CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Mar 3, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #29,716 of 31,834
I mostly listen to newer stuff for first impressions. Oldest I'll get to is like rage against machine and chili peppers. Some iem's like arias and leas I'll go hendrix but that's rare atm. I have my cra's coming maybe in a couple weeks.
Please don't crank up the volume, they're quite loud (sound) compare to most of your iem lol.

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #29,718 of 31,834
I dont have SSR but SSP. Timbre wise the SSP is more natural and have a more cohesive tuning as a whole, its warmer too, especially bass section feel a bit more muddy-slower than KC2 thigher cleaner slam. KC2 have notably better imaging and overall clarity, female vocal are more fowarded, treble is more extended but a bit less natural too.

Tonality go to SSP while technicality go to KC2.

+1 for KB100 being better too.
Confusing at the end. :*(

Mar 4, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #29,720 of 31,834
still love my KZ CRN, my new KZ FAV.
If you are sceptical about how much an ear tips can affect soundstage and tonal balance, give a try to KZ CRN + short wide bore tips.

the plus=

-wider, taller, deeper soundstage with improved imaging and layering.
-smoother vocal, more open and wide and less prompt to slight sibilance (!!!!)
-more airy, cleaner overall treble
-less bass bleed

the cons=
-warmer bass, less punchy
-sudden more mid centric sound might be a surprise for some
1646417371925.png

Mar 4, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #29,721 of 31,834
Crn one of my least fav iems. Just got the dq6s and I love it. Some drama on a fb thread where maybe the extra drivers aren't working and/or the port for them is blocked off by glue. I think mine are fine judging by sound, but makes me wonder about the crn's now. I'll have to try the crn's hopefully next week if my dac/amp comes and maybe it'll be better.
I think CRN will have similar reception than ARIA....hate or love clans...im from the loving CRN gang, but i struggle to find the right eartips to make the sound less congested. quite a game changer now. thing is i cant listen to most KZ for a long time due to ear fatigue i can get. this issue is not there with CRN and vocal doesnt make me want to throw up. anyway, its nothing compared to HZsound Mirror, but thats another whole flavor.

DQ6S seem nice tbh. anything not tune by own KZ team seem intriguing to me.

I got the ZES....another fail. but better than CA10 for sure.

dont remember if i share this here:

ZES RUSHED REVIEW

TONALITY: 7.2/10
TECHNICALITIES: 7/10
CONSTRUCTION: 7.5/10
SOUND VALUE: 6.5/10

TONALITY:
A strange mix of warm V shape with crisp but compressed highs. Thick as a whole, so cohesive in that regard, but not perfectly balanced due to sub bass bleed.

TECHNICALITIES:
Just average. Resolution is rather dark. Attack rather slow and not snappy. Extension in both end lack linearity and control. Highs can be quite fast, but not well timed so they feel stick on top of a thick sound presentation.

So, these are seriously V shape, near basshead level and it offer a big slam that isn't too sloppy but sure lack in proper control and articulation. Big BOOM with sustain rumble. Not very textured or detailed bass, warm and juicy. Its very good for pop and electronic, little less so for fast jazz and classical since kick benefit more speed and presence.

The MIDS are a bit recessed as expected, but timbre wise, they are very nice....not dry, bright, grainy or sibilant like older KZ. It centered and intimate, not very wide and open. Definition lack precision and edge. Transparency is decent. Timbre is thinner than bass and highs. Piano sound good, saxophone less so.

TREBLE is quite unique....but again, im not sure to get the EST ''upgrade'' apart for percussions speed and snap in attack. For once, i would prefer some highs detachment since i find it lack air and decay like NRA and CRN. I feel their lot of sound info omited, yet the est focus on specific micro-details section. Some time, you can have strange texture part put upfront, like with slap or acoustic bass.

IMAGING is bad. Instrument lack space and definition. Everything feel mixed up.

SOUNDSTAGE is very wide and tall, with near zero deepness to it.

COMPARISONS

VS CCA NRA

NRA is crisper, less bassy and more open and detailed. It's less warm and thick as a whole. Bass is more rolled off and doesnt create intense rumble but have more texture and bleed less on mids. Imaging is notably better with NRA, making the ZES feel quite veil and overly darkened in micro-definition. Vocal are less recessed, more upfront in presence and well extracted. Soundstage is wider with ZES but deeper with NRA.

