CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Feb 3, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #6,601 of 31,833
Sure. When you use micropore, bass and sub come up to a slightly warm level (perhaps 2-3dB more than ideal flat) and the whole balance goes from neutral/bright to neutral/warm. The problem is that bass gets a subtle bloaty boom to it (not a big deal honestly) but the perceived imaging and detail and resolution take a serious hit. Piercing a small hole in the tape is a very solid middle ground between modded and stock - you end up with a smaller vent hole but it is still there and sound gets a tiny bit more bass than stock.
What makes T2 seriously good is how the slightly reduced bass brings up everything else and you only get a small headroom to play around until all the magic is gone to the bass presence.
AudioBudget's graphs show a 15dB boost @50Hz with blu tack for front vent, that is 2.5 times more bass than stock - getting into a heavy V shape territory easily and T2 is just not made for this.

I understand the value of this kind of sites but I realized that how I hear things and how it's written on AudioBudget is very different in some crucial areas, most importantly the perception of overall tonal balance. I am not saying that I'm dismissing everything on that site, there is still lots of info there that has some weight, but not nearly as much as I thought before.

Very well explained, impressive really! Not try it yet but sure will!
True, the little brightness in mids stick in my ears and I like mid bass warming magical power when it occur!
Will get back with some impressions about this intriguing mod.

And for AB site, think the same as you, but I like to find new unknown gems as you can see with this thread:wink:
So, I crave for info everywhere I can and this Igor have been in chifi for quite a long time...perhaps he was a 14 years old kid when I begin to read his review lol Anyway, we like to find exceptional IEM here...we need lot of tester for that as well!

Feb 3, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #6,603 of 31,833
Well i want to know how you made a small hole in t2 front vent micropore...@vladstef

Second, i want to ask all the guys present..

Well tinaudio t2 vs zhiyin z5000 vs kz zs6 vs tfz king

Just used a needle and tried to get it equally large on both sides. Micropore sticks very nicely so puncturing it while it's over the hole is possible without making it slide around and not get punctured. It took me a couple of tries till I got it equal on both sides. Resulting hole is around 2 times smaller in diameter then original vent. It should boost the bass just a bit - I personally think T2 needs it and most importantly, not disturb rest of the sound. Some people might not need it after all, modded and stock aren't worlds apart.

This might be possible with clear tape as well, but I find it less sticky and less durable that way. Micropore is a safe bet for this kind of modding, pretty much in every case. Also, foam tips are quite good with T2, silicons are perhaps way too analytical, but as always, ymmv.
(Smaller hole = more bass, it really is a sensitive adjustment)
20180204_043359.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #6,604 of 31,833
FYI, if you replace the red nylon nozzle mesh with stainless mesh, the EDR1&2 improve even more.

How do you remove the red nylon nozzle? Peel it off with a needle?

And, can you buy "KZ starline tips" somewhere? Can't find them on aliexpress.

Feb 3, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #6,605 of 31,833
Well i want to know how you made a small hole in t2 front vent micropore...@vladstef

Second, i want to ask all the guys present..

Well tinaudio t2 vs zhiyin z5000 vs kz zs6 vs tfz king

can't say about z5000 and the zs6, but i have the king and T2. The T2 has a more leaner and cleaner mids and highs, also more focused on the sub bass, while the King also compliments the bass with more forward and impactful midbass, resulting in more punchier overall preaentation (T2 is more laid back). King also has thicker soundstage, while the T2 is more "blacker" blackground and more spaced staging.

Feb 4, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #6,608 of 31,833
can't say about z5000 and the zs6, but i have the king and T2. The T2 has a more leaner and cleaner mids and highs, also more focused on the sub bass, while the King also compliments the bass with more forward and impactful midbass, resulting in more punchier overall preaentation (T2 is more laid back). King also has thicker soundstage, while the T2 is more "blacker" blackground and more spaced staging.

