Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jul 14, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #10,037 of 33,689
I mean let's not get ahead of ourselves here. KZ is still in the sub-$30 crowd while Mee and 1more are both now in the $100-200 area, so hang tight before we start totally condemning, eh?

That's exactly the point. If you play at the low-budget arena (~$30) and you have some ambitions to going up the food chain, perhaps you should start by making some design improvements here and there without simply showing you have nothing to offer except picking up someone else's examples. Many cheap, good-sounding IEMs appeared from chifi-brands without being direct copies.

I mean, c'mon, the M6 is still basically an se215 ripoff.

Disagree. It's definitely similar, but can go as far as calling it "inspired". Shape is different, connectors are different, cable is totally different, it's not a 1:1 copy as if you got the CAD files or something (as in the case of the ZS5)

A bit like the Havi B3 Pro 1 was "inspired" by the Sennheiser IE80 but still managed to bring a few changes here and there, even at low cost. Some inspiration is tolerable at low price, but full copies are just, well, lame.

That won't keep me from buying the ZS5, well, I already did. I don't hate the brand or I couldn't have bought it, but it's rather disappointing at the same time, especially because a good hybrid at low price is something the market can always use. But copying 1:1 is totally unnecessary when the really exciting stuff comes form new (not necessarily expensive) designs.

Jul 14, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #10,038 of 33,689
I'll post my .02 - I received my KZ ZS5 and was looking forward to having a good 'beater' that I can use. However, they came with the right side already having a broken driver. It sounds terrible, and raspy, no way this would pass quality control.

So that pretty much sums it up in regards to KZ's quality control, or lack there of. With the demand as of tight now and having more drivers will only make it harder to keep the ones that shouldn't have passed qc from being shipped out to customers. I purchased mine on Alie but since I received them and they technically work even though they're broken I'll only be getting a partial refund but most likely not since it's not easy to capture video with sound that is sensitive enough for me to prove it to the seller, also sending them back to China from the US would cost close to how much I paid for them(not worth it); therefore it's now just trash and I won't bother harassing the seller since it came unopened(plastic shrink wrapped from KZ) and it isn't their fault.

Pretty disappointed with the ZS5, I'm planning on just throwing them away along with Sender DT2+, if anyone wants them in the Los Angeles county or Orange county area just let me know.

Jul 14, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #10,039 of 33,689
That's exactly the point. If you play at the low-budget arena (~$30) and you have some ambitions to going up the food chain, perhaps you should start by making some design improvements here and there without simply showing you have nothing to offer except picking up someone else's examples. Many cheap, good-sounding IEMs appeared from chifi-brands without being direct copies.

I think this is a case of them making their way up the ladder by earning some money first and then investing in bigger and better things.

IMO, I'd rather them put R&D into the guts than the shell. If they can make something that sounds $100 but costs $30 I could not give less of a crap about if the shell copies someone else.

Keep in mind I didn't bring up the M6 to talk crap. I liked my M6, I kinda want to try the M7, and I own the P1 (just got a replacement earpiece today actually). I'm saying that these companies might rip the aesthetics from various brands, but they make up for it with the sonic output, ideally. I mean, it's worth saying that the ZS5 is the only CA copy they've got. The ZST looks incredibly distinct.

Jul 14, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #10,040 of 33,689
I think this is a case of them making their way up the ladder by earning some money first and then investing in bigger and better things.

IMO, I'd rather them put R&D into the guts than the shell. If they can make something that sounds $100 but costs $30 I could not give less of a **** about if the shell copies someone else.

Keep in mind I didn't bring up the M6 to talk ****. I liked my M6, I kinda want to try the M7, and I own the P1 (just got a replacement earpiece today actually). I'm saying that these companies might rip the aesthetics from various brands, but they make up for it with the sonic output, ideally. I mean, it's worth saying that the ZS5 is the only CA copy they've got. The ZST looks incredibly distinct.

Until you notice the same shell being used by a number of other companies, such as TFZ. :ksc75smile:

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #10,042 of 33,689
The King and ZST use the exact same main body of the housing (face plate excluded obviously). Same mold lines and everything. Since the King apparently uses the same housing as the Series 1-5 (I don't have them myself to confirm), they should be the same too.

