CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 15, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #22,786 of 31,833
I think after reading through the list I'm even more confused about where I should go. I'm looking in the $25-75 range.

Sound preference is clarity, detail, separation above all.
Prefer speed in the low end. Don't hate a small midbass kick (normie).
Don't really like OVERLY dark and/or warm as that CAN conflict with my main preferences.
Mids clean and not overly recessed, present. Hate when the lower end of voices (male or female) sound thin.
Highs I like "glassy" (I use this word, I know nobody else does). I like cymbals to have detail and clarity. If anyone here plays the drums, I like to be able distinguish the tones of different types and sizes of cymbals (and snares) and their decay. I feel like not many speakers (or recordings for that matter) do this well.
Don't like a small soundstage. I feel it can go both ways with detail and separation. Too big and airy I feel can be non realistic outside of orchestral recordings and lose small detail. Too small gets congested in complex parts. Congestion bothers me greatly.

I know my budget probably will not hit all of these well but thought I'd ask. Reading recent-ish reviews seems like the blon bl03, tin t2, and kz zsx are the hype but none of them sound extremely fitting to my preference. Any help?

Is the **** **** though cheaper more fitting than those?? So many options haha
I know you've already ton of recommendations, yet I would like to add my opinion. Almost everything you want could meet the extremely cheap TRN ST1. They are simple hybrids, but perfectly tuned for those who like V-shaped sound. ST1 excel in their clarity and heights are quite clear, without any harashing or sibilance. It uses the same BA as the TRN BA5, but it only needs 1 piece instead of 3 without missing any details at hights. This makes the width of the soundstage above average. Mids are ok, do not have annoying peaks in upper midrange. For some the vocals may be inadequate, but it depends on the genre and difficulty of the listener. Unlike some other chifi I can also listen to metal core or female vocals in goth metal on ST1. The bass might be a little stronger and deeper, but the quality is good and their speed is quite decent, of course not as lowrange BA's, but more dynamic. Overall, ST1 is an interesting mix of sound signature V80, good tuning V90 and BA quality from BA5. They are not perfect, when you compare them side by side to more expensive ones, you will find that their sound is not so rich and they have poor isolation from the outdoor noise. I personaly prefer to use them with cheap foam eartips, which partially solve both problems, but still with them can maintain enough microdetails. I also like the percussions in music and I want to the cymbals and hi hats sounded without attenuation and with enough fading. If I could choose blindly in the shop by hearing from the ones I have in my signature, I would hesitate between V90 and ST1, but in the end I would prefer ST1 just for the sounding details of percussions. So if you are looking for a brighter sound with good resolution at trebles and have a limited budget, I would recommend starting your chi-fi adventure with something similar to the ST1 and investing the rest to some DAC, because without a better source each BA will only highlight poor quality of input.

Jan 15, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #22,787 of 31,833
LZ A6 Mini pretty much ticks all those boxes. Some are complaining of male vocals being recessed, but Its only just very very slight IMO. Female vocals are ridiculously good with them though. Great IEM. Has different filters for different tuning options but black filter is my go too. Its a $180 IEM on sale for $75 so could be worth a look into reading more about them.

@audiophizile

Completely agree with the above. I've been away from buying stuff recently but got sucked back in by these beauties!!!

Paired with my BTR3 streaming via LDAC thay sound fantastic.

I loved the ceramic piezo driver in the ****, but the LZ A6 Mini implementation is far more refined, combined with a better DD. The highs from the piezo driver have a very unique quality making them sparkly and full of detail without being harsh.

I agree that female vocals sound fantastic and that Male vocals sound only very slightly recessed and still sound fab.

The bass is fast and detailed with great depth without being overpowering.

An absolute gem at $75!!!

Black filters FTW too!

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #22,789 of 31,833
Hhhmmmm... interesting. Are You sure they just aren`t KZ ZST re-branded clones?

Indeed they are the ones that look the same as the ZST but they don't sound the same and the dynamic driver is in a different location. They are an easy rec for 10 dollars.

These are not like some of the lower quality stuff QKZ make.

Jan 15, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #22,790 of 31,833
you also heart the TRN ST1 ?

would be interesting which one of both is better
I have not heard the ST1 sorry.

... and I have not heared VK4 :) But I have ST1 and MH755, both are good, just for diferent tracks and generes. For rock, metal, electronic, pop are ST1 much better for me, it plays every detail. MH755 are smother, good for classic, maybe jazz, I don't use my MH755, because I need a little more vivid and detailed sound. I thing everyone need both, some 1DD and some hybrid, by buying VK4 and ST1 you will have a good and cheap start to the both worlds for only $ 20 :)

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #22,791 of 31,833
YES! If you want complete clarity with a bit of fun you can go for something like the Khadas tone board+JDS labs atom. Or for more fun something like the magni 3+, topping d50s. There is quite a difference even with $50 IEM's.

Is the D50s useful for someone who is just using it for wired IEMs, and not bluetooth? I was thinking of getting something for my Windows 10 PC. I just want a dongle or complete DAC/AMP that can power all chi-fi and maybe some headphones with less hiss and background noise.

