Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Dec 20, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #29,267 of 33,689
My Urbanblob is here finally, will listen a bit and give my first impressions
ok first impressions of the URBANFUN YBF-ISS 014 - the tonality is somewhat U shaped but dip only in the upper mids/lower treble area, the bass is boosted but i don't think it is more than the Blon, similar quantity (will compare them with more songs for the full review), the bass quality is better than the Blon, it is a very fast bass for DD earphone, similar to Semckarchy bass speed or faster (will compare them for the full review), the bass texture is better than both, it has high amount of details in the bass with no bloom, the midrange is a bit warm, it has dip in the upper mids, but mid and lower midrange is there so the overall tonality is a bit dark in the mids, very smooth and creamy however with clean and natural presentation just a tad calm than usual, they have good amount of mid treble but lower treble is dipped so the treble has kind of a fine and airy tonality and a bit lacking in bite when the cymbal hit, treble sounds like it is cleaner than the Blon but with different flavor tonality wise, the imaging is very precise, it is easy to hear the positions of the instruments, soundstage is wide but is not very deep like the guy from the video said
i have to listen and compare more, they are a bit more technical than the Blon but the timber is not the same
that is it for now, time for a beer

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #29,268 of 33,689
To all FAAEAL fans, there's a FAAEAL lucky bag on AE right now:

I'm guessing:
option A - looks quite good pricing for a Litz cable
option B - FAAEAL has lots of earbuds, so not sure what is gonna be in the bag, I hope it's the new Datura Pro, but maybe it's wishful thinking
option C - must be the Hibiscus right?
I would jump on that cable if they had a 2.5mm option. Other sellers offer that option, but since the official store doesn't even on its normal listing I doubt they will for this one.

Dec 20, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #29,269 of 33,689
I would jump on that cable if they had a 2.5mm option. Other sellers offer that option, but since the official store doesn't even on its normal listing I doubt they will for this one.

They do - I own 2 of them.

Dec 20, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #29,270 of 33,689
While you make a valid point, and that argument makes sense, here’s another way to look at it.

Let’s say over the course of 9 months, I buy 4 earphones (each one being whatever is the current hype train of the month). I think that’s pretty reasonable based on what many HeadFiers do.

For simplification sake, let’s say they were all the same price - $35 each from Aliexpress, and $59 each from Amazon.

In total, you would spend $140 at Aliexpress and $236 at Amazon. That is a price difference of $96.

Now let’s say 2 of the earphones from Aliexpress were bad, and the seller totally refused to give you a refund or replacement. You were left high and dry and ‘out’ the money you spent on those 2 earphones.

Well, at $96 price difference, you would have saved enough money to buy 2 more from Aliexpress (plus event had money left over).

With Amazon, you’re paying for the convenience, plain and simple (and Jeff Beeps’ alimony payments). 2 day shipping, English speaking customer service, easy returns, better tracking, etc.

Me, I always try to use Aliexpress or eBay (or wherever is cheapest). Because while my example was 4 earphones, I have way, way more than that. So that 4-earphone hypothetical price difference, would in reality be exponentially higher.

Maybe I’ve just been lucky, but out of all the gear I own, I can count on 1 hand how many I’ve had that were actually bad. In every case but 1, I got a refund or replacement from Aliexpress (the 1 case was understandable, because it died over a year later).

I can only imagine how much more I would have spent in total had I bought all of them from Amazon ‘just in case one went bad’.

Yeah, makes sense, convenience major part. I also should have added I'm extremely impatient tho and like you say Prime gets me same or next day delivery lol. I should have been clearer that i meant more expensive sets. E.g.the KXXS I could have got £30+ cheaper than the price I paid on Amazon. Other sets, for example, the KZ ZS10 Pro I paid say £15+ more because I just really wanted to hear them. I do buy a lot from Alie still, you have to as the choice is much much bigger. I try to time the longer wait to coincide with time off.

Dec 21, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #29,272 of 33,689
ok first impressions of the URBANFUN YBF-ISS 014 - the tonality is somewhat U shaped but dip only in the upper mids/lower treble area, the bass is boosted but i don't think it is more than the Blon, similar quantity (will compare them with more songs for the full review), the bass quality is better than the Blon, it is a very fast bass for DD earphone, similar to Semckarchy bass speed or faster (will compare them for the full review), the bass texture is better than both, it has high amount of details in the bass with no bloom, the midrange is a bit warm, it has dip in the upper mids, but mid and lower midrange is there so the overall tonality is a bit dark in the mids, very smooth and creamy however with clean and natural presentation just a tad calm than usual, they have good amount of mid treble but lower treble is dipped so the treble has kind of a fine and airy tonality and a bit lacking in bite when the cymbal hit, treble sounds like it is cleaner than the Blon but with different flavor tonality wise, the imaging is very precise, it is easy to hear the positions of the instruments, soundstage is wide but is not very deep like the guy from the video said
i have to listen and compare more, they are a bit more technical than the Blon but the timber is not the same
that is it for now, time for a beer
I find them to be much bassier than the blon. This is a legit basshead tuning... But the mids and the treble aren't weaknesses like in some sets. Aside from the form factor and build quality around the connection, they're a very well rounded set for bassheads at this price.

