CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 16, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #29,011 of 31,833
Actually I see a lot of manufacturers claiming a burn in of 100 - 200 hours is needed to let the IEM sound optimal.

Sounds (no pun intended) like a scheme to distract the consumer in case they don't like the sound OOTB? Like they burn in 200 hours and a new hypetrain comes in the mail within that period, or the returns policy is over after 200 hours hahaha. I mean burn in for a few hours is okay, but agree that a 100 - 200 hours burn in isn't gonna make a night and day difference.
Lol, you might have nailed a marketing approach among other:wink:
but tbh, its just imprevisible in my experience....but for me, listening to the same IEM 50H represent about 2weeks and more (cause i can't only listen to 1 IEM!) so while im able to tell different in short period of time, im not sure after 1 years of use i would be able to pin point sound difference! Sound like a form of fetichism for some at the end imo.
the type of material used for diaphragm inflict, as well, for speakers some hifi companies do burn-in phases...i guess they don't do that just for fun.
DD seem way more sensible to diaphragm flexibility challenge...
Planar too, my Sundara was sounding very strange at first, overly flat-cold...these are big Azz driver membranes.

Oct 16, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #29,012 of 31,833
Burnin works great for me! I'd never buy earphone with less than 200 hour burnin spec because that gives me the confidence that the engineer listened to their creation long enough before shipping it out to customers (lol). One desirable side effect is GAS reduction, hence less crap in my earphone pile. BTW, are you planning to reopen your fb group soon?
Gas reduction? Cool, we learn something new everyday!
But im not sure it means they listen to them 200h or so....like, every one of them...for a chifi at less than 100$...hum, who knows...perhaps BQEYZ did!

Anyway, im open-minded about burn-in. Like I am about cable too. Unless snake oil priced.

Yeah mate, NBBA will reopen soon...i just bought a ''chifi house with QC issue'' so...hard to focus on anything else. Its easier to just pop up here time to time for now.

Oct 16, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #29,013 of 31,833
While some of those ultra cheap, reversed teardrop design IEMs are good deals, I wouldn't recommend them unless one knows their signatures. KZ EDX to me is unique, my first impression was 'Crisp', notes are very clean, and bass lacking, could be a good fit for podcast, but not suitable for all genres! MT1 was a more generic experience, they're alright, and just... alright. It probably wouldn't be a bad ideas to spend extra bucks. Tons of options in $20~$40 range.
Indeed...but it's 10$ category. Bass lack extension but is thumpy enough. EDX is a great deal imo
20-50$ is magical budget price range, no doubt!! (HZMHZMHZMHZMHZMHZMHZM)

Oct 16, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #29,014 of 31,833
Agree on the takes on design. It ain't bad but I really do think only a gigantic second driver would justify the wasted space there.

It's sad how diminishing wired earbuds market is. I simply don't even think of wired ones anymore unless it's something very creative, or amazing deals. The only one wired earbuds I got this year was a RHA T20i, and I only got them because the encountered price was sub $50, and I have a thing for metal shells.

There were five other TWS purchased in the same period. They just offer a lot more convenience with presentable sound, longer battery life, and features like ANC etc.

So many brands disappeared in last couple of years. I really hope wired companies up their games, or at least get into the wireless market for profits. Stick around to make some wired earbuds, even as a niche product!
TWS....im not going into this....nope nope nope.

That's personal taste here, some favoring practicality over sound quality, others not.

And practicality is debatable cause of battery life aspect....so, nope nope nope, not going to open this pandora box!

Happy you enjoy your TWS earbuds mate, perhaps giving a try to HZsound Mirror for your next wired (detachable) IEM will be very good value for your love of music too, they go that metal shell:wink: hum, but are quite of bass light, but Deep lean bass kinda way.

