CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jul 4, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #30,226 of 31,833
Can someone recommend me some cable down (not over ear!) cheap IEM (<20USD) which would have same sound (signature?) as Xiaomi Piston 3? It doesn't need to be better, I would rather prefer same sound. I really liked them until they got broken, then bought KZ ZSN and was disapointed, they had too sharp/bright sound for me plus hated cable over air, I can't stand sibilance as well.

edit: added note I really can't stand over ear cable

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #30,227 of 31,833
Can someone recommend me some cheap IEM (<20USD) which would have same sound (signature?) as Xiaomi Piston 3? It doesn't need to be better, I would rather prefer same. I really liked them until they got broken, then bought KZ ZSN and was disapointed, they had too sharp/bright sound for me plus hated cable over air, I can't stand sibilance as well. Currently using AKG K72 at computer, but wanna something if I go outside, so eventually if nothing with same sound like Piston 3, maybe some IEM with same sound like AKG K72, thank you.
I see you're looking for a dark one. Are you a basshead? If you like piston 3 probably you are.

Speaking of xiaomi maybe you should consider xiaomi hybrid - 1dd 1 ba. It's hard to find nowadays. Don't mix it with the hybrid pro version which is known with 2dd 1ba. Normal hybrid version is not bright and has really good rumbling bass.

As an alternative, you can think of nicehck db3. A bit dry sounding but definitely a good alternative.

Recently, I'm not trying any kz release but I'm hearing about cca nra, kz zex.

You can also think of kz eda which has three different iems in one package and go with the one you like.

Jul 4, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #30,228 of 31,833
Looking for a new toy and I can't keep up. What's the current super budget flavour of the month? Still the CCA CRA? Anything out lately that can best the BL-03?
I am a big fan of the bl03, and wanted a direct upgrade that I could travel with (meaning not much more expensive). The Tripowin Mele has been amazing. Nearly the same sound signature with much less bloomy/bloomy bass. Perhaps a touch less overall, mids are definitely slightly more recessed, and the highs a bit lower.

It's like the slightly more polite but much clearer sounding younger brother with far better fit. Bought em for forty USD.

Jul 4, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #30,229 of 31,833
Can someone recommend me some cheap IEM (<20USD) which would have same sound (signature?) as Xiaomi Piston 3? It doesn't need to be better, I would rather prefer same. I really liked them until they got broken, then bought KZ ZSN and was disapointed, they had too sharp/bright sound for me plus hated cable over air, I can't stand sibilance as well. Currently using AKG K72 at computer, but wanna something if I go outside, so eventually if nothing with same sound like Piston 3, maybe some IEM with same sound like AKG K72, thank you.
TinHifi T1s is worth a look if you want a warm relaxed IEM with a bit of extra bass. KZ ESX is similar but larger shell and deeper insertion so not as comfortable. KZ EDX Ultra is good if you want a more transparent sound with better treble (well controlled and not harsh). CVJ CSA is excellent if you want a more neutral sound signature with less bass emphasis. KZ EDA has been very well received, but I haven't personally heard it. :L3000:

Jul 4, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #30,230 of 31,833

I had the Piston 3's and the Piston pro HD i think they were called. Can't remember the signature of either really but i remember liking the Pro HD's more than the 3's. My 3's aren't available to me right now but i did ask for a similar recommendation when the Pro Hd's died a while back and at the time i was directed to the TRN V90 and CCA C10 neither of which will suit you as you don't like over the ear cables. I'd highly recommend the V90 if you want slamming bass though, holy crap i still remember how hard they hit two years after having heard them last. If you would consider over ear than you have loads to choose from with a bit of research to find a sig you like but as has been said seemly everyone liked the CCA CRA.

Anyway.... for a cable down bass oriented cheap buds that don't suck it's got to be the Sony mh750. But you will need to be diligent to find a real set.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...ad-mh750-mh755-mh1c-ex300-etc.900005/page-161

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #30,231 of 31,833
I had the Piston 3's and the Piston pro HD i think they were called. Can't remember the signature of either really but i remember liking the Pro HDs more than the 3s. My 3s aren't available to me right now but i did ask for a similar recommendation when the Pro Hd's died a while back and at the time i was directed to the TRN V90 and CCA C10 neither of which will suit you as you don't like over the ear cables. I'd highly recommend the V90 if you want slamming bass though, holy crap i still remember how hard they hit two years after having heard them last. If you would consider over ear than you have loads to choose from with a bit of research to find a sig you like but as has been said seemly everyone liked the CCA CRA.

Anyway.... for a cable down bass oriented cheap buds that don't suck it's got to be the Sony mh750. But you will need to be diligent to find a real set.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...ad-mh750-mh755-mh1c-ex300-etc.900005/page-161
CCA C10 goes on sale for about $13 pretty regularly too, Like a slightly warmer KZ ZS10 pro for less than half the money.

Keep an eye on it here if you're interested :L3000:

Fiio JD3 would be another option if you want cable down, it's back up to around $20 now but was half that in AE sales. One of the ones that got deleted out of my cart, when my wallet started whimpering. It's been out long enough that there are plenty of reviews.

