Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Apr 28, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #23,221 of 33,689
Going for another "budget" release, this time from Alpha & Delta KS3, their new single dynamic micro-driver IEM. Had a chance to test and to review it. Pretty impressive for under $99.

In Your opinion - these or IT01 ?

Apr 28, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #23,222 of 33,689
https://crinacle.com/2019/04/16/alpha-delta-ks3-unboxing/
KS3-768x379.jpg

Apr 28, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #23,226 of 33,689

My opinion based on my personal sound preference? I mean, IT01s is different from IT01, with "s" being more neutral which sometimes I prefer more, and it sounds different from KS3. I do like KS3 low end extension and impact, but it does lack some sparkle in treble, making its tonality more natural, more relaxed. Also, at this level, it's not only the variation/preference in sound, but also the fit comfort, and KS3 is truly like a universal-custom shaped IEM. I'm not gonna use either of these for a critical listening, they more on-the-go or when I'm using laptop/phone, and I put the value of the fit comfort over the tonality in this case, thus KS3 has an upper hand. But still, would be interesting to see KS3 hybrid variation with treble BA, just to lift/extend upper end.

Apr 28, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #23,227 of 33,689
I`ve seen that graph. Was asking his subjective/objective opinion.
That 2.3kHz peak might look scary at graph but sure it doesn`t sound SO awful. By graphs TFZ Series4 seems better to my eyes/ears... but personally I would choose something else anyway instead those two. IT01 has better placed highs-rise-point but "peaks" at highs are another story.
My opinion based on my personal sound preference? I mean, IT01s is different from IT01, with "s" being more neutral which sometimes I prefer more, and it sounds different from KS3. I do like KS3 low end extension and impact, but it does lack some sparkle in treble, making its tonality more natural, more relaxed. Also, at this level, it's not only the variation/preference in sound, but also the fit comfort, and KS3 is truly like a universal-custom shaped IEM. I'm not gonna use either of these for a critical listening, they more on-the-go or when I'm using laptop/phone, and I put the value of the fit comfort over the tonality in this case, thus KS3 has an upper hand. But still, would be interesting to see KS3 hybrid variation with treble BA, just to lift/extend upper end.
Was specially asking about IT01 (non-S) vs. KS3.

Apr 28, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #23,228 of 33,689
I find them quite pleasant and very comfortable too.

Should I post my FR measurement too? :wink: This way we will have yet another FR data point to confuse more people :D Not saying it in a negative way, man. If anything, i'm being self-critical. Unfortunately, we all have now access to budget FR capture rigs with their own limitations and variations, and we all use our own different custom compensation curves to shape up the FR to make it look closer to what we hear. And then I look at all these measurements from different people, including myself, and see a common pattern that frequencies of the peaks and valleys kind of match, but the amplitude (which is relying on calibration) is all over the place lol!

Personally, I always recommend to run a sine-sweep to confirm the frequency bumps, but that's of no use to potential customers who don't have access to IEM and instead getting confused looking at all these graphs, trying to decide if that 6k peak is as high and sibilant or 12k peak going to be fatigue or tolerable or bass is really that elevated/exaggerated or more linear... Don't have the answer to this, and it was probably beaten to death in discussions before, but I feel like sharing my own personal measurements only will add to more confusion :frowning2: And I advice others who are making their decision based on FR alone, to take it with a grain of salt. Sorry, to turn this into a mini rant...

Apr 28, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #23,229 of 33,689
Was specially asking about IT01 (non-S) vs. KS3.

IT01 will be more fun sounding, KS3 will be more laid back, relaxing. All, just a personal preference.

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #23,230 of 33,689
Should I post my FR measurement too? :wink: This way we will have yet another FR data point to confuse more people :D Not saying it in a negative way, man. If anything, i'm being self-critical. Unfortunately, we all have now access to budget FR capture rigs with their own limitations and variations, and we all use our own different custom compensation curves to shape up the FR to make it look closer to what we hear. And then I look at all these measurements from different people, including myself, and see a common pattern that frequencies of the peaks and valleys kind of match, but the amplitude (which is relying on calibration) is all over the place lol!

Personally, I always recommend to run a sine-sweep to confirm the frequency bumps, but that's of no use to potential customers who don't have access to IEM and instead getting confused looking at all these graphs, trying to decide if that 6k peak is as high and sibilant or 12k peak going to be fatigue or tolerable or bass is really that elevated/exaggerated or more linear... Don't have the answer to this, and it was probably beaten to death in discussions before, but I feel like sharing my own personal measurements only will add to more confusion :frowning2: And I advice others who are making their decision based on FR alone, to take it with a grain of salt. Sorry, to turn this into a mini rant...
I added my measurements because the previous graph just didn't look right (IMO) and I didn't want people to be discouraged by it. It's ironic that I did it to highlight the fact that any single FR alone can't determine whether an IEM is good or not (perhaps I should have made that more clear). People will get confused regardless of what we post. Heck, one could even say that discussing the validity or the merits of measurements in the thread might confuse people even more. :wink:

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #23,231 of 33,689
I added my measurements because the previous graph just didn't look right (IMO) and I didn't want people to be discouraged by it. It's ironic that I did it to highlight the fact that any single FR alone can't determine whether an IEM is good or not (perhaps I should have made that more clear). People will get confused regardless of what we post. Heck, one could even say that discussing the validity or the merits of measurements in the thread might confuse people even more. :wink:

It does not confuse me... because I don't care... lol. I just listen to how people describe and compare things.

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #23,232 of 33,689
It does not confuse me... because I don't care... lol. I just listen to how people describe and compare things.

What you have to do is to "calibrate" between reviews you read and what you actually hear when you receive that product :wink:

The truth is that you can have FR measurements captured using $200k calibrated top of the line system with a real head modeling. But it still might not be what you actually going to hear because we all have different earcanal shape, which is like a filter dampens the sound as it travels through, and what your eardrum hears will be different from what your eyes see in the graph... Again, i'm apologizing for getting off topic :D

Apr 28, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #23,233 of 33,689
I find them quite pleasant and very comfortable too.

There is a whole treble peaks barrage... :). Is the treble grainy - hissy cymbals?

Well, FR graphs give you quantity of sound and not quality. Basing a purchasing decision entirely on one (and not the other) means there are 50 cents missing to the dollar in each case.

And while FR graphs don't tell you whether an earphone/headphone sounds good, they sometimes indicate that it may sound bad.

As to comparing graphs: you'll never get identical graphs even from equivalent rigs as coupler, insertion depth, or settings my differ (and there are production tolerances in the earphones). And if people pride themselves with their fancy compensations (most of us cannot evaluate), they should also always give the raw data, too (otherwise one compares apples and oranges).

There is nothing wrong with raw data. Even if they differ in details between rigs, they always give you the overall idea.

My neighbour and I use the same rig, coupler, and preferences. And we can reproduce each other's results.

ZbomdKR.jpg

Here one earphone measured by two different people - close enough for me to get the message [the other guy uses the Veritas coupler and all his sub-basses roll off mysteriously]:
BbfbFLD.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #23,234 of 33,689
20190428_162052.jpg

Having a good time with the severaly underrated at 120$, Tenhz P4 pro. : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back