CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 11, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #10,532 of 31,833
Well I am going to say something out of chi fi as this is the only active thread where I get reply quickly.

There is this headphone called AKG k550.

There is a guide on inner fidelity about a guy who nodded it and his PDF.

Well about akg k550..this headphone was made as a closed backed ultimate reference by akg. It had the sound of open back and isolation of closed back. They sound somewhere 2/3 of akg k702 in soundstage.

Now, there is a old headphone called akg k501. They were a totl headphones in 19's era and they still sound so huge that it make some of today's open back cry. The only issue were bass was present but was weak and instrument definition is little lower to modern headphone, but image was very good, never got congested.

This guy solderdude, nodded it sound like k501 with natural bass extension of closed back, removed all its drawback and can be powered by phone.

I tried my friend modded akg k550 and it felt like akg k501 + holographic depth + more definition and clarity.

It took on akg k812, k712 on soundstage by providing depth where these were even taller and wider.

And I don't want to say that they don't sound tall and wide.

Akg k712 is the biggest soundstager, even bigger than HD800 that sometimes the stage feels artificial. Its so big that you don't like it. It crossed limit of brain staging.

And k550 modded just keep the soundstage to limit of brain. So it sound humongous

May 11, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #10,533 of 31,833
Got the Rose North Forest in the mail today, first impressions is that they are very bass-heavy and it's hard to get past that. Accessories are pretty spartan in comparison to some of my other recent purchases (no carry case, just 4 pairs of silicone tips). I get the sense that the sound could be cleaned up tremendously with EQ, so if anyone can direct me to a frequency graph of them or recommend some good EQ settings I'd appreciate it. Definitely prefer the UiiSiii CM5 without EQ.
Let it burn in perhaps and get use to the sound. I have yet to attempt EQ but then again I might have to send mine back as they forgot to include the mic so have put these to rest... Sorry VENTING:
Sending them back would definitely NOT be free and all I'm getting is a discount for what I actually ordered in the first place, but Penon is open to suggestion. Not too happy and I understand that it can happen, but they should have better offers to cover for their mistakes.
When you buy something for commuting purposes, a mic is essential. :triportsad: As a gift, GF is happy regardless as she enjoys the bass, but it will bother her in the longterm - I'm sure of it.:eye:
Seems I went little wrong with following @dhruvmeena96 "hype" about Rose NF. Luckily I got them only for 15$ with discount. Last (yeah right! ;D ) cheap chi-fi I`m going to buy. I can get 4$ ATE/ATR instead with all the tick-boxes for regular music listener. But maybe going to mod Rose NF to sound better.
Will go to pick up my unit today from post office. Will share OOTB impressions soon.
Well I am going to say something out of chi fi as this is the only active thread where I get reply quickly.

There is this headphone called AKG k550.
There is a guide on inner fidelity about a guy who nodded it and his PDF.
Well about akg k550..this headphone was made as a closed backed ultimate reference by akg. It had the sound of open back and isolation of closed back. They sound somewhere 2/3 of akg k702 in soundstage.
Now, there is a old headphone called akg k501. They were a totl headphones in 19's era and they still sound so huge that it make some of today's open back cry. The only issue were bass was present but was weak and instrument definition is little lower to modern headphone, but image was very good, never got congested.
This guy solderdude, nodded it sound like k501 with natural bass extension of closed back, removed all its drawback and can be powered by phone.
I tried my friend modded akg k550 and it felt like akg k501 + holographic depth + more definition and clarity.
It took on akg k812, k712 on soundstage by providing depth where these were even taller and wider.
And I don't want to say that they don't sound tall and wide.
Akg k712 is the biggest soundstager, even bigger than HD800 that sometimes the stage feels artificial. Its so big that you don't like it. It crossed limit of brain staging.
And k550 modded just keep the soundstage to limit of brain. So it sound humongous
I know his mods about HD681r and HD662F, which are great.... but modifing ~160$ AKG sounds little "too much" for many. Not for me though... but I do not like its design and I already have Fidelio X1 with modified Aune T1 (siemens E88CC goldpin tube buffer) which makes huge holographic soundstage, can`t quite imagine getting even larger soundstage for my preferences as I think it would be too much "hollow" and unnatural, though, I`m total sucker for soundstage.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #10,534 of 31,833
May 11, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #10,535 of 31,833
Finally received my Yersen FEN-2000. As always these days, when I buy new IEM, I compare it to Tin Audio T515, my benchmark and favorite IEM ever.

