Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 19, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #18,271 of 33,689
It starts Monday there has not been a holiday for the last couple weeks. Hotfi is just unresponsive.

I canceled because he started responding last week but doesn't shipped and went unresponsive again.

You might be better off buying from the official store and asking for a price match during the 11.11 sale unfortunately. I'm just going to go ahead and order something else.

Got any recommendations for a lively set of iems?
I stopped dealing with HotFi for the same reason. At first, they were responsive to communication and had very fast shipping and then they suddenly went "dark".

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #18,273 of 33,689
Yes MiniDSP EARS. The graph is uncompensated; so it's raw data. I got a spreadsheet of the Harman Target curve from a redditor that works for an audio headphone company and converted it into a text file that Room EQ Wizard can read. I am using the EQ function to show the "house curve" vs the measured curve.

I see, thanks. From what I see, my guess is that the Redditor you got the values from didn't actually compensate the Harman target to match EARS, but thanks for letting me know. I would recommend that you compensate your raw data to diffuse field compensation, and then transform that data back to raw IEC 60318-4 compliant data, before fitting the Harman target onto your graphs. It's convoluted, but the DF compensation data is from miniDSP, and my guess is that they actually proved the EARS within an anechoic chamber with multidirectional point sources to get the DF compensation.

From your measurements, I see the 4.5 kHz high-Q resonance of the EARS seems to still be apparent. The 9.5 kHz mini-peak is probably also an artifact, so keep that in mind.

Which damper are you talking about?

This one: before and after. The damper is fixed by a simple adhesive, so if you use a needle-nose tweezer to remove it, you can put it back on without too much issue. Personally, I feel the DMG improve with the damper removed. There's just a tiny bit (seriously the tiniest bit) more sibilance, but treble has better balance, upper mids have better presence, and while some cymbals and hi-hats seem strangely prominent, most tracks don't exhibit this issue.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #18,274 of 33,689
I stopped dealing with HotFi for the same reason. At first, they were responsive to communication and had very fast shipping and then they suddenly went "dark".
That's exactly what's happened to me. I've dealt with them for months and then all of a sudden they went dark. They finally resonded last week and said they couldn't ship because of their holidays, but they would be soon. Now they've went dark again. Have you ever had to deal with aliexpress, and if so, how should I proceed with getting my money back?

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #18,275 of 33,689
I see, thanks. From what I see, my guess is that the Redditor you got the values from didn't actually compensate the Harman target to match EARS, but thanks for letting me know. I would recommend that you compensate your raw data to diffuse field compensation, and then transform that data back to raw IEC 60318-4 compliant data, before fitting the Harman target onto your graphs. It's convoluted, but the DF compensation data is from miniDSP, and my guess is that they actually proved the EARS within an anechoic chamber with multidirectional point sources to get the DF compensation.

From your measurements, I see the 4.5 kHz high-Q resonance of the EARS seems to still be apparent. The 9.5 kHz mini-peak is probably also an artifact, so keep that in mind.

This one: before and after. The damper is fixed by a simple adhesive, so if you use a needle-nose tweezer to remove it, you can put it back on without too much issue. Personally, I feel the DMG improve with the damper removed. There's just a tiny bit (seriously the tiniest bit) more sibilance, but treble has better balance, upper mids have better presence, and while some cymbals and hi-hats seem strangely prominent, most tracks don't exhibit this issue.

The curve I show is total raw data. The blue colored line is just what the Harman Target is superimposed into the photo via the EQ function. The raw data hasnt changed. I hope that makes sense.

My compensation curve that MiniDSP gives me is not shown in any of the graphs I posted today. That curve is based off of IDF - which I believe they derived from Etymotics ER4, according to their manual.

I will take a look at the little damper/mod after I give more listen to the DMG. I just got it this weekend and havent had much time to listen to it since I've been focusing on the T2 Pro.

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #18,276 of 33,689
That's exactly what's happened to me. I've dealt with them for months and then all of a sudden they went dark. They finally resonded last week and said they couldn't ship because of their holidays, but they would be soon. Now they've went dark again. Have you ever had to deal with aliexpress, and if so, how should I proceed with getting my money back?
Fortunately, I've never had to resort to a dispute so I can't help you with that, sorry. I'm guessing your best bet would be the "Open Dispute" link on the order page.

