CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 4, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #8,702 of 31,833
The Comet is at a really attractive price point, but it kinda looks like a hair blow dryer. I think I'll hold out for more impressions.

It do look a bit different. I like the tip up or tip down option though.

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #8,703 of 31,833
Z5000 needs a front vent badly IMO, it would reduce the bass amount as well as solve all seal issues and then perhaps/probably it could be that miracle $50 IEM Otto Motor talks about but as it currently is it is unworkable for me unfortunately.

Just received a Simgot EN700 (not Bass, not Pro) btw.

I'm not a big ''burn in'' praiser....but I remember that I find bass thunderous at first,wich is why I use memory foam, but now bass as tamed down with all hours I give them...cant count but it pass 150H. Still, a front vent isnt a bad idea! Perhaps THIS should be the next version, and not a one using different driver or tweaking.

On another hand, talking about Simgot, **** have a new 4 drivers iem that sell between 45-60$. There very similar to Simgot housing desing. Its 2 DD and 2BA, wich make them very intriguing for me as i'm quite a fan of ****....but i'm afraid about BA being to harsh cause their in front nozzle but who know?
HTB1ZFnvcnXYBeNkHFrdq6AiuVXaY.jpg

HTB1BCzhiDtYBeNjy1Xdq6xXyVXaP.jpg

cheapest price here:https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...9e5496d&transAbTest=ae803_2&priceBeautifyAB=0

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #8,704 of 31,833
It is deeply disrespectful with Everyone that tries to spread information and impressions on a new iem, to call the discussion Bull***. That's the rich and fun part on these forums, to Discover and recommend.

We don't force anyone to take risks. We share information.

The hype is part of the game. And the chi-fi community would'nt exist If It was'nt for "B...rathersomething discussions".
giphy.gif

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #8,705 of 31,833
Summarizing the B...rathersomething discussion.

1. There are no competent reviews anywhere...how do we know they are any good?
2. This version business: does it exist? So far, I have not seen any evidence for it...and nothing on penonaudio either.
3. If these two version exist: which competent reviewer has tried them side by side?
4. No wonder the dealers are confused.
5. So far, I have not seen any miracle iem in the $50 category.
6. This discussion has consisted of lots of hot air so far...turning into panic now.

In the past, there has been a hype gone wrong with the Ivery IS-1. These, currently available at below $10, had been hailed to sound like $1000 iems.
This turned out to be complete bogus and a total embarrassment for the guy who started the thread.

As I said before: $50 here and there on mediocre iems add up. And the excellent iBasso are only $35 away!

Caution is advised!

There are some that SOUND and external aesthetic matters most, the rest is secondary. For me this is a very good looking IEM with promising specs. This is why I invested so much effort researching as much information as I could before copping it. And also because I don't have that much cash laying around to buy expensive IEMs. This is also the reason why I'm in this thread.

I personally don't force other people to buy this specific IEM because I know we all have different tastes and I don't think I'm hyping this product either. It's just so happen that there are information in this thread regarding this product that is very useful for me.
I guess it's a bit unfair forcing someone to buy something he doesn't really like.

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #8,706 of 31,833
The Fidue A65 are excellent and worth the $50. I’m letting my dad use them with foam tips for his flight to Hawaii.

Also you said the UE 900s sounds the most natural, I was wondering if you could give some of your thoughts on them (especially the midrange, since some people are somewhat split on them). I’m trying to decide between those or the FLC8S because I have $160 in Amazon gift cards.
Amazon has 'em for $234:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ultimate-Noise-Isolating-Earphones-VERSION/dp/B00JB66VX4

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #8,707 of 31,833
I agree on the caution thing.

But It is deeply disrespectful with Everyone that tries to spread information and impressions on a new iem, to call the discussion Bull***. That's the rich and fun part on these forums, to Discover and recommend.

Cheers.
MISUNDERSTANDING: I didn't call anything bull...I was referring to the complicated, unmemorable name "BV...something"...which I cannot remember in detail. That's why the B is capitalized. The "bull..." is your interpretation only, it does not exist in writing.

But it is a good example how imagination trumps reality in this forum.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #8,708 of 31,833
i agree with these impressions of the ue900s--when you listen to it next to very good $100 phones like the it01 or pioneer se, the ue900s clearly resolves better and sounds less reproduced and more natural. my reservations are with the plasticy aesthetics and design--it's hard to fit and its stock cables are microphonic and less-than-premium. to me it's priced right at $179.
That's the tradeoff: better build = much more money. That aforementioned $8 "upgrade" cable from AE makes fitting much easier. Judging the price has much to do with the alternatives for similar money.

