CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 23, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #1,576 of 31,845
Hi there,
I'm looking for sub 25$ IEMs.
I've gotten really confused trying to choose the best IEMs at this price, there is just too much of a choice:blink:
What would you recommend to someone who listens mainly to Rock/alt Rock music and likes balanced sound with a nice bass oomph?
Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Tennmak Pro is a good choice in my opinion, but there are other alternatives that does well for that genre as well.

I just ordered and received the "2016 New Kinera BA05" and the "2016 DIY DD3 Double Unit Moving Iron Hybrid Dynamic Balance Armature" earphones (both less than $25) - and they appear to be the exact same item, except for having different labels, "KINERA" & "OKCSC" on their sides.

I'm quite impressed with the sound quality, especially considering their low price.
With them connected with a balanced cable to my DP-X1 (Digital Filter: Sharp), and no other EQ, or with an unbalanced cable to my iFi Micro iDSD (also no EQ) - The Bass response goes really low, without being boomy; the Mids (vocals / acoustic guitars) are balanced & smooth; and the Highs are clear and detailed, but not quite as prominent as some of my "V shaped" earphones (like the Senfers).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-New-Kinera-BA05-In-Ear-Earphone-Monitor-Dynamic-with-1-BA-Hybrid-HIFI-DIY-Earphone/32750398448.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-DIY-DD3-Double-Unit-Moving-Iron-Hybrid-Dynamic-Balance-Armature-HIFI-Monitor-Sport-Wire-with/32712301469.html

I also have the Tennmak Pro, which is in the same price range, and sounds really good as well. They seem to have a little more mid-bass / mid-range, bringing the sound "forward" a bit.  On a personal note - the size & shape of the Tennmak Pro allows me to get a better fit & air seal.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tennmak-Pro-Dual-Dynamic-Driver-Professional-In-Ear-Sport-Detach-Earphone-with-4-drivers-inside-Vs/32624020655.html

If you don't need the maximum isolation of an in-ear earphone, you might also consider the **** PT15.  I use these with an over-the-ear cable, for a more comfortable & secure fit.  They don't have quite the same bass impact as the in-ear models, but they still have a good amount of bass - and a bigger, more open sound-stage.  They're also more comfortable for extended listening sessions.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-****-PT15-Earburd-Graphite-bush-Dynamic-Driver-In-Ear-Earphone-HIFI-Earplhone-With-MMCX-Interface/32756183154.html

Any of these will provide good quality sound, for ~$25.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #1,577 of 31,845
You guys have any recommendation for absolute best isolation and affordable earphones?

I know Etymotic is the king of isolation, but it's also a king interm of price. Plus, As far as I know, They're extremely fragail (on their homepage reviews and on amazon).

I usually listen to my podcast while riding the bus; and I'm not really good at concentrating. So It bugs me so much that the outside noise keep interupting my thought on and getting me side track from the story/conversation. I don't want to crank up my volumn to the highest because obviously for my ear protection. I think I just need a well balanced with a little emphasis on the high end/treble or whatever that make the vocal defined loud and clear (excuse my ignorance on those terminology).

I have about $30 to spend in this. Seems a litte greedy for this price but I also expect it to be durable, or not die after a few months of shuffling around and being stuffed in my pocket or backpack.

Thanks y'all for reading.

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #1,578 of 31,845
You guys have any recommendation for absolute best isolation and affordable earphones?

I know Etymotic is the king of isolation, but it's also a king interm of price. Plus, As far as I know, They're extremely fragail (on their homepage reviews and on amazon).

I usually listen to my podcast while riding the bus; and I'm not really good at concentrating. So It bugs me so much that the outside noise keep interupting my thought on and getting me side track from the story/conversation. I don't want to crank up my volumn to the highest because obviously for my ear protection. I think I just need a well balanced with a little emphasis on the high end/treble or whatever that make the vocal defined loud and clear (excuse my ignorance on those terminology).

I have about $30 to spend in this. Seems a litte greedy for this price but I also expect it to be durable, or not die after a few months of shuffling around and being stuffed in my pocket or backpack.

I might be at risk of repeating myself to many times here, but the tennmak pro is about the most durable headphone I have (not counting my stutio over ears which are built like a tank). they also have a replacable cable that increases their lifespand significantly in my opinion.

Nov 24, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #1,580 of 31,845
I think you'll be fine, people repeat themselves all the time, myself included.
Like you said Tennmak Pro is a brilliant product. But what about noise isolation, though?

Most of the IEMs I have bought more recently have had relatively good noise isolation. It all depends on how well the tip works for you though, rather than the shape and form of the IEM. At least that's my experience with it. The Tennmak Pro does well in this regard, but you might get even better isolation by putting on a triple flanged tip. In fact I have some laying around so I can try it out for you.

Edit: Noise isolation is quite good actually with stock tips, double flanged and tripple flanged tips work well to, but there is no real difference in noise isolation. On another note... these are way more bass heavy than I remembered, I guess I have gotten to used to treble focused headsets. If I were you though I would check to see if there id any really good deals tomorrow on black-friday. There are a lot of better headphones in a different price range that gets sold out cheap because they are discontinued models and the like (got a pair of Nocs NS500A for about 20$ a month ago for that reason).

Nov 24, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #1,581 of 31,845
I just saw that there are new iems by Awei:
http://www.gearbest.com/earbud-headphones/pp_571987.html?wid=21

Aside from being one of the most hilarious companies when it comes to their English marketing, i think Awei is making good and durable IEMs.
I'm using my ES800 and ES900i for 2 years and they still sound pretty fun after EQ.

I wonder if they learned how to make Mids...

