CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 6, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #20,146 of 31,833
Oct 7, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #20,150 of 31,833
Hi has anyone tried doing the tin t2 vent mod but prick a hole in the tape? basically decrease the diameter of the front vent, this way the pressure can still be somewhat equalized. Is this worth it? Has anyone tried it
Is it possible to make a hole smaller than the diameter of the front vent? Maybe use some micropore tape? I tried out micropore and it wasn't any different to using other tapes

Oct 7, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #20,151 of 31,833
Received my MH755's today and have been listening to them for a little while. The only real comparison I have is with my KZ ATE's, and I would say the MH755's are a little more accurate tonally than the KZ's. They're very clear, and have a nice openness, spaciousness about them. The KZ's sound weightier, the MH755's a little thin by comparison. They're still a little shrill with string tone, particularly massed orchestral strings. But they're utterly astonishing for the price! Great tips as well, for me anyway - the large tips give me a really good seal. I tried a pair of Inairs foams for comparison, and thought they slightly dulled the sound (although it was still perfectly liveable with).

In a couple of weeks (?) time, I should receive my BLON BL-03's, which I'm really looking forward to. I'm hoping they're another step up.

I've also just got my Sony's. Definitely loving the sound, shares some similarities with my T2's but more sub bass. Worth the effort to recable them I think, might be a future DIY project.

I'd love to know how they stack up to the much hyped Blon! Hoping for an 11.11 sale to grab them

Oct 7, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #20,155 of 31,833
I've also just got my Sony's. Definitely loving the sound, shares some similarities with my T2's but more sub bass. Worth the effort to recable them I think, might be a future DIY project.

I'd love to know how they stack up to the much hyped Blon!
I've got a bunch of recabled MH755 and two sets of the BL-03 (got another set on the way) and to my ears the Blons beat them in pretty much all departments including tonality, the big + of the Sonys. Regarding the mid-bass bleed of the Blons that some folks mentioned, I get that as well on my smartphone and older DAPs and DACs but it's no issue whatsoever on my E1DA 9038S USB DAC and low-imp cables (<0.05 Ohm output impedance + ~0,1 Ohm cable impedance > damping factor ~300). If I had to nitpick I'd say that the Blons fall a bit short when it comes to the last bit of details, especially compared to BAs but nothing really to lose sleep over IMO and they more than make up for that with their natural! tonality and stageing, coherency, cohesiveness and clarity, their way to structure natural instruments and on top of that their seemingly effortless engaging musicality - all of that together puts them in a distinctive tear above the MH755 to my ears.
Given that @crinacle gave those $5 Sonys a B= rating, right next to some unfortunate $1000+ IEMs I wonder where he'd place the BL-03 on his list ...

Hoping for an 11.11 sale to grab them
I consider myself lucky for having paid no more than 26€ for each of my three sets but hey, why not wait another month to save one or two dollars - if at all.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #20,156 of 31,833
I've got a bunch of recabled MH755 and two sets of the BL-03 (got another set on the way) and to my ears the Blons beat them in pretty much all departments including tonality, the big + of the Sonys. Regarding the mid-bass bleed of the Blons that some folks mentioned, I get that as well on my smartphone and older DAPs and DACs but it's no issue whatsoever on my E1DA 9038S USB DAC and low-imp cables (<0.05 Ohm output impedance + ~0,1 Ohm cable impedance > damping factor ~300). If I had to nitpick I'd say that the Blons fall a bit short when it comes to the last bit of details, especially compared to BAs but nothing really to lose sleep over IMO and they more than make up for that with their natural! tonality and stageing, coherency, cohesiveness and clarity, their way to structure natural instruments and on top of that their seemingly effortless engaging musicality - all of that together puts them in a distinctive tear above the MH755 to my ears.
Given that @crinacle gave those $5 Sonys a B= rating, right next to some unfortunate $1000+ IEMs I wonder where he'd place the BL-03 on his list ...

I pulled out of the Massdrop JVC HA FDX01 (which cost $250 USD during the pre order phase) after I got my BLON BL-03 for $25 USD. I haven't heard the JVC, but thanks @Otto Motor for comparing the 2 and saying the BLONs ain't too far away in quality. I personally would prefer to spend the 90% difference in price on 11/11 sales or Christmas sales.