I am generally at a loss whether the Campfire Audio et al. are really worth >>$1000. Or this one...errr....starting at $264 A MONTH!!!!!

U18 | 64 Audio | In-Ear Monitors.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #8,709 of 31,833
MISUNDERSTANDING: I didn't call anything bull...I was referring to the complicated, unmemorable name "BV...something"...which I cannot remember in detail. That's why the B is capitalized. The "bull..." is your interpretation only, it does not exist in writing.

But it is a good example how imagination trumps reality in this forum.

Alright then, Sorry. But It really looked what i tought It was.

My bad.

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #8,710 of 31,833
I am generally at a loss whether the Campfire Audio et al. are really worth >>$1000. Or this one...errr....starting at $264 A MONTH!!!!!

Having purchased a couple of more expensive iems, I can say that "Worth it" is certainly in the eye of the beholder. My own personal journey has yielded a few thoughts.

1.) The first step is the biggest. Going from the headphones or earphones that came with your devices to a purpose built pair is a huge jump up in sound quality.

2.) The farther up the scale you go, the more you pay for smaller and smaller amounts of change. I liken this to building a drag car. To go from 16 second to 13 second quarter mile times might cost $15000 or roughly 5k per second. To go from 10 seconds down to 9 in the quarter mile will likely cost more like $240,000. The costs to go from 9 to 8.5 might be $420,000 etc...

3.) Also staying with car analogy, if the driver, fuel, track etc. aren't up to the task, your 9 second car is still going to turn in 12 second times. With audio your sound is as good as the poorest device in the chain be that the source file, the DAP, the AMP, the cable, or the headphones. If you are going to stick with a factory smartphone as your source, you may well reach a point where spending more to get better headphones will not result in any noticeable difference.

Most of us do not drive the most utilitarian thing we could, we want something that expresses our own style while at the same time providing the transportation we need and here again audio is the same way. How they look, the branding, the marketing, and other factors other than purely how they sound come into play. We have had people here that only want certain colors, dislike other colors, don't like certain cable styles, with mic/without mic, and the list goes on. When it comes right down to it, how many of us would be happy wearing around an earphone that looked like you had a dog turd sticking out of your ear? What if that turd cost $20 and sounded better than the ie800? My bet is they would sell but an awful lot of DIY would ensue to make them presentable.

I'm happy with IEMs I have bought between the $200 and $300 mark and don't really have any great desire to go buy an $1800 flagship, but if someone else does and has the resources to put toward it, I am not going to judge them for it. On the other hand, if you have $25k in credit card debt because you had to have the newest, latest, and greatest, I'll be happy to judge you for that as it seems quite foolish to me to buy any non-essential item on borrowed money.

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #8,711 of 31,833
That's the tradeoff: better build = much more money. That aforementioned $8 "upgrade" cable from AE makes fitting much easier. Judging the price has much to do with the alternatives for similar money.

as with cars, watches, etc, there's a lot besides performance and build that justify the asking price--aesthetics, exclusivity, brand prestige. i care little about the label on my iems, but i do think that once you get north of $100 or so you should get more premium materials, good accessories and rigid quality control/customer support, etc.

Apr 4, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #8,712 of 31,833
I can never make an analogy between a car and an earphone, cars need much more design and testing. There are a lot of intricate moving and stationary parts of a car and a much bigger amount of materials used. they need strength to take the pounding of travel at speed. A headphone is a toy in comparison.

Apr 4, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #8,713 of 31,833
People make analogies to human body parts all the time. Arguably the most complex machine known to man.

Apr 4, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #8,714 of 31,833
Most of us do not drive the most utilitarian thing we could, we want something that expresses our own style while at the same time providing the transportation we need
I'm driving my dream car, (I have twisted dreams,) a 95 Toyota Camry Wagon...
toyota-camry-wagon.jpg
...This one is not mine. A bit nicer than mine, actually. Lots of room to keep my Chi-Fi collection in though.

Apr 4, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #8,715 of 31,833

The Lker i8 are an earphone that has not seen many reviews but many praises for its excellent resolution and its outstanding mids/vocal reproduction. I have been struggling with it for some time as its mid bass was pounding unpleasantly against my eardrums. But more recently, I have been playing with eartips and found that the Tennmak Whirlwind with the wide bore tame the mid bass and bring the best out of it for my ears.

I´ve been tinkering with the Lker little bit, it is actually pretty easy to get almost ruler flat bass from them by taping the back vent with some micropore tape (and possibly poking a tiny hole in the tape).
Bass can be dropped down to T2 levels, my T2 is comming so I will be able to compare them directly in a few weeks...
I can post my measurements if anyone is interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back