CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jul 4, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #2,881 of 31,845
If you didn't like the ZST, you certainly won't like the ZS5 because it sounds almost identical.

What specifically didn't you like about the ZST? Too much bass? Sibilant? Too bright? Fitment/comfort? Not fast enough response for metal guitar? Vocals didn't sound good enough?

Also, Aproear is a reliable place to check. Vidal is an active HF member, and his reviews are short, sweet, clear, reliable, and honest. He buys all of his IEMs himself, so no shady biased reviews like some other sites.

He currently has over 140 of ChiFi IEM reviews, and the information is searchable and sortable. Most of his reviews mention musical genres, and I've seen a number that are recommended for rock and metal. So give his site a try as well.

http://www.aproear.co.uk/
+1
Vidal's site has been a valuable source (among other sites) when searching for my first chi-fi iem, just keep in mind that he seems to have a soft spot for clarity and treble oriented iems, so you have to take that in account when looking at the scores.

Jul 4, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #2,882 of 31,845
If you didn't like the ZST, you certainly won't like the ZS5 because it sounds almost identical.

What specifically didn't you like about the ZST? Too much bass? Sibilant? Too bright? Fitment/comfort? Not fast enough response for metal guitar? Vocals didn't sound good enough?

Also, Aproear is a reliable place to check. Vidal is an active HF member, and his reviews are short, sweet, clear, reliable, and honest. He buys all of his IEMs himself, so no shady biased reviews like some other sites.

He currently has over 140 of ChiFi IEM reviews, and the information is searchable and sortable. Most of his reviews mention musical genres, and I've seen a number that are recommended for rock and metal. So give his site a try as well.

http://www.aproear.co.uk/

Well, the ZST was a cheap solution instead of the vsonic VSDs.....the VSDs were perfect, in terms of comfort and sound quality....the only thing that 3 out of 3 got fatal driver problems just right after the warranty period, they simply fell apart.....just doesnt worth the price, almost 200 bucks thrown out of the window....I wasnt expecting the same quality as the vsonic, but for example the cable quailty is one thing bugs me off every time, the ZST cable seems to be too "sticky" and unflexible, plus the hardening at the driver - cable connection part on the cable is terrible.....couldn't make it fit properly around my ears, always stick outside to some extent.
The driver / house seems pretty cool, but the eartips are just terrible, it automatically moves out of ear my after a while, and will definitely do so during gym-time (despite of not running around for hours.....) so that's all about the physical thing, but have to admit that I like the feeling that the house is not totally empty, you can feel that it is sturdy and stuffed with materials, the problem is that it is not neccessary reflected in sound quality. It is a too harsh for me, with too much and unclear mids and highs, and the overall stage effect is just well behind even the vsd1/vsd3...I know, might not be a fair comparison, different league...I did not experience too much with the bass because I'm basically a zero-bass listener, I never add any besides what is normally included in the pre-defined presets.

SO, to me it could be a decent IEM, if the cable is changed, and the eartips are changed, and soemthing is done with the overall quality....at least some improvement, or fine-tuning of the sound shape.

Jul 4, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #2,883 of 31,845
Well, the ZST was a cheap solution instead of the vsonic VSDs.....the VSDs were perfect, in terms of comfort and sound quality....the only thing that 3 out of 3 got fatal driver problems just right after the warranty period, they simply fell apart.....just doesnt worth the price, almost 200 bucks thrown out of the window....I wasnt expecting the same quality as the vsonic, but for example the cable quailty is one thing bugs me off every time, the ZST cable seems to be too "sticky" and unflexible, plus the hardening at the driver - cable connection part on the cable is terrible.....couldn't make it fit properly around my ears, always stick outside to some extent.
The driver / house seems pretty cool, but the eartips are just terrible, it automatically moves out of ear my after a while, and will definitely do so during gym-time (despite of not running around for hours.....) so that's all about the physical thing, but have to admit that I like the feeling that the house is not totally empty, you can feel that it is sturdy and stuffed with materials, the problem is that it is not neccessary reflected in sound quality. It is a too harsh for me, with too much and unclear mids and highs, and the overall stage effect is just well behind even the vsd1/vsd3...I know, might not be a fair comparison, different league...I did not experience too much with the bass because I'm basically a zero-bass listener, I never add any besides what is normally included in the pre-defined presets.