Couple quick questions about the t2. Does the Sub-Bass Remain Tight/controlled ? if so, does this change with eq settings? and.... Do the Highs ever get Piercing or harsh/unpleasant?

Feb 4, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #6,609 of 31,833
On the subject of Equalizers, I got a Xiaomi Mi5 Smartphone and it has some presets for "mi sound enhancement" or something like that. Presets for their piston, headphones, hybrids etc. Any opinions on if this is worth using at all?
I also use Poweramp as my music player app, they also got a EQ which you can play with and some presets for specific genres.
Most people here seem to dislike EQ, and just want headphones IEM, that sound good ootb, but is using EQ really that bad to counter specific weaknesses?

edit: my bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 4, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #6,611 of 31,833
Couple quick questions about the t2. Does the Sub-Bass Remain Tight/controlled ? if so, does this change with eq settings? and.... Do the Highs ever get Piercing or harsh/unpleasant?

yes, i tried boosting around 30hz and also the 60hz, the bass stays focused and not getting bloated. the highs on the T2 is not harsh at all, even when boosted. yet it still maintains clarity and sparkle. by the way, I'm using the eq of the Radsone Hi-res player on my phone

Feb 4, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #6,613 of 31,833
Hum, and as share before they have 2 version of EDR1 (damn KZ for all this new version stuffs!), as i'm in no rush I will way that you confirm the gearbest are same one that you rave about. As soon as I know: will buy faster than zoro.

Thanks for the link of contraptionist, make I while I don't go there and this is really informative read! Got same conclusion about ED4 being to harsh fowards and trebly vs ED3 being kinda neutral with punchy bass and clear mids and details, perhaps not the biggest soundstage but quite a mature soundsignature for such a price and impressive housing construction IMO

That marketing literature for the "new" driver for the EDR1 is very old. They changed to the "new" driver almost 2 years ago. I've bought multiple EDR1s - from Aliexpress, ebay, and Gearbest - and they all sound identical and use the same "new" driver.

So I think you're safe - just pick up a pair and enjoy the $4 awesomeness that is the EDR1 haha :)

Or EDR2. They are basically the same other than color (or so close you could chalk up any perceivable differences to QC).

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #6,614 of 31,833
On the subject of Equalizers, I got a Xiaomi Mi5 Smartphone and it has some presets for "mi sound enhancement" or something like that. Presets for their piston, headphones, hybrids etc. Any opinions on if this is worth using at all?
I also use Poweramp as my music player app, they also got a EQ which you can play with and some presets for specific genres.
Most people here seem to dislike EQ, and just want headphones IEM, that sound good ootb, but is using EQ really that bad to counter specific weaknesses?

Quite the contrary, I love EQ. It's great for squeezing the most out of your purchases, vs just continuously flushing money down the toilet always looking for the "perfect" sound.

Now, I agree that I'd rather have gear that sounds the way I want without having to resort to EQ as a band-aid. But what would you rather have - an IEM you love (fit, build quality, micro details, separation, etc) and can tweak it a few dB and use the crap out of it and enjoy, or one that just sits in a drawer gathering dust because you don't want to EQ it a few dB?

I find one of the best uses for EQ is tweaking treble. Rolled off treble is so common with a lot of gear, and yet so easy to fix with EQ. Or bump midrange a few dB to help with your favorite headphones for movie watching. A bump of a couple of dBs is usually all that's needed.

And it's so easy with something like Rockbox, which allows you to make changes to a custom EQ profile, and then save that profile to the name of your headphone.

It's also handy when modding gear - you can A/B modded vs stock gear, and if you are unsure of the frequency changes your mods did you can use EQ on the stock gear to find out exactly what frequency was affected and about how much.

I'm 100% supporter in the power of EQ.

And yes, I know that cutting EQ is better than boosting EQ, as well as all of the other anti-EQ arguments. I say forget the naysayers - to each his own. Try it for yourself, and you may like it or hate it. What do you have to lose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back