Oct 17, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #29,015 of 31,833
Here is another review of a couple of budget offerings, the CCZ Melody and the CCZ Emerald

As with all of my reviews, these are available in Spanish on my blog (www.achoreviews.com) and on YouTube (www.youtube.com/achoreviews)

AVvXsEjeFd0xp-mtRKObsRt6WImWku9BHwMU6xOfIJ2tZF9gN67mqh09dRo47ChUDXjM-nbUT8WAq5SeAb0TnoKAS5pqNoTl6NUPIWQatSEaJEF0O1CFpCxDkHL4TCkusYyhMH4xYXCa0Qs1kP9-ibgKmkBw2Sego6p-QiwII2JEJ-KCzPLT-iLwd2UHDTqS=w640-h426

The CCZ Emerald and the CCZ Melody were sent to me free of charge by KeepHiFi in exchange for this review. They have not requested anything, therefore my review will be as honest and sincere as possible, as they always are, but it is always good to consider the fact that these IEMs have not cost me anything.

As I have mentioned before, I don't post purchasing links (even though they are non-affiliate links) on external websites, so to see the links to these products via KeepHiFi or their AliExpress store, please visit the version of this review posted on my blog.

Intro…

This is the first time I have tried any CCZ IEMs and I decided to review them both together. My main reason for this is that they are so similar that if it wasn’t for the colour (and a few sound differences), I would not be able to tell them apart. Therefore, I will discuss both of these and also compare them against themselves as I go.

Before getting on with the usual parts of my review, I will mention the specs so you can see what I mean about being similar:

The Emerald uses a single 10mm DD together with a custom CCZ BA driver. It states an impedance of 16 Ohms and a sensibility of 110dB.

The Melody uses a single 10mm DD together with a custom CCZ BA driver. It states an impedance of 16 Ohms and a sensibility of 110dB.

No, I didn’t just copy and paste that paragraph, maybe you are starting to get my point.

They are even the same price, well, the Emerald is actually about 1€ more expensive, both coming in at under 20€.

AVvXsEikT-1DCFjxcAnQeczY4wNvtMlgawh1yfHf_s_NkaeWD2TOnnK8v7_H8Iv9-FLXptyHAfnsMfSL6j0G9vM41NLDkvmveXEINNRG8RU-U3OmCeAsuV3ThRS0wfq51Kk9vdktO2iZ4eXswSAPgiq3MXo7IO-PgbaNwMFO3T7HaUtUFcn-PwLfVki3o68i=w640-h426

Presentation…

It’s no surprise that both sets of IEMs come packaged in exactly the same way. A simple white box with an image of the product on the front, with a few specs on the back and features on the sides of the boxes. Apart from the difference in image on the front of the box, the only other difference I can find is that the Melody mentions “Lightweight design” as a feature whereas the Emerald states “Selected Dynamic Driver” in the same place on the box.

Also, on the front of the box of the Melody it states that the are “Stunning New Sound from Inside Out”, while the Emerald just says “DD and BA Hybrid In-Ear HIFI Earphones”.

Inside the box we again find everything is identical except for the actual IEMs. Both contain the exact same cable and two extra sets of silicone tips along with the ones that are installed.

AVvXsEhL1ZAC3qoM8pI26e8cTh5qIH-QoJm2b59qZ9IQ1R42USXlrNB_lixaP_CgBZL1K6w0GHpr4UXd1cnBI6OPyWfhac1TQ3DZLQ_hrmjCrQpIITj7bNrv6wWTIEaIqiR1A5Xu67KR2923qgy5wADh0dSyIAzOak5dnY6ShbPmIkJkzPdfEQBIz0iLML4V=w640-h426

Build and aesthetics…

First, as both are the same, the cable. The cable is a thin black cable that is reminiscent of those that were included with earlier KZ models. There is nothing really wrong with the cable, it is a basic cable that serves it’s purpose but won’t be winning any prizes.

Now the IEMs, which are actually different, well… sort of. The shapes are identical, the size is identical and the only difference (apart from colour) is a small slope on the faceplate of the Emerald, which you can probably see in the photo above.

There is lees than a gram difference in weight, so I would have thought that the lightweight design would have been a feature of the Emerald also but, I guess the selected Dynamic Driver was more appealing.

There seem to be no obvious build issues or flaws, at least at this price point, and I got the Melody in clear so I can actually see the inside. I am certainly not going to pick faults with it as it is a sub 20€ IEM, so as long as it has no obvious flaws, that is fine with me.

