CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 1, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #26,042 of 31,867
Or you can use Walnut F2. It can drive anything in IEM space and in full size I have seen people using Senn HD600 as well. Walnut is criminally underrated in budget amp/dac space imo. Costs barely $33 and goes as low as $24 during sales with coupons. It can also be used as a music player which is a plus. Although, I use it as amp mostly

I'm a noob when it comes to Walnut stuff. Can you explain how to use the F2 as a pure dac/amp or just amp for IEMs, etc? I mainly listen to music streamed from my PC.

Oct 2, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #26,043 of 31,867
Oct 2, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #26,044 of 31,867
The last SHINI earphones I ordered, the S-520, arrived. These are even better than Q-140 I cannot believe it. They sound louder and more detailed compared to Q140 and while the bass is more or less the same the treble has tremendously improved. What can I say? These Shini S520 are simply a masterpiece!! IEMs from KZ, CCA, BLON etc all of them have to kneel before Shini S520. Whoever will try them will realize..

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #26,045 of 31,867
The last SHINI earphones I ordered, the S-520, arrived. These are even better than Q-140 I cannot believe it. They sound louder and more detailed compared to Q140 and while the bass is more or less the same the treble has tremendously improved. What can I say? These Shini S520 are simply a masterpiece!! IEMs from KZ, CCA, BLON etc all of them have to kneel before Shini S520. Whoever will try them will realize..

I have those here but have not tried them. I am not sure how to wear them. Probably most of you know that my husband @HungryPanda died in April from Covid 19. I have been gradually trying to sort out his gear. There is so much and this is painful to deal with but I will try to listen to the Shinis that he had. There are three. I think I remember him saying that one of them had the left/right reversed... or maybe out of phase... but cannot remember for sure and, if so, which one. If that is true I hope he had a chance to fix it. I will try to check these out this weekend. I have been trying to learn how to enjoy music again. This was something that we had shared and I have a lot of my own gear. We met because of music and I am lost without him.

Shini S-520 - blue
Shini MDR-Q141 - red
Shini MDR-Q940 - black

I took a some photos when you guys were talking about them in early September. I had just found them in a bag under his desk.

Could someone share a photo of what they look like on a person?

R0017339.JPG

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #26,046 of 31,867
I have those here but have not tried them. I am not sure how to wear them. Probably most of you know that my husband @HungryPanda died in April from Covid 19. I have been gradually trying to sort out his gear. There is so much and this is painful to deal with but I will try to listen to the Shinis that he had. There are three. I think I remember him saying that one of them had the left/right reversed... or maybe out of phase... but cannot remember for sure and, if so, which one. If that is true I hope he had a chance to fix it. I will try to check these out this weekend. I have been trying to learn how to enjoy music again. This was something that we had shared and I have a lot of my own gear. We met because of music and I am lost without him.

Shini S-520 - blue
Shini MDR-Q141 - red
Shini MDR-Q940 - black

I took a some photos when you guys were talking about them in early September. I had just found them in a bag under his desk.

Could someone share a photo of what they look like on a person?

R0017339.JPG

Hello. First of all my condolences for your husband loss. Be strong dear..

About the Left Right problem on one of the shini pair you can take a look at this post of mine. I HAD the same problem and solved it with easy.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...s-sharing-reference-list.805930/post-15841585

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #26,047 of 31,867
I'm a noob when it comes to Walnut stuff. Can you explain how to use the F2 as a pure dac/amp or just amp for IEMs, etc? I mainly listen to music streamed from my PC.

First - NOTE that the Walnut F2 only supports up to 16-Bit / 44.1-KHz or 48-KHz as a USB DAC.
Second - To operate as an Analog Amp, use the Line Out jack as a Line Input - connect a 3.5mm TRS cable from the analog output of a source (phone, PC, etc.) to Line Out.

In either case - You only need to Switch On (down) the "Power" switch. The "DAC Power" switch is actually mislabeled, since it's really the DAP Power - as it turns on the Music Player function, and the USB DAC works with just the "Power" switch On.

