CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jun 16, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #11,492 of 31,867
Hi,
I just received my IEM today that looks very similar to the Simgot EN700 but has a 9 instead of a 7, that I won't name because I like having a Head-fi account. :gs1000smile:
I immediately noticed that they have an unbearable amount of silibance. It could just be me, and I have been listening to the same single IEM for a year and a half (Somic V4.) I put it through the sine wave track and it has one ENORMOUS peak at 4500hz and a pretty bad one at about 10000hz. I've had them 'burning in' on white noise for about 12 hours now, it might have improved a bit but I can't deal with it, even if the bass and general detail stomps my Somic V4. Is there anything I can do? Mods and tuning? More burn in? Maybe I just need to get use to it. Even the EQ of my dap and laptop isn't getting it under control. Cable replacement? Maybe they are defective? Don't take my word for it though I'm sure they are very good.

What are some good Tips that reduce silibance? Comply? KZ? Thanks.

I'm very glad I didn't get those. I was tempted, but after reading a few reviews I was like "ehhhhh, I'm going to wait until some more people get that because that lower treble peak coupled with the sibilance doesn't sound like my cup of tea."

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #11,493 of 31,867
Time to get an LG V20 and Neutralizer :dt880smile:
I've never heard of Neutralizer til now, and actually I was going to dismiss it but saw a positive review by a certain user whom I really respect so I might try it out, although I remain highly skeptical.

But a new phone? Is there a reason to recommend changing my phone? I'm confused now.

Edit: On a side note, I did the ZS3 mod partially. I removed the black foam-y thing from the canal but left the red filters.
I feel it improved the clarity and highs a tad. Would have to listen to it more, though.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #11,494 of 31,867
I'm very glad I didn't get those. I was tempted, but after reading a few reviews I was like "ehhhhh, I'm going to wait until some more people get that because that lower treble peak coupled with the sibilance doesn't sound like my cup of tea."

I know that this is going to make me seem like I have borderline personality disorder, but they are actually really growing on me. I would now pick them over the Somic V4 any day. I just got too use to the somics which are very mid centric.

I made that comment after about a total of 3 hours of listening to them (which is a stupid thing to do.)
I'm now really enjoying the micro details, tight and even bass, detailed mids etc. I'll just listen to them quietly until I recondition myself. Nothing I say will be super helpful because the only other IEM I have is the Somic V4 which most on this thread don't have to compare to.

I definitely recommend them, but if you don't like silibance probably don't get them. I'm getting some Comply tips (or just some foam tips to reduce the sillibance) and then after that I think that they would be a really REALLY good deal for everyone.

Maybe I would do everyone a favour if I also bought the ZSR (which I was already looking at getting) and did a comparison?

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #11,495 of 31,867
So, the Z5000 turned out to be both really impressive and really disappointing at the same time. The last time I was this disappointed was I believe when I got my RHA MA750.

Oh, well, back to my ZS3.

Maybe I should give the KZ ZSR a try. Or the Tiandirenhe TD08. Or the UiiSii CM5. Or maybe the Rose Aurora, although that one is on the pricey side, but it does look promising.

You're a basshead but got the MA750? lol, that's gotta hurt. The sparkle was amazing up top though.

If you want a warmer, more musical sound-sig, the Tin Audio T1 is quite good too, I preferred it to the T2.

Hi,
I just received my IEM today that looks very similar to the Simgot EN700 but has a 9 instead of a 7, that I won't name because I like having a Head-fi account. :gs1000smile:
I immediately noticed that they have an unbearable amount of silibance. It could just be me, and I have been listening to the same single IEM for a year and a half (Somic V4.) I put it through the sine wave track and it has one ENORMOUS peak at 4500hz and a pretty bad one at about 10000hz. I've had them 'burning in' on white noise for about 12 hours now, it might have improved a bit but I can't deal with it, even if the bass and general detail stomps my Somic V4. Is there anything I can do? Mods and tuning? More burn in? Maybe I just need to get use to it. Even the EQ of my dap and laptop isn't getting it under control. Cable replacement? Maybe they are defective? Don't take my word for it though I'm sure they are very good.

