CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 23, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #14,446 of 31,833
I think many people know this video already, but I just discovered it today:

It is probably the best sound test for soundstage size and imaging accuracy. I listened to it on my QT2 and it really showcased just how huge the soundstage is.

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #14,447 of 31,833
I think many people know this video already, but I just discovered it today:

It is probably the best sound test for soundstage size and imaging accuracy. I listened to it on my QT2 and it really showcased just how huge the soundstage is.

binaural recording are quite deceptive for soundstage testing. Most decent earphones will show very wide "soundstage" with them. I usually go for HQ live orchestra where I know there will be lots of stuff going on in the background (someone adjusting their chairs, flipping scripts, etc).

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #14,448 of 31,833
WP_20181124_03_12_55_Pro.jpg
I've been testing tips with the EzAudio D4 and have now moved from the stock to KZ stock black tips to a smaller bored grey tip that has the same form and had no previous use for. Smaller bores and a good seal seem to be the way to go for a vibrating bass without added treble.

Double flange did not work for me but all of mine are widebore except spinfits that don't seal.

Of course, all our ears are different of various sizes and deformities, but for IEMs like the IT01, a wide bore would diminish the bass and give more soundstage to most ears, and even diminish sibilance for some other IEMs of mine.
Smaller bore seem to be good on the D4 and I'm not exactly sure of the mechanics of it.

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #14,449 of 31,833
To be fair, any decent earphone could show the soundstage of binaural recordings because the spatial information is recorded when the audio was recorded. Actual binaural audio is recorded through a device which simulate human outer ears.

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #14,450 of 31,833
To be fair, any decent earphone could show the soundstage of binaural recordings because the spatial information is recorded when the audio was recorded. Actual binaural audio is recorded through a device which simulate human outer ears.

Makes me wonder what my dumbo-eared friend hears :)

Nov 23, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #14,451 of 31,833
I've been out of the game for a while but I'm going overseas soon so I needed an IEM for travelling... My first instinct was to go for something by Shure or Etymotic then I was like surely the market will have changed since the last time I was looking for IEMs (my last pair was Altec Lansing IM716 and before that was the Etymotic ER6i which I LOVED, both broke).

So instead I thought why not see what's coming out of China these days? One of my main requirements was isolation since I'll be using them on planes and public transport and the like, so I went for the KZ ZS4 which seemed to be the most isolating of the KZ's. The sort of sound signature I was after was something with tight punch bass but also plenty of analytical detail. I paid about $15 for the ZS4's so for that price even if they didn't meet my requirements it couldn't really lose.

My impressions are they're very good for $15 but definitely not giant killers. The bass is a tad out of control, not so much punchy as it is boomy, and it tends to overpower every other part of the spectrum in bassier tracks. When it's well behaved it's pretty good though. Mids are better than I expected, quite sweet and not as recessed as I thought they'd be. Soundstage is impressive for an IEM. The detail is definitely there. What I loved most about my ER6i was how I could focus in on one element of the song and it felt like it had it's own space... The ZS4 gets pretty close to that.

The treble is what I struggle with the most... It doesn't extend very high. It's not sparkly, it's grainy, and there's a weird colouration. It's like there's a boost around like 7khz or so and then a steep drop after like 12khz.

They're very comfortable with the included tips.

The isolation is pretty good. It doesn't reach anywhere near Etymotic levels and I'm not sure if it'll be enough for flying. I think it's something to do with the shape of the housing but it seems to cut out lower frequencies really well but doesn't do much for higher ones. I've ordered some foam tips to see if they improve things.

In saying all this I don't regret my purchase and for $15 it's very hard to complain.

Nov 23, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #14,452 of 31,833
Well I've done it again I bought another lucky bag from nicehck very interested to see what I get for $28. The description sounded very interesting also the colors sounded cool and I ended up getting green. I almost bought the lucky bag from the banned seller but decided to be responsible and only get one. I did however buy a pair of the CCA CO4 IEMs because I was curious how they sounded for $12 and no one seemed to have bought a pair yet so I decided to be the guinea pig .

Nov 23, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #14,454 of 31,833
I did however buy a pair of the CCA CO4 IEMs because I was curious how they sounded for $12 and no one seemed to have bought a pair yet so I decided to be the guinea pig .
@Bartig already got his CCA and made quick impression about it few pages back.

Nov 23, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #14,455 of 31,833

I've been testing tips with the EzAudio D4 and have now moved from the stock to KZ stock black tips to a smaller bored grey tip that has the same form and had no previous use for. Smaller bores and a good seal seem to be the way to go for a vibrating bass without added treble.

Double flange did not work for me but all of mine are widebore except spinfits that don't seal.

Of course, all our ears are different of various sizes and deformities, but for IEMs like the IT01, a wide bore would diminish the bass and give more soundstage to most ears, and even diminish sibilance for some other IEMs of mine.
Smaller bore seem to be good on the D4 and I'm not exactly sure of the mechanics of it.

Where did the grey tips come from?

Nov 23, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #14,457 of 31,833
Cool I might have seen that post in my email notification one-day but I forgot about it. $12 sounds like a good price for them then. Can't wait to try them for myself.
Sometimes it's handy to have these around-$10 earphone, especially those with consumer-oriented tuning. I can recommend them to people who are just want one good earphone or use them as gift.

Nov 23, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #14,458 of 31,833
2.jpg
Where did the grey tips come from?
TOP ROW: tenmark whirlwinds/ stock EzD4/ stock KZ5/ grey tips

Good question. A better question is why? I have no idea.
After digging through my tip buying spree, it turns out to be this :
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...Earphone-Ear-pads-Strengthen/32799780449.html
Not what I was expecting when I bought them as they're definitely not KZ and are narrower but extend as much as the KZ stocks. Squishier too! Never really had a proper use for them until now, when digging for smaller bores with length and squishiness (stock black KZ sold for KZ5 and before are really thick and firm).
Smaller bores deal smaller soundstage from my limited experience.

In hindsight, I've seem to have taken the breath away from the EzAudio D4 in terms of overwhelming clarity, but it is performing as tamed. At the price, I regret falling for new IEMs in the form of luckybags, and definitely postpone any purchases above 50usd (but I'm still waiting for my lucky bags :D)

These EzAudio D4 are now fullsounding with clarity, and wearing them upside down as suggested previously makes the fit even better. Apparently, titatium coated diaphragms could even benefit from burning! Hopefully it doesn't reduce SQ :wink:

Come to think of it, I would like to get my hands on firm wide bored tips à la KZ, but not tenmark/KZ whirlwinds that are too stubby. Elongated firm wide bore...Waaaouh :)

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #14,459 of 31,833
Happy Black Chi-fRiday ft. 5 white boxes

7GqTp03.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back