CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 1, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #4,186 of 31,833
@Cantrell:

A quick jaunt with my PC out (@77 ohms) didn't really scream any huge changes at me (well once I fixed the grounding problem, but that's nothing new for mic'd cables at times) so I wouldn't tend to think cables make a huge difference for them, but YMMV of course. The stock cable is obnoxiously stiff though - to the point where it's only saved and made usable by having a chin slider.

I will say that I really had a tough time noticing much in the way of differences on the first day of tip rolling, and really had to push the volume up a little more than I'm happy with to hear differences clearly enough for something to stand out as better for me.

Listening with some large chifoams T400 size inserted to a borderline uncomfortable depth (about the same fit I remember getting from real Comply) and I can certainly hear some stuff that borders on almost sibilant at times. I'll try some work from the artists you mentioned a bit later and see how they treat me.

In my many years working with guitars (a much much lower signal level I think) internal wiring, guitar to FX pedals or amp, FX loop cables and much higher output Amp to Cab and internal cab wiring I've had fairly big differences with changing of aspects of cables and solder.

I'll wait n see what happens with break in on mine and what exp you get listening to those artists for now. If nothing else I'll try buying or building a cable with unplated Copper, Tin Plated Copper or cable mixed of either of those and silver plated Copper to see if it reduces or eliminates the problem if break in and tip rolling doesn't.

Nov 1, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #4,189 of 31,833
In my many years working with guitars (a much much lower signal level I think) internal wiring, guitar to FX pedals or amp, FX loop cables and much higher output Amp to Cab and internal cab wiring I've had fairly big differences with changing of aspects of cables and solder.
Don't mind me, for my personal listening experience I fall into the camp of "I can't hear the differences most of the time", but if you can and it effects your listening experience, more power to you. I just don't think I can be very helpful on what to try in that regards though. :wink:
I'll wait n see what happens with break in on mine and what exp you get listening to those artists for now. If nothing else I'll try buying or building a cable with unplated Copper, Tin Plated Copper or cable mixed of either of those and silver plated Copper to see if it reduces or eliminates the problem if break in and tip rolling doesn't.
So I'm not really catching any sibilance from either of those artists, but I am hearing some of the breathy vocals (from Transviolet especially) as bordering on a bit harsh - well within my comfort zone still personally, but I can see how some might find it objectionable. A quick pass through my collection of tips and larger tips with a slightly smaller bore seem to help reign it in a bit for me, but longer stemmed tips (like KZ starlines) don't really seem to help at all, but I don't really find it particularly objectionable in the first place, so... that could just be me hearing things. :shrug:

Nov 2, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #4,191 of 31,833
Got around to tossing the Veedix NC50s on my completely under-specced, un-calibrated, non-compliant, and tip-less measurement rig (so no, I'm not going to post the data, but)... it seems to generally agree that their tonality wouldn't look all that out of place beside a bunch of recent KZs. To me they sounds like a serious step up in technical capabilities though, but I also feel like I don't have anything else to compare with to quantify that statement in a meaningful way.

@Cantrell if EQ is an option for you, try pulling down somewhere around 5.5kHz by a few dB

Nov 2, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #4,192 of 31,833
all of them loose, in a single cheap plastic bag (those which came in a box, "retail packaging", were cheaper and all fake at that moment).
got from 4 shops, but none of them sell xe800 now:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/318282
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1754602
https://beteran.aliexpress.com/store/830146
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1213684
(in order of purchase data; last one has got great reputation)
Glad to have confirmation of legitimacy on those stores, didn't realize how easy it was to receive a legitimate pair back then.

Nov 2, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #4,197 of 31,833
hello friend, is your favorite phone still the Ty Hi-z G3? I'm thinking of buying one. Do you still recommend him? 36$ is a good price to Ty Hi-Z G3?

Time moves on, I still love the G3 but there's a lot of decent new earphones out now which I've scored higher - still love the original G3 design the most though.

