CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 9, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #5,866 of 31,833
I'll chime in here... I have a set of Pro4AA cans. I bought them because I owned the originals back in the 70s and remembered them fondly. Big mistake. The reissues sound uninspiring. When the cable shorted out, I didn't feel the need to get it repaired. Heavy, uncomfortable and uninspiring, to describe them in three words.
The 70s version was much better. I loved those things...

Feel free to take my review with a grain of salt... in the 70s I had (lots of) hair... now I shave my head, so the seal and closeness to my eardrums have changed, as well as my reduced hearing abilities over time.

I do like my KSC75s though :ksc75smile:

Also- the 70s version featured liquid-filled ear cushions, at least until it all leaked out on you and your gear, lol.

Jan 9, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #5,867 of 31,833
I will give those Starlines a try.

Thanks for the TIP tip @Slater.
There was also a mention of New Bee Foams, from @Crumblenaut,

I have both and will try them.

I like my ZS6, and ES3, but when I am in the lab at work those "look" as though I am closing out the world.

With the I880, I "can" close out the world, and still appear to be listening to my boss!:ksc75smile:

Not the New Bee Foams, but the silicone tips they sell. Spiral Dots work best for me though, can’t comment on the Starlines as even the Large size don’t give me a seal.

Jan 9, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #5,868 of 31,833
Are there any good cheap IEMs (<25euro) with nice bass and some clarity besides the Swing IE800 & UrbanFun. It's as a gift to replace a broken Swing IE800. The UrbanFun is a bit too kid like unfortunately.

Jan 9, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #5,869 of 31,833
My new favorite are quite obscure, but I think you will adore them cause it meet soundsignature you search, but I can suggest you 2 different price range: first its about 40$ (or 50$ wich cable) and its call ZHIYIN Z5000, it have a U shape sound with plenty of bass and good immersive mids and sparkly but smooth high with wide soundstage and impressive microdetails, 2 is 20-24$ and its call NICEHCK Bro, it have enormous soundstage as well as near bassy bass but it do not interfer with mids and have an overall warm and musical sound (my review about them for more info:https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/nicehck-bro-in-ear-earphone-1dd-1ba-hybrid-earphone.22800/reviews)

Thanks for the advice! What would you recommend in a 80 usd range? I def like the nicehk look and also like multiple drivers, as far as it makes the sound better ofcourse.

Jan 9, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #5,870 of 31,833
Are there any good cheap IEMs (<25euro) with nice bass and some clarity besides the Swing IE800 & UrbanFun. It's as a gift to replace a broken Swing IE800. The UrbanFun is a bit too kid like unfortunately.
at that price: senzer h1, adax ht06, e-mi c1800, perhaps the seafh awk009

Jan 9, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #5,871 of 31,833
Not the New Bee Foams, but the silicone tips they sell. Spiral Dots work best for me though, can’t comment on the Starlines as even the Large size don’t give me a seal.
Thanks... I was thinking silicone..... My thumbs were thinking foam.

I do have both at home to try out tonight.

Jan 9, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #5,872 of 31,833
What tips are people using on their b100s?

I'm using the large included ones, but I think I'm going to try the Westone True-Fit and Star Combo Pack and see if any of them will keep me from feeling the need to fiddle with them in my weird right ear. The sizes vary more in length than in diameter:

westone-star-insert.jpg

westone-truefit-insert.jpg

You get five pairs each of the foams and silicones for $15. That's almost a bargain compared to other premium tips.

Jan 9, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #5,873 of 31,833
In the very link that you posted there is a option to a Black one, that's exactly the same as the one you said to not look like hybrid. There is a photo showing the drivers arrangement. They are hybrid.

About Aliexpress, search exactly for "water drop headphones" and you should find both Black and Silver. Go read the specs and you'll see that they use the same drivers.

The listing for the black iem under blumuze doesn't refer to hybrid. Look at the two. The shells are completely different. The barrel of the black one isn't straight on like the silver. There's no guarantee these are even made by the same company let alone have the same components. i know they list the same BA but you'll notice that the two aliexpress ads also say the model is KZ ED2.

By all means get a pair and try them. Maybe they're as good. But it's not the same IEM.

