CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 21, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #23,897 of 31,849
New member who ran his gifted Urbeats2 to the ground. I very rarely listen to vocals (Songs with vocals probably make at most 5% of what I listen to) but I'll pretty much listen to all sorts of instruments, acoustic, electronic and everything in between. I also don't like cannon anything (specially treble cannons).

Do IEMs under $60 (preferably available on Amazon because of a relative that has Prime) exist that can be this all purpose but maybe vocals?

Should probably mention no decision is set in stone until the quarantine is over so I'm also kinda hoping that the BL05 will be more versatile than its predecessor.

Edit: Forgot to add I usually travel via bus. So I probably want noise isolation to be at least as good as said Urbeats although I think this is more of an eartip issue than an IEM issue unless said IEM is open back.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #23,898 of 31,849
New member who ran his gifted Urbeats2 to the ground. I very rarely listen to vocals (Songs with vocals probably make at most 5% of what I listen to) but I'll pretty much listen to all sorts of instruments, acoustic, electronic and everything in between. I also don't like cannon anything (specially treble cannons).

Do IEMs under $60 (preferably available on Amazon because of a relative that has Prime) exist that can be this all purpose but maybe vocals?

Should probably mention no decision is set in stone until the quarantine is over so I'm also kinda hoping that the BL05 will be more versatile than its predecessor.

Edit: Forgot to add I usually travel via bus. So I probably want noise isolation to be at least as good as said Urbeats although I think this is more of an eartip issue than an IEM issue unless said IEM is open back.
BQEYZ KC2
TRN BA5

Those are brands and models, not a cryptic secret cypher. 😂

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #23,899 of 31,849
BQEYZ KC2
TRN BA5

Those are brands and models, not a cryptic secret cypher. 😂

I would think twice about the BA5, since the @JEHL lives in Indonesia. It is extremely humid there and lots of rain. The BA5 has a known problem with moisture buildup and a loss of sound/premature death as a result.

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #23,900 of 31,849
as much as i think the TRN BA5 is a great pair, i have to agree with @Slater here, not only are the moisture build up issues real, but @JEHL also mentioned wanting isolation, and the BA5 isolation is below average. it's not open back really, but it has big vents that let in a good bit of ambient noise. in general, stating what kind of frequency response you like can get you better recommendations from the community, if you don't listen to a lot of vocals though that might mean a more v shape would fit, as vocals are in some ways the thing that some people don't like about v shaped sounds.

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #23,901 of 31,849
Actually I'm from Honduras more specifically from Tegucigalpa, Honduras (Didn't know I could type the whole thing back then when I made the profile)... they one who replied me is from Indonesia...

That being said however, everything said about Indonesia also probably applies here do a not much lesser degree. Which begs the question. Do all ventilated IEMs have this issue? If I were to acquire the BA5, would covering its vents solve the problem? And if it does how does it change its sound signature?

Edit: To be completely honest I nowhere close to testing all sound signatures out there, everything I've tried is either V shaped, treble cannon, or L shaped. I don't think i've ever tried a single mid forward headphone, probably doesn't matter much since I rarely listen to vocals anyway. I think L shaped may be my favorite so far.

Also i guess everything under this budget will roll off from both sides of the spectrum, but if I can pick between keeping sub bass or keeping the upper treble I'd pick keeping the sub bass

So i guess a better answer is not what I listen to but whats my favorite sound signature: L shaped again.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #23,902 of 31,849
I would think twice about the BA5, since the @JEHL lives in Indonesia. It is extremely humid there and lots of rain. The BA5 has a known problem with moisture buildup and a loss of sound/premature death as a result.
I too live in torrid and tropical Indonesia. I recommend the TRN BA5. My set suffers from none of the problems reported.

Current conditions
Screenshot_20200422_123417.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #23,903 of 31,849
as much as i think the TRN BA5 is a great pair, i have to agree with @Slater here, not only are the moisture build up issues real, but @JEHL also mentioned wanting isolation, and the BA5 isolation is below average. it's not open back really, but it has big vents that let in a good bit of ambient noise. in general, stating what kind of frequency response you like can get you better recommendations from the community, if you don't listen to a lot of vocals though that might mean a more v shape would fit, as vocals are in some ways the thing that some people don't like about v shaped sounds.
I agree with you on the isolation part.

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #23,904 of 31,849
Actually I'm from Honduras more specifically from Tegucigalpa, Honduras (Didn't know I could type the whole thing back then when I made the profile)... they one who replied me is from Indonesia...