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #1,582 of 31,845
Most of the IEMs I have bought more recently have had relatively good noise isolation. It all depends on how well the tip works for you though, rather than the shape and form of the IEM. At least that's my experience with it. The Tennmak Pro does well in this regard, but you might get even better isolation by putting on a triple flanged tip. In fact I have some laying around so I can try it out for you.

Edit: Noise isolation is quite good actually with stock tips, double flanged and tripple flanged tips work well to, but there is no real difference in noise isolation. On another note... these are way more bass heavy than I remembered, I guess I have gotten to used to treble focused headsets. If I were you though I would check to see if there id any really good deals tomorrow on black-friday. There are a lot of petter headphones in a different price range that gets sold out cheap because they are discontinued models and the like (got a pair of Nocs NS500A for about 20$ a month ago for that reason).

Thanks a lot for your help. You're absolutely right, still have to constrain myself from hurting my wallet for one more day. 

Are you planning to spend more on tomorrow? If so, could you post deals and sales that you'll find here? (or pm me if you don't want to divert and distract the topic discussion).

I'm currently hoping for the Advanced M4, Etymotic MK5, and the Tennmak Pro, of course, to drop their price a little bit more.

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #1,583 of 31,845
Thanks a lot for your help. You're absolutely right, still have to constrain myself from hurting my wallet for one more day. 

Are you planning to spend more on tomorrow? If so, could you post deals and sales that you'll find here? (or pm me if you don't want to divert and distract the topic discussion).

I'm currently hoping for the Advanced M4, Etymotic MK5, and the Tennmak Pro, of course, to drop their price a little bit more.

I'll see what I can do, I'm keeping my eyes open for a telly after midnight so I'll have to prioritize :p Oh, and any stuff would be from a china based store or other international ones as I suspect Norwegian stores are not all that interesting to you :wink:

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #1,584 of 31,845
I'll see what I can do, I'm keeping my eyes open for a telly after midnight so I'll have to prioritize
tongue.gif
Oh, and any stuff would be from a china based store or other international ones as I suspect Norwegian stores are not all that interesting to you
wink.gif

I'm not sure what you're implying by "Norwegian stores". But if it meant expensive stuff, more than $50 I would guess, then yes, count me out.
I'm newbie and my inventory is an apple earbuds and Panasonic HJE-120 so I don't think I can be able to appreciate all the high-end features of it, especially because my listening sources is utter basic (iphone, ipod, laptop) and I dont know a thing about equalizer. I just need something that's easy to drive, durable and sounds as it's priced (or more, hopefully).

Nov 24, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #1,585 of 31,845
I'm not sure what you're implying by "Norwegian stores". But if it meant expensive stuff, more than $50 I would guess, then yes, count me out.
I'm newbie and my inventory is an apple earbuds and Panasonic HJE-120 so I don't think I can be able to appreciate all the high-end features of it, especially because my listening sources is utter basic (iphone, ipod, laptop) and I dont know a thing about equalizer. I just need something that's easy to drive, durable and sounds as its price.

Norwegian stores as in I'm from Norway and usually buy stuff from there rather than lets say Amazon and Newegg and the likes (don't have those here). Shipping fees and all that just don't make it worth it for anyone to buy anything from here unless you actually live here (there is a tiny bit of text to the right of the user-name that tells location).

As for the other points, I absolutely hate equalizer. A good headphone should be able to sound good without any extra stuff, if it doesn't then it's not the headphone for you. Your sources are absolutely fine for the kind of heaphones we are discussing so don't doubt that part.

As for actual sales atm, gearbest sells off some good ones that I'm looking at like KZ-ATE and Xiaomi Hybrid.

Nov 24, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #1,586 of 31,845
Norwegian stores as in I'm from Norway and usually buy stuff from there rather than lets say Amazon and Newegg and the likes (don't have those here). Shipping fees and all that just don't make it worth it for anyone to buy anything from here unless you actually live here (there is a tiny bit of text to the right of the user-name that tells location).

As for the other points, I absolutely hate equalizer. A good headphone should be able to sound good without any extra stuff, if it doesn't then it's not the headphone for you. Your sources are absolutely fine for the kind of heaphones we are discussing so don't doubt that part.

As for actual sales atm, gearbest sells off some good ones that I'm looking at like KZ-ATE and Xiaomi Hybrid.

Ok, got it now, I'm overthinking it again.

Just bought KZ ZS3 for $6.4 the other day, still processing....It could well be my Christmas present, idk 
biggrin.gif

Most people say that the ATR is slightly better than the ATE. And as of current, its price is nearly $4, truly worth considering.

Nov 24, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #1,587 of 31,845
Ok, got it now, I'm overthinking it again.

Just bought KZ ZS3 for $6.4 the other day, still processing....It could well be my Christmas present, idk :D  

Most people say that the ATR is slightly better than the ATE. And as of current, its price is nearly $4, truly worth considering.

I'll check them out during the weekend, although there are a couple of other IEMs that I really want that I suspect might come on sale in local electronic stores. So I'll have to see if my budget allows for it :wink:

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #1,588 of 31,845
after quite long period of time, TK Maple is still my fav daily driver :){) and i go for TK12 for a serious personal listening moment.

Nov 25, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #1,590 of 31,845

I've found that the **** 4in1 Earphones are small, solidly made from metal, and (with the correct sized tip) they make a good isolating seal in my ears.  They also have MMCX connectors, so replacing cables is easy.

Their sound is a bit more V-shaped than the Tennmak Pro - Midrange is lower, so the sound-stage image seems slightly further away.

They can be purchased for less than $30.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AK-2016-New-****-VT66-Dual-Driver-Hifi-3-5MM-gold-plated-In-Ear-Earphones-Deep/32719499368.html

Take Care,
David Baldock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back