Jan 9, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #5,875 of 31,833
The listing for the black iem under blumuze doesn't refer to hybrid. Look at the two. The shells are completely different. The barrel of the black one isn't straight on like the silver. There's no guarantee these are even made by the same company let alone have the same components. i know they list the same BA but you'll notice that the two aliexpress ads also say the model is KZ ED2.

By all means get a pair and try them. Maybe they're as good. But it's not the same IEM.

They are made by the same company that makes BA drivers and these 2 serve as a demonstration of sorts, they sell them to other companies that just put their logos on them like EMI did. You can find a lot more info on Alibaba where they sell them in batches directly from factory as far as I can tell (I did some research on BA drivers from China in the past and these 2 proprietary designs came up frequently).
Having said this, they do include a DD which depends on the casing and air inside/vents/materials meaning that they couldn't possibly sound the same. Treble should be identical though, but the perception of it could change depending on how the lows differ between the 2 models.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #5,876 of 31,833
This is the AK T8ie, it cost 700$ usd and use tesla technologies driver (from beyerdynamic):
https://www.amazon.com/Astell-Kern-AK-T8iE-Beyerdynamic/dp/B01I3YP7U2

This is the Beyerdynamic Xelento, it cost 1000$ and use tesla tech driver:
https://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Xelento-Remote-Tesla-Headphones/dp/B071CTM4ZW

This is the Zhiyin Z5000, it cost about 50$ and use tesla technologies drivers (inspired by Beyerdynamic):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...cec029f&transAbTest=ae803_5&priceBeautifyAB=0

I REALLY don't understand why people don't go crazy about these BEAST!!!!!!!!!

Tesla tech is supermagnet that can produce more pulse and so give wider frequencies response, i'm no scientist, just really impress by musicality it give.

Its lush, detailed, full bodied, have wide soundstage and excellent imaging, smooth texture and plenty of microdetails and incredible attact as well as very present organic vocal....man, its the last time I praise these (not true) but I would like that somebody share me toughs abotu these as what I read is positive but nothing can be found here on headfi, it really is one of my favorite IEM of all time. In fact, even if it lean towards V shape, the very guy I wuld like to try it is OTTO ahah, so hard to cook...last time I remember yealing in silence like this its with the Somic V2, now its kind of still very respected, but anyway, I think this will be out of production soon...so this is why I feel so desperate about underatted Gems sometime.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #5,877 of 31,833
PS: hehe, ZS5 have the lead now (pps: yeah, yeah, you can relativise all this as you want, positively or negatively, but thats the game, next sunday it will became more serious and very instructive I think with smaller more restraint price range for value and best sounding, I learn from first ''clumsy'' pool!).

Jan 9, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #5,879 of 31,833
This is the Zhiyin Z5000, it cost about 50$ and use tesla technologies drivers (inspired by Beyerdynamic):

I REALLY don't understand why people don't go crazy about these BEAST!!!!!!!!!
Interesting. I'd like to see bunch of detailed reviews. I am also inspired by Beyerdynamic :)

As to your current poll standings: it is only statistically sound if everybody voting knows all the earphones offered. But since most participants presumably have the ZS5 and don't know most of the others, the ZS5 will win. Nobody appears to own the TY HiZ 32ohm. Therefore no chance for them to win, even if they were the best sounding earphones on earth.

The low-scoring MEMT X5 also surprise me. Overly hyped at the time, I find them utterly mediocre. Cool magnets but limited soundstage.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #5,880 of 31,833
Interesting. I'd like to see bunch of detailed reviews. I am also inspired by Beyerdynamic :)

As to your current poll standings: it is only statistically sound if everybody voting knows all the earphones offered. But since most participants presumably have the ZS5 and don't know most of the others, the ZS5 will win. Nobody appears to own the TY HiZ 32ohm. Therefore no chance for them to win, even if they were the best sounding earphones on earth.

The low-scoring MEMT X5 also surprise me. Overly hyped at the time, I find them utterly mediocre. Cool magnets but limited soundstage.

the TY Hi Z 32 was quite famous to the earbud community as a good starter budget earbud (it's my first earbud when joining headfi, and i still have it now), but these days the Vido and EMX500 have better sound and value compared to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back