I will say that I prefer the look of the Emerald, in my case in blue but also available in green, as I think it looks a little better while hiding the internals (only on the top, the back is still transparent so you can see the driver capsule.

As far as comfort, I have to say that I experienced some issues with these IEMs (remember they are both identical. On the top part of the inside they have something that is kind of like a rubber lip. This actually puts pressure on the inside of my ear and became rather uncomfortable after an hour or so. I found that I couldn’t wear them for longer than that without discomfort, so my sessions have been intermittent. Comfort is obviously a very personal thing and I have no idea if this will affect other people also but I can only speak for myself.

One other thing I noticed was that the tips included have a kind of channel around them, near the tip. I have no idea what this was supposed to do, if anything, but I found the tips to provide a decent sound and comfort that wasn’t bad either, so my sound impressions are with the stock tips.

AVvXsEjjNykZ_fwhPgn7JrKc5xNA6qVPaksnZ7Zu53Zjq1V6bbrK_KKD_NoyLR8B1VBcCzdTKcnThxY_1KgE1KRn3ZA22GPbVPXE54gp9MN5ey7O9yPj4mkVAilPmz8rT1YCGQ3GyulAcw0fUDD2fRXdnAYhnp53N9b-XehKld2t0EJE9COn7p_Z8-XbwbuI=w640-h426

Sound…

So, onto the part where things are a little different, with the emphasis being on “little”.

First let me say that I started off with the Emerald and found that the sound signature was quite pleasant. I didn’t immediately pick up any specific flaws and found that I was quite happily listening to my music while working. If it hadn't been for that hot spot I mentioned in comfort, I would have easily listened to these IEMs all day.

The Melody was also a pleasant enough listen but I found it to lack a bit of body and fullness in comparison to the Emerald. I will mention a little more as I go through the usual frequency groups.

Starting with the subbass, the Emerald has a nice extension with good presence but without being overpowering in any way. Low notes are clear and articulate but do not give the impression of being overly boosted. For example, a song like “Royals” by Lorde proves to have enough in the subbass regions to appreciate what is going on down there but when passing over to something more acoustical, the Emerald don’t suddenly add weight at the low end that shouldn’t be there.

In comparison, the Melody is quite a bit thinner on the low end. There is still a presence of subbass, enough to appreciate the tracks, but it is not as full as the Emerald in this regard. I suppose one could argue that it is cleaner but to be honest, the Emerald is not exactly dirty in its subbass reproduction.

Honestly, I could live with the subbass on either of these two sets but my guess would be that the majority of people would opt for the subbass on the Emerald over the Melody.

Moving into the mid and higher bass territory, the situation is repeated. The Melody is very clean and is by no means overly boosted. It presents bass lines with nice articulation, making it easy to appreciate all kinds of bass lines, from Led Zeppelin's “Whole Lotta Love” through to “All Eyez on Me” by 2Pac.

However, moving back to the Emerald, the clean and articulated sound of the bass lines is still just as present, with just a little more presence. I mean, there is not a huge dB difference between the bass on the Melody and the Emerald, but it is noticeable and in my opinion, the Emerald makes it seem a little fuller, with more body. Again, as my preferences usually move towards the neutral side of things in the bass regions, one would think that the Melody would have the upper hand, but again I find that both are good, just that the extra body of the Emerald makes music seem a little more lively.

Moving into the mids, these are also quite pleasurable. There is no real recess in the mids, however, as the Emerald does have that little extra in bass, the mids can seem slightly further back. The difference is not huge and this is only really noticeable on tracks with a lot of bass, such as “Chameleon” or “Sun Is Shining” etc. I think I would again choose the Emerald for the mids as I like that little extra roundness of the low end with the majority of my music. Maybe on occasions where bass is very present in a track, again, such as “Chameleon”, then maybe I would opt for the mids from the Melody but the majority of the music I listen to is not overly boosted in the low end.