Jul 4, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #30,233 of 31,833
Missed that sale on Variations last week. Think I’m finally going to pick one up on the next sale. Any recommendations on where to purchase? Amazon and purchase extended warranty?

Jul 5, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #30,234 of 31,833
I had the Piston 3's and the Piston pro HD i think they were called. Can't remember the signature of either really but i remember liking the Pro HD's more than the 3's. My 3's aren't available to me right now but i did ask for a similar recommendation when the Pro Hd's died a while back and at the time i was directed to the TRN V90 and CCA C10 neither of which will suit you as you don't like over the ear cables. I'd highly recommend the V90 if you want slamming bass though, holy crap i still remember how hard they hit two years after having heard them last. If you would consider over ear than you have loads to choose from with a bit of research to find a sig you like but as has been said seemly everyone liked the CCA CRA.

I don't really need strong bass, don't remember bass being extra strong at Piston 3 compared to many years ago at Koss The Plug which has memorable strong bass, prefer clear balanced sound, but without too strong trebles/highs and with no sibilance at all, but not muddy like cheap earbuds.

I can buy Sony MH-750 in brick & mortar shops here for <6EUR, but I don't think the sound will be anywhere close to Piston 3 for such low price especially from pricey Sony.

How about Sony MH-750 (6EUR incl. same day shipping from local shop) vs TANCHJIM TANYA (20EUR incl. shipping, ebay) vs Moondrop Quarks (12EUR incl. shipping, ebay), which of these would be closest to Piston 3 in sound, not high/sharp trebles, no sibilance, but no muddy overall, I don't really care about bass.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #30,235 of 31,833
I don't really need strong bass, don't remember bass being extra strong at Piston 3 compared to many years ago at Koss The Plug which has memorable strong bass, prefer clear balanced sound, but without too strong trebles/highs and with no sibilance at all, but not muddy like cheap earbuds.

I can buy Sony MH-750 in brick & mortar shops here for <6EUR, but I don't think the sound will be anywhere close to Piston 3 for such low price especially from pricey Sony.

How about Sony MH-750 (8EUR incl. shipping, local shops) vs TANCHJIM TANYA (20EUR incl. shipping, ebay) vs Moondrop Quarks (12EUR incl. shipping, ebay), which of these would be closest to Piston 3 in sound, not high/sharp trebles, no sibilance, but no muddy overall, I don't really care about bass.

I think you'll find the 750s better than the piston 3. I remember thinking the piston hd pros were much better than the piston 3 and i'm sure the 750s are superior in all regards to the Pro HDs.

Some people swear the mh755s have less bass but i can't confirm that. 750s are bassy but do everything else pretty well too. I wish i could get my pistons out of storage to compare. Curious now.

If you want clear balanced sound could you find a few extra euros for the Etymotic Er2 (i just got the ER2XR and am really liking them) or Vsonic Gr07 bass edition (which isn't bassy)?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #30,236 of 31,833
Can someone recommend me some cable down (not over ear!) cheap IEM (<20USD) which would have same sound (signature?) as Xiaomi Piston 3? It doesn't need to be better, I would rather prefer same sound. I really liked them until they got broken, then bought KZ ZSN and was disapointed, they had too sharp/bright sound for me plus hated cable over air, I can't stand sibilance as well.

edit: added note I really can't stand over ear cable
If you like cable down iem you can't go wrong with Sen**r Dee Tee6 (forbidden article here on head-fi), but really well sounding. Deep firm bass and pleasant mids/highs.
Now on Ali at e. 23.
In alternative you may try the Tanchjim Tanya, harmanish sounding, very pleasant and smooth.
Quarks could not be your cup of tea if you are trebbles sensitive.
Immo. :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #30,237 of 31,833
Missed that sale on Variations last week. Think I’m finally going to pick one up on the next sale. Any recommendations on where to purchase? Amazon and purchase extended warranty?
inseconds99, I'm seeing it's offered by Shenzhenaudio on their site for $520, as I write this. It shows a 2-year warranty, too.
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Shenzhenaudio or anybody else except my wife and kids.

Jul 5, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #30,238 of 31,833
If you like cable down iem you can't go wrong with Sen**r Dee Tee6 (forbidden article here on head-fi), but really well sounding. Deep firm bass and pleasant mids/highs.
Now on Ali at e. 23.
In alternative you may try the Tanchjim Tanya, harmanish sounding, very pleasant and smooth.
Quarks could not be your cup of tea if you are trebbles sensitive.
Immo. :wink:
Why are they forbidden? Anyway strange, can find them on Ali for 25USD through google, but can't find it through Ali search directly. From reviews they seem to have QC issues and reviewers say they have quite strong/harsh trebles with very bright signature.

Jul 5, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #30,239 of 31,833
Why are they forbidden? Anyway strange, can find them on Ali for 25USD through google, but can't find it through Ali search directly. From reviews they seem to have QC issues and reviewers say they have quite strong/harsh trebles with very bright signature.
Some shenanigans involving a seller on Aliexpress some 5+ years ago IIRC. You probably can't find them easily because they've been discontinued.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back