To start with positives, Yersen has insanely detailed sound, 3D-imaging, instrument layering and separation are absolutely stunning. Left-right channel separation is great. Soundstage is probably the best I have heard to date. Yes, I have to admit that detail and soundstage are even better than Tin Audio T515 which is very impressive.

Unfortunately there "buts":
- Bass is just not powerful enough. It is precise, pleasant but just not loud enough, even with good seal and bass-oriented EQ. From reviews I expected much more.
- Fit: bad for me. Narrow nozzles mean that my favorite tips (M from Rock Zircon) don't work here, I need something wider to get proper isolation, but with narrower nozzle hole (or however it is called in English). So it's really hard to get good seal and comfortable fit at the same time
- Also, volume curve is strange. For outdoor use I normally set volume on my Cowon M2 at 75% of maximum and Yersen sounds fine then (broadly as loud as other IEMs from same league) but indoor I usually set volume at 25-30% of max and while other IEMs sound fine at this volume, Yersen is barely hearable. Not sure if faulty IEM, or it actually happens (I just never encountered it before) or I am simply going crazy. It is not too big of a problem as it's always easy to just increase the volume.

Looking forward to follow-up model when and if Yersen decides to create it, but this one is clearly not going to become my daily driver due to fairly disappointing bass and problems with fit.

In terms of sound, it is definitely brighter than T515 but that's probably natural effect of lack of bass. It is not as bright as Alwup UPC630 (aka E-MI CI880, TIMMKOO C630 etc) which I think belongs to the same category of mildly V-shaped, very detailed $20-30 IEMs.

I would say:
- If you like detail, impressive soundstage, and semi-dark sound, but indifferent to bass, go with Yersen FEN-2000 (you are taking chance on the fit though)
- If you like detail, energetic bass, bright sound, but not too fussed about soundstage, go with Alwup UPC630
- If you like detail, good soundstage, energetic bass, and dark sound, go with Tin Audio T515

Anyone agrees? Anyone cares?

Edit: Reading few pages back, there is not unreasonable suspicion that latest shipments of Fen-2000 are tuned differently to earlier ones. Mine is new, so maybe that explains why I feel bass is lacking while reviews few months back praise the IEM for strong bass.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #10,536 of 31,833
Get the UiiSii CM5 instead if you can get it for below 12-15 USD.

Agreed.

I’m always leery when someone says ‘get this earphone/headphone; it’s awesome as long as you EQ out the X problem(s)’.

No thanks. There are too many other alternatives that don’t need EQ to fix their problems.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #10,537 of 31,833
Which T2 are you talking about: The Tin Audio T2 or the Einsear T2? Your picture shows something else. If it is the Tin Audio T2 (see below) I have had great luck with the Anjiru memory foams from Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pc...ear-pads-for-headphones-T300/32773491286.html But seal and fit is a very personal thing.

Tin%20audioT2-700x700.jpg

Sorry for the confusion - I had the T2s and found the fit poor with a dozen tip options so I was curious of similar ‘cylindrical’ shapes iems like the Final ones I linked would be similar and if so then I’ll just stick to more Shure shapes bodies.

But I literally went in store today to try those finals so problem solved lol.

May 11, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #10,538 of 31,833

As you can see in my sig, I still have and love a pair of K501's. There were actually three different versions made, and the one I have had the most bass. They do not go super deep, but the mids and soundstage are to die for. They are quite holographic with a good source. I built a tube headphone amp for them, and it was a good combination. The original pads were not so good, but you could swap K601 or K701 pads with them. I preferred the 601 pads, so that is what I use with them.