Vocals come across very nicely on both sets, with enough presence and clarity to make the majority of my music very enjoyable. There is a nice balance throughout the vocal ranges of both male and female singers, with tracks like “Billie Jean” by The Civil Wars being well balanced between both voices and without either becoming overly harsh. In the case of vocals, I think both sets are very similar, except for a little extra weight in the lowest ranges of very deep male vocals. There were a few brief occasions where I noticed a little harshness in some of the higher mids of specific voices but it was a very rare occurrence and very much dependent on a specific note in a specific recording.

Up in the higher ranges, both sets offer a decent amount of air and extension, without being overly sibilant. There is a slight touch of sibilance on my usual “Code Cool” test track, not enough to be painful but certainly a little bit more that I would choose. The Emerald seems to be slightly better in this regard but not by a huge amount. The extension is also very similar on both with the Melody perhaps seeming to be more airy due to that slight touch more presence in these frequency ranges.

As far as stage and image placement, I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by these IEMs. Listening to “Strange Fruit” by Dominique Fils-Aimé, the multiple vocals are nicely spaced and the layers are easily identified. Of course these are still IEMs but they are above the averageness I have come to expect from the majority. I think that the Melody gives a sensation of being slightly wider, however the Emerald makes the layers sound a little smoother and more “locked in” with each other, although the differences are minimal.

AVvXsEi63eycYP5_fL2PSlYxiyzizbEHJm89qInOlVVHAT1cnQy64QPwPpOJkQ6nroeX-vaMprTrCB8umtonyVEizZwSsGOPOTdDHuqxzvUBZCVejOGE2EL5_LIGw-bTL5YVHDDwE1hoF2hLHX8xC8HeYXir_LtRwvSs0zDAd_NGfKuz4svT-qG7B7KfjEdf=w640-h426

Conclusion…

I have been pleasantly surprised by these offerings from CCZ for their price bracket. They are very coherent and enjoyable IEMs. It is a shame that the comfort doesn’t work for me, meaning that I can't listen to them for extended periods of time. By the end of the tests and comparisons, my ears really did feel painful.

As far as the actual sound signatures, I think I would choose the Emerald over the melody. I know this sounds strange, me choosing the bassier set of the two, but I feel that it just ties everything in together a little better, giving an overall roundness to the presentation.

To be totally honest, I think that either of these sets is a good buy for the 20€ asking price, but the Emerald is just slightly more refined and a better deal.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #29,016 of 31,833
Hello friends, I got to experience the FD3 by FiiO Courtesy of a very good friend of mine(he bought the unit and gave me for audition for a few days).

I know it has become an old model, but for about 100$, I simply loved the set. Here are my brief impressions for the same.

fd3.jpg

FiiO is one of my favorite brands where I have used many of their gears previously including M11 Pro Music Player, FH5 IEM, and FD5 IEMs. And to be very honest, FD5 were my favorite single dynamic IEMs until today when I got to experience the FD3.

I was not at all interested in buying the FD3 at all. I thought I have now evolved from the state where I need my FD5 with me(I sold it long back). But hearing this gem, made me go insane. This little beauty comes very close to just 100$ but in my general opinion, is a much better value-for-money stuff than the FD5. It's like FiiO created a competition for themselves at a lower price point.

Tonality: Warm with elevated bass. The bass response of this pair is like a sub-woofer. You get to experience some of the best bass you can at this price point with the FD3.

Lower End: As mentioned above, the best I have experienced at this price point. It's punchy, it's impactful, it's literally a sub-woofer in your ears. Want a fun listening session? FD3 is the perfect one for you.

Midrange: I find midrange warm and musical. The vocals have good clarity and carry good emotions with them. Acoustic instruments are well-detailed.

Treble: The top end has a smooth treatment, the extension is good, the instrument separation is excellent for the price point. There is no noticeable harshness or sibilance with the FD3.

Soundstage: Good width with a decent amount of air on the stage.

A short comparison between FD5 and FD3.

IMO, take a little bit of energy out of FD5, elevate some bass response, and give a warm touch to the vocals, whooosh FD3 is here.

Some Cons with FD3:-
In terms of sound, I just can't complain about anything. But obviously, if you prefer reference-grade or balanced sound, the FD3 is not for you. It has a bassy signature.

