CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 9, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #20,776 of 31,845
Nice review. I read somewhere that the DR2 is identical in sound to the Hill Audio Altair RA IEM.

How's the DR2's clarity/details/instrument separation vs the TFZ No. 3?
And how's the timbre for DR2?

Thanks! First time writing something that long here since the review for DR2 is very less here, so wanna give my two cents for those who seek them.

For my ear they were almost equal tbh. But if I must choose, the DR2 did sounds more detailed & clear than the no. 3 in some tracks in my ear. Instruments separation is also top notch too. You can clearly hear everything that was in the song without it getting mixed up since it has rather fast decay.

For timbre, I'm not too sure how to describe them yet. But all I can say is they really sounds very good to me and with that tuning that they had, DR2 should have been in the same price range with TFZ No. 3 (add more usable accessories and nice cable, I'll pick them over the No. 3).

However, based on what I had read from other reviews, they said that DR2 is one of the IEM that had reliable yet accurate timbre in their price range. I did try to compared it with the blon, which most says it had natural timbre, and there was almost no different between them in my ear. Both of them are equally good as other had claimed.

Nov 9, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #20,778 of 31,845
FAAEAL Hibiscus

That's a nice looking IEM. The shell shape is very similar to the CCA C10/ZS10 Pro. I wonder if there is a connection there?

Nov 9, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #20,780 of 31,845
IMG_20191109_150212.jpg

Went to a local headphone store and spent a couple of hours to compare Hibiscus to KXXS this afternoon. Hibiscus does attempt to follow Harman Curve but is different to KXXS in some respects. Listening to KXXS, it is like that sound is in font of me and very straight. With Hibiscus, I feel kind of surrounded and a little bit complicated. Both do not sound harsh or bloat.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #20,781 of 31,845

Went to a local headphone store and spent a couple of hours to compare Hibiscus to KXXS this afternoon. Hibiscus does attempt to follow Harman Curve but is different to KXXS in some respects. Listening to KXXS, it is like that sound is in font of me and very straight. With Hibiscus, I feel kind of surrounded and a little bit complicated. Both do not sound harsh or bloat.

Can you explain more details maybe about technicality?

How is the clarity and resolution, bass texture - decay - weight - punch, soundstage and imaging, separation and detail retrieval? If I was asking too much, just tell us more about your impressions, do they sound in same class or just trying to catch the KXXS but with bad result? Thanks in advance!

Nov 9, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #20,782 of 31,845
This 11/11 seemed like a good time for me to get into Chi-Fi IEMs and experiment a bit with budget offerings.

I'll be getting the much hyped Blon Bl-03 as a DD but I'm also looking to complement it with a bassier Hybrid that will be more suitable for electronic music etc.

Right now I've my picks down to the BQEYZ BQ3, TRN V90 and CCA C12. Is there a clear winner between the 3 of them?

Nov 9, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #20,783 of 31,845
Thinking of picking up the Blon BL-03 and Tin HiFi T2 on 11/11. What replacement cables and tips are recommended for these? Can they benefit from a balanced cable if I'm using them with a balanced source?

I know this has been discussed elsewhere in this and other threads, but I'm hoping for a quick summary or consensus opinion about what offers the "best" upgrade for these. Thanks!

- Jon

Nov 9, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #20,784 of 31,845
Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #20,786 of 31,845
If you're willing to stretch your budget a bit then have a look at the ER2XR or ER2SE. XR has more bass and possibly a bit warmer, so I'm guessing the SE might fit your needs better. They're going for $125 on Amazon

As I was looking at the ER2SE on Amazon and read about it and then clicked on the ER3SE I started thinking wondering if I could make my Final Audio E1000 (Because they looked the same) to work like that with a triple flange tip. So I tried it with no success standing next to it, I could hear the A/C and TV in the background when connected to my QNGEE X2 DAP. So I thought why not try the SpinFit double flange tips and voila, I was able to get enough of a seal to block out almost all the external noise.
Earlier this morning I did some experiments sitting just in front of a speaker with those airplane noise and screaming kid turned way up. People must have been wondering what the heck?.
Unfortunately none of my IEMs did the trick to block out the majority of that noise.
The only thing that really worked and lived up to their rep were my Bose QC 25 over ears which are a little too bulky to take on my flight for my liking
So iit looks like its a combo of the FinalAudio E1000 with double flange tips, the cheap KZ and possible the BGVP DM6. That's the only decent IEM I have with superb isolation until I can commit to some Etymotics.
Too bad they aren't something that would go on sale 11/11
I might just wait till christmas to see what happens to their prices, I know the ER2SE was on sale on MasDrop recently.

Nov 9, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #20,787 of 31,845
Thinking of picking up the Blon BL-03 and Tin HiFi T2 on 11/11. What replacement cables and tips are recommended for these? Can they benefit from a balanced cable if I'm using them with a balanced source?

I know this has been discussed elsewhere in this and other threads, but I'm hoping for a quick summary or consensus opinion about what offers the "best" upgrade for these. Thanks!

- Jon
Some say yes cable can change the iem sound characteristics, but other say it don't.

Nov 9, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #20,788 of 31,845
This 11/11 seemed like a good time for me to get into Chi-Fi IEMs and experiment a bit with budget offerings.

I'll be getting the much hyped Blon Bl-03 as a DD but I'm also looking to complement it with a bassier Hybrid that will be more suitable for electronic music etc.

Right now I've my picks down to the BQEYZ BQ3, TRN V90 and CCA C12. Is there a clear winner between the 3 of them?
If you're looking for a bassy hybrid the V90 is the one you want.

Nov 9, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #20,789 of 31,845

- Jon

I personally wouldn't bother with the T2. Thus far, the best bang-for-buck I've heard is the upcoming T4 which will be released and go on sale on 11-11 at 9:00 EST. Usual retail pricing will be $109, but for the 11-11 sale Linsoul will be selling it for $79.

Nov 9, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #20,790 of 31,845
Hi guys, never quite sure how to approach a massive thread like this. I know the answer is in here somewhere, but after 1386 pages, I am hoping to know what the community consensus say top 5 chifi IEMs under $100 are as of November 2019. That seems manageable to me to choose.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back