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #18,277 of 33,689
The curve I show is total raw data. The blue colored line is just what the Harman Target is superimposed into the photo via the EQ function. The raw data hasnt changed. I hope that makes sense.

My compensation curve that MiniDSP gives me is not shown in any of the graphs I posted today. That curve is based off of IDF - which I believe they derived from Etymotics ER4, according to their manual.

I will take a look at the little damper/mod after I give more listen to the DMG. I just got it this weekend and havent had much time to listen to it since I've been focusing on the T2 Pro.

Sorry, I know what you mean but my point is, EARS does not have the same pinna/concha/canal resonance compensation as that of a 711 coupler (the picture reflects the resonances of the older GRAS RA0045, rather than the new RA0402 that Jude uses) as raw data from EARS will not be directly comparable. Unless the Harman curve that was given to you was specifically transformed from raw 711 data into EARS raw data, the Harman curve that you overlayed is not really going to be all that applicable. I don't know whether the Redditor you got the values from actually did such a thing. From what I see, the values on your Harman overlay are based on 711 raw data, not EARS raw data.

Thanks. Please by all means take your time with it. Even if you don't get around to doing the damper mod, I'm cool with it, but I do want to let people know that the damper mod gives the DMG a bit better balance because the added treble balances out the mid-bass emphasis.

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #18,278 of 33,689
Fortunately, I've never had to resort to a dispute so I can't help you with that, sorry. I'm guessing your best bet would be the "Open Dispute" link on the order page.
Okay, thanks @crabdog. I cancelled days ago and it says it's waiting for the seller to approve the cancellation, lol. I've never needed to open a dispute either, but unfortunately it seems like this is the time.

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #18,280 of 33,689
I'm going through the same thing with them, with the Toneking T88k and a pure silver cable. I'm not happy having 500.00 in limbo, when they won't even honar a cancellation so I can potentially buy from another store. How long is this Chinese holiday they've said about being the reason for the slow processing time???
The storm that hit south east China could have a role to play in this ... Also the guy at Hotfi store said there was a problem at the factory and warehouse. IDK if thats the actual case though.

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #18,281 of 33,689
Though I wrote to the QCY company about selling the QCY QM05 on aliexpress, I just found out that the QCY QM05 is being sold on Amazon.com by a third party in the color RED.

Link...
https://www.amazon.com/MAUBHYA-Earp...pID=41wjaJjxrhL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Here are some PIC's in RED...
41wjaJjxrhL.jpg
41e6eIPF0EL.jpg
311zNfqdA4L.jpg

Enjoy!
-Clear

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #18,282 of 33,689

If you didn't hit the extend processing time button they should auto-cancel.

The storm that hit south east China could have a role to play in this ... Also the guy at Hotfi store said there was a problem at the factory and warehouse. IDK if thats the actual case though.

Oh right... I think that's probably a big reason why.

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #18,283 of 33,689
I hope everything is okay, and everyone is safe and unharmed. I just wish for honesty and consistent responses to people, if that's true. I do know that I have been very happy with their service and store for months and it's just been recently that things have gotten strange.

Sep 20, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #18,285 of 33,689
Sorry, I know what you mean but my point is, EARS does not have the same pinna/concha/canal resonance compensation as that of a 711 coupler (the picture reflects the resonances of the older GRAS RA0045, rather than the new RA0402 that Jude uses) as raw data from EARS will not be directly comparable. Unless the Harman curve that was given to you was specifically transformed from raw 711 data into EARS raw data, the Harman curve that you overlayed is not really going to be all that applicable. I don't know whether the Redditor you got the values from actually did such a thing. From what I see, the values on your Harman overlay are based on 711 raw data, not EARS raw data.

Thanks. Please by all means take your time with it. Even if you don't get around to doing the damper mod, I'm cool with it, but I do want to let people know that the damper mod gives the DMG a bit better balance because the added treble balances out the mid-bass emphasis.

Ah yes, no his data is based on the Harman test document which uses GRAS. He also has access to the same test unit.

That's why I always (typically) mention to take my minidsp data with a grain of salt :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back