My Biggest concern with FD3 is its weight. I listened to the pair for about an hour or two, and my ears were paining. The earpieces are heavy and are not designed for long listening sessions.

Well, that's about it from my side on the FD3. Hope it helps you out. I will put up my review later on its thread.

Oct 17, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #29,017 of 31,833
Here is another review of a couple of budget offerings, the CCZ Melody and the CCZ Emerald

As with all of my reviews, these are available in Spanish on my blog (www.achoreviews.com) and on YouTube (www.youtube.com/achoreviews)

AVvXsEjeFd0xp-mtRKObsRt6WImWku9BHwMU6xOfIJ2tZF9gN67mqh09dRo47ChUDXjM-nbUT8WAq5SeAb0TnoKAS5pqNoTl6NUPIWQatSEaJEF0O1CFpCxDkHL4TCkusYyhMH4xYXCa0Qs1kP9-ibgKmkBw2Sego6p-QiwII2JEJ-KCzPLT-iLwd2UHDTqS=w640-h426

The CCZ Emerald and the CCZ Melody were sent to me free of charge by KeepHiFi in exchange for this review. They have not requested anything, therefore my review will be as honest and sincere as possible, as they always are, but it is always good to consider the fact that these IEMs have not cost me anything.

As I have mentioned before, I don't post purchasing links (even though they are non-affiliate links) on external websites, so to see the links to these products via KeepHiFi or their AliExpress store, please visit the version of this review posted on my blog.

Intro…

This is the first time I have tried any CCZ IEMs and I decided to review them both together. My main reason for this is that they are so similar that if it wasn’t for the colour (and a few sound differences), I would not be able to tell them apart. Therefore, I will discuss both of these and also compare them against themselves as I go.

Before getting on with the usual parts of my review, I will mention the specs so you can see what I mean about being similar:

The Emerald uses a single 10mm DD together with a custom CCZ BA driver. It states an impedance of 16 Ohms and a sensibility of 110dB.

The Melody uses a single 10mm DD together with a custom CCZ BA driver. It states an impedance of 16 Ohms and a sensibility of 110dB.

No, I didn’t just copy and paste that paragraph, maybe you are starting to get my point.

They are even the same price, well, the Emerald is actually about 1€ more expensive, both coming in at under 20€.

AVvXsEikT-1DCFjxcAnQeczY4wNvtMlgawh1yfHf_s_NkaeWD2TOnnK8v7_H8Iv9-FLXptyHAfnsMfSL6j0G9vM41NLDkvmveXEINNRG8RU-U3OmCeAsuV3ThRS0wfq51Kk9vdktO2iZ4eXswSAPgiq3MXo7IO-PgbaNwMFO3T7HaUtUFcn-PwLfVki3o68i=w640-h426

Presentation…

It’s no surprise that both sets of IEMs come packaged in exactly the same way. A simple white box with an image of the product on the front, with a few specs on the back and features on the sides of the boxes. Apart from the difference in image on the front of the box, the only other difference I can find is that the Melody mentions “Lightweight design” as a feature whereas the Emerald states “Selected Dynamic Driver” in the same place on the box.

Also, on the front of the box of the Melody it states that the are “Stunning New Sound from Inside Out”, while the Emerald just says “DD and BA Hybrid In-Ear HIFI Earphones”.

Inside the box we again find everything is identical except for the actual IEMs. Both contain the exact same cable and two extra sets of silicone tips along with the ones that are installed.

AVvXsEhL1ZAC3qoM8pI26e8cTh5qIH-QoJm2b59qZ9IQ1R42USXlrNB_lixaP_CgBZL1K6w0GHpr4UXd1cnBI6OPyWfhac1TQ3DZLQ_hrmjCrQpIITj7bNrv6wWTIEaIqiR1A5Xu67KR2923qgy5wADh0dSyIAzOak5dnY6ShbPmIkJkzPdfEQBIz0iLML4V=w640-h426

Build and aesthetics…

First, as both are the same, the cable. The cable is a thin black cable that is reminiscent of those that were included with earlier KZ models. There is nothing really wrong with the cable, it is a basic cable that serves it’s purpose but won’t be winning any prizes.

