CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Mar 10, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #29,731 of 31,833
Dear all,

Very happy with my "new" Mojo 1. I have a TRI I3 which is warm and U-shaped and ER2XR which is neutral with a little bass boost.

I would like the extension of the TRI but with the clarity of the ER2XR. I like a good helping of defined bass but do not consider myself a basshead. I'm not interested in the Ety EVO as I don't feel it would represent enough of a step up for me and the dedicated cable is a turn off.

Given that the Mojo is warm, perhaps a more balanced IEM would be next? My budget is £100-£150, happy to consider secondhand, don't mind what the driver style/count is but like hybrids. Don't really want to get into EQ, though. I would rather the IEM do the work, so to speak.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Mar 10, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #29,732 of 31,833
Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #29,733 of 31,833
Thanks for the consideration. Maybe - the Yume looks more interesting but my preferences don't mesh enough with crinacle's for me to consider it. I reviewed the TRI Meteor but found it too warm and lacking treble extension. That tells me that Harmanish tuning may not be my cup of tea.
Might wait for TRI Aurora reviews?

Mar 10, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #29,734 of 31,833
1646903857829.png

Mar 10, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #29,736 of 31,833
Mar 10, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #29,737 of 31,833
Hi all.
Having I Just a lot of low price chi-fi iems, D*6 Dq6 NRA C12 Tanya the better sounding for my taste, wort the effort to buy the CRA or could I save the money for something better?

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #29,738 of 31,833
While eartips are almost always guaranteed to change the sound, cables will depend on what you are upgrading from. Poor cables like what sony provides stock will see a dramatic difference when you upgrade to a good 8 core cable. If you already have a decent cable, the differences are so minor you won't appreciate the difference when switching to and from the upgrade cable. In general a well made $50 aliexpress cable is all you need.

$300-$1000+ Artisan cables with exotic and less conductive materials are a whole other rabbit hole though. If I wanted a different signature I would rather spend the money on actually buying another iem.
exactly....thats what im trying to say to people that consider sub-100$ upgrade cable as BS like if it was a 1K$ cable...for exemple, just recabling my VIDO earbuds with a SPC cable make SO much difference it literally heal bass distortion issue...i dont think its psychoacoustic bias...i can invent distortion noise with my mind!

Mar 10, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #29,739 of 31,833
Hi all.
Having I Just a lot of low price chi-fi iems, D*6 Dq6 NRA C12 Tanya the better sounding for my taste, wort the effort to buy the CRA or could I save the money for something better?
if I were you, ill stay away of KZ if your fav is Tanya since it mean your perhaps sensible to natural timbre and smooth tonal balance....perhaps giving a try to Tripowin Lea or Tanchjim Ola is a better bet.

Mar 10, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #29,740 of 31,833
Dear all,

Very happy with my "new" Mojo 1. I have a TRI I3 which is warm and U-shaped and ER2XR which is neutral with a little bass boost.

I would like the extension of the TRI but with the clarity of the ER2XR. I like a good helping of defined bass but do not consider myself a basshead. I'm not interested in the Ety EVO as I don't feel it would represent enough of a step up for me and the dedicated cable is a turn off.

Given that the Mojo is warm, perhaps a more balanced IEM would be next? My budget is £100-£150, happy to consider secondhand, don't mind what the driver style/count is but like hybrids. Don't really want to get into EQ, though. I would rather the IEM do the work, so to speak.

I just receive the AUDIOSENSE AQ4 today and I do think it's an excellent IEM. Warm bass with weighty slam, great clean vocal presence, crisp treble that doesnt feel out of place. Sound like a crisper KBear Meteor with better imaging but similarly smooth natural timbre (for hybrid BA). Bass remind me TRI I3pro too. I didnt like AQ3 since their were too much bass bleed and treble wasnt extended enough, AQ4 solve all this issue. Very well balanced smooth W to ''romantic-neutral'' IEM. I will compare them to DT600, but I already feel its more cohesive as a whole in term of balance.

Mar 10, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #29,741 of 31,833
I just receive the AUDIOSENSE AQ4 today and I do think it's an excellent IEM. Warm bass with weighty slam, great clean vocal presence, crisp treble that doesnt feel out of place. Sound like a crisper KBear Meteor with better imaging but similarly smooth natural timbre (for hybrid BA). Bass remind me TRI I3pro too. I didnt like AQ3 since their were too much bass bleed and treble wasnt extended enough, AQ4 solve all this issue. Very well balanced smooth W to ''romantic-neutral'' IEM. I will compare them to DT600, but I already feel its more cohesive as a whole in term of balance.
I wonder how these stack up to my personal hybrid champion, the Shozy Form 1.4.

Mar 10, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #29,742 of 31,833
I wonder how these stack up to my personal hybrid champion, the Shozy Form 1.4.
i wonder too...dont have those...i still have the Rouge tough...its not exactly the type of IEM that make you go WOW....tonality is too balanced cohesive and slightly warm for that. Kinda smooth L shape tonality. It follow the DT600 soundsig legacy.
its easy to love. but is it easy to forget too? thats the question i will try to solve after honey moon period.

Mar 11, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #29,743 of 31,833
Thanks for the suggestion. I look forward to your write up as you have a few of the IEMs I have or have had in the past so it's easier to get a reference. Reading the reviews, I don't think the Aurora is for me. I though the Meteor was a little dull, to be honest. I'm struggling to think of anything else that would be a step up. Maybe I need to go up a price bracket?

I'm hoping @Nimweth or @baskingshark can chime in as I find their impressions are close to what I perceive.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #29,744 of 31,833
Mar 11, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #29,745 of 31,833
Dear all,

Hmm perhaps these are the IEMs you can read about:

1) Tripowin Olina - harman tuned IEM (single DD), similar tonality (graphs) to Tanchjim Oxygen, but perhaps maybe hitting 70% technical peformance of the Oxygen. Excellent technicalities - imaging, micro-details, soundstage, instrument separation. Can be a tinge hot for treble sensitive folks, but I think a warm source balances it out. Sharp edge definite for notes and quite a good all rounder. I'd call it a baby Tanchjim Oxygen for 2.5x cheaper.

2) Moondrop KATO - this IEM follows Moondrop’s virtual diffuse sound field (VDSF) tuning philosophy (which is their in-house variant of the Harman curve). The KATO has 2 tuning nozzles to change the presentation slightly, and has quite lush and thick mids, especially lower mids. Tonally it is smoother than the Olina, the KATO has a more compressed soundstage but is more detailed. Imaging and instrument separation are slightly weaker on the KATO, compared to the Olina.

Hope this helps and that the others can chime in! Sorry I'm more of a single DD guy, not so much into hybrids.
But if you want a technical hybrid at that price, also you can read about the TRI Starsea. It has 4 tuning options to be neutralish to U shaped. Excellent technical performance in micro-details, imaging and instrument separation. However, it is not the bassiest, even on the bassiest tuning switch, and due to the 9ish ohm impedance, it needs a source with output impedance < 1.15 ohm ideally, based on rules of 8ths. The chord mojo's reported 0.7 ohm OI should be a good match for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back