Oct 2, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #26,048 of 31,867
First - NOTE that the Walnut F2 only supports up to 16-Bit / 44.1-KHz or 48-KHz as a USB DAC.
Second - To operate as an Analog Amp, use the Line Out jack as a Line Input - connect a 3.5mm TRS cable from the analog output of a source (phone, PC, etc.) to Line Out.

In either case - You only need to Switch On (down) the "Power" switch. The "DAC Power" switch is actually mislabeled, since it's really the DAP Power - as it turns on the Music Player function, and the USB DAC works with just the "Power" switch On.

Do you happen to know the output impedance of the Walnut F2? Does it hiss with high sensitivity IEMs? TIA!!!

Oct 2, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #26,050 of 31,867
Do you happen to know the output impedance of the Walnut F2? Does it hiss with high sensitivity IEMs? TIA!!!

I can open it up this weekend, and measure any series resistors, that are between the op-amps and the output jacks.

Oct 2, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #26,051 of 31,867
Darn I think my CVJ CSA has driver rattle. Never picked it up listening to music but using the "Quality-Bass Shaker test" on this site (https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php), I do hear something going on with the driver behind the frequency sweep. I don't know for sure because it's almost uniform on both sides and throughout the whole test. Stops immediately after the test. I don't really hear it with my other iems though.

Oct 2, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #26,052 of 31,867
Darn I think my CVJ CSA has driver rattle. Never picked it up listening to music but using the "Quality-Bass Shaker test" on this site (https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php), I do hear something going on with the driver behind the frequency sweep. I don't know for sure because it's almost uniform on both sides and throughout the whole test. Stops immediately after the test. I don't really hear it with my other iems though.

What frequency does it occur at? Below their advertised frequency response?

Previously I tried to be curious and do some tests, I tried to play bass frequencies via tone generators (using TFZ No. 3 -> Tempotec Sonata HD (non pro) -> PC). The TFZ No. 3 was advertised for 5 - 40000 Hz. I personally can't hear below 20 Hz, but I had severe rattling at 5 - 10 Hz during test and thereafter I think it blew my Tempotec Sonata HD. I had bad clicking coming from Tempotec Sonata HD after that test when music is played, oh wells, I've learnt not to be too curious from now on.

Luckily the TFZ No. 3 survived, would have cried if that expensive set died. Haha is a legit basshead set since it made it thru all the way till 5 Hz. Whether the advertised 40000 Hz is nonsense or not, we gotta ask our dolphin and bat friends to verify.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #26,053 of 31,867
What frequency does it occur at? Below their advertised frequency response?

Previously I tried to be curious and do some tests, I tried to play bass frequencies via tone generators (using TFZ No. 3 -> Tempotec Sonata HD (non pro) -> PC). The TFZ No. 3 was advertised for 5 - 40000 Hz. I personally can't hear below 20 Hz, but I had severe rattling at 5 - 10 Hz during test and thereafter I think it blew my Tempotec Sonata HD. I had bad clicking coming from Tempotec Sonata HD after that test when music is played, oh wells, I've learnt not to be too curious from now on.

Luckily the TFZ No. 3 survived, would have cried if that expensive set died. Haha is a legit basshead set since it made it thru all the way till 5 Hz. Whether the advertised 40000 Hz is nonsense or not, we gotta ask our dolphin and bat friends to verify.

On the box it says the frequency response is 7-40000Hz. On the frequency test (on that site) the "rattle" starts at 20-30Hz.

FWIW I'm not using my Sonata HD Pro. Straight from my laptop and phone.

Oct 2, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #26,054 of 31,867
The Chinese IEM bug always bites me around this time a year.
Originally wanted to try the BL05s, but couldn't resist jumping on the Tin T2 Plus since I somehow got them for only 35$ on Ali thanks to a coupon. Can't wait to try them out.

Only thing I'm worried about are the MMCX connections since my cables on the original T2 have been breaking left and right while I never had any issues with 2-pin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back