CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 2, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #26,058 of 31,867
Do you happen to know the output impedance of the Walnut F2? Does it hiss with high sensitivity IEMs? TIA!!!

When I got home from work this afternoon, I opened my F2, and made some measurements.
For the 3.5mm TRS headphone output, there are 10-Ω resistors between the op-amps and the jack.
For the 2.5mm TRRS headphone output, there are no resistors between the Differential Line Drivers and the jack.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #26,059 of 31,867
The Chinese IEM bug always bites me around this time a year.
Originally wanted to try the BL05s, but couldn't resist jumping on the Tin T2 Plus since I somehow got them for only 35$ on Ali thanks to a coupon. Can't wait to try them out.

Only thing I'm worried about are the MMCX connections since my cables on the original T2 have been breaking left and right while I never had any issues with 2-pin.

My Tin T2 Plus has a wonky MMCX on one side, it is loose and the IEM spins 360 degrees on it (no sound cut out though).

Previously Tin T4 also had MMCX issues, so it is kinda sad these problems are still present in the Tin T2 Plus. I saw that Tin's latest P2 and their upcoming new DD set come with 2 pin connectors, so I hope the penny has finally dropped regarding their MMCX connectors.

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #26,060 of 31,867
Oct 3, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #26,061 of 31,867
When I got home from work this afternoon, I opened my F2, and made some measurements.
For the 3.5mm TRS headphone output, there are 10Ω resistors between the op-amps and the jack.
For the 2.5mm TRRS headphone output, there are no resistors between the Differential Line Drivers and the jack.

While I had my F2 open to make measurement, I went ahead and changed the 8x 10-Ω resistors to 2-Ω resistors.
If you haven't looked closely at the F2 circuitry, you won't realize that for the 3.5mm TRS headphone output, they're driving (L+) and (R+) with 4 op-amp channels each.
On the bottom of the circuit board, there are 4 dual-channel op-amps (the JRC4580 in mine have been replaced with MUSES8920E) - both channels of 2 of them drive (L+) in parallel, and both channels of 2 of them drive (R+) in parallel, which means the Single-Ended output of the F2 has quite a bit of current driving capability.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #26,062 of 31,867
My Tin T2 Plus has a wonky MMCX on one side, it is loose and the IEM spins 360 degrees on it (no sound cut out though).

Previously Tin T4 also had MMCX issues, so it is kinda sad these problems are still present in the Tin T2 Plus. I saw that Tin's latest P2 and their upcoming new DD set come with 2 pin connectors, so I hope the penny has finally dropped regarding their MMCX connectors.
For the aesthetics (black KZ ZAX Fiio FH3, black JVC HA-FD01 stock cable) I added a Nitrile Rubber O-Ring (4mm OD 2mm ID 1mm Width) to fill the gap. The o-ring also firmed up the ability to spin the earpiece.

FH3 o-ring.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #26,063 of 31,867
I'm a noob when it comes to Walnut stuff. Can you explain how to use the F2 as a pure dac/amp or just amp for IEMs, etc? I mainly listen to music streamed from my PC.

To use it as amp -

Turn on power
Connect your music player/phone/source via 3.5mm line out port
Your IEM in power out port (Balanced or 3.5mm basis your IEM connector)

Detailed guide is listed on the product details page on AliExpress. Attaching it here for your reference, hope it helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_AliExpress_20201003-191938.png
    Screenshot_AliExpress_20201003-191938.png
    424.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_AliExpress_20201003-191912.png
    Screenshot_AliExpress_20201003-191912.png
    448.3 KB · Views: 0
Oct 3, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #26,064 of 31,867

I am also facing this exact issue with my right ear piece. Same happened with my T2 Pro as well. I am pondering of getting a replacement, although it maybe some task to convince the seller

Oct 3, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #26,065 of 31,867
I am also facing this exact issue with my right ear piece. Same happened with my T2 Pro as well. I am pondering of getting a replacement, although it maybe some task to convince the seller

Convincing them is one thing. If you bought this from Aliexpress, the shipping return costs will probably cost the same as the Tin T2 Plus itself, so not worth the hassle. Just leave a cable on it permanently, maybe u can tape the cable on also.

I'll probably not get any more Tin HIFI products which use MMCX connectors after this. In my book, they are in the same category as Urbanfun in terms of MMCX QC. A pity as the Tin T2 Plus sounds good. But it is nice to see the newer Tin HIFI gear uses 2 pin connectors, so I suspect they are aware of their MMCX problems. Maybe I'll give them another chance if reviews for their 2 pin gear is good, though the Tin P2 is way overpriced currently at launch price.

Oct 3, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #26,066 of 31,867

@baskingshark, I didn’t know you got the T2+. How do you like it (other than the MMCX connector)?

“Favourite IEMs for home setup (alphabetically arranged): BLON BL-03, BLON Cardinal, Final Audio E3000, HZSound Heart Mirror, KBEAR Diamond, NiceHCK M6 [BGVP Filter], Oriveti New Primacy, TFZ Tequila 1, Toneking Nine Tails, TRI I3, TRI Starsea

Would you happen to have already received the Starsea?:wink:

Oct 3, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #26,067 of 31,867
@baskingshark, I didn’t know you got the T2+. How do you like it (other than the MMCX connector)?

“Favourite IEMs for home setup (alphabetically arranged): BLON BL-03, BLON Cardinal, Final Audio E3000, HZSound Heart Mirror, KBEAR Diamond, NiceHCK M6 [BGVP Filter], Oriveti New Primacy, TFZ Tequila 1, Toneking Nine Tails, TRI I3, TRI Starsea

Would you happen to have already received the Starsea?:wink:

Yep I just got the Starsea, will drop a quick impressions in the TRI thread soon, still checking out the flip switches.

Ya Tin T2 Plus is actually very good sounding, rather coherent and does everything quite well. May not be the best in terms of technical performance, but it is definitely very good in timbre, tonality and price to performance ratio.

Oct 3, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #26,068 of 31,867
To use it as amp -

Turn on power
Connect your music player/phone/source via 3.5mm line out port
Your IEM in power out port (Balanced or 3.5mm basis your IEM connector)

Detailed guide is listed on the product details page on AliExpress. Attaching it here for your reference, hope it helps.

Thanks much!

Oct 3, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #26,069 of 31,867
Convincing them is one thing. If you bought this from Aliexpress, the shipping return costs will probably cost the same as the Tin T2 Plus itself, so not worth the hassle. Just leave a cable on it permanently, maybe u can tape the cable on also.

I'll probably not get any more Tin HIFI products which use MMCX connectors after this. In my book, they are in the same category as Urbanfun in terms of MMCX QC. A pity as the Tin T2 Plus sounds good. But it is nice to see the newer Tin HIFI gear uses 2 pin connectors, so I suspect they are aware of their MMCX problems. Maybe I'll give them another chance if reviews for their 2 pin gear is good, though the Tin P2 is way overpriced currently at launch price.

Totally agree with your points. In fact, most of the budget Chi-Fi IEMs have mmcx connectors issue. I'll mostly avoid them in future in sub $100 price bracket.

Oct 3, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #26,070 of 31,867
Totally agree with your points. In fact, most of the budget Chi-Fi IEMs have mmcx connectors issue. I'll mostly avoid them in future in sub $100 price bracket.

My T2 Plus connectors are still fine, but I honestly do baby these IEMs and have never swapped cables. On balance, basic 2 pin is still where it's at (especially with reports of the plastic section of QDC connectors shattering and everything)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back