CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 11, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #28,981 of 31,833
Feeling retro today....and damn, they still hold their ground after all this year! And guess what, it's still selling too.
URBANFUN HYBRID-30$
Crisp airy W shape, the sub bass have good slam...didnt remind it was that bassy lol
Female vocal are very addictive, crisp,clean and transparent.
Timbre is on the thin side but realist nonetheless.
Treble is excellent, sparkly, extended yet delicate and spacious.
It make 8 years I own them, they still wow me with their technicalities.
1633964473854.png

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #28,982 of 31,833
Is there an additional '0' there or you really claim this? I'd like to hear more about it.
I am 100% serious.

The DQ6 is like a mini FD5 in its soundstage.

Although I would use it with the tanchjim filters (O2 or Hana). As they tame the treble peaks.

graph - 2021-10-11T170252.035.png

Oct 11, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #28,984 of 31,833
I just got Prometheus tonight, listening now, and I love it. I'm using $2,600 worth of DAP and cable (8wire), but they sound better than I expected. And I think better than the blon 3. Cant wait till they burn in...
Edit: Been listening for 2.5 hours now, and definitly better than blon 3, much better bass. Out of head soundstage. Listening to Rush, and I know these aren't perfect, so I can just relax and enjoy them! They are a very slamming with mild imperfections, but the imperfections for me are part of the charm. Listening to Rush, I can crank them up just enough to let my ears bleed. Ithink stock cable is a bottleneck. I think these would scale well with higher end gear. Not the greatest resolution. I get layering and texture. Guitars come in like sandpaper on intro to Finding My Way... The bass is a little bloated, but I suspect that will clear up a little with burn in. The highs I like, and the bass, tho bloated, is layered and has good slam to me.

20211011_210556_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #28,985 of 31,833
Since we're at the beginning of a new week, I have an interesting question for you: Do you believe in burn-in? I always treated it as a grey zone. On this subject, today's review will be about ddHifi Janus from DDHiFi!! This one is interesting because when I first heard it, it sounded rather bright and lacked bass, only to then turn into a full bashed earphone the more I listened to it.

Whether it was burn-in, me adjusting to it, it happened fast, within a few hours of listening. At any rate, this is a comfortable IEM, with good overall build, two cable sockets, both MMCX and 2-Pin, and great detail + resolution.

If you have questions, I'm around to help ~

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/10/ddhifi-janus-iems-two-faced-soldier.html

I think brain burn in is real, it takes time for you to adapt to new IEM.

That being said, back then when i first time bought kz zs5, it sibilant and piercing like crazy. There is often time that literally i went "ow! " When using zs5.
But over time, not sure whether the driver burn in or i get used to it, its not as piercing.
Its still fatiguing to listen, but its not as hurt to listen.

And lcp driver for aria is a weird thing as well, lower resonance on male vocal is missing on first few days of using aria.
While its not as full as my other iem, over time i could hear slightly more lower resonance on male vocal.

Oct 11, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #28,986 of 31,833
Since we're at the beginning of a new week, I have an interesting question for you: Do you believe in burn-in? I always treated it as a grey zone. On this subject, today's review will be about ddHifi Janus from DDHiFi!! This one is interesting because when I first heard it, it sounded rather bright and lacked bass, only to then turn into a full bashed earphone the more I listened to it.

Whether it was burn-in, me adjusting to it, it happened fast, within a few hours of listening. At any rate, this is a comfortable IEM, with good overall build, two cable sockets, both MMCX and 2-Pin, and great detail + resolution.

If you have questions, I'm around to help ~

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/10/ddhifi-janus-iems-two-faced-soldier.html

dd-Hifi-Janus-Sky-Cable-IEMs-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-IEMs-Modular-06.jpg
Burn-in never transforms a mediocre IEM into a good one, but it can make the drivers more flexible sometimes...which is more about bass part becoming more elastic and articulated...when it can.
I don't believe in 200H burn-in though as you encounter with your Janus...it take about 10-50H max to settle from my experience.
Brain burn is more commun than mecanical burn in, but still, diaphragm are glued to voice coil support and need to settle some time.Their alot going on in a DD driver....for BA, that's something else, but the diaphragm might gain in flexibility speed too with time...or loose it...
1634005591914.png

1634005680011.png

Oct 11, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #28,987 of 31,833
Burn-in never transforms a mediocre IEM into a good one, but it can make the drivers more flexible sometimes...which is more about bass part becoming more elastic and articulated...when it can.
I don't believe in 200H burn-in though as you encounter with your Janus...it take about 10-50H max to settle from my experience.
Brain burn is more commun than mecanical burn in, but still, diaphragm are glued to voice coil support and need to settle some time.Their alot going on in a DD driver....for BA, that's something else, but the diaphragm might gain in flexibility speed too with time...or loose it...
1634005591914.png
1634005680011.png

Actually I see a lot of manufacturers claiming a burn in of 100 - 200 hours is needed to let the IEM sound optimal.

Sounds (no pun intended) like a scheme to distract the consumer in case they don't like the sound OOTB? Like they burn in 200 hours and a new hypetrain comes in the mail within that period, or the returns policy is over after 200 hours hahaha. I mean burn in for a few hours is okay, but agree that a 100 - 200 hours burn in isn't gonna make a night and day difference.

Oct 11, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #28,988 of 31,833
Iv'e burned DAPS to 400 hours with no regrets. IEM's usually about 200 hours... maybe more. Cables, usually 100-150 hours?

Oct 12, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #28,992 of 31,833
1634005591914.png
1634005680011.png

That's pretty much what I experienced too actually, it didn't take hundreds of hours, rather around 5-10 or so for them to sound good (?)

I'm sorry if I left the impressions it took more time (?)

Oct 12, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #28,993 of 31,833
Does burning daps make a difference in sq?

It's better to remain agnostic about such claims. Even if they sound really unlikely, and if another explanation might exist, it is still possible that some people may be sensitive enough to grok a difference after burning in stuff.

Oct 12, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #28,994 of 31,833
Yeah, they say its something with the capacitors...but the sound polishes and tightens up.

Oct 12, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #28,995 of 31,833

Having reviewed over 300 products to date...

Have never noticed any burn-in difference for DAPs nor any company claiming I should do it before reviewing / taking final impressions.

But I had multiple requests for burn-in even for IEMs.

It is quite probable that the brain is the one doing it for the most part, but still it is good practice to do it if recommended so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back