CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 3, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #8,656 of 31,833
Would somebody please summarize the BGVP DS1 story.

1. Where is the hype coming from? I can't find any competent reviews - where are they?
2. There are two versions, one called V1 and the other TN? What is the evidence for it - and inhowfar are they different?
3. Both versions are retailing at different prices at Penon? Can only find one model and one price there.
4. Where is the good deal here?

Thanks!

Apr 3, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #8,657 of 31,833
Would somebody please summarize the BGVP DS1 story.

1. Where is the hype coming from? I can't find any competent reviews - where are they?
2. There are two versions, one called V1 and the other TN? What is the evidence for it - and inhowfar are they different?
3. Both versions are retailing at different prices at Penon? Can only find one model and one price there.
4. Where is the good deal here?

Thanks!
@Otto Motor .....it came from telement no made forum and rythmos sd7 headfi forum.

I think reviewers never thought of reviewing it and some of old guys are to busy to make a proper set review.

TN version is V1, and Normal version is actually v2...TN is v1 and other is v2.

V1 is actually a Mid monster following loudness diffuse field.

V2 is consumer oriented tuning.

Apr 3, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #8,658 of 31,833
I just cant decide which iems to get :triportsad:

I really want something that goes in the direction of a HE-500 soundwise.

KZ ZS6 - I am afraid these could be to bright for me.
TRN V20 - Not enough information, sound Interesting tho.
FEN-2000 - Cable is very thin, I really dont like that

Am I stuck forever in an undecided state?

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #8,660 of 31,833
Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #8,661 of 31,833

The KZ ZS6 is a risk for sure. And I don't know the other two - and they don't interest me as they are more of the same. The iBasso IT01 is an iem everybody loves, but it is $99 and well worth every penny.

I am presently waiting for the Fidue A65, a well reviewed iem currently on sale for $53.90 at penonaudio. Like the iBasso, it is said to play in a way more expensive class. It is my idea of Chifi to get good value. And I am not in for the hype.
https://www.bestearphonesguide.co.uk/reviews/fidue-a65-review/

Of all the cheap recent Chifi, I really enjoy the KZ ZSR...nice, full and warm, no piercing, nothing wrong...and I have all of their recent iems.

ADDENDUM: I was going through my MTV unplugged collection today using the UE900S ($400 list price), the iBasso IT01, and the KZ ZS5/ZS6/ZSR.

The UE900S sounded the most natural (but could have been clearer), the iBasso the funnest (diminishing return between the first two, price wise). Eric Clapton suddenly got pneumonia when using the ZS5 v1. The ZSR came surprisingly close to the iBasso, Clapton sounded full and warm again. Just great cheapos. Finally, the ZS6: Clapton sang like a robot. I am presently back to the ZSR...they sound like music. Very enjoyable. Read B9Scrambler's review, he nailed it.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #8,662 of 31,833
The KZ ZS6 is a risk for sure. And I don't know the other two - and they don't interest me as they are more of the same. The iBasso IT01 is an iem everybody loves, but it is $99 and well worth every penny.

I am presently waiting for the Fidue A65, a well reviewed iem currently on sale for $53.90 at penonaudio. Like the iBasso, it is said to play in a way more expensive class. It is my idea of Chifi to get good value. And I am not in for the hype.

Of all the cheap recent Chifi, I really enjoy the KZ ZSR...nice, full, and warm, no piercing, nothing wrong...and I have all of their recent iems.

Love my ZSRs. :thumbsup:

Apr 3, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #8,663 of 31,833

Of all the cheap recent Chifi, I really enjoy the KZ ZSR...nice, full and warm, no piercing, nothing wrong...and I have all of their recent iems.

ADDENDUM: I was going through my MTV unplugged collection today using the UE900S ($400 list price), the iBasso IT01, and the KZ ZS5/ZS6/ZSR.