Now the IEMs, which are actually different, well… sort of. The shapes are identical, the size is identical and the only difference (apart from colour) is a small slope on the faceplate of the Emerald, which you can probably see in the photo above.

There is lees than a gram difference in weight, so I would have thought that the lightweight design would have been a feature of the Emerald also but, I guess the selected Dynamic Driver was more appealing.

There seem to be no obvious build issues or flaws, at least at this price point, and I got the Melody in clear so I can actually see the inside. I am certainly not going to pick faults with it as it is a sub 20€ IEM, so as long as it has no obvious flaws, that is fine with me.

I will say that I prefer the look of the Emerald, in my case in blue but also available in green, as I think it looks a little better while hiding the internals (only on the top, the back is still transparent so you can see the driver capsule.

As far as comfort, I have to say that I experienced some issues with these IEMs (remember they are both identical. On the top part of the inside they have something that is kind of like a rubber lip. This actually puts pressure on the inside of my ear and became rather uncomfortable after an hour or so. I found that I couldn’t wear them for longer than that without discomfort, so my sessions have been intermittent. Comfort is obviously a very personal thing and I have no idea if this will affect other people also but I can only speak for myself.

One other thing I noticed was that the tips included have a kind of channel around them, near the tip. I have no idea what this was supposed to do, if anything, but I found the tips to provide a decent sound and comfort that wasn’t bad either, so my sound impressions are with the stock tips.

AVvXsEjjNykZ_fwhPgn7JrKc5xNA6qVPaksnZ7Zu53Zjq1V6bbrK_KKD_NoyLR8B1VBcCzdTKcnThxY_1KgE1KRn3ZA22GPbVPXE54gp9MN5ey7O9yPj4mkVAilPmz8rT1YCGQ3GyulAcw0fUDD2fRXdnAYhnp53N9b-XehKld2t0EJE9COn7p_Z8-XbwbuI=w640-h426

Sound…

So, onto the part where things are a little different, with the emphasis being on “little”.

First let me say that I started off with the Emerald and found that the sound signature was quite pleasant. I didn’t immediately pick up any specific flaws and found that I was quite happily listening to my music while working. If it hadn't been for that hot spot I mentioned in comfort, I would have easily listened to these IEMs all day.

The Melody was also a pleasant enough listen but I found it to lack a bit of body and fullness in comparison to the Emerald. I will mention a little more as I go through the usual frequency groups.

Starting with the subbass, the Emerald has a nice extension with good presence but without being overpowering in any way. Low notes are clear and articulate but do not give the impression of being overly boosted. For example, a song like “Royals” by Lorde proves to have enough in the subbass regions to appreciate what is going on down there but when passing over to something more acoustical, the Emerald don’t suddenly add weight at the low end that shouldn’t be there.

In comparison, the Melody is quite a bit thinner on the low end. There is still a presence of subbass, enough to appreciate the tracks, but it is not as full as the Emerald in this regard. I suppose one could argue that it is cleaner but to be honest, the Emerald is not exactly dirty in its subbass reproduction.

Honestly, I could live with the subbass on either of these two sets but my guess would be that the majority of people would opt for the subbass on the Emerald over the Melody.

Moving into the mid and higher bass territory, the situation is repeated. The Melody is very clean and is by no means overly boosted. It presents bass lines with nice articulation, making it easy to appreciate all kinds of bass lines, from Led Zeppelin's “Whole Lotta Love” through to “All Eyez on Me” by 2Pac.

However, moving back to the Emerald, the clean and articulated sound of the bass lines is still just as present, with just a little more presence. I mean, there is not a huge dB difference between the bass on the Melody and the Emerald, but it is noticeable and in my opinion, the Emerald makes it seem a little fuller, with more body. Again, as my preferences usually move towards the neutral side of things in the bass regions, one would think that the Melody would have the upper hand, but again I find that both are good, just that the extra body of the Emerald makes music seem a little more lively.