VS KZ CRN

Well, this is something SO superior in all regard...ZES are put to shame in both tonal balance and technicalities. I dont feel part of my music is scooped with CRN. Resolution is notably higher, yet smoother too. Bass is more linear and textured, better separated and less boomy. Mids are way more upfront and full sounding. Both male female vocal have more presence, feel more open. Treble dig more micro details and texture nuance.
All in all, i think KZ should hire Crin for full time tuning and stop with random experiment.
CONCLUSION

I don't get why the ZES exist, but they are here, they appear in my hands and now the time in my ears is done. 1H is enough of this for me. If you want warm boomy V shape with extra treble snap as energic decoration....hum, perhaps its for you. But I highly suggest to buy the CRN for a well tuned KZ.

Mar 4, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #29,722 of 31,834
still love my KZ CRN, my new KZ FAV.
If you are sceptical about how much an ear tips can affect soundstage and tonal balance, give a try to KZ CRN + short wide bore tips.

the plus=

-wider, taller, deeper soundstage with improved imaging and layering.
-smoother vocal, more open and wide and less prompt to slight sibilance (!!!!)
-more airy, cleaner overall treble
-less bass bleed

the cons=
-warmer bass, less punchy
-sudden more mid centric sound might be a surprise for some
1646417371925.png
Eartips really do magic. Whizzer SS20 is the same short wide concept and I like the soundstage and vocal positioning it provides

Mar 4, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #29,723 of 31,834
Eartips really do magic. Whizzer SS20 is the same short wide concept and I like the soundstage and vocal positioning it provides
indeed, this look like ear tips i wish to have in my collection, less soft than the basic one i share. a bit pricey tough...the Moondrop Spring eartips too are quite nice. As well as legendary KZ STARLINES but it does affect sound differently.

I like these type of tips with multi BA iem like Audiosense T800-DT600, Hisenior T2 classic, Seeaudio Yume but tubed DD too, like UM 3DT and well....the CRN is a surprise to me. Ear tips is what inflict the most on IEM sound projection imo

Mar 4, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #29,724 of 31,834
Is Starsea vented? It seems pressure build up avoidance is a very recent must have feature

Yes it is vented.

But even the presence of a vent does not totally guarantee that there will be no driver flex/pressure build up, as this depends on shell design and ear anatomy and types of ear tips used.

indeed, this look like ear tips i wish to have in my collection, less soft than the basic one i share. a bit pricey tough...the Moondrop Spring eartips too are quite nice. As well as legendary KZ STARLINES but it does affect sound differently.

I like these type of tips with multi BA iem like Audiosense T800-DT600, Hisenior T2 classic, Seeaudio Yume but tubed DD too, like UM 3DT and well....the CRN is a surprise to me. Ear tips is what inflict the most on IEM sound projection imo

Yeah eartips can make or break an IEM, not only in terms of modifying the sound, but securing fit and isolation and comfort. See BLON BL-03 with the crappy stock tips provided, most people need to do mods or use aftermarket eartips.

Eartips are very overlooked. I'd say they change the sound much more than cables (for cable believers).

Mar 5, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #29,725 of 31,834
Yes it is vented.

But even the presence of a vent does not totally guarantee that there will be no driver flex/pressure build up, as this depends on shell design and ear anatomy and types of ear tips used.

Yeah eartips can make or break an IEM, not only in terms of modifying the sound, but securing fit and isolation and comfort. See BLON BL-03 with the crappy stock tips provided, most people need to do mods or use aftermarket eartips.