20170714_180728.jpg 20170714_180655.jpg 20170714_180748.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #10,043 of 33,689
2DD+2BA (are they BA even Knowles? Their pricing doesn't match the part KZ mentioned)

No, they are custom made for KZ by a Chinese manufacturer.

And these days you can hire a student to spell check your materials for $20 or $30.

I'd do it for them for free. KZ, are you listening?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #10,044 of 33,689
The King and ZST use the exact same main body of the housing (face plate excluded obviously). Same mold lines and everything. Since the King apparently uses the same housing as the Series 1-5 (I don't have them myself to confirm), they should be the same too.

It looks... similar? I can't say for sure without a pair myself. I know the 5 looked rather different from the others (due to being a dual driver). I only have the 5s.

Either way, we'll see what happens when the ZS5 lands tomorrow. If the shell is a rip, I'm honestly not even slightly concerned.

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #10,045 of 33,689

Hmmm, those bodies look slightly different - 1 looks slightly larger (not just the perspective shot either), and the nozzle angle looks slightly different.

I'm sure you're right though, since I'm looking at a few photos and you're holding the actual items in your hands LOL

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #10,046 of 33,689
Until you notice the same shell being used by a number of other companies, such as TFZ. :ksc75smile:

I'm sure you're aware, but that's the reality of manufacturing in China.

It's WAY cheaper to use "shared molds" on products then get your own molds produced. A lot of manufacturers of Chinese goods use these shared molds, on everything from toys to electronics cases (they refer to them as 'public' molds).

I'm not saying it's right, just that it's very common in the land of the Wild West that is Chinese manufacturing.

I've put RFPs out on manufacturing cast and injection molded products before, and the price was significantly higher if I wanted my own custom molds produced vs using an existing mold. Also, with low volume items (like custom IEMs), the molds can last a LONG time before their life is used up (depending on a number of factors). Company X could have fronted the cash to have the original mold of a widget made by Factory Q, who used said mold to produce 5k pcs. Now Company X and Y come along to Factory Q looking to get a similar widget made. Factory Q can just use the same mold to make a run of 1k widgets by company Y and 5k widgets by company Z, without company Y and Z having to absorb the original costs of the mold. Since the 'guts' of the widget are usually different, it's no big deal (unless original Company X holds a design patent and wants to try and prosecute Companies Y and Z). But 75% of the time, companies don't care unless things like logos are duplicated of course.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #10,047 of 33,689
I'm sure you're aware, but that's the reality of manufacturing in China.

It's WAY cheaper to use "shared molds" on products then get your own molds produced. A lot of manufacturers of Chinese goods use these shared molds, on everything from toys to electronics cases (they refer to them as 'public' molds).

I'm not saying it's right, just that it's very common in the land of the Wild West that is Chinese manufacturing.

Oh, I know, haha. I was just pointing out the sharing going on. Anyone who has followed this thread for any length of time or perused AliExpress should know it's common practice.

Hmmm, those bodies look slightly different - 1 looks slightly larger (not just the perspective shot either), and the nozzle angle looks slightly different.

I'm sure you're right though, since I'm looking at a few photos and you're holding the actual items in your hands LOL

It's the perspective + lighting. They are identical, minus it feeling like the King uses higher quality plastics.

I already ruined someone's day with this discussion about these exact housings a couple months ago so I'm going to respectfully back out now.

Jul 14, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #10,048 of 33,689
It's the perspective + lighting. They are identical, minus it feeling like the King uses higher quality plastics.

I already ruined someone's day with this discussion about these exact housings a couple months ago so I'm going to respectfully back out now.

Good to know.

KZ did the same thing on the ATE vs ATR - same mold, different (stiffer) plastic (ATR = polycarbonate).

Jul 14, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #10,049 of 33,689

Nothing ruined, my dude! I'm not surprised they share molds over there. If they can squeeze the price down by spending more on the drivers and less on the housing, I'm down with that.

Jul 14, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #10,050 of 33,689
I can just picture the KZ CEO driving his Mercedes and listening to CA Andromeda with a smile on his face while he idles past his factory workers who have been saving up for months to buy a ZS5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back