CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 15, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #17,896 of 31,833
Hahaha... Nothing new bro... Love Brentwood area. Have a good friend still living there.

Right on. Not too far from there. We are on the Hill just south of Forest Park.
HillBanner.jpg

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #17,898 of 31,833
By the way, glad that you like the ED9. I tuned that earphones for KZ back in 2014. It remains as one of my favorite tuning today.

Yooo What really??? You're awesome dude!!!! KZ ED9 is like my favourite IEM of all time, I always keep returning to that gem.

May 16, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #17,902 of 31,833
One thing for sure... IM2 is built much tougher than both IM1 and IM1 Pro (which CANNOT be dropped).

I’m glad you mentioned this.

There are some people that don’t believe some of these BA drivers are as fragile as they are. That a simple drop won’t damage the drivers.

Sure, some have outer sleeves and other features that make them more robust, but BAs are much less tolerant to shock force than dynamic drivers.

May 16, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #17,904 of 31,833
Not forgetting that BAs are highly-subjected to climate change. In very humid environments, BAs will age much faster and may get "stucked" often (TRN had a batch of V80 with stucked BAs when shipped to the Philippines). I don't recommend using BA IEMs for sports or workout either. Some folks "perspire" through their ears and this is very, very harmful for BAs.

+1 ... make that a sticky, lol.
(I once killed a pair of Shure E4 with what must have been sweat from my ears that found its way through the filters. One driver suddenly stopped working, never fully recovered and little later the other side followed suit. Some months later I took them apart and found both BAs corroded beyond belief ....$300 through the drain, never again.)

May 16, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #17,905 of 31,833
+1 ... make that a sticky, lol.
(I once killed a pair of Shure E4 with what must have been sweat from my ears that found its way through the filters. One driver suddenly stopped working, never fully recovered and little later the other side followed suit. Some months later I took them apart and found both BAs corroded beyond belief ....$300 through the drain, never again.)

This is why I like budget IEMs for the gym or doing sweaty tasks (mowing the lawn, digging secret tunnels, etc).

I don't care if a $12 ZS4 dies from sweat after 6 months.

May 16, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #17,907 of 31,833
Yooo What really??? You're awesome dude!!!! KZ ED9 is like my favourite IEM of all time, I always keep returning to that gem.
I'm also a fan of the KZ ED9.

But lately, I've stopped listening with IEM's for the most part. To my ears, heaphones just sound SO much better that I only use IEM's if they are an absolute necessity.

I just ordered a pair of Takstar Pro 82s last night to replace my disintegrating Alessandro MS1s. My IEMs all look sad because they are going to sit in a box.

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #17,908 of 31,833
Whats the driver configuration of IM2? 1DD & 1BA like the last ones?

May 16, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #17,909 of 31,833
Hey, guys. I'm torn between TRN X6 and CCA C16/KZ AS16. It seems that X6 are on par/better than beforementioned models, but I fear of high impendance since I use smartphone+mobile DAC/AMP (now it's simple 10$ thing, but I want to upgrade it to something decent in future). What's the best pick In my case?

May 16, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #17,910 of 31,833
This is why I like budget IEMs for the gym or doing sweaty tasks (mowing the lawn, digging secret tunnels, etc).

I don't care if a $12 ZS4 dies from sweat after 6 months.
Neither do I but once we're at it I'd really like to know more about the life expectancy of BAs in general. I guess it depends on a good number of factors and our friend just mentioned a very harmful one above - humidity. Just imagine your fancy multi-thousand $ set of OEM dies on you because of a bl..dy drop of sweat or almost worse ... a slow death due to the humid climate you happen to live in or travel through. Now, usually BA datasheets only list storage temperatures but no humidity limits, same with the manual for the Shure E4; just some temperature limits and not a single mention of humidity or the need to keep those puppies dry. What?
(I just stay away from expensive stuff that I can't fix myself anyway; in case of IEMs anything that can't be opened easily, those Shures still hurt.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back