Moving into the mids, these are also quite pleasurable. There is no real recess in the mids, however, as the Emerald does have that little extra in bass, the mids can seem slightly further back. The difference is not huge and this is only really noticeable on tracks with a lot of bass, such as “Chameleon” or “Sun Is Shining” etc. I think I would again choose the Emerald for the mids as I like that little extra roundness of the low end with the majority of my music. Maybe on occasions where bass is very present in a track, again, such as “Chameleon”, then maybe I would opt for the mids from the Melody but the majority of the music I listen to is not overly boosted in the low end.

Vocals come across very nicely on both sets, with enough presence and clarity to make the majority of my music very enjoyable. There is a nice balance throughout the vocal ranges of both male and female singers, with tracks like “Billie Jean” by The Civil Wars being well balanced between both voices and without either becoming overly harsh. In the case of vocals, I think both sets are very similar, except for a little extra weight in the lowest ranges of very deep male vocals. There were a few brief occasions where I noticed a little harshness in some of the higher mids of specific voices but it was a very rare occurrence and very much dependent on a specific note in a specific recording.

Up in the higher ranges, both sets offer a decent amount of air and extension, without being overly sibilant. There is a slight touch of sibilance on my usual “Code Cool” test track, not enough to be painful but certainly a little bit more that I would choose. The Emerald seems to be slightly better in this regard but not by a huge amount. The extension is also very similar on both with the Melody perhaps seeming to be more airy due to that slight touch more presence in these frequency ranges.

As far as stage and image placement, I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by these IEMs. Listening to “Strange Fruit” by Dominique Fils-Aimé, the multiple vocals are nicely spaced and the layers are easily identified. Of course these are still IEMs but they are above the averageness I have come to expect from the majority. I think that the Melody gives a sensation of being slightly wider, however the Emerald makes the layers sound a little smoother and more “locked in” with each other, although the differences are minimal.

AVvXsEi63eycYP5_fL2PSlYxiyzizbEHJm89qInOlVVHAT1cnQy64QPwPpOJkQ6nroeX-vaMprTrCB8umtonyVEizZwSsGOPOTdDHuqxzvUBZCVejOGE2EL5_LIGw-bTL5YVHDDwE1hoF2hLHX8xC8HeYXir_LtRwvSs0zDAd_NGfKuz4svT-qG7B7KfjEdf=w640-h426

Conclusion…

I have been pleasantly surprised by these offerings from CCZ for their price bracket. They are very coherent and enjoyable IEMs. It is a shame that the comfort doesn’t work for me, meaning that I can't listen to them for extended periods of time. By the end of the tests and comparisons, my ears really did feel painful.

As far as the actual sound signatures, I think I would choose the Emerald over the melody. I know this sounds strange, me choosing the bassier set of the two, but I feel that it just ties everything in together a little better, giving an overall roundness to the presentation.

To be totally honest, I think that either of these sets is a good buy for the 20€ asking price, but the Emerald is just slightly more refined and a better deal.
Do you have tried DQ6 or Tanya?
How it is compared to them?

Oct 17, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #29,018 of 31,833
Do you have tried DQ6 or Tanya?
How it is compared to them?

Not as dark as the Tanya, a little more air up top. Highs are also smoother than on the DQ6 unless you do the foam/filter mod on the DQ6.

Oct 17, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #29,019 of 31,833
And then there's me who doesn't seem to notice ANY difference whatsoever on my BL-03 while rolling sources besides how loud it can be driven.

Even the weakest source, my cellphone, drives it far louder than I'll ever need with no audible brickwalling and certainly no audible changes to the driver properties.

My laptop is perhaps my worst source so far. More power than cellphone, but introduces audible hissing... On the BL-03 of all things.

I ordered the Apple USB-C dongle becuase it's so dirt cheap it's just worth a single meal, maybe even less. Right?

Rolling cables also has done absolutely nothing for my ears so far besides my Tripowin Zonie being orders of magnitude more comfortable than stock cable. You'd think 0.9Ω for the stock cable and 0.3Ω for the Zonie would matter or that the Zonie is silver plated while stock is who knows what.

I'd like to emphasize "my ears" while I say all of this... Guess I'm no audiophile after all.