May 11, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #10,539 of 31,833
Seems I went little wrong with following @dhruvmeena96 "hype" about Rose NF. Luckily I got them only for 15$ with discount. Last (yeah right! ;D ) cheap chi-fi I`m going to buy.
I got some harsh reactions when I first criticised the North Forest, but it seems like more and more people dislike them. I tried them again and again, but I just think they sound a bit out of balance and are too shouty om some frequencies. They're already collecting dust in my collection.

Currently, I'm switching back and forth with the blue foam tips from the Tin Audio T2 and the KZ starline tips between my T2 and my Yersen FEN-2000. Man, they borth sound soooo good.

May 11, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #10,540 of 31,833
I got some harsh reactions when I first criticised the North Forest, but it seems like more and more people dislike them. I tried them again and again, but I just think they sound a bit out of balance and are too shouty om some frequencies. They're already collecting dust in my collection.

Currently, I'm switching back and forth with the blue foam tips from the Tin Audio T2 and the KZ starline tips between my T2 and my Yersen FEN-2000. Man, they borth sound soooo good.
Still believe reactions on the Rose NF are harsh not that they are great but not that awful for sure. I also don't have any quality problems with them. It is possible that you have a defective iem. If you have bought it through PayPal you may be able to send it back for free as mentioned before here. Definitely overpriced though. In regard to the Tin Audio T2 the original foam tips are hard and uncomfortable to my ears but offer the most balanced sound. Silicons have the best fit but make them too bright and fatiguing. Please do me a favour and test the filter tips of the Yersen's to the T2 . Also the new pro/bass version is coming out really soon. Tin Audio claims that sealing the vents affects the highs (tried it, didn't like it) so am really curious to see what they have done with the new version.

May 11, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #10,541 of 31,833

Unfortunately, after spending about 40min listening them out of my portable gear, I`m also disappointed.
They are nothing special. Not bad either but I keep thinking why I spent 15$(with discount) to it when I can get 3x ATE for it, which sounds better almost in every aspect (with my gear).
Here is my very short slap about them:
* V-shaped signature which is executed ok actually
* recessed mids (especially lower mids) male vocals sound thin and midrange instruments sound thin
* little brightish tonality
* too shouty on some frequencies (probably higher mids/lower treble)
* littlebit lack deep sub-bass reach
* lack warmth/dynamics/naturality
* soundstage is pretty good and above average... but...
*...but layering and transparency is kind of messy
* don`t quite make me tap my toes (not about bass), sound "cheap" and LQ compared to my ATE FF-mod and not even compareable with ZS5v1(properly amped) & IT01.

hype train off the rails....

I don`t mean this as insult or discredit in bad way... maybe I got bad unit, hear differently, different gear, sound perception etc. ...but I lost credibility in @dhruvmeena96 impressions.

Rose NF should be priced around 10$ max and I wouldn`t give it to my girlfriend/wife as a gift :D

JMHSO :wink:

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #10,542 of 31,833
Since you are looking for small KZ IEMs, and you don't want a deep v shape, I would suggest the KZ HDS3. It is only mildly v shaped, and sounds good with hip hop and rap.

You could also try the UiiSii CM5. It sounds excellent (although a little more v shaped than the HDS3), and it is available in a small size shell (the default size is L sized shell).

Finally, if you want something closer to neutral, and with excellent sound, the Tin Audio T2 is amazing.
coincidentally, i pulled out the hds3 last night for a long walk with the hounds and damn, those things are addictive. megatons of highend detail and sizzle (drums sound great) and full of life. now, if i'm being critical i'd say they need some midbass impact and that (unlike the ed9, ed3c or zs5) their imaging is imprecise, but still a hoot; also comfortable as hell. i have a lot of much pricier microdrivers (echobox finder, klipsch x11) which don't get nearly as much play. $4.95 on gearbest and worth every sou.

May 11, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #10,543 of 31,833
May 11, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #10,544 of 31,833
Finally received my Yersen FEN-2000. As always these days, when I buy new IEM, I compare it to Tin Audio T515, my benchmark and favorite IEM ever.

To start with positives, Yersen has insanely detailed sound, 3D-imaging, instrument layering and separation are absolutely stunning. Left-right channel separation is great. Soundstage is probably the best I have heard to date. Yes, I have to admit that detail and soundstage are even better than Tin Audio T515 which is very impressive.

