CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jun 30, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #30,214 of 31,833
Looking for a new toy and I can't keep up. What's the current super budget flavour of the month? Still the CCA CRA? Anything out lately that can best the BL-03?
KZ EDA-Balance still my most recommended for under $20 budget iem (oh, change the stock eartip).
EDA-bal with proper eartip, Unlike CRA it have decent cleaner punchy bass (cra have a bit muddy bass), weighty enough vocals (cra have a leaner vocals that fighting for the same spot with muddy bass), and enough sparkle on the treble (can't comment much on this aspect)

ESX is decent but its well, not as balanced and leans on being bassy with slightly recessed vocals and polite treble, but if that is your preferred sound sig.
the new CCA Lyra is supposed to be upgrade of eda-balanced with smoother treble but no one have tried it yet.
---
Moondrop chu is also comes highly recommended for that neutral bright with natural timbre, EDA-bal is more on the fun side of tuning.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #30,215 of 31,833
Looking for a new toy and I can't keep up. What's the current super budget flavour of the month? Still the CCA CRA? Anything out lately that can best the BL-03?
KZ EDX Ultra is pretty amazing. KZ ESX with better treble extension, and cheaper than ESX or CRA+. Still looks a clone of KZ EDX pro, but that's the only downside. For neutral tuning, CVJ CSA or Tripowin Lea, both on sale at AE for another 4 hours.

CRA+ and ESX are warm U with safer treble. EDA balanced gets a lot of good reviews. TRN has TA1 Max for a little more, I'm annoyed that mine haven't arrived yet, so I can't comment other than to say it has been well received here.

If you're feeling brave the CCA Lyra has just come out, and every other recent single DD from KZ/CCA has been good.

Depending on your definition of budget, there is the new Dioko planar (Crin colab) from 7Hz at $99. Zero feedback so far. Some people complain that his tuning is overrated. But IEMs like Yume Midnight and Fiio FHE seem to be improvements over their base models.

Jul 1, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #30,216 of 31,833
KZ EDX Ultra is pretty amazing. KZ ESX with better treble extension, and cheaper than ESX or CRA+. Still looks a clone of KZ EDX pro, but that's the only downside. For neutral tuning, CVJ CSA or Tripowin Lea, both on sale at AE for another 4 hours.

CRA+ and ESX are warm U with safer treble. EDA balanced gets a lot of good reviews. TRN has TA1 Max for a little more, I'm annoyed that mine haven't arrived yet, so I can't comment other than to say it has been well received here.

If you're feeling brave the CCA Lyra has just come out, and every other recent single DD from KZ/CCA has been good.

Depending on your definition of budget, there is the new Dioko planar (Crin colab) from 7Hz at $99. Zero feedback so far. Some people complain that his tuning is overrated. But IEMs like Yume Midnight and Fiio FHE seem to be improvements over their base models.
KZ EDA-Balance still my most recommended for under $20 budget iem (oh, change the stock eartip).
EDA-bal with proper eartip, Unlike CRA it have decent cleaner punchy bass (cra have a bit muddy bass), weighty enough vocals (cra have a leaner vocals that fighting for the same spot with muddy bass), and enough sparkle on the treble (can't comment much on this aspect)

ESX is decent but its well, not as balanced and leans on being bassy with slightly recessed vocals and polite treble, but if that is your preferred sound sig.
the new CCA Lyra is supposed to be upgrade of eda-balanced with smoother treble but no one have tried it yet.
---
Moondrop chu is also comes highly recommended for that neutral bright with natural timbre, EDA-bal is more on the fun side of tuning.

Thanks guys, i'll do some digging. I saw the Lyra today while looking on Ali. They'll have to sound pretty amazing as that bling shell isn't for me i don't think.

Already have the Timeless so i'm skipping the Dioko for now and everyone is doing a 14mm planer. Waiting until the dust settles before i go there again.

Will look into the neutral recommendations. Wouldn't mind something balanced with a bit of bass for an all round general purpose headphone that'll be good for podcasts, games and TV that V shapes don't do as well with due to recessed mids.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #30,217 of 31,833
Thanks guys, i'll do some digging. I saw the Lyra today while looking on Ali. They'll have to sound pretty amazing as that bling shell isn't for me i don't think.

