Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jul 18, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #10,096 of 33,689
Anyone using the Seahf AWK-009 here? I just received mine and I can't bear the treble. Vocals sound too harsh to my ears and overall the music does not sound smooth. Does it require a lot of burn-in? Using treble reduce on the iphone EQ tames it a bit, any other tips?

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #10,097 of 33,689
In all honesty after comparing both the XE800 and the GR07 Classic...I definitely prefer the sound of the GR07 Classic way more than the XE800, which I purchased thinking that it's the cheapest way to get a spare GR07 Classic and boy was I wrong.

I've only got the BE's but I'd certainly say that they're a much better iem than the XE800. That being said the XE800 is still a great value for the price I paid for them imo.

I've also got the AN16 that should be using the same driver and also sounds completely different to the other two so the XE800 may still use the same driver though...

If all these are indeed using the same driver it just shows how small part of the sound the driver itself contributes with.

Are you referring to me? I never said I had 1st hand experience with those 2 IEMs.

That's exactly why I'm surprised to read your comparison between them (as you haven't heard them) :wink:

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #10,098 of 33,689
Well I guess the ZS5's sound signature is not your cup of tea then.

He's not discussing about signature. He's discussing about quality. It's a little painful to see people write clearly their thoughts and be repeatedly misunderstood. It seems like some people don't want to understand.

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #10,099 of 33,689
Anyone using the Seahf AWK-009 here? I just received mine and I can't bear the treble. Vocals sound too harsh to my ears and overall the music does not sound smooth. Does it require a lot of burn-in? Using treble reduce on the iphone EQ tames it a bit, any other tips?

I was close to buying it but then my ZS5 arrived and looking for Chi-fi IEMS has been on hold since then.

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #10,100 of 33,689

They aren't harsh they're just bright earphones, I have brighter ones than the AWK009. You'll get used to them overtime but you can tame it a bit with foam ear tips, comply 400 fit.

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #10,101 of 33,689
They're "detailed" in the sense that the low end is weak. I really wanted to like these, but despite my best efforts they sound intensely artificial.

Some people describe the ZS5s as being overly bassy, this is the first one I've seen say it's the other way around. Given the artificial comment as well, have you checked the polarity on the ZS5s?

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #10,102 of 33,689
I've only got the BE's but I'd certainly say that they're a much better iem than the XE800. That being said the XE800 is still a great value for the price I paid for them imo.

I've also got the AN16 that should be using the same driver and also sounds completely different to the other two so the XE800 may still use the same driver though...

If all these are indeed using the same driver it just shows how small part of the sound the driver itself contributes with.
Yes, I totally agree with you peter123. Looks like the housing for the driver and the final tuning of the IEM plays a big role on the final sound of an IEM. It's like putting a Porsche sports engine into a Honda Fit and expecting it to perform like a real Porsche. Having said that, the XE800's sound does indeed justify the price that one pays for it...but I'm now already too spoilt by the KZ ZST and ZS5's performance for their asking price...blame it on KZ :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #10,103 of 33,689
Some people describe the ZS5s as being overly bassy, this is the first one I've seen say it's the other way around. Given the artificial comment as well, have you checked the polarity on the ZS5s?

The polarity? As in which way the things are plugged in? They're definitely not wrong on that front (they'd fit way wrong otherwise). Maybe I did get a dud, but the two earpieces both sound the same. If it turns out mine are just bad, that'd be a relief because boy I wanted these to sound better.

Jul 18, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #10,104 of 33,689
Has been reported that some are wired incorrectly, try one side inserted the opposite way round and see if that makes a difference. Bass should improve according to others with the issue

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #10,105 of 33,689
Has been reported that some are wired incorrectly, try one side inserted the opposite way round and see if that makes a difference. Bass should improve according to others with the issue

Which way are they supposed to be? Tried letters facing and letters facing out.

Ran into an interesting situation: it appears these really do need juice. For the last two days I'd be listening to them straight out of a laptop at what I'd consider a moderate volume and the entire bottom half of the spectrum was missing. Plugged them into my Mojo and they "woke up," sounding like I remembered them over the weekend.

More auditioning it looks like.

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #10,106 of 33,689
Which way are they supposed to be? Tried letters facing and letters facing out.

Ran into an interesting situation: it appears these really do need juice. For the last two days I'd be listening to them straight out of a laptop at what I'd consider a moderate volume and the entire bottom half of the spectrum was missing. Plugged them into my Mojo and they "woke up," sounding like I remembered them over the weekend.

More auditioning it looks like.

The shape of the plug and socket should indicate the correct way round - but - you'll want to try one the wrong way round to get them in the opposite phase. Sounds like you've got a fix, I've never heard a decent sounding PC/Laptop yet

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #10,107 of 33,689
The shape of the plug and socket should indicate the correct way round - but - you'll want to try one the wrong way round to get them in the opposite phase. Sounds like you've got a fix, I've never heard a decent sounding PC/Laptop yet

Methinks the ZS5 really needs the juice because it's a quad driver. The Pinnacle P1 doesn't have any issues, but this really seems to need extra power.

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #10,108 of 33,689
Methinks the ZS5 really needs the juice because it's a quad driver. The Pinnacle P1 doesn't have any issues, but this really seems to need extra power.

ZS5 is incredibly easy to drive, more likely an impedance related issue. I find that my Cozoy Aegis is too powerful meaning I have less 'adjustment' so I end up using my iPhone direct

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #10,109 of 33,689
ZS5 is incredibly easy to drive, more likely an impedance related issue. I find that my Cozoy Aegis is too powerful meaning I have less 'adjustment' so I end up using my iPhone direct

I'm aware of the numbers, but I know that the "harder to drive" P1s have none of the issues that the ZS5 have given me. Additionally, the ZS5 needs about 75% volume out of the laptop directly as opposed to about 30% for the P1.

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #10,110 of 33,689
I never mentioned numbers. I said that the ZS5 is easy to drive but I found a significant difference between how the ZS5 performs between different DACs/DAPs. I put that down to an impedance mismatch with the source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back