On the other hand I've greatly modded them using dried disinfecting wipes ( no actual polyester fiberfill so this is what I had to work with). Both the nozzle and the eartips, and these are surprisingly effective... Maybe sometimes too effective.
Between directly to my laptop and iPhone with Apple Dongle I couldn't quite see the difference when listening with my BL03s. Once I tried the Sonata HD Pro I noticed some subtle differences. Like better treble, more details. For bass I can't tell any difference.

I wonder though if Sonata HD Pro would be enough if I decide to upgrade from the BL03. Considering Kato, Hana 2021, Mangird Tea, Mele atm.

Oct 17, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #29,020 of 31,833
upgrade from the BL03. Considering Kato, Hana 2021, Mangird Tea, Mele atm.
If you want an upgrade to the BL03, the Sony XBA-N3 is the one to get.

Oct 17, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #29,021 of 31,833
And then there's me who doesn't seem to notice ANY difference whatsoever on my BL-03 while rolling sources besides how loud it can be driven.

Even the weakest source, my cellphone, drives it far louder than I'll ever need with no audible brickwalling and certainly no audible changes to the driver properties.

My laptop is perhaps my worst source so far. More power than cellphone, but introduces audible hissing... On the BL-03 of all things.

I ordered the Apple USB-C dongle becuase it's so dirt cheap it's just worth a single meal, maybe even less. Right?

Rolling cables also has done absolutely nothing for my ears so far besides my Tripowin Zonie being orders of magnitude more comfortable than stock cable. You'd think 0.9Ω for the stock cable and 0.3Ω for the Zonie would matter or that the Zonie is silver plated while stock is who knows what.

I'd like to emphasize "my ears" while I say all of this... Guess I'm no audiophile after all.

On the other hand I've greatly modded them using dried disinfecting wipes ( no actual polyester fiberfill so this is what I had to work with). Both the nozzle and the eartips, and these are surprisingly effective... Maybe sometimes too effective.
I'll try my Blon BL-03 with few sources.

Regarding my post about E44 and the bit comparison with CXPro, I forgot to mention that I use Foobar + WASAPI on Wndows 10 notebook with powerful docking power supply on properly grounded electricity.

Oct 17, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #29,022 of 31,833
Between directly to my laptop and iPhone with Apple Dongle I couldn't quite see the difference when listening with my BL03s. Once I tried the Sonata HD Pro I noticed some subtle differences. Like better treble, more details. For bass I can't tell any difference.

I wonder though if Sonata HD Pro would be enough if I decide to upgrade from the BL03. Considering Kato, Hana 2021, Mangird Tea, Mele atm.
Yeah, I also notice a more refined treble and a tonal change with external DACs. I don't think its because of more output power, but the result of their chip and circuits. I personally think is so minimal difference and so unpractical, wish phone manufacturers didn't abandon phones having 3.5mm connector

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #29,023 of 31,833
Oct 17, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #29,024 of 31,833
Anyone know of a good IEM for music production? I have spent a while searching but can't find an answer. I have the KZ ZSN Pro but I don't think they will be suitable for making music at home. KZ market their ATE for studio use, but they are cheaper than expected. Somone else recommended their AS10 but the sales page doesn't mention "studio".

Anyone know if these or something else would be better? I would rather keep the price under $50, especially as I will be using headphones most of the time. I know I should use monitor speakers but that's not possible at this time (travel).

I will send KZ a message now too and update here.

Thanks

Oct 17, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #29,025 of 31,833
Anyone know of a good IEM for music production? I have spent a while searching but can't find an answer. I have the KZ ZSN Pro but I don't think they will be suitable for making music at home. KZ market their ATE for studio use, but they are cheaper than expected. Somone else recommended their AS10 but the sales page doesn't mention "studio".

Anyone know if these or something else would be better? I would rather keep the price under $50, especially as I will be using headphones most of the time. I know I should use monitor speakers but that's not possible at this time (travel).

I will send KZ a message now too and update here.

Thanks
I think the Etymotic ER2SE can be had for @ $60-80 USD. Sound quality plus studio tuning (for real not marketing BS).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back