The UE900S sounded the most natural (but could have been clearer), the iBasso the funnest (diminishing return between the first two, price wise). Eric Clapton suddenly got pneumonia when using the ZS5 v1. The ZSR came surprisingly close to the iBasso, Clapton sounded full and warm again. Just great cheapos. Finally, the ZS6: Clapton sang like a robot. I am presently back to the ZSR...they sound like music. Very enjoyable. Read B9Scrambler's review, he nailed it.
The Fidue A65 are excellent and worth the $50. I’m letting my dad use them with foam tips for his flight to Hawaii.

Also you said the UE 900s sounds the most natural, I was wondering if you could give some of your thoughts on them (especially the midrange, since some people are somewhat split on them). I’m trying to decide between those or the FLC8S because I have $160 in Amazon gift cards.

Apr 3, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #8,664 of 31,833
The Fidue A65 are excellent and worth the $50. I’m letting my dad use them with foam tips for his flight to Hawaii.

Also you said the UE 900s sounds the most natural, I was wondering if you could give some of your thoughts on them (especially the midrange, since some people are somewhat split on them). I’m trying to decide between those or the FLC8S because I have $160 in Amazon gift cards.

I got the UE900S for $179 at massdrop (and don't know the FLC8S at all). So did my neighbour, who writes in a super best forum we are not allowed to mention to our audio friends here.

Before I bought them, I consulted extensively with Hifi Chris. He told me that, if you want to get a noticeably better sound, you have to spend 1000 to 2000 EUR. The UE900S is a benchmark earphone and the price of $179 was ridiculously low (though I would not spend $400 on any earphone/headphone other than the Sennheiser HD600 and the Etymotic 4 series). Its layering and resolution is head and shoulders above any other iem I own. It is not quite neutrally tuned as audiophiles would expect but rather has a slight fun signature. They shine when it comes to more complex music such as classical or jazz, but they don't set themselves very much apart from cheaper ones when playing, let/s say AC/DC.

As to the missing mids: I cannot share this concern. The mids are just fine and voices sound very natural. I don't know what should be missing - and I like a good midrange with presence in the voice department (lacking midrange was my criticism of my ZS5 v1.). My friend and neighbour who writes as "biodegraded" in the aforementioned forum, confirmed this.

My only criticism: they don't have any better haptic than a $20 KZ earphone. Cables are also cheap...I just added an $8 one from AE.

In summary, the UE900S is great value for money. It is frequently discounted because it has an old-fashioned, dated, uncool design (which will one day re-appear as retro); in the meantime, the company has buried their former flagship under a new selection of flashier, much more expensive iems.

I would buy the UE900S again any day. And for $179 I would not ask any questions.

Hey, and if you gave me your amazon coupons, I would like to try this good German design: Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #8,665 of 31,833

You know, this is what I read between the lines in the iBasso IT01 reviews. I believe that I already have the budget iBasso with my beloved ZSR.

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #8,667 of 31,833
Ok, insane update from the BGVP DS1 v1 front, from the Audio&Video Professional Store on AliExpress.

With the deadline of shipment closing in, in six hours, I received a personal message that I shouldn’t be afraid and that they will certainly deliver the v1/ TN Forum version. I get the Ali push the BGVP is shipped.

Two hours later, they ask me for my PayPal account because ‘the package seems to has been lost on the way’.

Well... I won’t see this IEM anytime soon... fingers crossed I have better luck with the ZhiYin Z5000 I just ordered.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #8,668 of 31,833

I have both UE900S and FLC8S and don't really like either of them but if having the choice between the two only I would take the UE900S. FLC8S has coherency issues to my ears and is also very soft sounding due to a 5khz dip that cannot be corrected with changing filters, as I listen to a lot of stuff that has fuzzy electric guitars, it just doesn't have enough bite and grit because of it. Build and fit is much better with the FLC8S however but the UE900S has one of the best set of eartips bundled with it, you get at least two sets (I got three with mine) of tips, all wide bore with 3 different sizes for foamies and 5 different sizes for silicon which I think are better than the JVC spiral dots.

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #8,669 of 31,833

First time I laughed out loud all day and it's 10p.m..
Just priceless!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back