Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 2, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #181 of 8,232
Maybe it's again related to the mysteries of external tuning or something. I added this as a step, restarting the player after applying the external tuning.

Is it OK to revert back to stock 1Z? Or are we supposed to put it on top of 1A\1Z+ or 1A\1Z++? I became confused by reading the quote I posted?
19510C96-224A-4D9E-A86A-ABA33548CA6C.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #182 of 8,232
Is it OK to revert back to stock 1Z? Or are we supposed to put it on top of 1A\1Z+ or 1A\1Z++? I became confused by reading the quote I posted?

It doesn't matter if you are on the stock firmware or on another modded firmware, as long as the model is WM1A or WM1Z (talking about people using some old model changers).

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #183 of 8,232
It doesn't matter if you are on the stock firmware or on another modded firmware, as long as the model is WM1A or WM1Z (talking about people using some old model changers).

Thank-you. I’ll be writing a couple pages about this new juice......someday! It’s incredible, I’m beside myself. My Wife is mad I’m ignoring her even?

This firmware could be trouble?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #184 of 8,232
Thank-you. I’ll be writing a couple pages about this new juice......someday! It’s incredible, I’m beside myself. My Wife is mad I’m ignoring her even?

Told ya. This thing is heaven! Woohoo! Without a doubt, the TOTL and even if something “better” in the future is released, I’m sticking with the 1A and 1Z for many years to come. :)

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #185 of 8,232

Haha, this is funny, poor wife :sweat_smile: Don't be selfish, give her a listen :ksc75smile:

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #186 of 8,232
I just recently loaded Chamaeleon and can’t wait to give DMP a shot. This may be outside of your scope or desire, but is there any possibility to change the Album sort order from alphabetical to sort by Year (this has been my biggest minor annoyance since I picked up my 1A)

You can do that by adding the AlbumSortOrder tag to your files and in that specify something like <year> <title> and then it will sort the albums basedon this tag but display the title tag. Just be aware that there seems to be confusion about the name of this tag since somebody used one name and that does not work for me but the name I use did not work for them

Oct 2, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #187 of 8,232
Oct 2, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #189 of 8,232
Wow, what an update!!! I cannot stop listening now with this FW! A bunch of Beers is coming up your way! Cheers!!!!!

Thanks, man! :beers: I really appreciate it, and I'm glad you like it. It's indeed something!

Oct 2, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #190 of 8,232
Yea that gap is so damn close that I can hardly tell a difference. But when I hear it vs the 1A in stock, there is definitely a jump. It is AMAZING how much the gap has closed from the the 1Z to the DMP-Z1!! WOW!!

6D4F2056-4AB9-46C5-9DE4-2293CDBE4C7A.jpeg

Whats closest? 1z or 1a with dmp fw to the real Dmp-z1?

Oct 2, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #191 of 8,232
Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #192 of 8,232
02334C2F-CDC3-4E5B-81EA-BF797ED09AA5.jpeg
CA79431D-307E-40C7-9489-0A17FF92B451.jpeg

So I can kinda give an interpretation now. And...... I like you only have past experience for reference and hand holds....so that’s what I’ll use.

At the beginning there was a placement on my 1A which created a tone using 1A/1Z+ where the midrange had an incredible crunch and definition. It was so very good, I thought the 1A became better than the 1Z. In fact the 1Z became almost worthless due to this very special 1A tone. Now the 1Z was no slouch, it just didn’t have this thing. You would have to be me and hear this thing to fully get what I’m trying to write as words can only go so far to describe a sound. But......let’s just say it was this really fast reacting pace which went to make transients this bewildering magical phenomenon. So much so that you may play a single song 3 times just to witness this thing. This is why I’ve explained why these firmwares have been the most exciting thing for me in audio the last 10 years. It was just a vehicle to go to the next level. A level which I could never get to before no matter how much money I foolishly tossed out the car window to try and get to.

So now here we are and the next level has been achieved. This is most likely the last level. And if it truly is then we are lucky because we have reached the end of the progression and labor. To not know when your at the end of the quests journey is to not appreciate the goal that was attempted.

So now what “this” 1Z tone is. And by the way this has the best of drama and intrigue due to the parts of tone which were left out in the short past history yet not revealed until this point in time.

The 1Z has now been integrated with that 1A special tone. It’s not different but exactly that 1A tone, yet it’s now been surrounded by more.

What more you ask?

The 1Z tone. But...... fully integrated together into this natural and wildly exciting perfection! It has been puzzle pieces which were seen at times but never fully put together to form the picture in whole, yet now complete.

I’m going to carry on now..............

