Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Dec 21, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #20,836 of 33,689
I agree that MMCX can be rubbish. However, I have seen some very good implementations of it as well. The best I've seen so far is the one that Accutone uses on their IEMs - sadly they're proprietary and are not compatible with anything else. As far as standard MMXC goes, the Whizzer IEMs seem to consistently have good ones - I have the A15, A15 Pro and A-HE03 and they're all quite good, easy to connect and disconnect but still feel secure.

I feel it's really time to update the standard MMCX (like Micro-USB to USB-C for example) or just adopt 2-pin industry-wide. The downside with 2-pin though is that they don't rotate which is why some people still prefer MMCX.
A disadvantage I see with 2 pin cables is they become loose over time and start falling out. I actually don't like that mmcx rotates it causes them to tangle easier imho.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #20,838 of 33,689
A disadvantage I see with 2 pin cables is they become loose over time and start falling out. I actually don't like that mmcx rotates it causes them to tangle easier imho.

I had both mmcx and 2 pin fail on me. Mmcx would get loose over time and the music would cut out. 2 pin seems so fragile and sometimes one can connect it wrongly having the left and right changesc out of phase. Some even had the pins broken off still in the it. I think the old Sony connectors found on the ex1000 and 7550\ex800 are the most full proof and robust connectors I've seen on iems.

Dec 21, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #20,839 of 33,689
I had both mmcx and 2 pin fail on me. Mmcx would get loose over time and the music would cut out. 2 pin seems so fragile and sometimes one can connect it wrongly having the left and right changesc out of phase. Some even had the pins broken off still in the it. I think the old Sony connectors found on the ex1000 and 7550\ex800 are the most full proof and robust connectors I've seen on iems.

The ones that look like a thin DC connector are really good.

They look similar to a mmcx, but are much thicker and are rock solid. Yet they rotate like a mmcx. They are just held in by friction (like DC “barrel” power plugs). They don’t snap in like mmcx.

They aren’t used on too many IEMs that I’ve seen though.

I have some generic barrel/piston shaped IEMs with them, as well as the QKZ W1 Pro and iRock A8.

They look like this:

25BF2071-F607-4A21-B1CD-13FA229CD8B0.jpeg 8AFB3ADE-5B39-4FBD-9731-1B2784C64B8B.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #20,840 of 33,689

They look similar to a mmcx, but are much thicker and are rock solid. Yet they rotate like a mmcx.

They aren’t used too much though. I have some generic piston IEMs with them, the QKZ W1 Pro, and iRock A8.

Like this:

Excellent connector however not compatible with much.

Dec 21, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #20,841 of 33,689

They look similar to a mmcx, but are much thicker and are rock solid. Yet they rotate like a mmcx. They are just held in by friction (like DC “barrel” power plugs). They don’t snap in like mmcx.

I have some generic barrel/piston shaped IEMs with them, as well as the QKZ W1 Pro and iRock A8.

They look like this:

I think I’d like that better than MMCX.

Dec 22, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #20,843 of 33,689

They look like this:

I'm surprised more companies aren't implementing this type of plug, since it's been around for a while now. :thinking:

Dec 22, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #20,844 of 33,689
I agree that MMCX can be rubbish. However, I have seen some very good implementations of it as well. The best I've seen so far is the one that Accutone uses on their IEMs - sadly they're proprietary and are not compatible with anything else. As far as standard MMXC goes, the Whizzer IEMs seem to consistently have good ones - I have the A15, A15 Pro and A-HE03 and they're all quite good, easy to connect and disconnect but still feel secure.

I feel it's really time to update the standard MMCX (like Micro-USB to USB-C for example) or just adopt 2-pin industry-wide. The downside with 2-pin though is that they don't rotate which is why some people still prefer MMCX.

As some others have reported I'm having connection issues with one side on the A15 Pro, funny thing is the cable works perfectly with any other iem I've tried it on and the affected earpiece likewise with any other cable. My A-HE03 has two pins connectors, not MMCX.

I find MMCX aesthetically more pleasing and the A15 Pro is the only that I ever had an issue with.

Dec 22, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #20,845 of 33,689
As some others have reported I'm having connection issues with one side on the A15 Pro, funny thing is the cable works perfectly with any other iem I've tried it on and the affected earpiece likewise with any other cable. My A-HE03 has two pins connectors, not MMCX.

I find MMCX aesthetically more pleasing and the A15 Pro is the only that I ever had an issue with.
Yes, now that you mention it the Kylin is a 2-pin. Since I find the stock cable decent I haven't switched it.

I've only had 2 iems fail on me because of mmcx : one was the TFZ Balance 2M and that time it was probably my own fault The other was one I can't name but I paid around $150 for it - the connector pulled straight out from the housing.

Then there's the dodgy left side on the T2 but it seems that was common for the earlier batches.

Dec 22, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #20,846 of 33,689
Hello,
You can do two variants of the Bass Mod. Both are very easy:
1. Cover the front vent hole with the tape. It's not a beautiful work in my case, but I get a huge amount of very detailed (sub)bass, better isolation, smoother treble and other smaller differences.
But Watch out for very high volume. It can cause a driver flex or a leakage.
10214457_thumb.jpg

2. Make small hole to the tape with a thin needle, if the bass is too much for you or if you're afraid of a diaphragm.

I'm used to these classic eartips:
10214458_thumb.jpg

Surprisingly I can't hear any sibilences or a loss of air due to the first mod. Only a blacker background and a less forward treble, which does not have to be a bad thing.
Still, I would characterise EzAudio D4 as a colder monitors with an abnormal detail retrieval through their frequency curve.
Thanks for this, did the same mod and it's sounding really good to me:metal:

Dec 22, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #20,847 of 33,689

Meeaudio M6 pro uses that style iirc.

Dec 22, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #20,848 of 33,689
received_1246604508830174.jpeg

Hey buddy , Whizzer a15pro has newer version with different MMCX connectors ( much tighter and dont rotate at all )and half of weight ! ( shell is prob from aluminium ) It has insane affect on already comfortable a15pro v1 .. with v2 I forget i have em in ears after while .

Btw i bought mine in official whizzer shop at Aliexpress and had issues with MMCX v1 aswell after while , so i got replacement from em . They are trully awsome company that learn fast and has impressive customers service !

Version 2 has Gold W logo on em .. Soundwise - totally same .

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #20,849 of 33,689

My Accutone Pisces BA suffer from loose connection on one side :wink:

MMCX suck IMHO, I've never had a 2-pin cable or IEM let me down....

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #20,850 of 33,689
My Accutone Pisces BA suffer from loose connection on one side :wink:

MMCX suck IMHO, I've never had a 2-pin cable or IEM let me down....
I'm starting to wish I never joined this conversation :ok_woman: Well, at least a few of us agree that MMCX is poopy.:poop:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back