CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 20, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #24,346 of 31,834
Matter a fact I still find I have iem's I didn't even remember I had! Was out in my workshed getting some things together and bumped into these old (yeah lets call them classics now) :grin: Surprising thing is they both still sound pretty good, detail monsters no but easy to listen too you bet your Donkey they are:smirk: I'll even go as far as to say the gain in music listening is far closer than prices indicate but I guess it's all in what one can afford but I'm pretty sure 99.9% of the general public would be just fine with either of these:thinking: The real crazy thing is you can still buy both of these for less than a cheap azz plastic pair of $19.99 Best Buy Skull Candies:rolling_eyes:

Old Skool.JPG

May 20, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #24,349 of 31,834
I'm pretty sure I've reflected three times over now :smirk: Not to mention I have 3 new ones coming now, I've apparently "Gone to plaid":open_mouth:

You’ve gone from suck to blow!

May 20, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #24,351 of 31,834
Definitely I'm at a point now where most sets are a sidegrade. I'd still like to try a Planar IEM and some kind of TOTL TWS (maybe when the tech is a bit more mature) but I've zoned in on the endgame, which is going to be a really really top notch pair of DDs. Discovering ChiFi and experimenting with different sound signatures has been fun, and I'm sure I'll be distracted along the way but my focus has shifted.

The budget CHIFI market allows us to experiment with multiple sound signatures and see what we prefer based on our music genre preferences and sound preferences. Of course we can even buy a few sets to suit different music genres, but once u discover what u like, it might be a good option to go up the ladder and buy just one Midfi set that suits your needs, rather than multiple sub $30 - 50 sets, as the costs do add up to a midfi/TOTL set over a period. No doubt diminishing returns exist and the budget CHIFI of the past 2 - 3 years are of superb quality, and I daresay some of these budget sets may even go head to head with "overpriced" western midfi gear for a fraction of the price.

For planars under $100 (as per this thread), I think it would be hard to find such a thing. If u can add a bit more (and maybe we can discuss further in the TRI thread), do read up about the TRI I3, about $140ish USD usually. It is a strange mishmash of 1 DD + 1 planar + 1 BA. Superbly coherent and analogue sounding, minimal harshness except maybe an occasional 3 KHz spike. Above average technicalities and timbre, but superb soundstage at its pricing. The planar mids are the star here. Treble rolled off. It does require amping though, like most other planars, to scale to its optimal performance.

For TWS sets, just my personal opinion, but i wouldn't spend that much of em cause the BT tech and battery life are the limiting factor. Once the battery dies, the TWS goes with it. So I find it more cost effective to use something like a bluetooth adapter/dongle like TRN BT20/20S and connect an existing detachable IEM to it, so u can reuse the IEM and preserve most of the sound signature that u like about the IEM. These dongles ain't that bad in terms of battery life, BT connectivity and sound compared to TWS, and they are pretty convenient compared to wired gear, so a good compromise IMO.

May 20, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #24,352 of 31,834
I wonder if it's physically impossible to make a TWS with removable batteries or make a TWS with either an MMCX or a 2 pin connector so running them wired is an alternative. Although I think the issue is lack of interest rather than physics being the culprit.

May 20, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #24,353 of 31,834
... or make a TWS with either an MMCX or a 2 pin connector so running them wired is an alternative.

There are like 4 or 5 of those already either here or on the way from Motorola, BGVP, Tin Hifi and others.

May 20, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #24,354 of 31,834
I wonder if it's physically impossible to make a TWS with removable batteries or make a TWS with either an MMCX or a 2 pin connector so running them wired is an alternative. Although I think the issue is lack of interest rather than physics being the culprit.

The Sony WF-1000XM3 has a battery that can be replaced. Not super easily but it can be done.

索尼WF1000XM3-64.jpg

Bgvp q2 is a TWS & has MMCX.
bgvp q2.jpg

May 20, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #24,359 of 31,834
You’ve gone from suck to blow!

Right and it seems like every time I turn around I stumble upon yet more iem’s, couple Woodies hanging out here!
BC216AC2-8F0A-40F2-BEAF-E95455B46B13.jpeg

Yo G, you get my pm?

May 21, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #24,360 of 31,834
The reality is that you will outgrow them or they will be overcome by tech advances and price decreases that battery longevity is a non issue. That's certainly how I see it. You seriously think you or any of us are gonna want to listen to the BT buds your are listening now in 2022?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back