CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 8, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #20,176 of 31,833
IMHO I think the BLON BL-03 is slightly below average in isolation compared to my other IEMs. For comparisons' sake, I do have a fan in my room and when I sit a meter away from the fan stream, I get the sound of wind whirling in my ears with the BLON. I've tried a few different silicone tips and this whirling sound still gets thru. Not sure if foam tips will help cause the foams technically will expand and block the ear canal, but I have a feeling foam might dull the treble, which is already pretty laid back in the BLON. I have a feeling it will not be suitable for motorcyling at high speed with wind in your ears, but worth a try first since u got it on order.

Yes, the isolation is probably below average with Blon 03. But the idea that foams dull treble and highs is a myth. People think that because they think that what they're made of will somehow deaden that aspect...but I've never found it to be the case. They may thicken the general tone, but that doesn't mean the treble is affected. Also, I think Blon treble is pretty present, as I mentioned before - and gives the music some air. It's not Tin T2 present (which I think is a bit too much), or tizzy like V80 can be...it's just very very decent. And I agree, I wouldn't wear them for motorcycling.

Oct 8, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #20,177 of 31,833
I ride a motorcycle and the only IEM that I have that fits under a full face helmet and has above avg isolation is the semkarch cnt1. With the 3rd party filter It could be a play. Otherwise it's bass forward. However there are other iems with the same exact housing that would be worth looking into.

I can't even imagine blon with a full face helmet. Same with C10. Had that one, and no way would it fit as it sticks out of your ears so when sliding the helmet over your head they pull down and end up on your cheek. Now if rocking some loosy goosy 70s style 3/4 helmet or a brain bucket anything would work.

Oct 8, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #20,179 of 31,833
I don't use a helmet, but only on the TRN V80 I can sleep comfortably, maybe a new V90, but I have them on the way so I can't confirm yet.

If you go to the MH755 thread you will find photos of what the driver should look like.
Sometimes it is better not to know :) But the curiosity was huge and the driver looks like the original, only the sub bass is missing. Strange, Ï don't know if it's upgrade, downgrade or sidegrade of MH755, but never mind :)

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #20,180 of 31,833
What would you recommend in this price range primarily for sound isolation and comfort? I'm looking for something to replace my earplugs while riding my motorcycle and listening to podcasts and music.

More (excessive) background... I currently ride with a typical Bluetooth headset with speakers Velcro mounted inside the helmet. I care about my hearing, so I also use earplugs (Radians). Problem is, driving at freeway speeds, the speakers aren't loud enough to overcome the wind noise when listening to podcasts or phone calls.

I was a sound engineer almost 10 years ago, absolutely loved my Sensaphonics 2X-S CIEMs. They died ~5 years ago, and since I'm no longer getting paid to use them, can't justify repair costs. Boy, with 39dB of isolation, those would have been awesome in my helmet! Well, they still fit perfectly, and I was considering trying to cut out the insides (solid silicone filled) and use the "shell" to DIY some IEMs. In researching the latest in DIY here on head-fi, that just seems like way too much work and risk. So I thought maybe I'll pick up some earbuds or universal IEMs and try to make silicone tips from my broken CIEMs. That may still be an option, but I'm not sure any easier that just using Radians molds around an earbud.

Now I'm wondering if the custom fit is even worth it with such great foam tip options on the market. I've mostly given up on having one awesome pair of high isolation CIEMs and am ready to settle for Blon BL-03 (just ordered) for listening, and just something decent with strong isolation and comfort for my motorcycle.

