Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 18, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #26,506 of 33,689
I see you buy alotnof low fi mid fi stuff why not get a totl instead of 10 iems you are not happy whit

Why not? I can spend 30 on an IEM and next week do it again. If I spend 300 on one it is ten weeks saving. If I'm not happy the risk is massive. Also, diminishing returns. No 300 IEM is 10 times as good as a good 30 one. Sure, when I find a promising end game I will have an expensive IEM. But for now it is all about the discovery. I have a 1500 hi fi setup and a couple of pairs of fair priced cans for the end game.

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #26,507 of 33,689
I see you buy alotnof low fi mid fi stuff why not get a totl instead of 10 iems you are not happy whit
Also, that's not how obsessive compulsive disorder works!

A lot of the fun is researching, ordering, inspection and comparison of different IEMs. That's what makes us hobbyists.

Do you realize how many times per day I open penon/linsoul/Ali?

I like having some TOTL great but it's really fun to consider some gear as disposable and not as a investment.

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #26,508 of 33,689
I got one few days ago. Couldn't get used to the form / fit somewhat and the cable. Besides that, the sound was nothing phenomenal, both my P1 and KXXS sounded better to my ears. Ended up selling these at less than 1/2 of the price. Someone else will enjoy them :)
What source did you use them with?

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #26,510 of 33,689
AK SR15 mostly, but tried them with iFi micro and Loxjie P20, not much improvement whatsoever..
Okay, it definitely wasn't your sources then, lol. I believe fitment is probably the biggest differential between people's impressions. I had 2 friends of mine audition them, and one absolutely loved them and immediately ordered a pair, and the other one hated them. I noticed my sending buddy couldn't get them to fit right as he has pretty small ear canals. For me, they're very detailed and great to listen to at low volumes and that's why I enjoy them so much I guess. Some gear makes me feel like I need to keep turning up the volume to enjoy them, while the DQ4 was the exact opposite for me.

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #26,511 of 33,689
Okay, it definitely wasn't your sources then, lol. I believe fitment is probably the biggest differential between people's impressions. I had 2 friends of mine audition them, and one absolutely loved them and immediately ordered a pair, and the other one hated them. I noticed my sending buddy couldn't get them to fit right as he has pretty small ear canals. For me, they're very detailed and great to listen to at low volumes and that's why I enjoy them so much I guess. Some gear makes me feel like I need to keep turning up the volume to enjoy them, while the DQ4 was the exact opposite for me.

Maybe because I don't listen at low volume at all... Maybe it's the fit, who knows. Oh, anyway :) Enjoy yours :wink:

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #26,512 of 33,689
Why not? I can spend 30 on an IEM and next week do it again. If I spend 300 on one it is ten weeks saving. If I'm not happy the risk is massive. Also, diminishing returns. No 300 IEM is 10 times as good as a good 30 one. Sure, when I find a promising end game I will have an expensive IEM. But for now it is all about the discovery. I have a 1500 hi fi setup and a couple of pairs of fair priced cans for the end game.

Also, that's not how obsessive compulsive disorder works!

A lot of the fun is researching, ordering, inspection and comparison of different IEMs. That's what makes us hobbyists.

Do you realize how many times per day I open penon/linsoul/Ali?

I like having some TOTL great but it's really fun to consider some gear as disposable and not as a investment.

I think we have different goals. For me its important that the music sound good. I know i like U and V shaped Iems and for me there is only one option for buying a new Iem. And that is for an Upgrade

Sep 18, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #26,513 of 33,689
IEMs aren't really my primary focus though. My main Hifi was bought in 2003 and has remained the same ever since (though I have chopped and changed my turntable a couple of times). It cost as much as all of my portable gear put together. Likewise I have my favourite cans and I am totally happy with them. IEMs that I listen to in bursts of maybe an hour at a time, it's nice to have the variety. Fwiw my absolute favourite IEM are one of the cheapest. Spending big bucks is no guarantee of great sound or even an upgrade.

Sep 18, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #26,515 of 33,689
Sep 18, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #26,516 of 33,689
I think we have different goals. For me its important that the music sound good. I know i like U and V shaped Iems and for me there is only one option for buying a new Iem. And that is for an Upgrade
I don't know if it's different goals so much as different philosophy. To this day the tfz e5 is still one of my favorite sounding sets. V shaped is my cup of tea as well.

Basically, as long as you're happy, do whatever. I'd generally rather listen to my RHA CL2, which cost about $800 when I bought them, and would probably rate them as a 9/10. I'd rate my $65 tfz e5 as an 8.3/10.

It's fun to have 10 "good" varieties of something for the same cost as one REALLY good one.

It's like members of the sex you're attracted to. Just because the one you have can be a 10/10 doesn't mean you can't appreciate a 7/10...

If I just generally didn't like the way headphones sounded, then I'd consider myself to have the wrong hobby.... I like or love most sets I hear.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #26,518 of 33,689
Yep. The BL03 is fantastic. But I could in hardship live with just the BL01. I couldn't live with just my Sennheiser IE60.

Sep 18, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #26,519 of 33,689
Guys I ordered the Audiosense T800 per your recommendation from AE. Wanted a high level of detail, similar to Andromeda. Can't wait for them to arrive, to listen to my first Chinese IEM. Thanks for all the recommendations again!

Sep 18, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #26,520 of 33,689
Guys I ordered the Audiosense T800 per your recommendation from AE. Wanted a high level of detail, similar to Andromeda. Can't wait for them to arrive, to listen to my first Chinese IEM. Thanks for all the recommendations again!
Have fun its a great set

Users who are viewing this thread

Back