Already have the Timeless so i'm skipping the Dioko for now and everyone is doing a 14mm planer. Waiting until the dust settles before i go there again.

Will look into the neutral recommendations. Wouldn't mind something balanced with a bit of bass for an all round general purpose headphone that'll be good for podcasts, games and TV that V shapes don't do as well with due to recessed mids.

CVJ Mirror is pretty good for neutral with lifted bass. Often goes on sale. I picked mine up for about $35. Some find the treble slightly hot. I used a copper cable and KBEAR 07 tips. and had no problems.

Jul 1, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #30,219 of 31,833
crazy generous GIVEAWAY from Tempotec.

This is your chance to win the upcoming V6 DAP...as well as new Serenade X BT DAC-AMP music station!
check this out:
https://www.facebook.com/101003922618734/posts/128769743175485

PS: Tempotec V6 dual AK4493SE DAP will sell for 270$ on Kickstarter in mid July.
Suggested price for october official release=400$ (it can become 350$ too....will not be above 400 for sure)

Jul 1, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #30,220 of 31,833
Wow the CRA is silly cheap at the moment. Under $9 shipped. They must have stopped selling.
With the new release of single DD's, I think the CRA may have had it's day. Well more like six months, but it shows how quickly things turn over. Would anyone have guessed the rate of release of planars now, and how cheap they are getting?

Jul 1, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #30,221 of 31,833
H
Wow the CRA is silly cheap at the moment. Under $9 shipped. They must have stopped selling.
I do hope, it is the laws of mass production more than "out of favour" discounts.
I got my 5 pairs of CRA to give as gifts at under $12, since it is really amazingly resolving IEM for this money.
I do personally like a bit more EDA balanced and ESX (CRA+ is safer tuning hardly worthy twice the price, but can be good at 40-50% premium over CRA, IMHO) and then I am really happy and appreciative to ChiFi and KZ that CRA can be experienced for under $10 - it is fully worthy, in my opinion.

Jul 2, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #30,225 of 31,833
If $20 is your budget, I would recommend the Astrotec Vesna, there are 2 versions, one is < $20 with a non detachable cable, the other is a bit pricier.
It is a neutralish IEM, not too bad technicalities, timbre is quite nice.

As for Tripowin Lea, I found it a bit shouty in the upper mids and the timbre was a bit off for acoustic instruments. But it is quite well built with a detachable cable. Haven't tried CVJ CSA so can't comment on that. Moondrop CHU is an okay set for beginners, but has a non detachable cable and is a bit shouty and fatiguing, and timbre also is a bit thin, so I won't recommend it for classical per se.
I nearly bought the Vesna a while back but have been trying to stay away from captive cables, I always manage to break them a few months out of warranty.
I'll keep an eye out for the Vesna Evos next time I need a Bullet style pair though, the cable on my Final E2000 has started to get quite stiff so it won't be long.:rolling_eyes:
Thanks.
If you like string instrument maybe you should look for a good 5k peak iem like CRA or Heart Mirror (tape)
KZ AS12 AS16 could be a really good choice (consider you can wait to buy it with discount). Maybe @Nimweth can help you !

I think you will like the CVJ CSA, it is a largely neutral IEM and unusual in that respect. It does sound good with classical music. The KZ AS12 is also a good choice, it can be found for around $23 on Ali Express. It is clean and bright but has good bass for an all BA model. It also excels with classical.

Check out the KZ AS06, 3 BA each side. Lots of detail and wide soundstage.
They're my "dirty little secret" because they're my daily, with an upgraded cable, and hardly anybody talks about them.
I use them with progressive rock so they should work well for your classical genre.
Currently within your budget at $27 CAD.
Have had time to look into those KZ multi BA models you suggest and they seem to be a step up in quality but couldn't find them for sale within my budget, apart from the AS06.
Anyway I've got them in my wish list now so will give them a try in my next round of purchases.
Thanks again.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back