So back to the original question - what do you recommend in the sub-$50 range for 1) isolation, 2) comfort, and 3) audio quality (I prefer neutral reference)? And then, any better ideas for my situation/needs, or how to not just throw away my prior CIEM investment and dreams of returning to TOTL CIEMs on a family-with-5-kids budget?
memt x5 is cheap, isolates well and is very form fitting--not a paragon of neutrality, but i wouldn't prioritize sound signature for motorcycle use

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #20,181 of 31,833
I received the Semkarch CNT-1 and I like the sound so far. There is one thing that is bothering me though - the angle of the nozzle..
The angle doesn't match with my ear canals. The nozzle presses against one side inside of my canal. Therefore longer listening isn't that enjoyable. I need more like a right angle and no obtuse angle like the Semkarch has.
So I am looking for an other pair to try sub 50$. The IEM has to be small (like the the size of the Semkarch) the sound signature should be V-shaped :) Is TRN V90 the only option here? (Or maybe TFZ Galaxy T2 (although it looks quite big)?)

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #20,182 of 31,833
I received the Semkarch CNT-1 and I like the sound so far. There is one thing that is bothering me though - the angle of the nozzle..
The angle doesn't match with my ear canals. The nozzle presses against one side inside of my canal. Therefore longer listening isn't that enjoyable. I need more like an right angle and no obtuse angle like the Semkarch has.
So I am looking for an other pair to try sub 50$. The IEM has to be small (like the the size of the Semkarch) the sound signature should be V-shaped :) Is TRN V90 the only option here? (Or maybe TFZ Galaxy T2 (although it looks quite big)?)

slightly v shaped, quite small for 5 drivers, and priced sub $50. you got your correct answer for V90! They are quite comfortable and really good SQ for the price

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #20,184 of 31,833
I hope the guys using or thinking of using IEM´s whilst riding a motorcycle reconsider for their own and everyone else´s safety, in Spain where I live, you cannot even ride a bicycle whilst using headphones / IEM´s.

I agree. I would not want the isolation nor would I want to be lost in music while driving any type of vehicle.

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #20,185 of 31,833
The angle doesn't match with my ear canals. The nozzle presses against one side inside of my canal. Therefore longer listening isn't that enjoyable. I need more like a right angle and no obtuse angle like the Semkarch has.

T2 and V90 are both excellent choices! Should get both....

Oct 8, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #20,186 of 31,833
I hope the guys using or thinking of using IEM´s whilst riding a motorcycle reconsider for their own and everyone else´s safety, in Spain where I live, you cannot even ride a bicycle whilst using headphones / IEM´s.

I agree. I would not want the isolation nor would I want to be lost in music while driving any type of vehicle.

For bicycle use, I use a bone conduction headset that allows for listening to podcasts while not blocking out any sound from the surrounding environment. But I don't know if they would be totally overpowered by something as loud as a motorcycle.

Oct 8, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #20,187 of 31,833
slightly v shaped, quite small for 5 drivers, and priced sub $50. you got your correct answer for V90! They are quite comfortable and really good SQ for the price
Can you say something about the angle of the nozzle? And how much bigger is the V90 compared to the Semkarch? The Semkarch is nice and flush in my ear :)
T2 and V90 are both excellent choices! Should get both....
Well, I would, but I can only listen to one pair, so.. Can you say something about the size and the nozzle anlge of the TFZ T2 and V90 aswell?

Oct 8, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #20,188 of 31,833
I don't ride a motorcycle but I do know there are quite a few Bluetooth integrated helmet options out there these days... what's the advantage of IEMs under a helmet? Is it just about sound quality? or battery life on long rides?
The Bluetooth integrated in the helmet is great, just not loud enough to overcome wind noise when trying to listen to podcasts or voice calls.

Oct 8, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #20,189 of 31,833
Sometimes it is better not to know :) But the curiosity was huge and the driver looks like the original, only the sub bass is missing. Strange, Ï don't know if it's upgrade, downgrade or sidegrade of MH755, but never mind :)

There are slight tuning variations in these Sonys. It’s just due to mass production. Some are a little light on sub bass, others are a little heavier on sub bass.

Oct 8, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #20,190 of 31,833
Just did the mmcx mod on my Sony mh755.. looks nice with the Tin T2 cable. Only burnt myself twice :p
IMG_20191008_224006.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back