Unfortunately there "buts":
- Bass is just not powerful enough. It is precise, pleasant but just not loud enough, even with good seal and bass-oriented EQ. From reviews I expected much more.
- Fit: bad for me. Narrow nozzles mean that my favorite tips (M from Rock Zircon) don't work here, I need something wider to get proper isolation, but with narrower nozzle hole (or however it is called in English). So it's really hard to get good seal and comfortable fit at the same time
- Also, volume curve is strange. For outdoor use I normally set volume on my Cowon M2 at 75% of maximum and Yersen sounds fine then (broadly as loud as other IEMs from same league) but indoor I usually set volume at 25-30% of max and while other IEMs sound fine at this volume, Yersen is barely hearable. Not sure if faulty IEM, or it actually happens (I just never encountered it before) or I am simply going crazy. It is not too big of a problem as it's always easy to just increase the volume.

Looking forward to follow-up model when and if Yersen decides to create it, but this one is clearly not going to become my daily driver due to fairly disappointing bass and problems with fit.

In terms of sound, it is definitely brighter than T515 but that's probably natural effect of lack of bass. It is not as bright as Alwup UPC630 (aka E-MI CI880, TIMMKOO C630 etc) which I think belongs to the same category of mildly V-shaped, very detailed $20-30 IEMs.

I would say:
- If you like detail, impressive soundstage, and semi-dark sound, but indifferent to bass, go with Yersen FEN-2000 (you are taking chance on the fit though)
- If you like detail, energetic bass, bright sound, but not too fussed about soundstage, go with Alwup UPC630
- If you like detail, good soundstage, energetic bass, and dark sound, go with Tin Audio T515

Anyone agrees? Anyone cares?

Edit: Reading few pages back, there is not unreasonable suspicion that latest shipments of Fen-2000 are tuned differently to earlier ones. Mine is new, so maybe that explains why I feel bass is lacking while reviews few months back praise the IEM for strong bass.

Wow! Reports on Yersen Fen 2k are all over the place. Glad my order was cancelled by the seller! On the other hand Rose NF seems to be not living up to the initial hype. I have learned to not jump on the train too soon until reports from various members that I trust have trickeled in...Has saved me a lot of money...meanwhile, Loving my Tin Audio T2. Took a minute to get the fit right but the reward was definitely worth it!

May 11, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #10,545 of 31,833
Unfortunately, after spending about 40min listening them out of my portable gear, I`m also disappointed.
They are nothing special. Not bad either but I keep thinking why I spent 15$(with discount) to it when I can get 3x ATE for it, which sounds better almost in every aspect (with my gear).
Here is my very short slap about them:
* V-shaped signature which is executed ok actually
* recessed mids (especially lower mids) male vocals sound thin and midrange instruments sound thin
* little brightish tonality
* too shouty on some frequencies (probably higher mids/lower treble)
* littlebit lack deep sub-bass reach
* lack warmth/dynamics/naturality
* soundstage is pretty good and above average... but...
*...but layering and transparency is kind of messy
* don`t quite make me tap my toes (not about bass), sound "cheap" and LQ compared to my ATE FF-mod and not even compareable with ZS5v1(properly amped) & IT01.

hype train off the rails....

I don`t mean this as insult or discredit in bad way... maybe I got bad unit, hear differently, different gear, sound perception etc. ...but I lost credibility in @dhruvmeena96 impressions.

Rose NF should be priced around 10$ max and I wouldn`t give it to my girlfriend/wife as a gift :D

JMHSO :wink:

burned them in for more than 50 hours, less boomy but the bass is still a bit messy. Best compliment I can give to the RNF is that I'd probably be interested in a hybrid using the DD in it. On some songs it sounds great, on other it sounds unbalanced. A/B-ed with the BGVP DS1 (non-TN, I think), and now currently with the ZS5v1.

edit: its like, you can hear the details but the boominess (is that even a word) of it all kinda hides it, making everything sounds unclean, needs half the volume (comparing to ZS5v1 with their silver cables)

Sounds like the making of a great country song.

I don't listen to much country, is it that brutal, lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back