Jan 15, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #22,792 of 31,833
I think after reading through the list I'm even more confused about where I should go. I'm looking in the $25-75 range.

Sound preference is clarity, detail, separation above all.
Prefer speed in the low end. Don't hate a small midbass kick (normie).
Don't really like OVERLY dark and/or warm as that CAN conflict with my main preferences.
Mids clean and not overly recessed, present. Hate when the lower end of voices (male or female) sound thin.
Highs I like "glassy" (I use this word, I know nobody else does). I like cymbals to have detail and clarity. If anyone here plays the drums, I like to be able distinguish the tones of different types and sizes of cymbals (and snares) and their decay. I feel like not many speakers (or recordings for that matter) do this well.
Don't like a small soundstage. I feel it can go both ways with detail and separation. Too big and airy I feel can be non realistic outside of orchestral recordings and lose small detail. Too small gets congested in complex parts. Congestion bothers me greatly.

I know my budget probably will not hit all of these well but thought I'd ask. Reading recent-ish reviews seems like the blon bl03, tin t2, and kz zsx are the hype but none of them sound extremely fitting to my preference. Any help?

Is the **** **** though cheaper more fitting than those?? So many options haha

It's already been recommended to you, but the TRN BA5 fits this category. It is a relatively neutral, but pleasant-enough tuning that uses all-BA drivers to avoid the disunity issues that arise in hybrid IEMs. So it has the power of BA drivers (separation, imaging), is very clear since it's all the same driver-type with no conflicts, has strong technicalities. When I go from certain popular IEMs to the BA5, it is like cleaning dust from a window.

It is good for certain genres (people have posted Chinese and other Asian bands they use with the BA5), and I use it for bass-light techno and psy-trance. It insanely outperforms most of my other IEMs in these genres. It is very fast, and percussion including cymbals is very impactful. But it doesn't hurt the ears. The only fatigue comes from the sheer speed and outrageous separation, especially in techno. And the soundstage is reasonable.

For other genres, like classic rock and alternative / indie-rock, it may have a 'boring' sound, so be careful. It is okay with classical, I like how it renders piano. It is an addictive IEM and I keep using it instead of other IEMs. It has excellent fit (for me), so it does provide some isolation.

However, others have reported problems with quality-control. I have not had these problems at this time. If you get a good one, you'll know.

Jan 16, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #22,793 of 31,833
i'm still waiting for my Hisenior B5+, and i do have high hopes for those, but really what i want is something to replace my TRN BA5. I mostly loved the sound of them, but my pair seems to have some issues, and i'm not planning on buying a second pair. anyone can think of something else with that amazing level of detail and seperation along with a flattish frequency response? i still do use and enjoy my BA5, I just hate that I can't trust them to be my constant use pair.

Jan 16, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #22,796 of 31,833
Does anyone own VE bonus ie? Can you confirm if it has driver flex like people stated?
My unit had on both sides. This is venting problem. I retuned them to what they should sound like (see Badguy graph). Currently I have drivers removed and waiting for ES4 shell install and nozzle testing.
When those drivers get right venting, driver-air-flow-dampening and shells - they sound amazing :wink:
Indeed they are the ones that look the same as the ZST but they don't sound the same and the dynamic driver is in a different location. They are an easy rec for 10 dollars.

These are not like some of the lower quality stuff QKZ make.
Thanks. Maybe going to try those as I like re-tuned MH-755 quite a bit (good unit/re-tuned BIE is better though).

Jan 16, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #22,797 of 31,833
It's already been recommended to you, but the TRN BA5 fits this category. It is a relatively neutral, but pleasant-enough tuning that uses all-BA drivers to avoid the disunity issues that arise in hybrid IEMs. So it has the power of BA drivers (separation, imaging), is very clear since it's all the same driver-type with no conflicts, has strong technicalities. When I go from certain popular IEMs to the BA5, it is like cleaning dust from a window.

It is good for certain genres (people have posted Chinese and other Asian bands they use with the BA5), and I use it for bass-light techno and psy-trance. It insanely outperforms most of my other IEMs in these genres. It is very fast, and percussion including cymbals is very impactful. But it doesn't hurt the ears. The only fatigue comes from the sheer speed and outrageous separation, especially in techno. And the soundstage is reasonable.

For other genres, like classic rock and alternative / indie-rock, it may have a 'boring' sound, so be careful. It is okay with classical, I like how it renders piano. It is an addictive IEM and I keep using it instead of other IEMs. It has excellent fit (for me), so it does provide some isolation.

However, others have reported problems with quality-control. I have not had these problems at this time. If you get a good one, you'll know.
Yes, I feel the same. I have Shuoer Tape, Tin T4 and many others but I go back to the BA5 as well. It's brilliant for classical music and with the Faaeal Hibiscus cable the bass gains a little extra depth.

Jan 16, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #22,800 of 31,833
Does anyone own VE bonus ie? Can you confirm if it has driver flex like people stated?

Mine had terrible driver flex and too much bass until I finallly settled on the best tips for me. I still have to be careful when inserting them...as described above.

Most of my impressions...and some photos are in the BIE thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back