Almost got them due to some discounted offer. Tried foams on them? I can't stomach the design though, worried about the comfort.

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #11,496 of 31,867
Almost got them due to some discounted offer. Tried foams on them? I can't stomach the design though, worried about the comfort.
oh, I actually really like the look of them. The comfort is 10/10, I know it looks unintuitive, but they are super super comfortable.
I don't have any foams on me unfortunately. The best tips I have are KZ starlines but they don't really reduce silibance.
There is a review of them on 'ThePhonograph' as well as a review of the ZSR, and a lot more IEMS. Should give you an idea of their basic characteristics.
So far I still recommend them.

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #11,497 of 31,867
You're a basshead but got the MA750? lol, that's gotta hurt. The sparkle was amazing up top though.

If you want a warmer, more musical sound-sig, the Tin Audio T1 is quite good too, I preferred it to the T2.
I think I'm a basshead. A lot of signs point to "yes". However, I'm perfectly satisfied with both the CAL! (being my favorite) and the DT 770 Pro, neither of which is considered a basshead pair of headphones, unless I've missed something. The only basshead pair of headphones I own is the V-Moda Crossfade M-100 (got it used). I like it, but it too has some bass bleed, a.k.a. a wider range of lower frequencies was boosted than I would have preferred.

This is gonna get rant-y...
And yes, it did hurt. I respect the MA750 for what it is: bright-ish but very rarely sibilant, and with smooth presentation and decent detail. However, for me it was almost bass-light. Soooo many people were (and still are?) calling it bassy, saying it had great low-end, etc. So I fell for the hype, and bought them.
I still think that the award for the largest discrepancy between reviews/opinions and reality goes to the MA750. Every single pair of head/earphones that I've purchased has been in the ballpark as far as reviews go. I could see why a reviewer would call a pair detailed or not detailed enough, or sibilant, etc. Even if my experience was different, I at least understood why a reviewer would reach to his/her conclusion. With the MA750 there is no way I would ever refer to it as bassy. Unless "bassy" means "not completely devoid of lower frequencies". Then yes, it's bassy. However "bassy" in my mind means, well, you know... with at least a noticeable bump somewhere in the bass. The MA750 are at best bass-neutral to me.

Regarding the Tin Audio T1, it was on my list but got the impression that while decent it probably won't have the necessary low-end. I'll look into the T1 again, though.

So many choices. Should I just get a bank loan, and order all of them?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #11,498 of 31,867
I think I'm a basshead. A lot of signs point to "yes". However, I'm perfectly satisfied with both the CAL! (being my favorite) and the DT 770 Pro, neither of which is considered a basshead pair of headphones, unless I've missed something. The only basshead pair of headphones I own is the V-Moda Crossfade M-100 (got it used). I like it, but it too has some bass bleed, a.k.a. a wider range of lower frequencies was boosted than I would have preferred.

This is gonna get rant-y...
And yes, it did hurt. I respect the MA750 for what it is: bright-ish but very rarely sibilant, and with smooth presentation and decent detail. However, for me it was almost bass-light. Soooo many people were (and still are?) calling it bassy, saying it had great low-end, etc. So I fell for the hype, and bought them.
I still think that the award for the largest discrepancy between reviews/opinions and reality goes to the MA750. Every single pair of head/earphones that I've purchased has been in the ballpark as far as reviews go. I could see why a reviewer would call a pair detailed or not detailed enough, or sibilant, etc. Even if my experience was different, I at least understood why a reviewer would reach to his/her conclusion. With the MA750 there is no way I would ever refer to it as bassy. Unless "bassy" means "not completely devoid of lower frequencies". Then yes, it's bassy. However "bassy" in my mind means, well, you know... with at least a noticeable bump somewhere in the bass. The MA750 are at best bass-neutral to me.

