CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Sep 6, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #12,901 of 31,833
I still have not done that. I really do wish you were my neighbor.

Just convince Panda to move to the states! Although he might miss all of those British delicacies like beans on toast or jellied eel haha

Sep 6, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #12,902 of 31,833
Just convince Panda to move to the states! Although he might miss all of those British delicacies like beans on toast or jellied eel haha

I have never seen a jelllied eel in this house. Would it look like the slugs in the garden?

Beans on toast for him sometimes while I put eggs or jam on my toast:) I will eat beans..preferably in chili. Did you know that they put chili on rice here? Weird but I am used to it now. But now it is not a low calorie meal.

To keep it on topic, I wear iems sometimes in the kitchen:)

...and....my Nine Tail is out for delivery

Five minutes after it gets here someone will ask for impressions... lol.

Sep 6, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #12,903 of 31,833
The most “surgical” mods (ie the most exact mods that will reduce treble with as little impact on other frequencies) would be the EQ method and the ZST foam mod.

Thanks! Yeah, I can play with the EQ and set the ohm as well with the ES100 app.

Sep 6, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #12,905 of 31,833
how about
BQEYZ BQ3

5 drivers per side - nice.

It's so new though, there are only orders on Aliexpress (no feedback). That means no one has received it yet. You just gotta be a little patient and wait for some people to get it!

BQEYZ seems to really know what they're doing. They pretty much came from nowhere, but it was reported that they have been making IEMs for 20 years.

Every one of their other offerings so far have been good - overall sound, tuning, and build quality (metal, nice cable). I'm rocking my K2 right now in fact!

Good customer service too - 1 person had a BQEYZ wired out of phase, Aliexpress was giving the runaround. He emailed BQEYZ directly, and they are taking care of it.

I have little doubt that the BQ3 isn't going to be just as good as their other stuff.

They even added a chin slider to the cable based on customer feedback!

Their naming is totally whack though. It's totally random and confusing - K2 vs KC2, BQ3, etc. I would have named the new one BQ5 not 3 (since it has 5 drivers). Or stick with either the K or BQ preface, not both. Who knows - I swear some of these companies just pull random letters out of a hat (like BGVP DMG, BQEYZ BQ3, etc).

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #12,907 of 31,833
Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #12,910 of 31,833
Sep 6, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #12,911 of 31,833
I wanted to share an IEM I picked up during the recent Aliexpress sale.

It’s one of those ‘mystery ChiFi IEMs’. The model is officially AR-3001. It’s sold under that name, as well as the Alistooop Mini (Alistooop is the store/seller not the manufacturer). Yes, that’s 3 o’s in Alistoooooooooop.

Who knows who actually makes it. According to the marketing material, it’s made by “a famous designer”, whoever that is. It really doesn’t matter much though. I care about results, so is this IEM worth your time?

Well, it’s got a single dynamic driver, specifically a 5.6mm graphene (sprayed) micro driver.

And this thing is small, and I mean small. It is about 1/3 of the size of the KZ EDR1. They make the KZ HDS3 (another micro driver) look big in comparison. It has to be seen to be believed! It would fit an infant, so if you have small ears, this is your IEM!

The sound, however, is anything but small. This thing has big sound. It’s got a fun v shaped tune. Sub bass is deep and authoritative. Bass is nice and thick. Mids are slightly recessed (as expected for a v shaped tune) but the mids are nice and clear. Treble is nice and lively, clean and smooth. Soundstage is wide - you will do a double take when listening to these. The sound is BIG. They also have excellent isolation. When inserted I can’t hear any external sounds at all. For example, I was driving on the highway with both windows down, and my daughter had her music playing on the stereo - yet all I heard was my own music playing in the IEMs.

The packaging sucks (the thin cardboard package arrived looking like it got sat on). The cable is thin, microphonic, and fabric covered. The cable reminds me of the Rock Zircon cable. It contains (reportedly) a 7N single crystal silver plated copper wire. It has a small microphone, but no control buttons at all. Because of the lack of control button, they should have just made it without a mic IMO.

Everything is aluminum - the shells, Y split, microphone body, and straight 3.5mm plug. Everything has adequate strain relief.