There's a new G3 out, new finish not sure if the sound has been updated.

Nov 2, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #4,199 of 31,833
I agree with more drivers not necessarily meaning better sound. The DM5 is a true hybrid and sound like one. The bass is excellent on these. One of the best bass ends for hybrids that can hit every note and emphasis in the low region. The sound does come cohesive even though the BAs are in the nozzle. They do need a bit of TLC in the form of trying this and trying that as far as sources, tips and cables but in the end comes out as a clear worthy product. Can't say that about a lot of iems I have had that were much more expensive.

Hi @Dsnuts,
I have purchased the BGVP DM5 (from Penon Audio) mainly due to reading all the amazing things you have had to say about it.
I haven't received it yet, but it should be here in a few days (I CAN HARDLY WAIT!!!)

Anyway, I had a few questions if you don't mind?
I have an Ibasso DX50, are you familiar with these? if so, do you think the BGVP DM5 will sound excellent on the DX50?
The reason I ask about the DX50 is you seem to be very focused on using the DM5 on balanced sources only, and the DX50 isn't balanced.

I am new to IEMs so the BGVP DM5 will be the nicest (most expensive) IEM I have purchased to date..
Other then the BGVP DM5, I own the the KZ ZS5 V.2 (I removed one BA from each because they were awful sibilant cannons) and I have a ZS6 coming that I plan to mod as well...
My question here is: in your opinion does the BGVP DM5 completely destroy the ZS5 & 6?

Thank you so much for your time. :)

Also: If anyone else has any opinions on the above questions please feel free to post them as well. (Hopeful hint to @B9Scrambler ):wink:

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #4,200 of 31,833
Hi @Dsnuts,
I have purchased the BGVP DM5 (from Penon Audio) mainly due to reading all the amazing things you have had to say about it.
I haven't received it yet, but it should be here in a few days (I CAN HARDLY WAIT!!!)

Anyway, I had a few questions if you don't mind?
I have an Ibasso DX50, are you familiar with these? if so, do you think the BGVP DM5 will sound excellent on the DX50?
The reason I ask about the DX50 is you seem to be very focused on using the DM5 on balanced sources only, and the DX50 isn't balanced.

I am new to IEMs so the BGVP DM5 will be the nicest (most expensive) IEM I have purchased to date..
Other then the BGVP DM5, I own the the KZ ZS5 V.2 (I removed one BA from each because they were awful sibilant cannons) and I have a ZS6 coming that I plan to mod as well...
My question here is: in your opinion does the BGVP DM5 completely destroy the ZS5 & 6?

Thank you so much for your time. :)

Also: If anyone else has any opinions on the above questions please feel free to post them as well. (Hopeful hint to @B9Scrambler ):wink:

I asked that same question and it seems that the DM5 after isn't a tremendous upgrade for the price as the Kz are very good value. I am now looking for something for a few extra 20-40eu, like the Pioneer SE-CH9T, Pinnacle P2, Toneking nine tails, Moni One, Fiio F9, Magaosi K3 Pro.
I'm looking for something clear as well as natural sounding, good build, without lacking bass. Like an XE800 with bass , or the Swing IE800 with more detail.

However, I've now been using wide bore tips (KZ spiral; those blue ones; 6mm large bore) on my kz zs5 v2 and I'm really enjoying the hell out of them as the harshness is gone and soundstage seems slightly wider, making me rethink my need to get something more expensive than I'm used to for 11.11.

Out of all the tips, I had assumed that the wide bores would just lower bass and never gave them a shot ( until tips kept on getting stuck in my ear for the lack of lips on the nozzle and I went through everything I had). Burn in and getting used to the highs play a little bit, but going back to the small bore tips is just too screeching for me. Give it a shot, they're at least worth the 1-2euros for any other IEM you have.

Would like your impression on the DM5 as the build and bass are what I'm looking for.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back