CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 19, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #24,331 of 31,833
Ordered a computer cable on April 7, shipped out ePacket on April 11, no updates since.

Ordered some earphones and accessories on May 5, shipped out AliExpress Standard Shipping on May 9, put on an airplane and left China on May 10, no updates since, but I'm less worried about this one (so far).

Do you ever get a fake?
Items on AliExpress are usually rebranded or have unspecified brand name. If the seller sends you non-original or wrong model, you cannot get a refund, or can you?

May 19, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #24,332 of 31,833
Do you ever get a fake?
Items on AliExpress are usually rebranded or have unspecified brand name. If the seller sends you non-original or wrong model, you cannot get a refund, or can you?
you just have to know what product you are ordering and also from which seller.

Buying iems from china probably is very risk-free, but buying a Sony, Samsung, AKG or any other mainstream brand might not be that wise. And also if the seller has a low score and a weird name, usually isnt that smart to order from them. I try to not order stuff from sellers under 95% score.

May 19, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #24,333 of 31,833
Y
Yes, I'm a mid lover too. I actually prefer the BA5 to the ZSX. Bass is excellent for a BA (though not quite as good as the BA10) and I don't find it lacking.

Yes BA5 Mids are great, if they have great sub bass and great QC, i will pick BA5 over ZSX, with a little cut of micropore tape.
Currently i sometimes still listen to both.
The sub bass of BA is rolled off and too mid bass focus. I appreciate the speed decay and texture though. I know im very nitpicky about bass. Even my past Andromeda Bass isnt good, the Sony new BA bass is great, like in M7 and M9 (same driver), not for basshead though. Im not a basshead but prefer up north sub bass and prefer sub bass focus rather than midbass focus. Of course everyone can have different taste buddy. Cheers!

This is from @crinacle site where the BA5 bass is shown like i heard, similar to BQEYZ spring 1 that also too midbass-upper bass focus (BA5 bass still better in upper bass region)
graph.png

May 20, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #24,335 of 31,833
Ranked based on sound was already provided but now out of curiosity if someone has ranked IEM makers based on QC. I'd imagine this is impossible to actually do without access to a VERY large sample size, as well as IEMs based on fit and comfort which AFAIK AR-3001 probably kicks the c*** out of anything in this price bracket short of a budget CIEM which doesn't even exist for all I know.

May 20, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #24,336 of 31,833
Also mostly out of curiosity. How well does the FH1S fare in its price range? Mostly curious because I remember kmmbd comparing the original FH1 to the BL-03 and saying that if it weren't for the better build quality and accessories, the FH1 doesn't even register as competition... Presumably neither against the BL-03 nor the ZSX.

At this point I wonder if the EA3 is also considered an improvement from the FH1.

EA3 is an improvement over the FH1, but I wouldn't recommend it myself. I still think the BL-03 is a much smoother listen with superior tonality. The FH1s has less upper mid emphasis and lower treble glare is also tamed compared to FH1 but that's kinda about it. I wouldn't consider its timbre to be natural either. So if a natural tonality is what you're after the Fiio options likely wouldn't cut it. The BA drivers sound unnatural, maybe due to tuning and/or implementation.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #24,337 of 31,833
EA3 is an improvement over the FH1, but I wouldn't recommend it myself. I still think the BL-03 is a much smoother listen with superior tonality. The FH1s has less upper mid emphasis and lower treble glare is also tamed compared to FH1 but that's kinda about it. I wouldn't consider its timbre to be natural either. So if a natural tonality is what you're after the Fiio options likely wouldn't cut it. The BA drivers sound unnatural, maybe due to tuning and/or implementation.
So I guess this means neither will be dethroning the well established budget IEMs here.

Edit: Already ordered the BL-03, so I wonder if this forum will eventually want my impressions once they arrive. Not that they need more impressions than they have already.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #24,338 of 31,833
So I guess this means neither will be dethroning the well established budget IEMs here.

Edit: Already ordered the BL-03, so I wonder if this forum will eventually want my impressions once they arrive. Not that they need more impressions than they have already.
My Blon BL-03 are on their way as well. Already own a Tin T2. Ordered Blon after watching Z reviews. The price at which these ch-fi are available and the rave reviews they get , it is so tempting o keep buying every IEM that gets good review. Although, In the end most of those sit in drawer somewhere. Haven't touched my Sennheiser Momentum 3 after Tin T2.

May 20, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #24,339 of 31,833
May 20, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #24,340 of 31,833
My Blon BL-03 are on their way as well. Already own a Tin T2. Ordered Blon after watching Z reviews. The price at which these ch-fi are available and the rave reviews they get , it is so tempting o keep buying every IEM that gets good review. Although, In the end most of those sit in drawer somewhere. Haven't touched my Sennheiser Momentum 3 after Tin T2.

That's the way it goes I'm afraid. I started by buying a pair of KZ ZS10 to avoid taking my Sennheiser IE60s out so much (after being impressed with Hifiman HE400i I wanted to see what else was cool in ChiFi). Now, 30+ pairs later I'm just beginning to slow down.

May 20, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #24,341 of 31,833
May 20, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #24,342 of 31,833
That's the way it goes I'm afraid. I started by buying a pair of KZ ZS10 to avoid taking my Sennheiser IE60s out so much (after being impressed with Hifiman HE400i I wanted to see what else was cool in ChiFi). Now, 30+ pairs later I'm just beginning to slow down.
I heard that 36 is a magic number, after which one starts to reflect more :)

May 20, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #24,343 of 31,833
Definitely I'm at a point now where most sets are a sidegrade. I'd still like to try a Planar IEM and some kind of TOTL TWS (maybe when the tech is a bit more mature) but I've zoned in on the endgame, which is going to be a really really top notch pair of DDs. Discovering ChiFi and experimenting with different sound signatures has been fun, and I'm sure I'll be distracted along the way but my focus has shifted.

May 20, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #24,344 of 31,833
I heard that 36 is a magic number, after which one starts to reflect more :)

I'm pretty sure I've reflected three times over now :smirk: Not to mention I have 3 new ones coming now, I've apparently "Gone to plaid":open_mouth:

May 20, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #24,345 of 31,833
Ha ha! Do you have a T-shirt like mine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back