CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Feb 3, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #6,588 of 31,845
Thats a shame really. You should write your story to the seller and ask for refund ASAP.

Now, i'm little less intrigued by these cause of serious QC issue....but you look so impress by sound, even with this torturous defects....well well.

I own in the past Auglamour AG-R8 and wasn't impress at all by the sound....but these look something different from another league.

Thanks for the support, but I don't really want to go through the process, especially given that I am in Serbia which is not the best place to ship from and customs are a nightmare from time to time. I will sell bluetooth module locally and given that I got them on a serious discount, I will cover most of my expenses (the fact that I lost the things that I got because of that promo isn't the biggest issue as I can't stand bluetooth after all + I now have a beautiful shell ready for some future DIY project). There are many 10mm drivers that will fit RT-1 like a glove and I could use a leftover BA hole as a front vent of sorts and remove that driver flex (which is probably returning regardless of the DD inside).
One thing is for sure, these shells are going to be filled with something that sounds good.

Funny side note - these are the first IEMs that regularly make people stare and I kinda show them off like a woman shows off her heels or something.

giphy.gif

Feb 3, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #6,589 of 31,845
Went ahead and ordered the Yersen FEN-2000 because I'm a sucker for braided MMCX cables without memory wire. I'll post impressions once I get it.
I also saw these in the related items from the same store, which looked interesting. Hi-Res certification, nice-looking (albeit non-detachable) cable, metal construction.

Feb 3, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #6,590 of 31,845
Went ahead and ordered the Yersen FEN-2000 because I'm a sucker for braided MMCX cables without memory wire. I'll post impressions once I get it.
I also saw these in the related items from the same store, which looked interesting. Hi-Res certification, nice-looking (albeit non-detachable) cable, metal construction.

Look for poyatu pt1 Review in audiobudget. Seems like these are not so good.

Feb 3, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #6,591 of 31,845
Hehe, now, talking so much about EDR1 and 2...I guess I will order one!

My head is ringing after comparative listen between UE900S, Sennheiser CX5.00, Focal Sphear, Brainwavz B100, NAD Viso HP20, and KZ EDR1.

Well, the UE900S are obviously the best sounding - albeit nowhere near perfect but with a very focused bass - the NADs drowned that woman's voice of Django Django in bass mud, her voice had to be searched for in the Senns, the Focal and BW two held up soso, and the EDR1 really are a well rounded earphone: everything there, nothing missing, nothing bad.

Again, respect to KZ

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #6,592 of 31,845
My QC issues with Auglamour RT-1 continued today. After fixing one side where DD popped out of place, it started to completely cut of from time to time and after opening them again, the circuit board on the back of the driver was not glued enough and was almost separated from driver. Tried to glue it back, cutting off remained and my tinkering with it resulted in broken coil wires. Even then I didn't give up hope because I knew I could fix it back if I could isolate these small wires from the black goo that holds them from the back board to the membrane. Unfortunately, I only managed to save one of them while the other one was cut = useless driver.

Then I opened the working side because I was thinking about buying a new pair of 10mm drivers to put inside. First thing: confirmation that I was definitely right about polarity - one of my sides had wrong internal wiring resulting in polarity issues (I knew about this and was just careful to connect one side with cables inverted). The most bizarre thing is that they inverted wires on one cable for the bluetooth module - they knew that they f-ed up wiring and instead of rewiring inside the IEM they just ordered one cable to be wired in wrong polarity essentially "fixing" the issue with this pair - too bad that they didn't think of the people who might not know enough about audio and who might end up thinking that 3rd party cables suck. This is also a very bad business practice that I did not expect.

And one more point of frustration - Balanced Armatures do not perform the same on both sides and after closer inspection, the properly working BA is a full range driver (I also suspected this given the size of the driver which is too big to be a tweeter).

The weirdest thing is that even with ridiculously messed up pair of RT-1 that I received, it sounded sublime. I don't know exactly if this is an isolated case but I sure hope that it is because I believe in Auglamour and still have high hopes for them. Their RX-1 is a very good example of a spectacular product and RT-1 probably is as well (for most people I think).

Wow, it sounds quite fubar!

I'm kinda glad I didn't jump on the hype train on these. The unique/bold look of it almost drew me in, but it's not worth it if it's riddled with QC problems and/or falls apart after a few months!

Feb 3, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #6,593 of 31,845
Audiobudget dude like them but especially for built, sound look strange and even 5 stars IEM he suggest aren't always WOW creature so I consider Igor kinda not enough severe and only try his 5 stars or excellent (and hysterical) sound rating.

Can find the review Poyatu P1 here:
https://audiobudget.com/product/POYATU/P1

About Fenn-2000 it's very hard to abstein myself and wait for impressions as whole package look too interesting. It include some kind of NEW DESIGN silicone eartips with metal mesh...can be very interesting to tame so agressive IEM....

Feb 3, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #6,594 of 31,845
Hmmmmm....rather similar to the EDR2 and not any worse. I prefer them over the ED3.
https://thecontraptionist.blog/2016...-place-to-begin-your-audiophile-journey-pt-2/

Hum, and as share before they have 2 version of EDR1 (damn KZ for all this new version stuffs!), as i'm in no rush I will way that you confirm the gearbest are same one that you rave about. As soon as I know: will buy faster than zoro.