Definitely the BLON loses out in clarity, instrument separation and details to my other single DDs, not to mention multi BA/hybrids, but I'm very happy with the BLONs for the tonality and timbre. My gold standard in timbre and tonality was the toneking nine tails till the BLON came along. And I'm pretty suprised the BLON's subbass can dig quite low, though it ain't basshead in quantity. Yeah there's a mild midbass bleed, but I actually like it for acoustic and jazz genres to give a bit of warmth and "analogue" signature to the lower mids.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #20,157 of 31,833
I have to say I'm not as taken with the Sony MH755's as I hoped I might be. A little anxious I might have bought fakes. Is there an easy way of telling?

What seller did you use and did you get white or black ones. High chance of fakes with the black. So far I have not heard of anyone getting white fake ones from any of the recommended sellers mentioned in the MH755 thread and other iem threads.

There are photos in the main thread showing what the driver should look like. Also other ways to tell.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...ion-thread-mh750-mh755-mh1c-ex300-etc.900005/

Oct 7, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #20,158 of 31,833
Definitely the BLON loses out in clarity, instrument separation and details to my other single DDs, not to mention multi BA/hybrids, but I'm very happy with the BLONs for the tonality and timbre.
Like I posted above (Blons vs. MH755) to my ears the BL-03 (again: on the 9038S) beat specifically those Sonys in clarity and slightly in details and separation in the usual sense, but above that the Blons have a unique way to structure natural instruments - tonally as well as spatially - that differs quite a bit from how my other IEMs render those vibes, pretty fascinating. Again, this may have something to do with the crazy high damping factor in that setup, the BL-03 don't sound that amazing to my ears on any of my other DACs or DAPs, including the Sonata USB DAC that you own as well. On the Sonata mid-bass bleed is still an issue and if you ever drained that sort of swamp (150-400HZ) by any means - better impedance bridging/damping or subtractive EQing - you'll notice how much the overall spatial representation and details can improve ... just saying.

At the end of the day though some of my more costly IEMs like my Zeniths.(580€ a while back) clearly leave the Blons in the dust in almost any department, except for depth and layering, the weakest spot of the R1Z but then no other of my IEMs give me goosebumps all over with almost any good recording like the Zeniths (on the 9038S with a low-imp cable) - best money ever spent on any IEM - period - but those Blons sure are more than worth what I paid for them as well.

Oct 7, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #20,160 of 31,833
Like I posted above (Blons vs. MH755) to my ears the BL-03 (again: on the 9038S) beat specifically those Sonys in clarity and slightly in details and separation in the usual sense, but above that the Blons have a unique way to structure natural instruments - tonally as well as spatially - that differs quite a bit from how my other IEMs render those vibes, pretty fascinating. Again, this may have something to do with the crazy high damping factor in that setup, the BL-03 don't sound that amazing to my ears on any of my other DACs or DAPs, including the Sonata USB DAC that you own as well. On the Sonata mid-bass bleed is still an issue and if you ever drained that sort of swamp (150-400HZ) by any means - better impedance bridging/damping or subtractive EQing - you'll notice how much the overall spatial representation and details can improve ... just saying.

At the end of the day though some of my more costly IEMs like my Zeniths.(580€ a while back) clearly leave the Blons in the dust in almost any department, except for depth and layering, the weakest spot of the R1Z but then no other of my IEMs give me goosebumps all over with almost any good recording like the Zeniths (on the 9038S with a low-imp cable) - best money ever spent on any IEM - period - but those Blons sure are more than worth what I paid for them as well.

Yep. The Zeniths sure are special. Possibly my favourite to date. Totally agree about the depth and layering too, where Blons absolutely excel, along with almost unique timbre and spacing. I think Blons do respond to different sources. I don't hear any bass bleed per se...just a slight hollowness on certain recordings. What I really love is the treble, which doesn't often get a mention. It's very present and sweet but not intrusive or artificially enhanced to aid unnecessary detail. Getting the treble right for me is the sign of a true quality IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back