Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jul 14, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #10,021 of 33,689
Jul 14, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #10,022 of 33,689
Maybe I'm lucky or have weird shaped ears but I have no sharp edge issues. :L3000:

My only comfort issue is currently trying to find the most comfortable tip. If only I could readily buy my favorite tips, I'd easily have no issues. I'll have to go through all my IEMs and find those tips that have been sitting on seldom-used iems.

Jul 14, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #10,023 of 33,689
I did see a post comparing the ZS5 to the P1, I think it said 'enjoying more' rather than better. That's very different to 'better than' and it was one comment not a universal opinion.

That's splitting hairs to an insane level. This is a purely subjective hobby, saying "I enjoy this more" is no different than "I think this is better."

It's also not the only time I've seen it. People love claiming that chi-fi is so amazing that it kills higher-end gear. So I occasionally pick up the most hyped set. Before it was the TFZ S5, now the KZ ZS5.

...lotta products with a Z, S, and 5 in the name.

Jul 14, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #10,024 of 33,689
That's splitting hairs to an insane level. This is a purely subjective hobby, saying "I enjoy this more" is no different than "I think this is better."

A pair of earphones can be 'technically' better but not be as enjoyable as another because the end user has a preference for a particular sound signature. e.g. Vivo XE800 vs KZ ZS3 - I find the ZS3 more enjoyable but I recognise that the XE800 is the better earphone.

Jul 14, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #10,025 of 33,689
A pair of earphones can be 'technically' better but not be as enjoyable as another because the end user has a preference for a particular sound signature. e.g. Vivo XE800 vs KZ ZS3 - I find the ZS3 more enjoyable but I recognise that the XE800 is the better earphone.

That's how I feel about the ZS3 and ZS5. 5 is technically better, but I enjoy the 3 more. :)

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #10,026 of 33,689

Man that is so true.

Jul 14, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #10,027 of 33,689
You guize...my zither is so fragrant right now.....

OOTB...worth every penny. Everything I loved about the Series 5 with more control in the bottom and the veil lifted off of the highs and mids.

Will post more impressions soon.
Let me join the party too! Went to my local audio store today and auditioned both the TFZ Kings and the Exclusive 5. Went home with the Exclusive 5. Took me a very long time to decide which to get because I liked the signature of the Kings more than the Exclusive 5. The bass were tight and accurate but laidback in presentation. One word to describe the Kings would be controlled. On some tracks my mind was mentally ready for usual frequency peaks but the Kings handled it like a boss or should I say a king and ai did not cringed a bit. The trebles are not too hot but I would say it is just right for me. (Personally I prefer a warm to neutral sound signature) I would not say it is bright imo (compared to earbuds like the K500 Ohms) I still went for the Exclusive 5 in the end because it was more comfortable and fits my ear better. It did not have the sound signature I look for in the Kings but gets pretty close when I switch the tips with spiral dots. I will probably hold on to this for y(ears) to come. To describe the Exclusive 5 would be relaxed, effortless and maybe even fun. Soundstage is airy, expansive and there is height. Bass has a quick decay and punches tight and is not too overwhelming such that it sounds dark. Trebles do not have the extra shimmer that the Kings have but comes pretty close. I love how the Hi-cats sound on this pair of iems. Just my quick impressions
1500044734197654859537.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #10,029 of 33,689
Instead of the view on 30$ iems taking on iems few times its price or commonly known as the giant killer concept, i'm more willing to view thing as the best gem at its price range. Ppl usually buy stuff based on their budget within their own economic capabilities so i think it's better we say the ZS5 is a great iem at the 30$ range or P1 is a good iem in the 200$ range. I believe when doing reviews it's wise to compare too within the same price range of things or otherwise it's always a very vague concept such as when a 30$ IEM can score a 5star whereas 200$ IEM a 3star, does that make the 200$ IEM no better than 30$ IEM ? Just something that has intrigued me for long... there's good iem at every budget and there are bad iem at evey budget as well so the ZS5 is definitely outstanding at the 30$ range

Good points. I do love a good deal, as in more value. Almost the same performance, for much less money.

But some reviews should be more broad when making the usual comments about model X being a total bargain. It might be a bargain compared to model Y that costs 10x more, but perhaps it's still a bit, well, crappy.

Anyway, ordered the ZS5 today. Couldn't resist. 2DD+2BA (are the BA even Knowles? Their pricing doesn't match the part KZ mentioned) and a truly comical design where everything is ripped off (from the box to the Campfire Audio shell, to the RHA eartip plaque, the ALO cable, etc) and a marketing leaflet that has so much fun Engrish that it matches all the rest like a fine dark chocolate joining a full bodied smooth red wine. "Outstanding high-frequency ductility can, so do not need to worry that don't worry will lose high-frequency details" - and so on.