SO, to me it could be a decent IEM, if the cable is changed, and the eartips are changed, and soemthing is done with the overall quality....at least some improvement, or fine-tuning of the sound shape.

The stock ZST cable sucks. For $5, KZ offers a silver-plated upgrade cable that is far superior. It's also not sticky in the least bit. There is mo mic however. BTW, you can greatly improve the comfort & microphonics on the ZST by removing the memory wire on both the stock and silver upgrade cable (a very easy task).

Based on your other comments, if you still want to stick with the $20-$40 budget range, give these a consideration:

Einsear T2
Xiaomi In-Ear Pro HD (triple driver)
Bosshifi B3
**** 4in1 (hybrid)
Seahf AWK-009
TY Hi-Z G3

Keep in mind in this budget range, you obviously make compromises (as you found with the ZST) - occasional QC issues such as slightly mismatched drivers, plastic housings, (sometimes) thin/fragile/rubbery cables, non-removable cables (typically), mediocre tips, and sparse accessories. However, tip rolling is a cheap & easy way to significantly improve most IEMs, and some have simple tape/bluetac mods to vent ports that offer improvements as well.

As far as longevity (related to build quality), you'll have to treat any of these IEMs with care to avoid damage & shortened life. Be aware that, in general, hybrids are a little more fragile than single driver dynamics. BA drivers can be permanently damaged by shock, such as from dropping on a table or floor. The recent wave of ChiFi audio gear in the last 2 years offers incredible bang for the buck, but it's not perfect by any means.

If you're willing to go higher on your budget ($100), consider the Magaosi K3 HD or K3 Pro (both triple driver hybrids). The Magaosi K3 HD and K3 Pro models come with filters that you can tune the sound with, as well as removable MMCX cables (2 are included in the box). They have excellent build quality, metal shells, and great sound. They are't the fastest (for speed metal), but they do everything else beautifully.

I don't have any personal experience with the Vsonic VSD, but IMO you can't go wrong with the Magaosi K3 Pro or HD.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #2,884 of 31,845
I'm impressed with the KZ ZST and ZS5, so will follow this thread with interest :)

Jul 4, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #2,885 of 31,845

If you want build quality then perhaps something like the BossHiFi B3 would suit, the ones I've seen have been impeccably finished and they're well tuned. Another option that can be found cheaply on Gearbest is the LZ Z03A not as well made as the BossHiFi but well tuned with a better cable.

Jul 4, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #2,886 of 31,845
If you want build quality then perhaps something like the BossHiFi B3 would suit, the ones I've seen have been impeccably finished and they're well tuned. Another option that can be found cheaply on Gearbest is the LZ Z03A not as well made as the BossHiFi but well tuned with a better cable.
Well, Hello Sir!

One of the newest owners of the ZS5 courtesy of your good self!

I'm genuinely impressed by the ZST/ZS5 for the pocket money prices, and after receiving the bonus IEMs (will try them soon), am quite quite tempted to extend my Chi-Fi collection via your store...

Makes me wonder when the western market will catch on, and start offering good value for money...

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #2,888 of 31,845
Nymphonomaniac said:
TRUE! It even got a tread about them!
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/soundsoul-s-018-impressions-thread.748807/page-19

Well, I think they look Very similar even if there no hole in the back and cable is different, how would you describe soundsignature???

I think i'm as enthusiast with the Mygeek as people are with the S-018 too:heart_eyes_cat:
I would have to go back home and take a quick listen, they are really keepers! I will give a quick impression to their sound later this week. :beerchug:
Finally, I was able to take some time to listen to my Soundsoul S-018 and it never seizes to amaze me; tight and quick bass response (with some sub-bass roll-off), MIDS are full of life, but not spacious or airy, but rather vivid and clear, and highs are excellent and clean. These remind me a lot of the KZ ATR's sound signature and soundstage, but with a veil taken right off to reveal its true clarity.