That being said however, everything said about Indonesia also probably applies here do a not much lesser degree. Which begs the question. Do all ventilated IEMs have this issue? If I were to acquire the BA5, would covering its vents solve the problem? And if it does how does it change its sound signature?
I have been to Honduras, the first time in the 1970s, the last time in the 1990s when I crossed over from Guatemala on a chicken bus and a 4WD to visit Copán! 😎

Indonesia is even more tropical and torrid.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #23,905 of 31,849
So I assume they're not in danger of shorting out here. I actually wonder, as of this comment I'm listening on a beats solo 3 which aren't mine, borrowed from my nephew, who he only uses when he need to go to a class, which of course it ain't happening now because of the quarantine so he's just letting me use for now. The only headphone I have is an MDR-XB200 which I own almost since their inception, they are functional for now they look like they could kick the bucket any second too.

Do you think the BA5 could effectively replace my XBs too for home listening too? Although that would also mean having to deal with the subpar isolation which is actually a GOOD thing for listening on my home, probably not so good for commuting on the bus however.

Is there an even cheaper alternative to BA5? They seem to be over budget in Amazon which apparently are also provided to Amazon by he who shall not be named in this site, I guess the KC2 are but I heard some people complaining about too much treble in those. guess I could try Aliexpress but dunno how taxes work there (heard its not included in the price tag).

Apr 22, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #23,906 of 31,849
So I assume they're not in danger of shorting out here. I actually wonder, as of this comment I'm listening on a beats solo 3 which aren't mine, borrowed from my nephew, who he only uses when he need to go to a class, which of course it ain't happening now because of the quarantine so he's just letting me use for now. The only headphone I have is an MDR-XB200 which I own almost since their inception, they are functional for now they look like they could kick the bucket any second too.

Do you think the BA5 could effectively replace my XBs too for home listening too? Although that would also mean having to deal with the subpar isolation which is actually a GOOD thing for listening on my home, probably not so good for commuting on the bus however.

Is there an even cheaper alternative to BA5? They seem to be over budget in Amazon which apparently are also provided to Amazon by he who shall not be named in this site, I guess the KC2 are but I heard some people complaining about too much treble in those. guess I could try Aliexpress but dunno how taxes work there (heard its not included in the price tag).
Look, people don't walk around with IEMs here in the middle of the day. I don't wear them out in the heat. Middle of the day you are staying put indoors with AC, not running around with your IEMs on outside.

Yeah, Amazon prices are crazy. I got my TRN BA5 here for $50, my BQEYZ KC2 for $37. They are both neutral-ish and balanced. As a point of reference, I also quite like the Tin T3 and dislike the BLON for, among other reasons, its recessed highs. I like air, detail and sparkle at the top, yes.

Ok, try the KZ ZS10 Pro ($30 here) , then.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #23,908 of 31,849
Ah yes the BLON. Even cheaper than the ZS10 Pro, but from what I read in another thread although I forgot who mentioned it, the BL03 are... rather genre sensitive, this presumably makes them a bad all purpose IEM and that the ZS10 Pro, BA5 and KC2 are much more general purpose than it... technicality issues aside, dare I say I like the (maybe a bit too L shaped?) frequency response curve.

I kinda hope whoever preordered the BL05 receives them before the quarantine ends since I'd rather not pull the trigger yet, so I can hear/read their impressions and maybe even full reviews. That being said I'm not exactly holding my breath for them either since even my 15 year old nephew knows too well every great work is vulnerable to a terrible sequel and I imagine IEMs are not immune to this.

That being said I'm really thankful for the mentioned the BA5 anyways as it has completely flew off my radar despite the many great things that had been said about them. The KC2 probably even more so.

Apr 22, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #23,909 of 31,849
Ah yes the BLON. Even cheaper than the ZS10 Pro, but from what I read in another thread although I forgot who mentioned it, the BL03 are... rather genre sensitive, this presumably makes them a bad all purpose IEM and that the ZS10 Pro, BA5 and KC2 are much more general purpose than it... technicality issues aside, dare I say I like the (maybe a bit too L shaped?) frequency response curve.

I kinda hope whoever preordered the BL05 receives them before the quarantine ends since I'd rather not pull the trigger yet, so I can hear/read their impressions and maybe even full reviews. That being said I'm not exactly holding my breath for them either since even my 15 year old nephew knows too well every great work is vulnerable to a terrible sequel and I imagine IEMs are not immune to this.

That being said I'm really thankful for the mentioned the BA5 anyways as it has completely flew off my radar despite the many great things that had been said about them. The KC2 probably even more so.
I am not holding my breath for the BL05. From the looks of the FR graph it is even more economical with treble than its predecessor.

Apr 22, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #23,910 of 31,849

KB100 is phenomenal as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back