS3 doesn't sound good with the Bluetooth cable. I think it just doesn't get enough power, or else there is some impedance mismatch that results in the poor sound. I'm just using the ZS3 bluetooth cable on the ZST, which sounds much better for some reason (and it technically fits fine).

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #10,088 of 33,689
I don't know about the BE specifically, but I researched this a while ago myself because I was considering the XE800. They do share the same drivers as the GR07 (and GR07c), but it's reported that they're tuned with a different sound (whether it's due to specific driver tuning, or just sound differences due to the shell). The XE800 is supposed to have a "better shell" and also a much better fit. But I've also read comments that the XE800 doesn't fit that great because the gimmiky moving nozzle doesn't allow for a good enough angle in the ear canal.

As to which one is "better" seems to be subjective. Most people say the XE800 sounds better, and others say it just sounds "different".

Again, I don't own either, so I'm not speaking from personal experience just what I found on HF. If you search the forums on the topic, you'll find lots of discussions (including firsthand info from folks that own both).

The BIGGER problem with the XE800 seems to be guaranteeing you get a genuine version, as there's a flood of counterfeits. People have said that even some sellers who used to sell genuines are now selling fakes (not sure why - maybe the genuines can't be sourced anymore). It's much harder to tell the real from the fakes now that they're using the moving nozzles on the fakes. Personally, I wouldn't even risk it. There's plenty of IEMs that are just as good if not better for the same $ so why risk throwing money away on a fake?

LOL! Can't really decide if I'm supposed to feel sad or amused the few times I come across people comparing products they've got no first hand experience with in here.

Fortunately it doesn't happen very often.

Jul 17, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #10,089 of 33,689

I can't agree at all. The ZS5 next to the P1/Quad just sounds... well, it sounds like it cost $30. They're "detailed" in the sense that the low end is weak. I really wanted to like these, but despite my best efforts they sound intensely artificial.

I'm looking at maybe trying one of the others out there, but man I admit to being a tad disappointed. After spending the last few days listening to them almost exclusively, the instant I threw in the others I went "oh yeah, that's what this music is supposed to sound like."

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #10,090 of 33,689
I can't agree at all. The ZS5 next to the P1/Quad just sounds... well, it sounds like it cost $30. They're "detailed" in the sense that the low end is weak. I really wanted to like these, but despite my best efforts they sound intensely artificial.

I'm looking at maybe trying one of the others out there, but man I admit to being a tad disappointed. After spending the last few days listening to them almost exclusively, the instant I threw in the others I went "oh yeah, that's what this music is supposed to sound like."
Hint...I initially had the same impression of the ZS5 using the stock KZ Starline tips but I only realised the full potential of ZS5's sound quality after pairing it with the Comply T400 tips.

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #10,091 of 33,689
LOL! Can't really decide if I'm supposed to feel sad or amused the few times I come across people comparing products they've got no first hand experience with in here.

Are you referring to me? I never said I had 1st hand experience with those 2 IEMs.

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #10,092 of 33,689

In all honesty after comparing both the XE800 and the GR07 Classic...I definitely prefer the sound of the GR07 Classic way more than the XE800, which I purchased thinking that it's the cheapest way to get a spare GR07 Classic and boy was I wrong.

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #10,093 of 33,689
Anyone still talk about the DZ7s or DZ9s? Just curious to know if they're still popular around here and how they sound

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #10,094 of 33,689
Hint...I initially had the same impression of the ZS5 using the stock KZ Starline tips but I only realised the full potential of ZS5's sound quality after pairing it with the Comply T400 tips.

I've got Comply tips, I've got Spinfits, I've got Spiral Dots. The Comply tips help because it's a lot more comfortable, but the sound definitely doesn't make much of a leap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back