I paid $10, which is easily half of what this could sell for.

When wearing them, they completely disappear inside your ear. You could easily sleep in these. It doesn’t even look like you are wearing earphones, but rather just a wire coming out of your ear haha. You can wear them up or down, but I have been wearing them down.

The only downsides are the thin cable and a tiny bit of bass bleed into the lower mids. But wow these are fun little $10 earphones for sure.

I’ll post pictures of just how small they are a little later.

C2ECB7A3-E5B6-45D2-8A10-B45DFF44CC59.jpeg 20DA533D-B7E1-4990-9D7A-36F71320E6B4.jpeg C7ACAFDD-EB6F-4E7A-A2DE-088BF9951D90.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #12,913 of 31,833
Is the silver TRN upgrade cable for the KZ ED16 much of an improvement over the stock one?

I only changed my ED16 cable for comfort reasons. The stock one would not lie flat behind my ears.. it kept spronging out and was annoying me. The only reason I ever change cables is for comfort, looks or (in the case of headphnes) because I need a different length. The TRN cable is nice... I have it on a couple of things.

Actually I meant I have a couple of the black TRN cables plus a silver one on something.

Sep 6, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #12,914 of 31,833
I only changed my ED16 cable for comfort reasons. The stock one would not lie flat behind my ears.. it kept spronging out and was annoying me. The only reason I ever change cables is for comfort, looks or (in the case of headphnes) because I need a different length. The TRN cable is nice... I have it on a couple of things.

Actually I meant I have a couple of the black TRN cables plus a silver one on something.

My issue with KZ cable is it tends to try to pull the ED16 out of my ears. Causing an inadequate seal.

Sep 6, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #12,915 of 31,833
IMG_20180906_213635.jpg
I wanted to share an IEM I picked up during the recent Aliexpress sale.

It’s one of those ‘mystery ChiFi IEMs’. The model is officially AR-3001. It’s sold under that name, as well as the Alistooop Mini (Alistooop is the store/seller not the manufacturer). Who knows who actually makes it. According to the marketing material, it’s made by a “famous designer”, whoever that is. It really doesn’t matter much though. I care about results, so is this IEM worth your time?

Well, it’s got a single dynamic driver, specifically a 5.6mm graphene (sprayed) micro driver.

And this thing is small, and I mean small. It is about 1/3 of the size of the KZ EDR1. They make the KZ HDS3 (another micro driver) look big in comparison. It has to be seen to be believed! It would fit an infant, so if you have small ears, this is your IEM!

The sound, however, is anything but small. This thing has big sound. It’s got a fun v shaped tune. Sub bass is deep and authoritative. Bass is nice and thick. Mids are recessed (as expected for a v shaped tune) but the mids are nice and clear. Treble is nice and lively, clean and smooth. Soundstage is wide - you will do a double take when listening to these. The sound is BIG. They also have excellent isolation. When inserted I can’t hear any external sounds at all. For example, I was driving on the highway with both windows down, and my daughter had her music playing on the stereo - yet all I heard was my own music playing in the IEMs.

The packaging sucks (the thin cardboard package arrived looking like it got sat on). The cable is thin, microphonic, and fabric covered. The cable reminds me of the Rock Zircon cable. It contains (reportedly) a 7N single crystal silver plated copper wire. It has a small microphone, but no control buttons at all.

Everything is aluminum - the shells, Y split, microphone body, and straight 3.5mm plug. Everything has adequate strain relief.

I paid $10, which is easily half of what this could sell for.

When wearing them, they completely disappear inside your ear. You could easily sleep in these. It doesn’t even look like you are wearing earphones, but rather just a wire coming out of your ear haha. You can wear them up or down, but I have been wearing them down.

The only downsides are the thin cable and a tiny bit of bass bleed into the lower mids. But wow these are fun little $10 earphones for sure.

I’ll post pictures of just how small they are a little later.

They are pretty good, aren't they?
I got them few months ago and I wrote a couple of lines in the chi-fi thread.

They are quite bassy, but that can be fixed with little tip rolling. I settled for shallow wide bore tips pushed over the body of the iems so the nozzle is in line with the tip opening.
Very clean and smooth treble and mids, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back