Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 19, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #18,256 of 33,689
Ironman has arrived.

P1020251.JPG

Sep 19, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #18,257 of 33,689
Hifi boy OS v3

Yeah, sorry for the confusion. I typed the model wrong. One of the disadvantages of using a phone soft keyboard with keys as big as a grain of rice LOL

Sep 19, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #18,258 of 33,689
get the Ibasso IT04 for $499 and then decide if its higher or not. Diminishing return in audio is a moot point, either you want something better and willing to pay for it or just the most bang for your buck. Its the buyer's call.

I wish I could but right now my max is about $150 and I'm not sure whether I should drop that much or go with something around half the price like the KZ AZ10s...

The list I'm considering right now after trawling this thread is:
- Toneking T4
- SD7+ / SD7 Hybrid
- BGVP DMG
- Hisenior B5+
- Toneking TK12s
- MaGaosi MGS-401

Looking for something that's good for EDM, orchestrals, vocals, and piano music so basically all around with great isolation. It'd be nice to get some bass in my IEMS but I have the V-Moda LP2s which are super bass heavy so not a really great point of comparison.

Any thoughts/suggestions on which one I should pick?

Sep 19, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #18,259 of 33,689
I wish I could but right now my max is about $150 and I'm not sure whether I should drop that much or go with something around half the price like the KZ AZ10s...

The list I'm considering right now after trawling this thread is:
- Toneking T4
- SD7+ / SD7 Hybrid
- BGVP DMG
- Hisenior B5+
- Toneking TK12s
- MaGaosi MGS-401

Looking for something that's good for EDM, orchestrals, vocals, and piano music so basically all around with great isolation. It'd be nice to get some bass in my IEMS but I have the V-Moda LP2s which are super bass heavy so not a really great point of comparison.

Any thoughts/suggestions on which one I should pick?

If you’re looking for bass and EDM, not sure the DMG belongs on the list. You may want to replace it on your list with the Hifiboy OSV3 instead.

Sep 19, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #18,261 of 33,689
Hifi boy OS v3
Ohh that makes sense. It's between this and the dmgs for my next iem. From what I can understand through various reviews of each is that the osv3 has much better bass performance especially in subbass where it digs a lot deeper but what I'm after is an in-depth comparison of the mids as the one with the more intelligellible, lusher and forward vocals will be my pick. I'm gonna wait for crabdogs Impressions of both when he recieves them before I make a move.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #18,262 of 33,689
So the ONE visible (not audible) distinguishing difference between the T2 and T2 Pro is the inner barrel color. The Pro version is a lighter shade of Gun Metal. You may notice it in the photo I attached here. It's very subtle, and I didnt notice it until now. :)

P1020229.JPG

Also I used a needle to poke a hole through electrical tape and remeasured. No difference in the mod FR graph.

Here's the full electrical tape vent mod on both. Basically the same response.

T2 Pro vs T2 Vent Mod.jpg

T2 Pro Vent vs Harman IEM Target.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #18,263 of 33,689
And related note:
Here's my measurements for BGVP DMG filters

BGVP DMG - Filter FR.jpg

I have the blue model, so Blue is the standard stock filter. Yellow is gold and Gray is silver filters.

BGVP DMG (balanced filter) vs Harman Target.jpg

Normal filter vs Harman IEM Target Curve

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #18,264 of 33,689
So the ONE distinguishing difference between the T2 and T2 Pro is the inner barrel color. The Pro version is a lighter shade of Gun Metal. You may notice it in the photo I attached here. It's very subtle, and I didnt notice it until now. :)

Also I used a needle to poke a hole through electrical tape and remeasured. No difference in the mod FR graph.

thanks for the comparison review. i really love the T2 sound and use it as my daily iem and for riding, as it blocks wind noise without blocking other important outside sound that i need to hear. also with the T2 i can listen to music with really low volume and still can pick up all the details.

with the eartips mod my T2 treble is rrally controlled and not splashy anymore, so i might not need to get the T2 pro right now, but I'm sure will get it if my T2 dies

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #18,265 of 33,689
And related note:

I have the blue model, so Blue is the standard stock filter. Yellow is gold and Gray is silver filters.

