CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 4, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #26,581 of 31,833
My SSP's came in Monday along with a set of SSR's for my wife. I'm breaking in the SSR's right now and I will say this... the sound does change in the first 100 hours and then slightly smooths out for the next 50 to where it settles. This is an absolutely true fact as it happened with mine as it's happening now with my wife's.

Once done, they are neither bright nor harsh nor thin BUT they are FORWARD sounding and natural. You are sitting front and center stage...first row. Picture yourself sitting in a room listening to some speakers. You are 10ft back lets say. Some speakers will present the soundstage as being in the middle of the room in front of you and probably a tad narrow because of that. Now some speakers will spread themselves across the back wall behind them... very spread out and wide but further away. One like an arena sound the other like an small coffee shop setting. The SSR's are the front table at the coffee shop.

They are intimate and as many said they are not for loud volumes. They are very transparent... feed them crap and they will sound like it... ie really bad 80's recordings LOL!! But they will absolutely shine on pretty much anything else.

I think the bass is at a perfect level for what they are trying to achieve. I have not even taken the SSP's out of the box yet to compare but I have a playlist all ready to go!!

I stated before... one of the best bang items in audio I have ever come across in 35 years of being in the game.

Dec 4, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #26,582 of 31,833
My thoughts exactly... if I were HPZ i would take advantage of the situation but sadly they need a lesson or two about demand and supply :ksc75smile::smirk:

Totally. Either this or their procurement scale is so low that they only keep 5-10 pieces per product in inventory. They can easily create a niche for them by offering competitive pricing and maintain a decent inventory.

Dec 4, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #26,584 of 31,833
If they have the financial resources to obtain that inventory. I'm sure it would not be cheap at first.

If they procure stuff in bulk from China I'm sure their margins will be fantastic despite selling them competitively. For TOTL level gear, I agree it's a huge investment and in a market like India it would be a hard sell and a dead investment which will block monies.

Dec 4, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #26,587 of 31,833
I'm still debating on these. Like the resin and the purple color, but not Like I Need another iem.. Sigh

I actually have those purple resin buds you mentioned. They look great, and the cable is nice as well! Are they worth $20? Yeah if you like the built and accessories, or just a nice looking beater set. The overall sound is on the relaxed side. Good passive isolation and sufficient bass, the mid is slightly pushed back, and not super detailed in my opinion. There ain't anything wrong with it, but probably wouldn't wow many of us either.

Dec 5, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #26,589 of 31,833
Is there anything in the $25-$30 range that has some good bass ?
I need something for work and I don't want to put a lot of money in them as they will be getting roughed up a bit.
Thanks for any info.

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #26,590 of 31,833
Is there anything in the $25-$30 range that has some good bass ?
I need something for work and I don't want to put a lot of money in them as they will be getting roughed up a bit.
Thanks for any info.
KBEAR KS2 should suit you.

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #26,591 of 31,833
Dec 5, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #26,592 of 31,833
Have you the NFaudio NM2+? If so, how did they compare?? I'm curious about a comparison with the HZsound Mirror too, because it have crrazy fast transient response for a sub-50$ DD iem.

Is there an HZsound thread here? I keep hearing about them, especially the Heart Monitor, and it's piqued my curiosity.

EDIT: I guess it's called Heart Mirror, "Heart Monitor," lol.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #26,593 of 31,833
Is there an HZsound thread here? I keep hearing about them, especially the Heart Monitor, and it's piqued my curiosity.

EDIT: I guess it's called Heart Mirror, "Heart Monitor," lol.

Nope there isn't a HZSound thread as far as I'm aware. We can create a thread though if you are keen, so far we have been discussing it here and a bit on the Chinese brands and Discovery threads. I think this brand did have prior releases, but this Heart Mirror really gets my vote for best sub $100 single DD this year.
It is quite a niche tuning and a hidden gem, I do hope that as more people try it, they will get the recognition they deserve. Oh ya, u need an amp with it, sounds meh from a smartphone only.

HZSound Heart Mirror pros/cons (TLDR):

Pros

Beautiful shell. Light and comfortable. Good build.
Fast transients.
Good details, clarity, imaging, instrument separation for a budget single DD.
Neutral bright tuning with very few instances of hot upper mids/lower treble.
Very good timbre for vocals and acoustic instruments. Good for vocal lovers.
Good price to performance ratio.
Generous accessories.

Cons:
Shells are fingerprint magnets, can be scratched too.
Bass lite, lacks midbass punch (good news is that it takes to bass EQ well).
Average soundstage height/depth when not amped.
Will need amping to perform optimally.
Thin note weight.

Dec 5, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #26,595 of 31,833
It does sound interesting. I understand that you've been using it for classical?

Maybe we don't need a dedicated thread, as long as people post interesting HZ they've found here.

I use it mainly for vocal tracks and classical/jazz yes. As it has excellent timbre for vocals and acoustic instruments. I've really heard some fine nuances in vocals that I've not heard in most sub $100 sets. But the best part is that it doesn't sound sibilant or harsh for vocals despite the forward upper frequencies. A lot of CHIFI verge into shouty territory when overly boosting this area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back