Ps. I had a hard time trying to post PIC's from my phone....I'll try again sometime this week.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #2,889 of 31,845
Hey guys

Need some help from mpre experienced users in selecting one of the best chinese IEMs around 30 $.
I'm looking for something for spotify from my xiaomi phone,listening to rock and metal
Used to have different vsonic vsds but the vuild quality was very poor and lasted only a few months. So I'm looking for something cheaper which is close to the vsd3, vsd5 in sound quality, has an over-the-ear design and probably a mic. Not essential, but would be a good extra point.

I tried KZ ZST, wasnt a big fan of it, uncomfortable, now looking at tennmak pro and **** 4in1 but judt not sure if there is anything better out the market for the above requirements.

KZ ZS5 also looks promising, but if the rumours are true about the sealed, useless 2 drivers, it seems to be a rip-off

Any suggestions ?

I like heavy music (thrash, hardcore, death etc) but haven't really thought about which of my headphones are best for that kind of music.
I'd recommend urbanfun hifi, they're very good!

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #2,890 of 31,845
I like heavy music (thrash, hardcore, death etc) but haven't really thought about which of my headphones are best for that kind of music.

+1
I don't have many IEMs, but the Urbanfun HiFi is my favorite for metal (I listen to thrash, death, power and black for the most part) among ROCK Zircon and Xiaomi Hybrid Pro HD.
I'm also waiting for a pair of Einsear T2. I'm very curious about how it will perform with extreme metal.

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #2,891 of 31,845
Okay nice share guys, for sure Urbanfun are a MUST have Gem and I like how they perform with near everything (Classical, jazz and even IDM but perhaps not BIG Heavy Beat stuff)....as I don't really listen to metal that much it's very appreciate that ''Metal-head'' share their chifi find here too:wink: Urbanfun surprise me even more with their elegant versatility!

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #2,892 of 31,845
Nymphonomaniac said:
TRUE! It even got a tread about them!
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/soundsoul-s-018-impressions-thread.748807/page-19

Well, I think they look Very similar even if there no hole in the back and cable is different, how would you describe soundsignature???

I think i'm as enthusiast with the Mygeek as people are with the S-018 too:heart_eyes_cat:

Finally, I was able to take some time to listen to my Soundsoul S-018 and it never seizes to amaze me; tight and quick bass response (with some sub-bass roll-off), MIDS are full of life, but not spacious or airy, but rather vivid and clear, and highs are excellent and clean. These remind me a lot of the KZ ATR's sound signature and soundstage, but with a veil taken right off to reveal its true clarity.

Ps. I had a hard time trying to post PIC's from my phone....I'll try again sometime this week.

This is what I bring in my travel pouch, I think you will recognize a perhaps very similar Gem:
P7050019.JPG

From the little description you made about Clarity I really think it could be the same very obscure iem housing And driver...anyway, still a valuable favorite in my iem collection!

PS: I know picture is kind of dark cause of lack of light, it just had some mystery ti my collection hehe i

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #2,893 of 31,845
This is what I bring in my travel pouch, I think you will recognize a perhaps very similar Gem:

From the little description you made about Clarity I really think it could be the same very obscure iem housing And driver...anyway, still a valuable favorite in my iem collection!

PS: I know picture is kind of dark cause of lack of light, it just had some mystery ti my collection hehe i

Care to list what's in the photo? I can make out the PortaPro and the mygeek wooden, but I am not 100% sure on the others.

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #2,894 of 31,845
Care to list what's in the photo? I can make out the PortaPro and the mygeek wooden, but I am not 100% sure on the others.
Sure, from left to right:
PMV A01 MK2 (analytical), **** XBA 6in1 (Bass and articulation), Faael 64ohm (with silver plated cable upgrade)(mids and warm), MG (clear, punchy, airy and neutralish-brightish) and Tennmak Pro...(just a old pal really):wink:

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #2,895 of 31,845
Sure, from left to right:
PMV A01 MK2 (analytical), **** XBA 6in1 (Bass and articulation), Faael 64ohm (with silver plated cable upgrade)(mids and warm), MG (clear, punchy, airy and neutralish-brightish) and Tennmak Pro...(just a old pal really):wink:

Nice. Do you also have the **** 4in1? I've been curious how it compares to the 6in1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back