I'll eat my words if it sounds good. Maybe it does. But it kinda made me lose any remaining respect for KZ. Such a lame direct copy was totally unnecessary. And these days you can hire a student to spell check your materials for $20 or $30.

Thought I'd see this brand slowly refine and become a supplier with cheap, good value offerings, evolving to some sort of Mee,1More, etc, but instead they totally opted to remain a copier like so many others. Maybe it's the book I'm reading. Makes me bitter. :p

Very curious about how those 4 drivers sound tho. And seeing them next to the Andromeda will be worth the 16 EUR. Green and Gray. On a sarcastic twist, I wouldn't be surprised if the box looks way better. The CA packaging looks as if it came with 7 EUR IEMs.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #10,030 of 33,689
Good points. I do love a good deal, as in more value. Almost the same performance, for much less money.

But some reviews should be more broad when making the usual comments about model X being a total bargain. It might be a bargain compared to model Y that costs 10x more, but perhaps it's still a bit, well, crappy.

Anyway, ordered the ZS5 today. Couldn't resist. 2DD+2BA (are the BA even Knowles? Their pricing doesn't match the part KZ mentioned) and a truly comical design where everything is ripped off (from the box to the Campfire Audio shell, to the RHA eartip plaque, the ALO cable, etc) and a marketing leaflet that has so much fun Engrish that it matches all the rest like a fine dark chocolate joining a full bodied smooth red wine. "Outstanding high-frequency ductility can, so do not need to worry that don't worry will lose high-frequency details" - and so on.

I'll eat my words if it sounds good. Maybe it does. But it kinda made me lose any remaining respect for KZ. Such a lame direct copy was totally unnecessary. And these days you can hire a student to spell check your materials for $20 or $30.

Thought I'd see this brand slowly refine and become a supplier with cheap, good value offerings, evolving to some sort of Mee,1More, etc, but instead they totally opted to remain a copier like so many others. Maybe it's the book I'm reading. Makes me bitter. :p

Very curious about how those 4 drivers sound tho. And seeing them next to the Andromeda will be worth the 16 EUR. Green and Gray. On a sarcastic twist, I wouldn't be surprised if the box looks way better. The CA packaging looks as if it came with 7 EUR IEMs.

KZ essentially made their name with Audio Technica ripoffs, and they haven't necessarily stopped (ATE/ATR for example). Like I said before, I don't approve of this practice but it's business as normal for them. At least they don't try to pass off their borrowed designs as the real thing, unlike a lot of other Chinese companies. Still doesn't make it right, but...

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #10,032 of 33,689
Those simple designs and design ripoffs are however a part of the "secret" why they can offer their IEMs for so little money - they just don't have to spend much time at all when it comes to designing the shell.
Superlux is doing it just the same way.

Monoprice as well. Can't even act like the M1060 isn't a shameless Audeze ripoff.

TBH I find the fact that the ZS5 looks like a cheap Andro kinda endearing. Makes me want to check 'em out. If the guts are solid, I ain't concerned about the lack of originality.

Jul 14, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #10,033 of 33,689
Thought I'd see this brand slowly refine and become a supplier with cheap, good value offerings, evolving to some sort of Mee,1More, etc, but instead they totally opted to remain a copier like so many others.

I mean let's not get ahead of ourselves here. KZ is still in the sub-$30 crowd while Mee and 1more are both now in the $100-200 area, so hang tight before we start totally condemning, eh?

I mean, c'mon, the M6 is still basically an se215 ripoff.

Jul 14, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #10,034 of 33,689
Monoprice as well. Can't even act like the M1060 isn't a shameless Audeze ripoff.

Don't blame Monoprice, blame O&E (http://oe360.cn/headphone/e800p-bak?lang=en) who seems to be the OEM manufacturer.

Regarding the ZS5, it has basically got a lot in common with the popular 1More E1001, just with a somewhat leaner and slightly more recessed midrange (I compared both head-to-head in my ZS5 review because I was surprised by how much the ZS5 reminded me of the E1001).

Jul 14, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #10,035 of 33,689
Don't blame Monoprice, blame O&E (http://oe360.cn/headphone/e800p-bak?lang=en) who seems to be the OEM manufacturer.

Regarding the ZS5, it has basically got a lot in common with the popular 1More E1001, just with a somewhat leaner and slightly more recessed midrange (I compared both head-to-head in my ZS5 review because I was surprised by how much the ZS5 reminded me of the E1001).

You can call it the triple, you know, I had to google that because I'd never heard it referred to by model number LMAO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back