Eartips are very overlooked. I'd say they change the sound much more than cables (for cable believers).
Absolutely, cable is like adding pinch of salt or sugar that is barely possible to taste...while ear tips can make night and day difference. My solution for BL03 was the KZ Starlines.
I do believe that type of drivers used in an IEM can inflict on ear tips choice too. Multi BA doesnt project sound like a DD....this explain why their no universal ear tips that will work for ALL iem. DD move more air in a wider space, and seem more flexible in slound wave...while BA seem more linear ''shooting'' so if their something in its way it will compress the wave and go easily messy when their more than one wave. When the ear tips is fully open and doesnt add second tubing (since lotta BA are already tubed) it permit to all these sound wave to fly individually without mixing togheter, thus offering a more open and well articulated sound imo

Mar 5, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #29,726 of 31,834
Absolutely, cable is like adding pinch of salt or sugar that is barely possible to taste...while ear tips can make night and day difference. My solution for BL03 was the KZ Starlines.
I do believe that type of drivers used in an IEM can inflict on ear tips choice too. Multi BA doesnt project sound like a DD....this explain why their no universal ear tips that will work for ALL iem. DD move more air in a wider space, and seem more flexible in slound wave...while BA seem more linear ''shooting'' so if their something in its way it will compress the wave and go easily messy when their more than one wave. When the ear tips is fully open and doesnt add second tubing (since lotta BA are already tubed) it permit to all these sound wave to fly individually without mixing togheter, thus offering a more open and well articulated sound imo
+1 for Starline tips, perhaps we can convince KZ to bring them back instead of those dreadful white things they include now!

Mar 6, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #29,727 of 31,834
While eartips are almost always guaranteed to change the sound, cables will depend on what you are upgrading from. Poor cables like what sony provides stock will see a dramatic difference when you upgrade to a good 8 core cable. If you already have a decent cable, the differences are so minor you won't appreciate the difference when switching to and from the upgrade cable. In general a well made $50 aliexpress cable is all you need.

$300-$1000+ Artisan cables with exotic and less conductive materials are a whole other rabbit hole though. If I wanted a different signature I would rather spend the money on actually buying another iem.

Mar 7, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #29,728 of 31,834
In the past I've always bought bullet? style in-ear earphones (SoundMagic e80), now looking into the chunkier style IEMs but I'm a bit concerned about the fit.
Before buying a decent pair I thought I'd buy a few dirt cheap ones to try out the various shapes.
To be honest the vast amount of cheap IEMs available is mind boggling so was hoping someone could please give me the popular opinion on what are considered to be reasonable all-rounders in the around $10 price range?
Although these are just to test I'd still like something listenable so I don't feel too guilty when I gift them on to my less favourite nieces or nephews.

I see the KZ ATE and ZS3 are in the right price range and seem to have a different casing design from each other which would fit my purpose, ZS3 looks like it has a more pronounced wing on the back than the ATE.
Anything newer I should be looking at?

Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #29,729 of 31,834
In the past I've always bought bullet? style in-ear earphones (SoundMagic e80), now looking into the chunkier style IEMs but I'm a bit concerned about the fit.
Before buying a decent pair I thought I'd buy a few dirt cheap ones to try out the various shapes.
To be honest the vast amount of cheap IEMs available is mind boggling so was hoping someone could please give me the popular opinion on what are considered to be reasonable all-rounders in the around $10 price range?
Although these are just to test I'd still like something listenable so I don't feel too guilty when I gift them on to my less favourite nieces or nephews.

I see the KZ ATE and ZS3 are in the right price range and seem to have a different casing design from each other which would be fit my purpose, ZS3 looks like it has a more pronounced wing on the back than the ATE.
Anything newer I should be looking at?

Thanks
Moondrop Spaceship, very underrated budget in-ears. Highly recommended if you want a balanced-treble focus sound.
Blons bl-03 are the classic if a balanced-bass signature is on your mind. (with tips swap, I use Tanchjim T-APB T300B+T300T tips and maybe a cable swap)
Final E500 for neutrality without being boring.

Mar 9, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #29,730 of 31,834
Moondrop Spaceship, very underrated budget in-ears. Highly recommended if you want a balanced-treble focus sound.
Blons bl-03 are the classic if a balanced-bass signature is on your mind. (with tips swap, I use Tanchjim T-APB T300B+T300T tips and maybe a cable swap)
Final E500 for neutrality without being boring.
Hi Gourab,

Thanks very much for the reply but I'm actually interested in trying the larger/full size IEMs (like Moondrop Starfields), as I've never tried that style before I've no idea if that type of IEM fits my ears, hence trying some various cheaper $10 ones first.

My current most used earphones are the Final E2000 and have a pair of Tanchjim Tanyas on deck ready to go when I inevitably break the captive cable on them, so would be grateful for suggestions for something different from those please, physical design wise?

Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back