These were done with the miniDSP EARS, I presume, with an IEC 60318-4 adjustment EQ or no (otherwise how did you figure out how to get the Harman target curve for EARS)? Not trying to question your methodology, just trying to get a better picture of EARS' consistency and test validity; I'm still hunting for a cost effective 711 coupler, but EARS is enticing as a simple and affordable package.

If you're willing, would you mind doing measurements of the DMG with the damper on the inside housings removed?

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #18,266 of 33,689
These were done with the miniDSP EARS, I presume, with an IEC 60318-4 adjustment EQ or no (otherwise how did you figure out how to get the Harman target curve for EARS)? Not trying to question your methodology, just trying to get a better picture of EARS' consistency and test validity; I'm still hunting for a cost effective 711 coupler, but EARS is enticing as a simple and affordable package.

If you're willing, would you mind doing measurements of the DMG with the damper on the inside housings removed?

Yes MiniDSP EARS. The graph is uncompensated; so it's raw data. I got a spreadsheet of the Harman Target curve from a redditor that works for an audio headphone company and converted it into a text file that Room EQ Wizard can read. I am using the EQ function to show the "house curve" vs the measured curve.

I started off with my own DIY rig that I made using memory foam, a box, a CD-Rom disc, felt and a Audessy measuring mic. The MiniDSP unit was definitely the most cost-effective one for home users that I could find that has decent support. They provide custom calibration data and target responses for each device they sell. I dont necessarily agree with the target curves but I have modified them to my own liking.

Which damper are you talking about?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #18,267 of 33,689
Subjective question: do you believe that at the $100 mark, ChiFi has hit the point of diminishing returns, or at what price do you guys believe they hit the point of diminishing returns.

Also as an update: I'm quite done with the HotFi store right now - the dude responds but hasn't shipped out my order even after 4 weeks of waiting..
I'm going through the same thing with them, with the Toneking T88k and a pure silver cable. I'm not happy having 500.00 in limbo, when they won't even honar a cancellation so I can potentially buy from another store. How long is this Chinese holiday they've said about being the reason for the slow processing time???

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #18,268 of 33,689
I'm going through the same thing with them, with the Toneking T88k and a pure silver cable. I'm not happy having 500.00 in limbo, when they won't even honar a cancellation so I can potentially buy from another store. How long is this Chinese holiday they've said about being the reason for the slow processing time???

It starts Monday there has not been a holiday for the last couple weeks. Hotfi is just unresponsive.

I canceled because he started responding last week but doesn't shipped and went unresponsive again.

You might be better off buying from the official store and asking for a price match during the 11.11 sale unfortunately. I'm just going to go ahead and order something else.

Got any recommendations for a lively set of iems?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #18,269 of 33,689
So the ONE visible (not audible) distinguishing difference between the T2 and T2 Pro is the inner barrel color. The Pro version is a lighter shade of Gun Metal. You may notice it in the photo I attached here. It's very subtle, and I didnt notice it until now. :)

And related note:

and what about trying the tapping inner vent mod on DMG? :wink: i'd wish to see louder sub-bass compared to mid-bass..

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #18,270 of 33,689
Sorry for referring to a very old post but I could not find anything else about Toneking TS5. I have received them recently and I am really impressed! I tend to use Beyerdynamic Xelento as a reference and here I have to say I actually like TS5 better and it costs 10% of the Xelento! I would describe them as very natural sounding, precise and crisp. Xelentos now sound slightly muddy and even more bass focused compared to TS5. Would love to test even more similar hidden gems. KZ is nowhere near these.
Thank you for your impressions! Toneking has impressed me with each of their releases. The Toneking T66s and their T66s, as well as their nine tail are the best of my large iem collection. Mr Z knows how to tune an iem!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back