Regarding the Tin Audio T1, it was on my list but got the impression that while decent it probably won't have the necessary low-end. I'll look into the T1 again, though.

So many choices. Should I just get a bank loan, and order all of them?

Even with limited sessions on the MA750, its definitely not something I'd recommend for bass lovers

a few IEMs that I remember as having good low-ends being discussed recently is maybe the Z5000, the UiiSii CM5 and KZ ED15. The T2 Pro or T3 is still unknown, unfortunately. Or you might be interested in the latest IEM reviewed by @crabdog on his blog, https://primeaudio.org

Jun 16, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #11,499 of 31,867
a few IEMs that I remember as having good low-ends being discussed recently is maybe the Z5000
Not sure if you noticed, but I did get that one, and I was disappointed. While it does have an amazing extension and good punch, it also has a lot of bass bleed. The bass range that received a boost with the Z5000 is much too wide for my taste. The ZS3 sounds better to me, less extension on both ends, but overall smoother and more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #11,500 of 31,867
Not sure if you noticed, but I did get that one, and I was disappointed. While it does have an amazing extension and good punch, it also has a lot of bass bleed. The bass range that received a boost with the Z5000 is much too wide for my taste. The ZS3 sounds better to me, less extension on both ends, but overall smoother and more enjoyable.

yup, which is why I included it for context. People discussed about the 3 having good bass, so you might have a different requirement as to what "good bass" is compared to the ones discussed.

Jun 16, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #11,501 of 31,867
I'm about to buy the Einsear T2. I'll mostly use it for walking to work, or when i hit up the grocery store. So very casual use, and a real budget price. Anything else to consider before i purchase? I need it to have a mic and not be ugly as well.
A similar one to the Einsear T2 is the Urbanfun Hybrid. I say this because I have both.
Whether it's ugly or not is up to each listener.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #11,502 of 31,867
Edit: On a side note, I did the ZS3 mod partially.
I also did the excellent Slater Mod on the ZS3, removing the foam and taking off the red grills. Then I tested it and found the tambourine on "Shaft Theme" to be harsh. This was tested against the UrbanFun Hybrids, where it sounded really good.
A fine-tuning was needed. I covered both nozzles with micropore medical tape and replaced the foam tips. Sure, it corrected the tambourine sound nicely, but it boomed like I was in the middle of the cannon fire in the War Of 1812. I think the nozzle coverings made another "dynamic driver".
Ok, almost there. So I cut the tape and covered each nozzle halfway; 1/2 of the nozzle covered, the rest open. Ah yes, that's what I was after. No more harshness in the songs and the freqs are balanced to my liking.
YMMV

Jun 16, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #11,503 of 31,867
I'm also in the market for some bluetooth headphones to use while running. Currently have some wired ones and they keep falling out of my ears even when I'm just walking, but the wire is also annoying. I love my bluetooth headphones so naturally I'd like some bluetooth IEMs too.
Currently I'm looking at the following (budget ~$15-$25):
  • Xiaomi Mi Sports bluetooth headphones (~$24)
  • QCY QY8 (~$12)
  • QCY QY12 (~$20)
From "reviews" around the web they all seem to be very similar. Is any of these particularly recommended or am I missing any great option? Looking for any and all tips! :D

Jun 16, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #11,504 of 31,867
I've never heard of Neutralizer til now, and actually I was going to dismiss it but saw a positive review by a certain user whom I really respect so I might try it out, although I remain highly skeptical.

But a new phone? Is there a reason to recommend changing my phone? I'm confused now.

Edit: On a side note, I did the ZS3 mod partially. I removed the black foam-y thing from the canal but left the red filters.
I feel it improved the clarity and highs a tad. Would have to listen to it more, though.
If you prefer a warmer sound signature and elevated bass along with relaxed treble, the KZ Es4 might be a good choice. Another option to look at is the TRN V20.

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #11,505 of 31,867
Hi,

Yeah, foams will help make sibilance less piercing and more bearable. I love INAIRS more than I do Comply as I prefer the texture and they last longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back