Overall, the blon sounds sort of distant, boomy and average to me. These are pretty fun. I have about 50 hours on them now. The bass is very well controlled with good, musical transient response. It's not as punchy and quick as I was expecting from beryllium, but more musical and smooth and therefore can "add" rumble to your music other sets can't. Basshead approved. Makes me want to get the DUNU Titan 6 and tfz no 3 to compare.

Dec 21, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #29,273 of 33,689
@baskingshark My question though is if they will send the hibiscus in its original packaging or if they just send the iems. I might buy both B and C

I asked a FAAEAL rep on AE, he of course refused to divulge what earbuds/IEMs will come in option B/C, but he says they will come with the full package (eartips, cables and earpiece).

Not a bad deal for the (open secret option C) Hibiscus, cause it was retailing at $50 USD just last month. But there were some folks here that reported QC issues with the shell of the Hibiscus, and I'm not really a fan of the FR. But I think those that prefer a neutralish tuning may like it as an affordable single DD sidegrade or maybe marginal upgrade to the BLON?

Yeah, I saw that other sellers have 2.5mm. I was just hoping to take advantage of this sale.

Why not ask the FAAEAL rep whether it's 3.5 mm or 2.5 mm? They are quite responsive.

I would have considered getting the Litz cable, looks quite affordable, but I have enough cables at home now to make a scrap metal yard owner proud.

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #29,274 of 33,689
Overall, the blon sounds sort of distant, boomy and average to me.
the Blon is a very strange case, some people love it and cant believe how it sounds for the price, other are like - meh, nothing special
crin reported unit variation, some of them cleaner, other with more upper bass that makes them a bit overly warm, my pair sound like it is linear in the upper bass lower mid area
i wonder if unit variation is the reason for such a contrast in the impressions

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #29,275 of 33,689
the Blon is a very strange case, some people love it and cant believe how it sounds for the price, other are like - meh, nothing special
crin reported unit variation, some of them cleaner, other with more upper bass that makes them a bit overly warm, my pair sound like it is linear in the upper bass lower mid area
i wonder if unit variation is the reason for such a contrast in the impressions
Honestly, I think it has more to do with fitment variation. Insertion depth and proper seal are key to an iem sounding good or right. How many people here can get a true fit (like with their other IEMs) with a medium tip or small tip? Answer is, probably not that many. Most people will have to size up a tip or use foams just to get them to stay in their ears....equals boomy bass. They are probably much better than people are getting a chance to experience.

Dec 21, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #29,277 of 33,689
Honestly, I think it has more to do with fitment variation. Insertion depth and proper seal are key to an iem sounding good or right. How many people here can get a true fit (like with their other IEMs) with a medium tip or small tip? Answer is, probably not that many. Most people will have to size up a tip or use foams just to get them to stay in their ears....equals boomy bass. They are probably much better than people are getting a chance to experience.
+1 on this... They are very tip/fitn sensitive.

Love mine but prefer the Cardinals.

Dec 21, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #29,278 of 33,689
The urbanfun isso14 is not quite identical, but a very similar form factor to the blon. I've got no issues with it. The blon fits me just fine, and I always use large tips, I actually have more fit issues with the **** pro. I'd just say it's a matter of individual taste, or at worst, unit variation is quite wide.

The blon isn't bad, I just don't think it's really special. BGGAR hyped it so much people think it's a giant killer. it's middle of the road even as a $30 IEM for me. Fact is, you get a lot for your money between $25-50 in the IEM world right now... If I had no basis of comparison, I'm sure I'd think the blon was amazing for $30. We're spoiled by what's available for cheap right now....

Dec 21, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #29,279 of 33,689
The urbanfun isso14 is not quite identical, but a very similar form factor to the blon. I've got no issues with it. The blon fits me just fine, and I always use large tips, I actually have more fit issues with the **** pro. I'd just say it's a matter of individual taste, or at worst, unit variation is quite wide.

The blon isn't bad, I just don't think it's really special. BGGAR hyped it so much people think it's a giant killer. it's middle of the road even as a $30 IEM for me. Fact is, you get a lot for your money between $25-50 in the IEM world right now... If I had no basis of comparison, I'm sure I'd think the blon was amazing for $30. We're spoiled by what's available for cheap right now....

Could not disagree more. I have two Blon 03s and they are both way above their price tag. As good as other way over £100.00 IEMs and Buds I have. Thankfully many here have good versions of the Blon 03s and know the truth. Sounds like you are unlucky and have a poor QC pair.

Dec 21, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #29,280 of 33,689

Deffo down to personal taste. I've let a LOAD of people hear my 03s and almost universally they were impressed. Its just what you care about as far as taste... Technicalities, speed, timbre, sound stage, etc.

My GF uses Universal Ears 18+s for work (and will be a featured artist in their NAMM booth in 2020) but she LOVES my Blons for fun listening. The 18s for work.

It's just... If you like that sort of thing, it's great value imo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back