Thanks for the link of contraptionist, make I while I don't go there and this is really informative read! Got same conclusion about ED4 being to harsh fowards and trebly vs ED3 being kinda neutral with punchy bass and clear mids and details, perhaps not the biggest soundstage but quite a mature soundsignature for such a price and impressive housing construction IMO

Feb 3, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #6,595 of 31,845
In contrast to my current experience with RT-1, T2 has been nothing but glorious. I taped front vents with micropore tape and punctured a small hole in the tape which brought bass and sub to a better level. Just micropore has a negative effect on a lot of aspects, I can only imagine what clear tape or blu tack does. AudioBudget lost all credibility with me after this, going for insane bass while trumping the rest of the sound is never the way in my book.

Feb 3, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #6,596 of 31,845
In contrast to my current experience with RT-1, T2 has been nothing but glorious. I taped front vents with micropore tape and punctured a small hole in the tape which brought bass and sub to a better level. Just micropore has a negative effect on a lot of aspects, I can only imagine what clear tape or blu tack does. AudioBudget lost all credibility with me after this, going for insane bass while trumping the rest of the sound is never the way in my book.
Can you explain (again perhaps) the difference it do? I have micropore tape and will test it for sure cause something just don't work between me and T2.....
I see Audiobudget as a chifi explorer and kind of the ultimate guinea pigs, to take always with a grain of salt....like most reviewer I guess. His 5 stars rated iem always worth more investigation, but this guy search for real, he's not find by a PIMP like some others....I think its passion about chifi is sincere. But interested too as 99.9% of human being that give effort for something.

Feb 3, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #6,597 of 31,845
On the subject of Equalizers, I got a Xiaomi Mi5 Smartphone and it has some presets for "mi sound enhancement" or something like that. Presets for their piston, headphones, hybrids etc. Any opinions on if this is worth using at all?
I also use Poweramp as my music player app, they also got a EQ which you can play with and some presets for specific genres.
Most people here seem to dislike EQ, and just want headphones IEM, that sound good ootb, but is using EQ really that bad to counter specific weaknesses?

Feb 3, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #6,598 of 31,845
On the subject of Equalizers, I got a Xiaomi Mi5 Smartphone and it has some presets for "mi sound enhancement" or something like that. Presets for their piston, headphones, hybrids etc. Any opinions on if this is worth using at all?
I also use Poweramp as my music player app, they also got a EQ which you can play with and some presets for specific genres.
Most people here seem to dislike EQ, and just want headphones IEM, that sound good ootb, but is using EQ really that bad to counter specific weaknesses?

If you can save a bad sounding IEM with EQ, its excellent, if you can give more bass to a good sounding IEM without making it sounding worst, its good too! But if you plan buying an IEM that is suppose to sound good just EQed, its a NO go for sure. EQ can save bad choice, but its like today medecin, like corticosteroid, it will just patch the disease symptom and never heal it, so, when you will use your IEM on a device that don't got EQ (or must certainly a different sounding one) you will have to deal with this disease again and again. Personally, I don't want to be addict to EQ, it look like to be worst that too analytical of sound rendering, i'm sad about people overly using EQ, really, its like seing somebody that cannot stop to scratch himself to feel better.

Feb 3, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #6,599 of 31,845
Can you explain (again perhaps) the difference it do? I have micropore tape and will test it for sure cause something just don't work between me and T2.....
I see Audiobudget as a chifi explorer and kind of the ultimate guinea pigs, to take always with a grain of salt....like most reviewer I guess. His 5 stars rated iem always worth more investigation, but this guy search for real, he's not find by a PIMP like some others....I think its passion about chifi is sincere. But interested too as 99.9% of human being that give effort for something.

Sure. When you use micropore, bass and sub come up to a slightly warm level (perhaps 2-3dB more than ideal flat) and the whole balance goes from neutral/bright to neutral/warm. The problem is that bass gets a subtle bloaty boom to it (not a big deal honestly) but the perceived imaging and detail and resolution take a serious hit. Piercing a small hole in the tape is a very solid middle ground between modded and stock - you end up with a smaller vent hole but it is still there and sound gets a tiny bit more bass than stock.
What makes T2 seriously good is how the slightly reduced bass brings up everything else and you only get a small headroom to play around until all the magic is gone to the bass presence.
AudioBudget's graphs show a 15dB boost @50Hz with blu tack for front vent, that is 2.5 times more bass than stock - getting into a heavy V shape territory easily and T2 is just not made for this.

I understand the value of this kind of sites but I realized that how I hear things and how it's written on AudioBudget is very different in some crucial areas, most importantly the perception of overall tonal balance. I am not saying that I'm dismissing everything on that site, there is still lots of info there that has some weight, but not nearly as much as I thought before.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #6,600 of 31,845

I also have a Mi5. I use Poweramp as well. About this earphones option on miui. I use this sound enhancemet by default on the option "earbuds". It makes every iem sound better in all aspects for me. Without them the mi5 sounds awful. I use nothing on the equalizer of the system. And nothing on Poweramp as well, only tweaking If a want more Bass or less treble for a particular resson in Poweramp. 90% If the time all flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back