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #193 of 8,232
I think people will hate me for this, but I will be honest. I think for 1Z Romi modded, Gear of War different DMP fw version is better. Not to diss Mr Walkman DMP fw version. Its really good, but I think its more suitable towards original 1Z/1A.

My regular 1Z with modded internal cable has Mr Walkman DMP version while Romi 1Z has your/GoW DMP version. I tried loading Mr Walkman DMP into Romi modded version, but I dont really like it. I use same songs to compare and fw switched back and forth.

Mr Walman DMP fw on 1Z/1A is very good, notes pop out. Very clear and coherent. Its suitable for original 1A/1Z. Now the bad things; not necessarily bad, just improvements( compared to Gow flawed DMP fw); music sounds lighter, there's still limit to height and depth. Notes pop out but sounds light. There's impact but not hard enough( at least to my ears).

Meanwhile, using GoW DMP version on 1Z Romi mod, there's very high/ almost no limit to ceiling/height and depth. As we know, Mr Walkman fw make the soundstage really wide. So what does this mean? This creates a 3D spherical stage. It creates amazing ambience, like you are really inside the room, the stage, the studio, the theater etc. I am there in that real place at that moment, listening to the singer perform; I can't see the location but can hear them in my soul. Another difference, since 1Z Romi mod used BG caps, every note has much greater weight, emotions of singers flow freely through their voices, bass hits harder and deeper (compared to latest DMP iteration). I'm using EE Phamtom and Sony Kimber cable (Its a muddy sounding cable, but its special property is it adds 3D ambience to iems by huge amount. Mr Walkman FW cleared up the muddyness of Phantom and Kimber cable/ like 95% to 99% I think; and on seperate note, I highly recommend this cable, its highly misunderstood but special cable).

Sorry, my mind is all over the place right now, can't write coherently at 5 am. The difference between Mr. Walkman DMP version is that it sounds like I'm listening to a very good recording of songs while GoW DMP version is like I'm listening live to the performance of the song in that venue, wherever that is. Am I dissing? none at all. What I'm saying is, things can be improved. How? I'm not a technical mumbo jumbo person, but by adding more weight to the notes, increase height and weight/depth to the stage. Bass more impact. Not sure if this is even possible. But those that have Sony Nayparm mod or done their own cap mods/ or have Romi mod, try GoW DMP version please. I think it should work as well since Kaisei is very close to BG caps. Its special. I don't know how this is even possible, since Mr Walkman and others are saying it not technically possible, but my ears don't lie. I can't resolve the discrepancies. Maybe discussing with the expert like Mr Walkman and others and see if its possible for them to hear what I hear. Maybe something good can come out of it

But this is just one person opinion. I can feel the flame on my butt already. Spare me please :L3000: :dt880smile:
I'm quite surprised that you like my version better still up until this point, I'm glad that you really enjoy it. Tbh, I have been using whitigir version ever since as it's more suitable for my gears. If you want to share it to members on here, feel free to do it.

Oct 2, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #194 of 8,232
02334C2F-CDC3-4E5B-81EA-BF797ED09AA5.jpegCA79431D-307E-40C7-9489-0A17FF92B451.jpeg

So I can kinda give an interpretation now. And...... I like you only have past experience for reference and hand holds....so that’s what I’ll use.

At the beginning there was a placement on my 1A which created a tone using 1A/1Z+ where the midrange had an incredible crunch and definition. It was so very good, I thought the 1A became better than the 1Z. In fact the 1Z became almost worthless due to this very special 1A tone. Now the 1Z was no slouch, it just didn’t have this thing. You would have to be me and hear this thing to fully get what I’m trying to write as words can only go so far to describe a sound. But......let’s just say it was this really fast reacting pace which went to make transients this bewildering magical phenomenon. So much so that you may play a single song 3 times just to witness this thing. This is why I’ve explained why these firmwares have been the most exciting thing for me in audio the last 10 years. It was just a vehicle to go to the next level. A level which I could never get to before no matter how much money I foolishly tossed out the car window to try and get to.

So now here we are and the next level has been achieved. This is most likely the last level. And if it truly is then we are lucky because we have reached the end of the progression and labor. To not know when your at the quests journey is to not appreciate the goal that was attempted.

So now what “this” 1Z tone is. And by the way this has the best of drama and intrigue due to the parts of tone which were left out in the short past history yet not revealed until this point in time.

The 1Z has now been integrated with that 1A special tone. It’s not different but exactly that 1A tone, yet it’s now been surrounded by more.

What more you ask.

The 1Z tone. But...... fully integrated together into this natural and wildly exciting perfection!

I’m going to carry on now..............
x2. And boy is my wallet happy for it. Amen!

Oct 2, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #195 of 8,232
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back